PDA

View Full Version : 3 Way Tie

bludupree
09-30-2005, 09:03 AM
If Boston takes 2 of 3 and Cleveland takes 2 of 3 there will be a 3-way tie. Does anyone know how they solve this?

bludupree
09-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Nevermind...I found it

"If three teams finish with the same record and a tiebreaker is needed, the teams in the same division play a tiebreaker for first place, and the loser meets the team from the other division in a one-game wild-card tiebreaker."

SOX ADDICT '73
09-30-2005, 09:46 AM
As much as I'd hate to see the Sox lose 2 of 3 this weekend, this is probably the most ideal situation (provided that Cleveland loses on Tuesday). All three teams would have to lay it out for those games, using their best starters and relievers. Monday's loser (NY or Boston) would have to play two extra games before facing the White Sox. We might get to face their #3 starter!

Of course, if those bastard Jndians won the Tuesday game, we'd be right back to playing the Angels, who will have had the same amount of extra rest as the Sox.

Make it a moot point and eliminate the Tribe this weekend, boys!

ChicagoHoosier
09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm lucky enough to have tickets to the Sox games 1 and 2 but have to take off work to attend, so this throws a wrench in my plans since this would potentially force the Sox to play Game 1 on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, right? Because, our first round opponent won't be determined until after this play-in game on Tuesday.

Not complaining, just wish I could come up with a better system.

LauraJ14
09-30-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm lucky enough to have tickets to the Sox games 1 and 2 but have to take off work to attend, so this throws a wrench in my plans since this would potentially force the Sox to play Game 1 on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, right? Because, our first round opponent won't be determined until after this play-in game on Tuesday.

I just wish that MLB could come up with a better system so that its not Monday and they still are deciding who is playing at what time and what day. Maybe more will become clearer by Sunday but that doesn't leave much time to plan the work schedule, good thing my boss is flexible.

BNLSox
09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah, its frustrating to have zero clue who we are playing and at what time. I unfortunately think that ties are quite likely as we will certainly not be going 100% and couple that with Boston having NY at Fenway.

Either way, we have nothing to worry about except getting ready for post season baseball.

Go Sox,

harwar
09-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't want to see any extra games mon. or tues.I would like the yankees & red sox to have to go through us .
I want to beat the best to get to the world series.
I'm still a little bummed that the 85 bears didn't demolish the 49ers and the dolphins(instead of rams & patriots) on their great run.

mpshans
09-30-2005, 11:05 AM
I just wish that MLB could come up with a better system so that its not Monday and they still are deciding who is playing at what time and what day. Maybe more will become clearer by Sunday but that doesn't leave much time to plan the work schedule, good thing my boss is flexible.

I am sure that there are plenty of folks who would love to have the problem of getting off work to get to the game if they could only have the tickets. That being said I am not one of them (I do have a job and a flexible boss as well). I get the point I just don't see any way of MLB trying to fix any set anything before all the games are played out. I have been loving the wild card the last few years keepig me interested in scorboard watching all over MLB (it feels more like football) the last few weeks of the season. I am willing to get the last min info on game times and such in exchange for the last few weeks of the season being more interesting.

34 Inch Stick
09-30-2005, 11:06 AM
I like playoff baseball and two extra games of it would be more than welcomed. It would also be a situation where managers would be burning up starters in relief situations in a "win today" mentality. This could only mean good things for the Sox.

The Red Sox and Yankees would essentially be playing a 5 game playoff before the playoffs.

lumpyspun
09-30-2005, 11:16 AM

I know how you feel man...I am trying to figure out flight arrangements to get there for Game 2...absolutely brutal.

thank god im so happy!

Paulwny
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM
I like playoff baseball and two extra games of it would be more than welcomed. It would also be a situation where managers would be burning up starters in relief situations in a "win today" mentality. This could only mean good things for the Sox.

The Red Sox and Yankees would essentially be playing a 5 game playoff before the playoffs.

I'm with you, the more they play is an advantage for the sox.

Johnny Mostil
09-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I'm skeptical about how much the Sox are helped or hurt by other teams still having to go all out. It didn't hurt the M's that they clinched a wild card spot on the last day of the '00 season and then had to play a "rested" Sox team, did it? It also didn't hurt the Mets in '99 that they had to play an extra game for the wild card and then play the "rested" Diamondbacks.

Don't get me wrong; I'm confident about the team's chances against any of the AL playoff teams. And I know having to play two extra games as the Yankees or Red Sox might have to do hasn't occurred in a while and never in divisional play (though, um, two extra games didn't hurt the Dodgers in '59, either, did it?). But for now I'm just a guy focusing on a 0-0 postseason record more than anything else . . .