PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Moments of the Regular Season

rdwj
09-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Some of my favorite memories...

The Buehrle miracle! Within one day he went from out for 6 -8 weeks to missing one preseason start.
Early in the season, we had a play where there was a past ball and the tying run looked like it was going to score from third. AJ quickly got the ball to Marte for the tag! Close play - Sox win!
Ozzie's Maggs rant
Frank's first homer of the season
Garland taking a no-no to the 7th against the Mariners
Rowand's unbelievable defensive series in NY
DJ coins the phrase "Rocket Surgery"
Jenks first 100 mph fastball
Ozuna stealing home
Joe's walk off homer last week
Hawk's "Mercy" call right after the win
AJ stepping on Boone and scoring the go ahead against the Indians
Paulie snagging the game winner to clinch
Hopefully - there are many more to come as we enter post season!

ode to veeck
09-30-2005, 08:34 AM
AJ stomping Boone on the way home

bigdommer
09-30-2005, 08:41 AM
As far as moments go:

-AJ's game winner against the Dodgers
-Uribe's play against Cleveland in the top of 9
-BMac at Fenway
-The inning against the Big Unit

rdwj
09-30-2005, 08:43 AM
-AJ's game winner against the Dodgers
-Uribe's play against Cleveland in the top of 9

Man, those are two HUGE ones I forgot. I'm sure there are more too

cleanwsox
09-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Garland taking a no-no to the 9th against the Mariners

When was this?

Viva Medias B's
09-30-2005, 08:47 AM
I would say AJ's home run against the Dodgers. I was there, and the place went nuts.

rdwj
09-30-2005, 08:52 AM
When was this?

Whoops - I'm sorry! It was the 7th. I don't know why I thought it was further :?:

Probably too many :gulp: at the game. I'll make the edit

soxfan26
09-30-2005, 08:53 AM
The Buehrle miracle! Within one day he went from out for 6 - 8 weeks to missing one preseason start. That was a close one.:duck:

Baby Fisk
09-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Not that I'm self-absorbed or anything, but in addition to all the biggies listed above, there were some great moments I got to enjoy in person:

May 6, Toronto - Sitting in the upper deck at Rogers Centre, I met a couple of Sox fans who drove up from Chicago. We all went wild when Dye blasted a HR for a White Sox winner. Typical Jays fans just looked at us quietly and disapprovingly. :bandance:

June 30, Detroit - After a two hour rain delay, Freddy Garcia SHUT DOWN the Tigers in just over two hours. Rowand made a nice diving catch to seal the deal in the 9th. :bandance:

MeteorsSox4367
09-30-2005, 09:06 AM
To shorten it to four:

1. The clincher vs. Tigers
2. AJ's HR vs. Dodgers
3. Crede's HR vs. Indians
4. Dye's game-winning HR vs. Anaheim (I was there!!)

Does anyone have a good picture of Pierzynski after his homer against LA? Just the smirk on his face and the bat hanging in the background...awesome.

soxfan26
09-30-2005, 09:09 AM
To shorten it to four:

1. The clincher vs. Tigers
2. AJ's HR vs. Dodgers
3. Crede's HR vs. Indians
4. Dye's game-winning HR vs. Anaheim (I was there!!)

Does anyone have a good picture of Pierzynski after his homer against LA? Just the smirk on his face and the bat hanging in the background...awesome.

:walkoff:

MeteorsSox4367
09-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Soxfan26 - Thanks very much for the picture of Pierzynski after his game-winner. I now have a new wallpaper on my computer. Thanks again.

Go Sox!!! This Is Our Year!!!

sageofthesox
09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
Everybody seems to forget this one.

Back on Wednesday, April 6, the White Sox had scored only one run during the season's first 17 innings and were entering the ninth trailing Cleveland 3-0.

Wickman came out to pitch the ninth and gave up a hit, I believe it was Everett. Konerko then hit a 2-run homer, making it 3-2 Cleveland. Dye followed with a solo homer to tie the score.

As the inning progressed, Harris laid down a beautiful pinch hit bunt (safe at first). Then Uribe drove home a White Sox winner with a sac fly.

We wouldn't be celebrating today without that HUGE win before a sparce crowd back in April.

kaufsox
09-30-2005, 09:40 AM
AJ game winner v. Dodgers

Who hit the homer v. LAA to win on like 5/31? That was pretty awesome too.

rdwj
09-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Everybody seems to forget this one.

Back on Wednesday, April 6, the White Sox had scored only one run during the season's first 17 innings and were entering the ninth trailing Cleveland 3-0.

Wickman came out to pitch the ninth and gave up a hit, I believe it was Everett. Konerko then hit a 2-run homer, making it 3-2 Cleveland. Dye followed with a solo homer to tie the score.

As the inning progressed, Harris laid down a beautiful pinch hit bunt (safe at first). Then Uribe drove home a White Sox winner with a sac fly.

We wouldn't be celebrating today without that HUGE win before a sparce crowd back in April.

That was a great one!

Domeshot17
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Crede's home run in 10 is my homer pick ( because, like many of us with our picks, I was there!) but truthfully, Minus maybe game 1 of the bulls playoff series ( I was in the upper Deck Noo-Chi-On-EE section) I have never seen a crowd so electric as I did when Crede hit it. The Tunnells were INSANE, the streets were loud, it was awesome!

Another one people forget, that again symbolized out resilience ( spelling?) Aarons game winner in San Diego.

Cant Forget Dustin and his amazing scoreless inning streak

And one of my favorite, bittersweet moments of the season

Baltimore- Buehlre gets tossed after defending team mates had been hit 3 times in 2 days by the O's, and a pissed Buehlre goes into the dugout, where he was thanked and high 5'd by all of his team mates. He may have lost that iron man pitching streak, but if anyone had any doubts about Buehlre, they did not anymore.

All those just seem to symbolize the TEAM of the Sox. Playing together, new heros every night, it isnt like Boston, we do not live on Die on David Ortiz to bail out bad pitching after bad pitching, after all the up and all the downs, we made our own breaks for 96 seasons, and everyone in the lineup, at one time or another, "Played David Ortiz"

sageofthesox
09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Timo's huge two-out hit in the ninth on Memorial Day to beat the Angels.

Foulke You
09-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Here are a few of my favorites:

1) Timo using a creative way of showing his shortstop Juan Uribe how many outs there were by flipping him the bird. The camera was zoomed nice and close to show a smiling Timo with the 1 finger salute extended followed by 30 seconds of silence by Hawk and DJ.:D:

2) Also, anyone remember a sellout half price night (August?) versus Detroit where it looked like we were going to lose and then put on an offensive clinic late in the game? I remember it was capped off by a 3 run HR by Joe Crede and then Juan Uribe hit a solo blast right afterward. The crowd was so loud you couldn't hear the "Go Go Sox" fight song in the background.

3) Opening Day 1-0, masterfully pitched 1hr 50 min game by Buehrle. It really set the tone for what this 2005 season was going to be about. Pitching and defense.

Foulke You
09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
All those just seem to symbolize the TEAM of the Sox. Playing together, new heros every night, it isnt like Boston, we do not live on Die on David Ortiz to bail out bad pitching after bad pitching, after all the up and all the downs, we made our own breaks for 96 seasons, and everyone in the lineup, at one time or another, "Played David Ortiz"
That is a great point Dome. The Carmines depend solely on 2 guys (Manny and Ortiz) to bail them out. As we know in baseball, a balanced attack is more important in the playoffs and the Sox certainly have a ton of heroes this year. Contreras's second half, Crede's big HRs, Timo's big hits, Clutch saves from Hermanson, a solid first half from El Duque, Frank giving the team a 2 week homer binge, the list goes on and on.

CaptainBallz
09-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Not so specific, but things that I'll remember this season for---

The Sox streak of games having the lead (I forget how many:?:)
The best start in franchise history
Wire-to-Wire!
Ozzie's Mouth
Buerhle's Streak of Games with 6+ IP Snapped:angry:
Frank's short-lived, but HUGE return
Vote for Pods Campaign
Nail-biter, after nail-biter, after nail-biter
Grinder Rules
Proving EVERYBODY wrong
Cleveland's late season push getting handily PUSHED BACK

more to come......

lumpyspun
09-30-2005, 11:56 AM
I only got to see the Sox live when the came to play the M's at Safeco...but the series did not disappoint. Three moments from that series that could be included in favorite moments of the season were:

1) Brian Anderson's two homers in one game off of Felix "the next Dwight Gooden" Hernandez
2) Iguchi's extra inning two run homer in the same game
3) A Bobby Jenks fastball read "102mph" on the radar at Safeco

Damer
09-30-2005, 12:00 PM
*4 homers in an inning against Randy Johnson
* Squeeze play (for a white sox winner) at Yankee Stadium (I was there)
*The first time I saw Jenks pitch: not being impressed with his fastball, but with his curveball.
*And recently, Hawk on Mariotti (I'm going to butcher this, so assistance would be helpful):
"Mariotti is a hiney-bird. A hiney-bird just flies by himself, flying in concentric circles until eventually he flies up his own behind."

Muopsies
09-30-2005, 12:02 PM
A early May game against Texas after we had our first 3 game losing streak. Garland was threatening to implode and AJ scolded him on the mound. Texas had 2nd and 3rd with no outs and Jon got the next 3 outs to preserve the lead.

Memorial Day: the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim vs the Chicago White Sox of Chicago. Frank's first game back, sell out. Marte screwed up, Timo's clutch hit. Saw it from the Bullpen Bar.

The second game of that series, Dye hit a walk off to win, as soon as he hit it, everyone got up.

The Saturday Cub game at Wrigley. PK's amazing double and Patterson's flub. Never so excited, at least until yesterday.

The 10 run inning against Arizona, we had just sucked the last 2 days and were seemingly headed for another loss until this blast. First 5+ run inning of the season.

Of course, AJ against the Dodgers. Remember where I was when I saw that. A sign of the times.

Blowout of the Cubs on a hot hot day.

The entire series against the Indians just after the All Start break, headed by Jose's amazing game with Aaron bailing out ScoPo. Set the tone, at least we thought. Mark smashes Hafner in the face.

Against Boston at home on a Friday night. Just lost a heart breaker the night before and Jon was awesome, striking out Ortiz and Manny with 2 on. That following Sunday was another clutch performance by Jose, earning the split against his nemesis.

At Yankee Stadium. Rowand becomes nationally known. Blum saves the day and Jose again exorcises some demons along with Juan getting the best of Mariano Rivera with a triple. Huge huge wins.

The next win 10 days later against Randy Johnson. Day before I move, looks bleak and again Jose mows down the Yanks and the Sox come to life again.

Garcia's 1 hitter against the Twins. It sucked but it was an amazing pitching performance. Hey, we got the last laugh.

Last game at the Homerdome, the first of many make or break games, the Sox with amazing double plays and some clutch hits and Jenks mows em down in the 9th.

Crede against the Indians. See above.

Jose again, against the Twins last Friday. Make or break.

Yesterday's win, the weight of the world lifted of the shoulders of Sox fans everywhere, not to mention the teams as well.

I expect 11 more of these soon enough.

ChicagoHoosier
09-30-2005, 01:13 PM
I don't remember the exact game, but early in the season and I was on the Clubhouse Chat. I commented more than once that this team didn't have what it took that night to win. We looked lethargic, made some baserunning and fielding mistakes, and were en route to a loss. We bounced back and had two nice innings late in the game to manufacture a few runs to go ahead and then our pen shut them down from there. It was that point that made me realize this gritty team was never out of any ballgame and any part of our lineup was capable of producing. It certainly taught me to never give up on this team no matter what situation we were in. They did it time and time again. We'd be down and I'd just say "we'll still pull it out" and often we did. (especially the first half).

As far as a boom boom exciting moment... being at that Yankee game for that huge inning of HR after HR after HR was sure special.

BeviBall!
09-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Trying to recall some not-so-obvious ones.

Garland's shut out in Oakland... then Dye playing SS later in the series.

The extra-inning game (Detroit) in which Shingo and Viz threw about 4 IP of scoreless ball... and Juan's unbelieveable play in the 9th to send it to extras.

Same series, the leadoff triple, in the 9th, by Irod... only to have Herm retire the next three in order.

MB's shutout against LA on a friday night where the crowd chants "Buehrle, Buehrle" the entire 9th inning.

The standing ovation we gave KC on Sunday.

The 6-run, 6th inning thanks to Royce the Choice, against AZ to stop getting swept for the first time.

McCarthy's "first game" where he blanks the red hot Rangers.