PDA

View Full Version : Comerica Park review

hose
09-30-2005, 08:11 AM
Overall I liked the park, but it seemed to me that the Tigers tried to do to many things and lost focus.

First off the outfield scoreboard is off center and is partially hidden by the upper deck stands.

They reconfigured the leftfield wall by bringing in the fences. The park is still massive and a pitchers delight.

I think the stands could be closer to the field.

I had a rib baskest at Montgomery Rib Inn which is in the rightfield corner above the stands. The ribs were delicious and the fan deck looks pretty cool. I couldn't eat in the fan deck on either day because it booked for a corporate private party.

I also tried garlic fries for the first time and they were ok. I think they would sell pretty good at US Cellular.

The view of downtown is pretty cool looking over the huge General Motors sign in center. A water fountain kicks in now and then with colored lights.

I would rate Comerica two thumbs up, but I still like the Cell better.

I-94 in Metro Detroit was a absolute nightmare. Worse road work conditions I've ever come across.

wdelaney72
09-30-2005, 08:23 AM
Overall I liked the park, but it seemed to me that the Tigers tried to do to many things and lost focus.

First off the outfield scoreboard is off center and is partially hidden by the upper deck stands.

They reconfigured the leftfield wall by bringing in the fences. The park is still massive and a pitchers delight.

I had a rib baskest at Montgomery Rib Inn which is in the rightfield corner above the stands. The ribs were delicious and the fan deck looks pretty cool. I couldn't eat in the fan deck on either day because it booked for a corporate private party.

I also tried garlic fries for the first time and they were ok. I think they would sell pretty good at US Cellular.

The view of downtown is pretty cool looking over the huge General Motors sign in center. A water fountain kicks in now and then with colored lights.

I-94 in Metro Detroit was a absolute nightmare. Worse road work conditions I've ever come across.

The only time I've been to Detroit, the kitties for out of town. I did go and stroll around the park, and check out the gift shop. It's very open so I was able to get a nice view of the field and the stands.

I was impressed. I thought it had a lot of charm and was quite unique. I'd love to see a game there.

Baby Fisk
09-30-2005, 08:41 AM
It's a very nice park. Wide open feel to the place because of the open outfield and view of the city. Lower deck seats felt close to the action. Lots of neat historical Tigers stuff to look at on the concourse. Main gift shoppe is mammoth (two levels). I like the giant tigers on top of the scoreboard. Best of all: the ferris wheel!

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 12:24 PM
It's a very nice park. Wide open feel to the place because of the open outfield and view of the city. Lower deck seats felt close to the action. Lots of neat historical Tigers stuff to look at on the concourse. Main gift shoppe is mammoth (two levels). I like the giant tigers on top of the scoreboard. Best of all: the ferris wheel!

Doesn't compare, however, to Tigers Stadium which is still standing (barely).

Tigers Stadium was like the old Chicago Stadium (hockey) - you were right on top of the action and the balcony seats were awesome as well.

ssirish317
09-30-2005, 02:07 PM
I was there for a game last year. I loved how the main concourse was at street level and the field was below it, so sitting in the lower deck you walk down to your seats, eliminating walking down ramps when leaving like at the Cell.

Brian26
09-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Comerica is a nice park. It's roomy. I also love the fact that the field is below street level.

They seem to have a nice set-up with their concessions. I'm not a big fan of Little Ceasar's Pizza, but they seemed to be selling a lot of the $2.50 slices. I also like their Tiger "Re-Tail" souvenir shops. Those were nice.

But, the thing that stood out the most was the competence of their security staff and ushers. They were top-notch, first class all the way. They would check your tickets and wipe the seat off for you before you sat down. I already mentioned in another thread about security behind the plate keeping people from acting like idiots on tv. Some Tiger drunks were giving us Sox fans some crap before Thursday's game and during the national anthem. Those fans were removed from their seats before the first pitch. The staff was in full-force, responsive, and friendly. I hope the Sox can get a staff like that some day.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Comerica is a nice park. It's roomy. I also love the fact that the field is below street level.

They seem to have a nice set-up with their concessions. I'm not a big fan of Little Ceasar's Pizza, but they seemed to be selling a lot of the $2.50 slices. I also like their Tiger "Re-Tail" souvenir shops. Those were nice.

But, the thing that stood out the most was the competence of their security staff and ushers. They were top-notch, first class all the way. They would check your tickets and wipe the seat off for you before you sat down. I already mentioned in another thread about security behind the plate keeping people from acting like idiots on tv. Some Tiger drunks were giving us Sox fans some crap before Thursday's game and during the national anthem. Those fans were removed from their seats before the first pitch. The staff was in full-force, responsive, and friendly. I hope the Sox can get a staff like that some day.

I agree. As a former Andy Frain usher I have been disappointed at the White Sox ushers and security - they do an OK job after the incident but do not do a good job preventing things from getting out of hand in the first place (except for by the visiting bullpen they are quick to jump on things early). I always tip the usher $1 or $2 when they walk you down to the seats and wipe them off. I've never seen this done at the cell but have at several parks including Detroit. The ushers who do this are usually the retirees who supplement their income and want to work among people at the park and catch the game - not the young type who would think it would be beneath them to provide good customer service.

The Tiger fans on hand were good baseball fans (they had to be - it was a day game and they are out of it). I had good discussions with several and had a great time at the game.

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2005, 02:38 PM
For a few innings of the game yesterday, I sat behind a huge Tigers fan about my age who went to the game by himself, and he and I talked at length about the ballpark, the amenities, etc. One big difference between Comerica and the Cell is the fact that they still employ many older, longtime ushers, who actually, you know, usher you to your seat. The usher in our section was named Paul, and he was 90 or 91, the oldest active usher in all of MLB; pretty cool (although I overheard him telling the Tigers fan that "I thought Indians fans were bad...but these White Sox fans..." and then he trailed off -- which I just didn't get, as every single Sox fan I saw was behaving themselves, not being jerky, and not rubbing anything in).

I remarked to the Tigers fan how ridiculous I thought it was that my seat (in row 33) cost $35 but 20 rows in front of me it was $60. He then immediately said, "Oh man, you shouldn't have bought a $35 ticket. Just buy a $5 ticket in the upper deck and sit down here." I told him that you could never do that at the Cell anymore. He also said a couple bucks to the usher didn't hurt, either. In any case, the ushers were very cool about letting Sox fans migrate towards the first few rows in the 8th/9th innings.

As for the park, I liked it. It's very roomy with huge concourses and lots of little food/drink stands dotting the concourse, plus several balcony type areas to sit. It looks like the last few rows of the UD are really far from the field, but I really liked my 33rd row vantage point.

Brian26
09-30-2005, 02:45 PM
The ushers who do this are usually the retirees who supplement their income and want to work among people at the park and catch the game - not the young type who would think it would be beneath them to provide good customer service.

I wanted to mention the same thing, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. I noticed this exact same thing though. The ushers and some of the security were older guys (probably late 50s to mid 60s)...they all did a great job and were totally on-the-ball, but to supplement these ushers, they had some middle-age bad ass security guys (dressed the same way) that would get radioed if something got out of control. It was really cool...these guys all wanted to be there. There was no attitude at all like you see at the Cell (with either the college-age ushers or the off-duty police/security). It was a model situation on how to run a friendly, safe event. I was totally impressed.

soxwon
09-30-2005, 10:53 PM

did you go to HOCKEY TOWN across the street?
Great Bar, meet a ton of sox fans there a few years back.

Brian26
10-01-2005, 10:29 AM
did you go to HOCKEY TOWN across the street?
Great Bar, meet a ton of sox fans there a few years back.

I thought it was a dump. Wilkes and a couple of other people mentioned it was nothing special, and they were 100% correct. This place is hyped up to be like ESPNZone, and it's not even close. The upstairs is a dump with the shabby red carpeting and flimsy tables. The memorabilia isn't even that cool. The service was awful, the food was worse than Johnny Rockets across the street. I was totally unimpressed with the place.

Mohoney
10-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I like Comerica, and have attended Sox games there three years in a row now.

The staff is great, the park looks nice with all the historical tributes in the concourses, and most importantly, the Sox record in the games I've been at there is 4-0.

skobabe8
10-01-2005, 10:56 AM
I thought it was a dump. Wilkes and a couple of other people mentioned it was nothing special, and they were 100% correct. This place is hyped up to be like ESPNZone, and it's not even close. The upstairs is a dump with the shabby red carpeting and flimsy tables. The memorabilia isn't even that cool. The service was awful, the food was worse than Johnny Rockets across the street. I was totally unimpressed with the place.

I was dissapointed with hockeytown too. It looked pretty cool from the outside so we made our way over there after the game, but inside was really just *bleh*. I'm glad we decided to eat at Elwoods behind the Comerica scoreboard instead of wasting our time at hockeytown.

nasox
10-01-2005, 03:36 PM
I wanted to mention the same thing, but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate. I noticed this exact same thing though. The ushers and some of the security were older guys (probably late 50s to mid 60s)...they all did a great job and were totally on-the-ball, but to supplement these ushers, they had some middle-age bad ass security guys (dressed the same way) that would get radioed if something got out of control. It was really cool...these guys all wanted to be there. There was no attitude at all like you see at the Cell (with either the college-age ushers or the off-duty police/security). It was a model situation on how to run a friendly, safe event. I was totally impressed.

Yeah, the Cubs do this, and I really like it. I wish we could do that, instead of have some punk kids with attitudes.