PDA

View Full Version : Latest must read article from Kass

Banix12
09-30-2005, 01:50 AM
Man if he doesn't have a pulitzer, he should.

Kass article (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050929kass,1,362343.column?coll=cs-home-headlines)

elrod
09-30-2005, 01:55 AM
Yes, that's the best Kass article all year. He really hit it. The White Sox are not the most talented team. But they have a lot of guts. And that counts for a lot in the post-season. I'm starting to think we're lucky Cleveland challenged us down the stretch, because the fire never went out in these guys.

RadioheadRocks
09-30-2005, 02:28 AM
Outstanding... Kass says it All!!!!! :D:

SOXintheBURGH
09-30-2005, 02:33 AM
:moron

"Who is this Kass, some Reinsdorf pay out!?"

Brilliant article.

PaulDrake
09-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Besides the fact that he's one of us I've always felt that Kass is very underrated and underappreciated. He had to follow in the footsteps of a true journalistic legend.

MeteorsSox4367
09-30-2005, 08:50 AM
"Please don't miss this. Don't cheat yourself by trying to protect your hearts. There is no protection. There never was."

Was John Kass watching me as I ran around the living room hugging the dog after Crede's homer beat Cleveland? Has Kass been watching me watch the Sox for the last 30-plus years?

If you haven't read Kass' column, read it. NOW!! It's simply brilliant journalism and written with the true heart of a Sox fan.

John Kass, YESSSSSS!!!!!!

THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!!

ode to veeck
09-30-2005, 09:00 AM
it's unfortunate that out of many articles at the trib, its the only decent one

rdwj
09-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Wow - that was outstanding! It actually brought a tear to my eye

soxfan26
09-30-2005, 09:17 AM
They might win the World Series—they are built on pitching. But then they might not win. The thing is, they're in the playoffs and have a chance and there's one thing we know now about them—they won't quit.

This says it all for me. Great article!

Cat Thief
09-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Wow - that was outstanding! It actually brought a tear to my eye

:yup:

"legs with roots on them"

Except for that part!

Cutter
09-30-2005, 09:41 AM
"What happened to the great collapse? What happened to those bitter and nagging broadcast tongues and few newspaper fingertips that had tried to strip the skin off this ballclub with constant and withering attacks and predictions of a choke?

Here's what happened: Konerko and the other White Sox stomped those nagging tongues into the afternoon infield dirt in Detroit on that final out."

What I wouldn't give to hear John Facenda recite those two lines.

Pulaski
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Outstanding article!!!

Cellview22
09-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Great article! Thanks for the link...it made my morning. :worship: http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2001-07/295611.gif

Domeshot17
09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
One of the best articles I have read all season. For all the junk media we bash on here daily, its good to see someone understands this team. Just emailed it to my girlfriend 2 professors who are big sox fans!

:gulp: Heres to you Cass

Ol' No. 2
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
But he didn't quit. I don't think White Sox fans quit; though there were plenty of voices urging fans to bail. And if a few hopped off the bus for a moment when the ride got rough, I propose we give them dispensation and let them hop back on to be with their brothers and sisters in this and appreciate what we've got.

Please don't miss this. Don't cheat yourself by trying to protect your hearts. There is no protection. There never was.Has he been reading WSI?:cool:

Iwritecode
09-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Has he been reading WSI?:cool:

Obviously Rick Morrissey has been:

It was frightful for a good, long while the last two months, with the Sox staggering home and the Indians so hot they needed fire-retardant uniforms. Some of us were so discouraged by the Sox's Amazing Shrinking Lead, we gave up on them. Shame on those some of us.

tebman
09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Outstanding article!!!
It really is -- I actually bought a Tribune today, partly so that I could read Kass's article, but also to save the pictures and accounts of the game for posterity. He feels it just like we do.

I also read the various articles and the congratulatory editorial, and saw no tangential mentions of the National League Ball Club. What remarkable discipline they showed there in the Trib newsroom! Or maybe it's simple embarrassment. :D:

FielderJones
09-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Man if he doesn't have a pulitzer, he should.

Nahh, this is a subject that's right in Kass' wheelhouse. When he writes about the White Sox or corrupt Illinois politics, Kass is as good as anyone. When he tries writing about national politics or religion, Kass has reached his level of incompetance.:rolleyes:

tacosalbarojas
09-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Kass>rest of Chicago sports media

ChiSoxGirl
09-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Kass>rest of Chicago sports media

Well said, my friend! That article is a MUST READ, without question! I luuuv Sox fans in the media! :D:

Wsoxmike59
10-01-2005, 05:40 PM
Outstanding... Kass says it All!!!!! :D:

Right on RadioHead. I read that in yesterday's Trib and absolutely loved it. Honorable mention to Phil Arvia in the Daily Southtown. He wrote a similar article about the clincher.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/Acurrent/arvia.htm

Konerko jumped to snare a line drive off the bat of Placido Polanco. He landed as a member of the 2005 American League Central champs, as Polanco, the potential winning run, became instead the last out of a 4-2 Sox win. Ozzie Guillen later recalled the leap by holding his hands apart by about the depth of a deep dish pizza. Konerko protested, saying, "That was at least NBA-quality vertical right there.

MarySwiss
10-01-2005, 05:51 PM
Right on RadioHead. I read that in yesterday's Trib and absolutely loved it. Honorable mention to Phil Arvia in the Daily Southtown. He wrote a similar article about the clincher.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/Acurrent/arvia.htm

Konerko jumped to snare a line drive off the bat of Placido Polanco. He landed as a member of the 2005 American League Central champs, as Polanco, the potential winning run, became instead the last out of a 4-2 Sox win. Ozzie Guillen later recalled the leap by holding his hands apart by about the depth of a deep dish pizza. Konerko protested, saying, "That was at least NBA-quality vertical right there.

Yes. Excellent article. :smile:

Wsoxmike59
10-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Yes. Excellent article. :smile:

Thanks MarySwiss! Bob Verdi has a nice column about the Sox in tomorrow's upcoming Sunday Tribune.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051001verdi,1,67061,print.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Sox have veered into rare atmosphere for local teams
Bob Verdi
Sunday Column

October 2, 2005

It will not be a bird. It will not be a plane. And it absolutely will not be Superman.

It will be a blimp. That's correct. Unless it snows, always a distinct possibility for Chicago in early October, what you will see bobbing and weaving over U.S. Cellular Field this week is a blimp, a staple of television networks covering major sports events.

That automatically qualifies the blimp as an unidentified flying object in these parts, where postseason baseball is always an outright improbability.

NWSox
10-01-2005, 11:02 PM
I always read Kass and take great comfort in his real White Sox allegiance. He wrote a great column back in 2003 after the Sox had truly collapsed against Minnesota and the rest of the baseball world was salivating over the Cubs - Red Sox possibilities. He captured my feelings then exactly (there's nothing cute or profound about being a Sox fan; it just really hurts) and he did it again on Friday. It's nice to have a writer who's one of us.

MarySwiss
10-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Thanks MarySwiss! Bob Verdi has a nice column about the Sox in tomorrow's upcoming Sunday Tribune.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-051001verdi,1,67061,print.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Wow! Also excellent! I always did like Verdi. And it sure is nice to finally be getting some well-deserved media props, don'tcha think?

Meanwhile, please, Dark Cloud mediots--and you know who you are--stay the hell away!

Frankfan4life
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Konerko jumped to snare a line drive off the bat of Placido Polanco. He landed as a member of the 2005 American League Central champs.When I first read that line in the paper, it gave me goose bumps. It still does. Well done, Phil. Well, done Chicago White Sox!

NardiWasHere
10-02-2005, 01:05 PM
When he tries writing about national politics or religion, Kass has reached his level of incompetance.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Kass is Greek Orthodox, as am I, and he always is able to perfectly capture the experience. I think his ability to write about something personal like that and, at the same time, make it accessible to everyone is much harder to do then it seems.