PDA

View Full Version : I thought ESPN was bad, add Sporting News Radio to the list...

HotelWhiteSox
09-30-2005, 01:23 AM
I guess this is the best place to post this crap. Was listening to the Score briefly, and now, at midnight, they switch to Sporting News Radio

*insert vomit tag here*

Besides the fact that the Sox game was about the 5th game they got to in the updates, this idiot is on my airwaves, Rick Ballou, and tries to make it obvious that he some sort of jealous, disgruntled Cub fan.

First, he says he's only ever met/seen/known two White Sox fans and wonders where they are (as if it's our fault that he has no friends). He wonders how we will sell out the playoff games and if we will even sell out at all, ummm yeah, tell that to all the Sox fans on the board who were left out in the blue and to the many paying the extreme prices to just be at the game.

Then, he says how anyone who called in to the Score today and said how they've been through it all and stuck with them is BS, and are just the "patehtic" fans who just follow the winners around, and don't really know anything. He also claims that he'd be sure that everyone quit and it's BS that anyone thought they could make the playoffs, which is a slap in the face to me and the many on the board who knew we'd win the division or at least get in. And so what if some had worries? Why is it a bad reflection on the fans if the team went through a slump? You're telling me NYY/Bos fans aren't worried right now? *****

And to finish off (well, the idiot is probably still talking. I would say to himself, but I'm sure Flub fans are eating it up. This is the point I shut it off, however), he goes on an attack on Hawk and Ozzie. He says Hawk is so horrible, he doesn't know how he has a job, and it shows how safe everyone else in his business if Hawk has a job. Then he was starting about how he dislikes Ozzie and I just turned it off. I mean, entitled to your opinion, many don't like the broadcasters, but ***? Nice timing, what a coincidence that he decides to go after the Sox, however, I guess the conflict comes on why I would think that anyone gives a **** on what this jag thinks?

Even though, he's an idiot, but I thought Sporting News was Chicago based? ***? Why spread lies and stereotypes to anyone who was as stupid as me to listen? There is no other explanation other than being a disgruntled/jealous Cub fan. Erik Asillyass is better than this piece of ****, and if you remember Erik Asillyass, then you know how I feel about this guy. I guess this is the new approach and slogan of the national media (can Sporting News even be considered a national media outlet at this point?), "The team made us look like idiots, so let's go after their fans, reputation, and anything else we can get our hands on". :angry:

RadioheadRocks
09-30-2005, 01:44 AM
Rick Ballou... this one's for you...

http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser-thumb.jpg (http://www.sallad.net/blog/loser.jpg)

"LOSER!!!!!"

spongyfungy
09-30-2005, 01:45 AM
ballou is a Bostonian. of course he liked Hawk when he was with Dick Stockton.

You shut the radio off at the right time. He quotes mariotti about Guillen being a racist. I couldn't believe how long his tirade was.

Then Jesse Rogers calls in and talks with him.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 02:26 AM
Even though, he's an idiot, but I thought Sporting News was Chicago based? ***? Why spread lies and stereotypes to anyone who was as stupid as me to listen?

Sporting News has been based out of St. Louis for over 100 years. I used to subscribe / read religiously pre-internet days. They became a more general sports weekly when baseball had the strike and the NFL gained in popularity and I dropped my subscription.

They used to be One on One Sports and I liked their Sunday broadcast with a person stationed at every stadium. They went off the air in Chicago a few years back (820-AM) and can only be heard on satellite radio, on line or the graveyard shift on the Score. I liked Papa Joe who now has a show in Vegas - my second favorite city on Earth.

hsnterprize
09-30-2005, 02:51 AM
I used to work at Sporting News Radio when it was One on One Sports back in the late 90's. Despite their national audience, the station is based in Northbrook, IL (for those of you who aren't from Chicagoland, that's a suburb about 35 miles north of Chicago). I guess Sporting News Radio is so good that you can't really listen to it in Chicago unless you listen to SportsRadio 670 overnight or on the SNR website.

This Rick Ballou idiot is just spouting off the same crap other people on the radio have said about the Sox for this entire season. Don't mind him or anyone else's crap about the team. Let the team's performance speak for itself.

BTW..."Papa" Joe Chevalier was a great guy to work with. Peter Brown (who now hosts a show in Milwaukee) was funny, but could be a jerk at times. "The Stinkin' Genius" Arnie Spanier is CRAZY about New York sports since he's from there (he named his daughter "Shea" for Shea Stadium and his dog "Knicky" when I was there), and Jay Mariotti only worked on the weekends, but he was much of a jerk then as he is now.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 03:40 AM
BTW..."Papa" Joe Chevalier was a great guy to work with. Peter Brown (who now hosts a show in Milwaukee) was funny, but could be a jerk at times. "The Stinkin' Genius" Arnie Spanier is CRAZY about New York sports since he's from there (he named his daughter "Shea" for Shea Stadium and his dog "Knicky" when I was there), and Jay Mariotti only worked on the weekends, but he was much of a jerk then as he is now.

Sounds like a cool gig. I loved listening to Papa Joe Chevalier and am glad Arnie Spanier is back. Bob Berger is still with Stelton but I see Bruce Murray, who used to be with Bob on the weekends when I used to listen and then switched to mornings is not there. I liked Scott Wetzel who used to be on before Berger & Murray but now is the morning host (which they switched Murray to).

One on One sports was pretty good - the only sports radio I ever listened to. I don't listen to the Score or ESPN - both are brutal.

Anyway thanks for the update.

chitownhawkfan
09-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Rick Ballou, Who the **** is Rick Ballou?

(cue up the Pedro pic)

Seriously are they even a magazine anymore, as a Bostonian maybe he is angry that we are the REAL Sox and they are just the Red Sawx. Either way, you suck at life.

chaerulez
09-30-2005, 08:30 AM
As much of a d-bag Rick Ballou is Chris Russell might be just as bad. As I've hear nothing on his show that would make me think I'm not listening to ESPN radio either.

ThatGuyOnTheL
09-30-2005, 09:11 AM
ballou is a Bostonian.

'Nuff said.

TommyJohn
09-30-2005, 09:31 AM
He wonders how we will sell out the playoff games and if we will even sell out at all,

The playoffs aren't sold out? Great! I'll call the box office and buy a bunch of
tickets!

Viva Medias B's
09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
I heard part of this and wanted to...

:chunks

SoxFan78
09-30-2005, 10:45 AM
BTW..."Papa" Joe Chevalier was a great guy to work with.

OT: I used to intern for Papa Joe and he was a good guy, but some of the stuff I had to do was crazy. One day there was a tornado in the Northbrook area so he wanted me to go out and go to blockbuster and rent him the Wizard of Oz. I couldnt get there cause the roads were closed.

One day I spent folding his Papa Joe shirts.

And almost every day before his shows I had to go to White Hen and get him a large diet coke and a package of Double Stuffed Oreo's.

Brewski
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM
I couldn't believe what I was hearing and guessed that he knew he was inheriting a large number of Sox fans from the all day lovefest on AM670 and wanted to get them riled up enough to call so that he could carry on a discussion with his national audience. This one went to sleep.

knocko94
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Sporting News has been based out of St. Louis for over 100 years. I used to subscribe / read religiously pre-internet days. They became a more general sports weekly when baseball had the strike and the NFL gained in popularity and I dropped my subscription.

They used to be One on One Sports and I liked their Sunday broadcast with a person stationed at every stadium. They went off the air in Chicago a few years back (820-AM) and can only be heard on satellite radio, on line or the graveyard shift on the Score. I liked Papa Joe who now has a show in Vegas - my second favorite city on Earth.

Sporting News Radio is Chiago based, in Techny, IL (wherever the hell that is)

In 1993, One-On-One moved into sports talk radio through the purchase of the Sports Entertainment Network. Renaming SEN "The One-On-One Sports Radio Network," the new broadcasting company established its current headquarters in suburban Chicago. From there, the network provides and delivers high-quality live sports programming 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In addition to its large network of affiliates, Sporting News Radio owns stations in New York, Los Angeles and Boston.

hawkjt
09-30-2005, 12:04 PM
This arse rips the white sox at every opportunity. He thinks the red sox walk on water and for some reason hates the real sox.

I sincerely am looking forward to listening to him the nite we eliminate the red sox from the playoffs.

Max Power
09-30-2005, 12:39 PM

It's in Northbrook, on Techny Road between Shermer and Waukegan. I interned there in the summer of 2002. My boss was pretty cool, but a lot of people there thought they were a lot more important than they really were. They had some pretty ambitious goals for expansion, but since then they're pretty much fallen off the map. They even fired my boss. But who needs a marketing manager anyway?

TimChamp
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
That's pretty funny that you mention that because as I was perusing radio stations to fall asleep to last nite, I caught a wind of this idiot and could not fall asleep.

He kept on asking what the heck Carmines were...it was just beyond stupid.

And one thing about the update guy (I believe I heard his name to be Greg Springer or something like that), according to Balou or whatever his name is, he says that he only knows two Sox fans and they're both from the station. I guess maybe the update guy just reads what he gets...who knows...as far as I know the update guy is a Sox fan...

--Champ out

SouthSide_HitMen
09-30-2005, 01:20 PM

He asked where was the Sporting News based. It is based in St. Louis. You are correct their radio division is based outside of Chicago.