PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Back From Detroit

Brian26
09-29-2005, 11:56 PM
What an amazing two days!

I was on tv for the entire game today, right behind home in the 4th row.

Last night I was in the first row, right behind the plate, standing and clapping in the 9th for Jenks' save.

Unbelievable two days...lots of stories to tell. I'll write a full report tomorrow...I just need some rest now.

The Sox fans in Detroit were amazing...lots of cool people, lots of camaraderie...and amazing, amazing experience.

Go Sox!

Brian26
09-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Jill Carlson put up a big stink behind homeplate in the well around the 7th inning because she showed up late, and the security guard wouldn't let her walk through over to the camera well in the White Sox dugout. Just an inning before, Sudsberry, Blanzy and Palmer (who had a cigar sticking out of his mouth....looked pretty gay, to be honest) were let over there. But Jill was late, so she made a big stink, saying she "had a job to do." The Tigers security told her to be quiet because he had a job to do too.

George Offman came down and sat right in front of me in the 9th. I think David Schuster was next to him. I started GRILLING Offman for being a Cubs fan and about his remarks last July when the Cubs aquired Nomar, which led to him stating "The Cubs were a lock for the World Series." Well, now he's denying that. Schuster said, "he meant to say Little League World Series." Offman started fumbling with this tape recorder and seemed intimidated to the point of not being able to focus on his job, so I let it go. He's a weasel though.

elrod
09-30-2005, 02:11 AM
What percentage of the fans there were Sox fans? Seemed like a LOT.

SOXintheBURGH
09-30-2005, 02:44 AM

My sister and I both commented on how loud the applause was for Garcia when he exited!

Goose
09-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Offman started fumbling with this tape recorder and seemed intimidated to the point of not being able to focus on his job, so I let it go. He's a weasel though.

Had the jugular exposed and decided to show some mercy? You are a bigger man than me!

hose
09-30-2005, 07:53 AM
I was turning down $35 tickets from scalpers who only wanted $10 bucks outside of Comerica.

I sat in sec 125 on Wednesday and sec 126 row 6 for Thursdays game. I could look into the Sox dugout from my seat yesterday. The Sox fans were awesome, cheering and high fiving , but not to the point of being over the top obnoxious.

I was able to talk to a couple of Tiger season ticket holders and they knew their baseball. They were totally frustrated with the Tigers inability to get to .500 since 1993. They also grudgingly wished the Sox good luck in the playoffs.

Comerica was nice , but it seems like they could have put the stands closed to the field, overall I really liked the park. (of course I was sitting in the best seats in the house, so I can't give an accurate description)

I felt like saying something to Steve Phillips before the game when he was talking to Ozzie and KW in the dugout but I kept my mouth shut. Steve Stone was also in the dugout before the game . The only guy I yelled at was Brad Palmer when he walked over to the Sox dugout around the 7th inning.

chisoxfan83
09-30-2005, 08:08 AM
I was in sec 123 on wed and 122 yesterday! Sox fans were great. I liked the park. Although I was getting upset with security checking my ticket all the time. I think the sox jersey had something to do with it. Jerry and Kenny came and sat with us the last inning and gave us all high fives and hugs when the final out was recorded. It was awesome. The best is yet to come......

Brian26
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
The best part of Wednesday night's game was being in the front row and looking up to Hawk and DJ after the Sox broke it open. We pointed up the booth, they pointed back...I started doing that cheezy wrist-pumping thing Hawk does, and he just started laughing up in the booth.

I have to give major, major, major props to the Comerica security staff. I never would have known this until I saw it...but they have a security guard sitting in the front row right behind the plate (with his back to the plate). His sole purpose is to keep people from waving to the camera, holding up signs, or acting like idiots. I guess earlier in the year someone was sitting behind the plate waving and rubbing their belly for the whole game, so the very next day the Tigers positioned security down there, and it hasn't been a problem since. I thought the guy was joking when he first told someone to knock it off, but he was serious.

The Comerica security staff was really, really cool to all of the Sox fans there. There were some Tiger fans who started giving some Sox fans crap, and security immediately took care of it. They did an amazing job. Kudos. For the most part, the Tiger fans were respectful too.

Brian26
09-30-2005, 11:00 AM

Hard to say exactly, but I'd guess there were probably 400 - 500 Sox fans near the Sox dugout after the game.

Foulke You
09-30-2005, 11:08 AM
I have to give major, major, major props to the Comerica security staff. I never would have known this until I saw it...but they have a security guard sitting in the front row right behind the plate (with his back to the plate). His sole purpose is to keep people from waving to the camera, holding up signs, or acting like idiots. I guess earlier in the year someone was sitting behind the plate waving and rubbing their belly for the whole game, so the very next day the Tigers positioned security down there, and it hasn't been a problem since. I thought the guy was joking when he first told someone to knock it off, but he was serious.
Wow, what a great idea. MLB should consider making this a league-wide policy. It really distracts from the game when you have some clown on his cell phone waving at the camera for 4 straight innings.

Brian26
09-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Detroit is a surreal city. Everyone in the service industry there is very appreciative....all of the cab drivers and hotel people are extremely nice and helpful. The city, though, is a dump. The Comerica/Ford Field area is decent, but the rest of the city is just really rundown. I didn't feel safe walking two blocks from the hotel.

The cab driver yesterday morning took me by old Tiger Stadium to check it out. It still looks in a pretty good shape on the outside.

itsnotrequired
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
Wow, what a great idea. MLB should consider making this a league-wide policy. It really distracts from the game when you have some clown on his cell phone waving at the camera for 4 straight innings.

This is a terrible idea! Paying top dollar for those seats gives me the right, nay, the duty to act like a fool!:cool:

cheeses_h_rice
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
The best part of Wednesday night's game was being in the front row and looking up to Hawk and DJ after the Sox broke it open. We pointed up the booth, they pointed back...I started doing that cheezy wrist-pumping thing Hawk does, and he just started laughing up in the booth.

The Comerica security staff was really, really cool to all of the Sox fans there. There were some Tiger fans who started giving some Sox fans crap, and security immediately took care of it. They did an amazing job. Kudos. For the most part, the Tiger fans were respectful too.

Brian, were you in any of the shots I took (http://flickr.com/photos/55353678@N00/)?

tacosalbarojas
09-30-2005, 12:26 PM
Hard to say exactly, but I'd guess there were probably 400 - 500 Sox fans near the Sox dugout after the game.Congrats for going...kicking myself now for not going at the last minute. It had to be a blast. Please, God, just give us more to come...

hose
09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
As Carlos Pena was rounding the bases after he hit a homer during Wed. game they started playing 'Hey hey goodbye". I'm not sure if this is what the Tigers do after every homer but I was like "hey thats our song."

I chuckled when the usher started choking his throat and some Tiger fans started doing a Indian yell by tapping their lips with their hand..."woo woo wooo wooo"

hose
09-30-2005, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=Brian26]I have to give major, major, major props to the Comerica security staff. I never would have known this until I saw it...but they have a security guard sitting in the front row right behind the plate (with his back to the plate). His sole purpose is to keep people from waving to the camera, holding up signs, or acting like idiots. I guess earlier in the year someone was sitting behind the plate waving and rubbing their belly for the whole game, so the very next day the Tigers positioned security down there, and it hasn't been a problem since. I thought the guy was joking when he first told someone to knock it off, but he was serious.QUOTE]

I remember the kid at the Cell that drove everyone nuts.

Somebody started a thread about the kids antics and PHG's post was hilarious.

Brian26
09-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Hose-

I think you were a couple seats over from me, and we high-fived after PK's stab to end it. Were you holding the Sox flag and Pauly jersey up for the camera?

hose
09-30-2005, 05:35 PM
Hose-

I think you were a couple seats over from me, and we high-fived after PK's stab to end it. Were you holding the Sox flag and Pauly jersey up for the camera?

No I think you were talking about the guy in the Sox leather jacket?

There was actually two guys and a woman that were together. The guy with the flag was sitting by the aisle , the other guy and woman were sitting in front of me for a while and then moved down by the aisle.

I tried talking to the guy in front of me and found out he was from Chicago. He really didn't speak english that good and my spanish is worse than his english.

If you were the guy on the aisle behind the guy with the flag , then yes we did indeed high five.

chisoxfan4life
09-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Does anyone remember me? I started out in section 121 row 20, but for the last innings moved up to row 2 and then row one as soon as the game ended. I was wearing a black Sox windbreaker and the spring training hat. I probably high fived some of you or gave standing ovations with you.

skobabe8
09-30-2005, 08:11 PM
Brian, were you in any of the shots I took (http://flickr.com/photos/55353678@N00/)?

Good shots, cheeses. They would have been better if I were in them. :cool:

I was wearing this jersey at the game in case anyone saw me:

http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key[name],value[JOHNSON]&set=key[number],value[8]&set=key[displaysize],value[220]&load=url[http://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p965938_customback.chain]

We got our tickets for free by some guy giving them away in bunches.

HotelWhiteSox
09-30-2005, 08:46 PM
Did anyone get a chance to slug 'hot dog opera guy'?

Brian26
09-30-2005, 11:55 PM
No I think you were talking about the guy in the Sox leather jacket?

There was actually two guys and a woman that were together. The guy with the flag was sitting by the aisle , the other guy and woman were sitting in front of me for a while and then moved down by the aisle.

I tried talking to the guy in front of me and found out he was from Chicago. He really didn't speak english that good and my spanish is worse than his english.

If you were the guy on the aisle behind the guy with the flag , then yes we did indeed high five.

No, I was one section over to the left, right behind home plate. You weren't the father with his son, were you?

hose
10-01-2005, 12:10 AM
No, I was one section over to the left, right behind home plate. You weren't the father with his son, were you?

No I thought that was who you were.

I was to his right a couple of seats over.

Dan the get up guy was 4 seats to my right.

Brian26
10-01-2005, 12:22 AM
No I thought that was who you were.

I was to his right a couple of seats over.

Dan the get up guy was 4 seats to my right.

Were you there on Wednesday night too? I'm trying to remember....did you high five me in the front row after Wed's win? It's all a blur at this point..

cubhater
10-01-2005, 08:41 AM

You got me in a couple of pics. I'm the guy holding the Devil Ray hat which I bought that day with hopes of catching their game in Cleveland that night to show some love for helping makes Thursday's clincher possible.:D:

Damn traffic prevented us from making their game on time, plus with Cleveland blowing the game open we just hung out at some of the bars near the Jake and celebrated the Sox clincher in front of Wahoo fans.:cool:

hose
10-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Were you there on Wednesday night too? I'm trying to remember....did you high five me in the front row after Wed's win? It's all a blur at this point..

I was there Wed. also

I'm sure we'll have a big get together after the Sox win it all , plenty of high fiving yet to come Brian.:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Brian26
10-01-2005, 09:41 AM
You got me in a couple of pics. I'm the guy holding the Devil Ray hat which I bought that day with hopes of catching their game in Cleveland that night to show some love for helping makes Thursday's clincher possible.:D:

Hahaha- I saw you after the game. You were trying to sell the D-Rays hat for $50 and started the "Let's Go D-Rays" Chant! :D: Great stuff. You got a huge reaction from all the Sox fans behind the dugout.

cubhater
10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Hahaha- I saw you after the game. You were trying to sell the D-Rays hat for $50 and started the "Let's Go D-Rays" Chant! :D: Great stuff. You got a huge reaction from all the Sox fans behind the dugout.

I needed more cash for :gulp: . One of my friends is a D-Ray fan so it'll be an early Christmas gift when I see him in Tampa for the Bears game.

:hawk
I luv early Christmas gifts.