PDA

View Full Version : Sox win doesn't lead off Channel 2, 7 news

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Instead it was some kidnapping in a suburb or something, and Gov. Ryan's trial.

Forgive me if my memory's gone hazy, but.....didn't the Cubs pretty much dominate the entire newscast when they clinched in 2003?

ode to veeck
09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
that's it, I'm never watching those channels ever again!

Chips
09-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah the 2003 Flubs dominated every new story in America. By the way, how was the trip?

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Turn on the Score!!! They've been talking NOTHING but Sox baseball NON-STOP for a solid 9 hours!

BeviBall!
09-29-2005, 11:17 PM
And BBTN's "Most Important Thing" was David Ortiz and C.C. Sabathia.

Yawn.

Johnny Mostil
09-29-2005, 11:18 PM

Forgive me if my memory's gone hazy, but.....didn't the Cubs pretty much dominate the entire newscast when they clinched in 2003?

Cubs clinched on a Saturday, as I recall. I doubt there was anything as big as Ryan's trial that day. I'm not saying that explains all the difference, but I'm sure it's a big reason for it.

Viva Medias B's
09-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Turn on the Score!!! They've been talking NOTHING but Sox baseball NON-STOP for a solid 9 hours!

To quote Martha Stewart, that's a good thing. Especially so considering the Score is our flagship next season.

Wsoxmike59
09-29-2005, 11:20 PM
If they give the Cub score first I'm going down to the station with an uzi!!!!

http://members.aol.com/realwaileaestate/images/cat%20w-machine%20gun.jpg

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2005, 11:25 PM

Fanatic, I listened to the Score for 3 hours on my way home. I'm all Scored out.

Just drinking some coffee and seeing how the local channels treated this, is all.

cheeses_h_rice
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Yeah the 2003 Flubs dominated every new story in America. By the way, how was the trip?

Trip was good (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=869356&postcount=324), you might say.

:cool:

ssirish317
09-29-2005, 11:29 PM
And BBTN's "Most Important Thing" was David Ortiz and C.C. Sabathia.

They were a half-hour into the show before they showed the highlights of the Sox game. The Sox were the only team to clinch today, but of course the lead in for the show was the BoSox/Jays and Yanks/Balt. games, then Cleveland vs. Tampa. They even showed the Cubs/Astro's highlight before the Sox. The title on the main page of ESPN.com's MLB page is Best in Show with a picture of Ortiz and A-Rod.

ESPN had so many of their geniuses pick the Twins at the start of the season and then Cleveland once they got hot that they refuse to eat crow. Every time that I think they've reached rock bottom they prove me wrong.

ChiSox14305635
09-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Ryan Baker reporting from Comerica for Channel 5:

"When Paul Konerko made the final out today against the Twins, the team let out a collective sigh of relief".

Lovely. :rolleyes:

lumpyspun
09-29-2005, 11:37 PM
On a side note...I was reading in the weekly sports magazine that USA Today puts out...

They had different world series possibilites and ranked them as "intriguing" or "yawners"

They had White Sox vs. Cardinals as "intriguing" b/c Cubs fans would have to pick who to cheer for...

Then they had White Sox vs. Astros as a "yawner" b/c the White Sox don't have a large fan following based on their attendance this year, and the Astros only have regional fans at best...

Johnny Mostil
09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Then they had White Sox vs. Astros as a "yawner" b/c the White Sox don't have a large fan following based on their attendance this year, and the Astros only have regional fans at best...

How did they describe a Sox/Padres or Sox/Braves matchup? At least the Astros have Clemens . . .

lumpyspun
09-29-2005, 11:43 PM
How did they describe a Sox/Padres or Sox/Braves matchup? At least the Astros have Clemens . . .

They didn't go through every possibility and matchup...just a few...those were the only two scenarios that involved the White Sox.

Basically more negative press, just in a round about way.

Uncle_Patrick
09-29-2005, 11:45 PM

The Cubs are lovable and have famous fans, therefore they are important.

Johnny Mostil
09-29-2005, 11:45 PM
They didn't go through every possibility and matchup...just a few...those were the only two scenarios that involved the White Sox.

Basically more negative press, just in a round about way.

Thanks for the report. They should have gone through more Chisox matchups, because they're going to have to cover one . . .

Frankfan4life
09-29-2005, 11:47 PM
On a side note...I was reading in the weekly sports magazine that USA Today puts out...

They had different world series possibilites and ranked them as "intriguing" or "yawners"

They had White Sox vs. Cardinals as "intriguing" b/c Cubs fans would have to pick who to cheer for...

Then they had White Sox vs. Astros as a "yawner" b/c the White Sox don't have a large fan following based on their attendance this year, and the Astros only have regional fans at best...Wow, they can't find anything intriguing about a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1917? I guess there's no angle there.

BeviBall!
09-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Needless to say, Chuck Garfein will not be receiving an Emmy for his interviews during the celebration today.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Chuck Garfein=Mr. Peepers all I have to say about him.

nordhagen
09-30-2005, 12:04 AM
The big surprise was Channel 9 and 32 broke in this afternoon and did a half-hour of postgame programming of the celebration. Channel 5 and 7 did lead their 5 p.m. newscasts with the Sox

Lip Man 1
09-30-2005, 12:07 AM
Channel 9 did not lead with it tonight. That was nice that they broke in during the afternoon. I was taping Comcast sports which did an hour and a half post game show. Regarding the USA Today story, I'm confused about their comment on 'no fans.' I guess 2.3 million and 16 sell outs isn't enough for them. :?:

Lip

Chisox353014
09-30-2005, 12:21 AM
They were a half-hour into the show before they showed the highlights of the Sox game. The Sox were the only team to clinch today, but of course the lead in for the show was the BoSox/Jays and Yanks/Balt. games, then Cleveland vs. T ampa. They even showed the Cubs/Astro's highlight before the Sox. The title on the main page of ESPN.com's MLB page is Best in Show with a picture of Ortiz and A-Rod.

ESPN had so many of their geniuses pick the Twins at the start of the season and then Cleveland once they got hot that they refuse to eat crow. Every time that I think they've reached rock bottom they prove me wrong.

Wow. ESPN is going to need to have surgery to have their collective lips removed from the Red Sox' and Yankees' rear ends. They are pimping this upcoming series like the fate of the free damn world depends on it. I've already seen the Ortiz highlights three times during this Sportscenter alone. In contrast, the Sox clinching got about a minute and a half of time and #8 on the "Top Plays" countdown.

doublem23
09-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Channel 9 did not lead with it tonight. That was nice that they broke in during the afternoon. I was taping Comcast sports which did an hour and a half post game show. Regarding the USA Today story, I'm confused about their comment on 'no fans.' I guess 2.3 million and 16 sell outs isn't enough for them. :?:

Lip

16 sell-outs isn't enough, Lip.

That's why we had 18. :wink:

Domeshot17
09-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Add on to the White Sox disrespect

Sox Clinch was number 8 on ESPN's top 10

Ahead of that was

A Meaningless college football diving catch from 2 scrub schools

A Socer Goal

2 Decent Jumping Catches

Flub Rookie Jumping into the wall

And...........................

David Ortiz with the mighty walk off single off Miguel "what team am i on now" Batista

and mass amounts of MVP Talk Arod-Ortiz

How about some Love for Paulie, MVP is the Most Valuable Player to his Team, Ortiz Arod go down, the lineups are still stacked, Paulie goes down, and we are watching the Indians Celebrate.

chitownhawkfan
09-30-2005, 05:53 AM
I am almost glad we get no respect, if we keep winning these muppits will be forced to cover us. Do you know how angry it must make Peter Gammons and the rest of the stooges in Bristol, in addition to the media lemmings in Chicago, that they have to cover us. HAHAHA swallow that jagged bitter pill you sons of bitches. Enjoy us winning, and this wasnt a one year wonder either. You all suck at life, the White Sox Army will not be stopped by the collective doucheness that is the national and local media.:gulp::bandance:

Cellview22
09-30-2005, 10:20 AM
I wonder how many of the media were completely shocked that they clinched and they didn't see it coming. Before the game, I was watching CLTV and Tonya Francisco was interviewing a journalist from Red Eye and they started talking about the Sox. Tonya asked 'so when exactly can they clinch?' and the expert says 'they need two more wins, so [pause] it should come around Sunday'. This was 2 hours before the game! :D: Looks like a lot of the media were caught off guard.

harwar
09-30-2005, 10:40 AM

Their 6 -9 pm show was the best i ever heard.
It was all White Sox with Rogers and Oferman being so unbiased,that they almost sounded like real professionals.David Shuster was sounding like a Sox fan.John Cangelosi,Donn Pall,& Jeff Torberg were great.
It deteriorated quickly after 9pm when Jesse Rogers got into a shouting,name-calling match with a Sox fan and the rest of the show just got worse after that.

SOXPHILE
09-30-2005, 11:09 AM
There was alot of Sox coverage on the 3 local networks, but, I don't know, maybe it's just selective memory on my part, they didn't seem to be peeing all over themselves covering every possible angle they did back in 2003 when the Cubs won the division (-shivers-). Plus, they also all were covering that breaking story in Aurora where the 4 bodies were found in that big house. So, I tried to have a little bit of perspective.

Domeshot17
09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Just found this very amusing. If you goto ESPN.COM and check out the photo gallery from the winner yesterday, almost every captation mentions how we have not won a division since 2000.

Even the one with Alan Trammel reads something to the extent of Alan Trammel, Detroit Manager, watches the White Sox celebrate after the 4-2 victory. It is their first division title since 2000.

Hitmen77
09-30-2005, 11:23 AM

Lip

Although Channel 9 didn't lead with the story, they had pretty good coverage last night after they led off with the Aurora murders. It was nice to see WGN give the Sox good, enthusiastic coverage.

That USA Today comment is pretty stupid. Averaging 29,000 per game for the whole season isn't enough? Not only that, but they also have to factor in that the Sox are still in the 3rd largest TV market. You'll definitely get some local interest in following the Sox in the playoffs even from those who don't go to games.

Hangar18
09-30-2005, 11:44 AM
I hate the freakin' Chicago Cub Loving Media. That was probably the most anti-climactic coverage of a Chicago team clinching I ever remember. Its PATHETIC and completely unprofessional just how badly the Media cannot separate their lust for the Cubs, and covering the SOX. Too Bad!!!!!!!!
the sox won, get over it media. When the cubs "clinched" in 03, they got 50times the coverage ......... all the news channels led off with coverage ......
I hate this town :angry: :angry:

ChiSoxGirl
09-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Although Channel 9 didn't lead with the story, they had pretty good coverage last night after they led off with the Aurora murders. It was nice to see WGN give the Sox good, enthusiastic coverage.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, I became annoyed when they just HAD to work the Cubs in there somehow by showing the Wrigley Field marquis with a congratulatory message to the Sox. While it was a nice gesture, ask yourself this: When the Cubs won their division in 2003, was there *any* footage of the Comiskey Park sign congratulating them? No. Not that we would stoop so low or anything, but seriously... couldn't they have left well enough alone?

GoSox2K3
09-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Just found this very amusing. If you goto ESPN.COM and check out the photo gallery from the winner yesterday, almost every captation mentions how we have not won a division since 2000.

Even the one with Alan Trammel reads something to the extent of Alan Trammel, Detroit Manager, watches the White Sox celebrate after the 4-2 victory. It is their first division title since 2000.

I noticed that too. Yeah, 2000 was soooo long ago! Why not say, the Sox win their division for the 2nd time in 5 years?

Kogs35
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I hate the freakin' Chicago Cub Loving Media. That was probably the most anti-climactic coverage of a Chicago team clinching I ever remember. Its PATHETIC and completely unprofessional just how badly the Media cannot separate their lust for the Cubs, and covering the SOX. Too Bad!!!!!!!!
the sox won, get over it media. When the cubs "clinched" in 03, they got 50times the coverage ......... all the news channels led off with coverage ......
I hate this town :angry: :angry:

unfortunatly the 1 thing the cubs had when the clinched was the day of the week. they clinched on a saturday, while the sox clinched midweek.

Cellview22
09-30-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm also annoyed by the media reporting "fans on the south side of Chicago are all celebrating". Why can't they say "people all over Chicago are celebrating"... or "fans all around Chicago and the suburbs and all the Sox fans across the world...". That would be more accurate than just downplaying everything to the South Side.

MiamiSpartan
09-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Yeah, my sister the cub fan was telling me that...she was pissed about it, too. Even she realizes there's a huge cub bias in that town.

mrfourni
09-30-2005, 12:53 PM
I noticed that too. Yeah, 2000 was soooo long ago! Why not say, the Sox win their division for the 2nd time in 5 years?

you know, we're all so brainwashed, i didn't even think of it that way.

jenn2080
09-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Cubs clinched on a Saturday, as I recall. I doubt there was anything as big as Ryan's trial that day. I'm not saying that explains all the difference, but I'm sure it's a big reason for it.

I have to say Channel 5 and Comcast Sportsnet did a great job of covering. Comcast did about 2+ hrs after the game and Channel 5 was still talking about this morning after every commercial break.

LETS GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny Mostil
09-30-2005, 01:04 PM
you know, we're all so brainwashed, i didn't even think of it that way.

I don't know if *we* are brainwashed or if da meedya just likes to play up angles like that. I remember reports two years ago of the Cubs winning their first postseason series since 1908. I'm sure we'll soon see similar reports of the Sox winning their first postseason series since 1917, or even their first home postseason win since 1959. Pretty meaningless stuff . . .

MrRoboto83
09-30-2005, 01:15 PM
I'm also annoyed by the media reporting "fans on the south side of Chicago are all celebrating". Why can't they say "people all over Chicago are celebrating"... or "fans all around Chicago and the suburbs and all the Sox fans across the world...". That would be more accurate than just downplaying everything to the South Side.

South side of Chicago celebrates, while if it were the Flubs they would say cub Nation celebrates. Not that I like that anyways, as far as I know I live in the U.S.A. not Flub Nation or Red Sex Nation

chopperjc
09-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I was watching Tribune Live (directV) all i could do wanted something and yes the coverage was well.... at least it was something but on the banner was FINALLY, anyway for them to take a subtle shot I guess. I really do not care because we are Central Division Champs! (with 96 wins so far.... Finally? go get bent) :tongue:

DenverSock
09-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Ignore the national media. All they think about are the huge markets on the coast. Just enjoy the moment. They'll have to pay attention at World Series time. They'll drop the coverage of the Sox even if they win the WS. The only way for a team like the Sox to get attention is to create a dynasty. And even then, how often do they do a good job of covering the Bay Area teams with the exception of Barry Bonds. I remember the A's winningthree in a row and not getting attention from the National Mediots until the fall. They want the Yankees, Dodgers, etc to win for the ratings.