PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Series Does It Matter?

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 10:29 PM
This upcoming series against the indians I know we won our division and are probably going to rest our starters but should we care about it should we try to win and take them out of the playoffs and make sure we show them who the division champs were or we should'nt even care what do you all think?

MarySwiss
09-29-2005, 10:31 PM
This upcoming series against the indians I know we won our division and are probably going to rest our starters but should we care about it should we try to win and take them out of the playoffs and make sure we show them who the division champs were or we should'nt even care what do you all think?

We still need to clinch home field for the ALCS. So we need to play hard.

Chips
09-29-2005, 10:31 PM

Yes we should care about it. There is still home field advantage at stake. Not to mention the fact that the Injuns owned the Central for the better half of the 1990s. Yes it matters.

P.S. Do you know how to use punctuation?

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Yes we should care about it. There is still home field advantage at stake. Not to mention the fact that the Injuns owned the Central for the better half of the 1990s. Yes it matters.

P.S. Do you know how to use punctuation?

Tonight, the part of Kittle42 will be played by Chips. :D:

Feh. Home field is neither here nor there with this team. Rested pitchers and loose, sharp hitters are the real concern, I think.

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz, maybe try and get Iguchi and Rowand back on track, but I'm guessing Pods and AJ will get rest. Maybe a try and see what Hernandez really has in him, but as far as the others, I don't really want to risk injury and I would rest the playoff bullpen arms! Maybe it's just me.

soxjim
09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Yes it matters. We still have homefield advantage to capture. one thing I would consider doing is having our starting pitchers have a pitch count of about 75-80 pitches to keep them in form as long as it doesn't strain our bullpen.

ode to veeck
09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
I saw we sweep the Tribe just for kicks, the ALCS home field, and to steal the best record in MLB from the slumping Cards

GO SOX!!!

Chips
09-29-2005, 10:39 PM
And we've been the best team in AL all season long, there is no need to stop that now.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 10:42 PM
lol yeah for kiks sweep them we were in first for whole year lol funny funnyy and bill melton comcast sportsnet picked the twins what a joke boy!

chisoxmike
09-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Yes it does matter.

1) The last thing you want is to have a tie at the end of the season with a * by your record saying you won the divison over a tiebreaker. Imagine the **** we'll get for that one.

2) You still need to give these guys at bats. 2 games doesn't mean they're back in the swing of things. Keep them in there for a at bat or two to keep their swings.

3) Why not? Go in there and demorialize the Indians. End their playoff hopes and send them back into their homes in October where they belong.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 10:44 PM
yeah yu right but will we have to face them and if we do i dont care even who we face right?

pczarapa
09-29-2005, 10:48 PM

I'd like to see us go out hard and get a win in game one, I believe that would clinch home field. Then get some rest for those who need it, and some playing time for the rusty in case they're called upon in the playoffs.

Chips
09-29-2005, 10:49 PM
yeah yu right but will we have to face them and if we do i dont care even who we face right?

we will only have 2 face dem if they win the first round against the yankees or red sox because the we cant face da indians in the 1st round because they r in the same division

gf2020
09-29-2005, 10:49 PM
I want to end the Indians. For the past month, they've reminded me of the unrelenting T-1000. I say we throw some liquid carbonite on them and smash them with a crowbar. Let's sweep!

I also would rather face one of the AL East Teams then the Angels in the first round.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 10:54 PM
man love the after game celebration did you funny and all them smoking the cigars loved it couldnt wait to see them with the beer and booze beatiful.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 10:58 PM
man just feels good getting the monkey of the back and for whole whites sox! nation!!!

sox1970
09-29-2005, 11:01 PM
If the Indians and Red Sox both win 2 of 3, the Indians, Yankees, and Red Sox will have the same record. The Yankees and Red Sox would play on Monday for the East division, and the loser would play the Indians on Tuesday for the wildcard.

If the Sox knock out the Indians this weekend, and Boston beats New York two of 3, the Yankees and Red Sox are both in the playoffs with 95 wins. The Yankees will be declared East winners with the better head-to-head record, and the White Sox would host the Red Sox on Tuesday.

Chips
09-29-2005, 11:02 PM
man just feels good getting the monkey of the back and for whole whites sox! nation!!!

man love the after game celebration did you funny and all them smoking the cigars loved it couldnt wait to see them with the beer and booze beatiful.

man, you're killing me.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 11:02 PM
man wouldnt wanna face red sox but were in baby doesnt matter to me im just happy now!

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 11:05 PM
1) The last thing you want is to have a tie at the end of the season with a * by your record saying you won the divison over a tiebreaker. Imagine the **** we'll get for that one

There wouldn't be any asterik. We'd be listed first, we win the division and are AL Central champs, they go in via the wild card. End of story

See the NL Central in 2001

Chips
09-29-2005, 11:11 PM
man wouldnt wanna face red sox but were in baby doesnt matter to me im just happy now!

man, the Red Sox have the weakest pitching of any of the teams we'd face. We lit Schilling up 3 times this year. McCarthy shut them out. Why wouldn't you want to face the Red Cubs?

BeviBall!
09-29-2005, 11:18 PM
It matters... to Cleveland, Boston and New York, but not a whole lot to us.

TomBradley72
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Doesn't matter at all. The only thing that matters is: keeping everyone healthy, resting the guys that need a breather, setting up the starting rotation and bullpen for the postseason....and getting 100% focused for a great 4 week run.

If we go 11-8 in October....we're World Champs. :cool:

guillen4life13
09-29-2005, 11:28 PM
The team needs to go into the playoffs strong.

No dilly-dallying in this series. Maybe give some tired guys a rest and don't overwork the pitchers, but they should still play to win. There's no question to me.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 11:30 PM
just win 2 of 3 from cleveland and i really dont care who we face and the whitesox fans would agree

mcp5185
09-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Doesn't matter at all. The only thing that matters is: keeping everyone healthy, resting the guys that need a breather, setting up the starting rotation and bullpen for the postseason....and getting 100% focused for a great 4 week run.

If we go 11-8 in October....we're World Champs. :cool:

Well technically our last two games against Cleveland are in October so 11 wins in October does not guarantee we would be World Champs.

TomBradley72
09-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Well technically our last two games against Cleveland are in October so 11 wins in October does not guarantee we would be World Champs.

11-8 record in the post season and we're World Champs. :gulp:

Frickin cheeseheads. :tongue:

jehosaphat
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
It would be better if we were facing the Rangers or someone like that in a meaningless series. Indians will be playing for their life. I don't want us to get swept and go into the playoffs on a down note.

I think Ozzie has to rest people, especially the pitchers. But, I hope we can win a couple of the games. Winning the first two would be great, and then 3rd would truly not matter.

mcp5185
09-29-2005, 11:35 PM
11-8 record in the post season and we're World Champs. :gulp:

Frickin cheeseheads. :tongue:

Not by choice.:D:

mike squires
09-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Now that we've got our business taken care of, let's watch Borcard, Anderson and Widger play spoilers.

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 11:38 PM
yeah want to see the young guns why not??

ATXBMX
09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
I want to end the Indians. For the past month, they've reminded me of the unrelenting T-1000. I say we throw some liquid carbonite on them and smash them with a crowbar. Let's sweep!

I also would rather face one of the AL East Teams then the Angels in the first round.

Carbonite was Star Wars, Liquid Nitrogen was Terminator. :tongue:

Tragg
09-30-2005, 12:08 AM
It means something - it means home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
I don't think the Indians are any post season threat - the easiest team to beat. Since we wont' play them, I think they'd pose an easy series to the Angels or Yank, which won't weaken them for round 2.

I want to play Boston, a flawed team imo, and let NY and Angels batter each other silly

If us and the Yanks tie for the best record, who wins the tiebreaker? I think we split the seasonal series.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2005, 12:12 AM
I want Cleveland in. Screw either New York or Boston. (and I wouldn't mind the extra day off for the Sox while the other teams have to blow out their pitching staffs in playoff for playoff games!)

Lip

ATXBMX
09-30-2005, 12:27 AM
It means something - it means home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
I don't think the Indians are any post season threat - the easiest team to beat. Since we wont' play them, I think they'd pose an easy series to the Angels or Yank, which won't weaken them for round 2.

I want to play Boston, a flawed team imo, and let NY and Angels batter each other silly

If us and the Yanks tie for the best record, who wins the tiebreaker? I think we split the seasonal series.

According to this, (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmdCl9Q9RFSsAB6Hd0nKS34U0bYF?slug=ap-pennantraces-selig&prov=ap&type=lgns) we get home field because we have a better winning % against our division.

doublem23
09-30-2005, 12:43 AM
I'd like to win one, solely for the reason that I know some assclown mediot would give the Sox **** about "blowing that 15-game lead" if they finish the season dead even with the Tribe. We've already got homefield in the first round, and everything else is a crapshoot.

TDog
09-30-2005, 02:18 AM
There wouldn't be any asterik. We'd be listed first, we win the division and are AL Central champs, they go in via the wild card. End of story

See the NL Central in 2001

There would be no asterisk in the record books, but the Sox need to win at least once this weekend to avoid having the same record as Cleveland. The Red Sox with their 14.5-game lead and were forced to a playoff game that they lost. The Brooklyn Dodgers were up 12.5 on Labor Day and were forced into a best-of-three series that they lost. Maybe the Sox wouldn't get an asterisk if Cleveland finished with the same record, but you can bet people would note that the Sox were only saved a playoff game and possible loss because of a four-team league playoff format.

Sure I hate the Red Sox. Sure I hate the Yankees. But I want to see the Sox win every day. It wouldn't disturb me at all if Cleveland missed the playoffs. In fact, it would make make laugh. The Indians would probably be the sentimental favorites as the wild card. And if the Indians were to go deeper into the postseason than the Sox, you can bet the country would consider them co-champions of the Central. The country will be picking the Sox to finish third in the Central next season, so who cares what people think?

Some people care about the country respecting the Central Division, but I see winning against Cleveland this weekend needed for the country to respect the Sox.

Chisox003
09-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Sox take 2 of 3 this weekend, starting tomorrow

Book it

soxfanreggie
09-30-2005, 02:45 AM
Give the starters some time off, but make sure we play these games to win. If they go to extras and such, it's a great opportunity to let the younger guys play and the pitchers like Viz to eat some innings, but don't mess up the good momentum we've had the past few games. We need to enter the playoffs hot and definitely win at least one to clinch home field throughout the playoffs.

Tragg
09-30-2005, 08:01 AM
According to this, (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmdCl9Q9RFSsAB6Hd0nKS34U0bYF?slug=ap-pennantraces-selig&prov=ap&type=lgns) we get home field because we have a better winning % against our division.
Thanks for the link.
Reading the article, I'm glad that Selig has "faith" we'll play to win; but I must wonder about his vocalized "faith" that the opposition would field its best players when the INdians played the jesters, the bocubs and skanks played baltimore, etc.

stl_sox_fan
09-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Of course it counts. A couple Sox wins are about the only way they can get any airtime on SportsCenter. I really like the 2 second blurb on SC this morning. Man no love.

Jeff Brantley, circa May 2005 on SC.
Paraphrasing here...
"Mark my words, at the end of the season no team from Chicago will be in the playoffs".
Ahem......S**k it Jeff!!!!
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/4240.jpg

Saracen
09-30-2005, 09:50 AM
We want to win so we don't face a well-rested, pitching rotation all set Angels team in the first round. Boston's staff is in tatters.

harwar
09-30-2005, 11:01 AM
Ken Williams sure seems to think its important and he said as much in a radio interview,after he quoted sabbathia saying he's not afraid of the White Sox.
I think think that Ozzie rests the regulars en mass,either tonight or tomorrow afternoon.
Some of these guys need to just sit and watch and relax for at least a game or two.They are young but i would imaging that they are drained this morning.They were mentally and physically exhausted and yesterdays celebratory release was a death of sorts.
After resting,i look for them to be reborn with the fire that burns inside of every White Sox fan as we march through the post-season leaving our enemies in our wake.

hawkjt
09-30-2005, 11:34 AM
I want the Red Sox. They are on fumes already and face a possible 3-5 more games. Their pitching is horrible right now. They are 5-48 with runner in scoring position at Fenway in Sept entering last night.

Also; If we play the Red Sox we get the night games this week.
I do not want the Angels for a myriad of reasons including day games out at that hellhole and they have the best pitching and grinders.

Eliminate the tribe this weekend. It also sets a tone for next year as they will know our pitching trumps theirs and they will lose millwood to FA. Leg up for back to back Central titles.

sjokanovic
09-30-2005, 05:22 PM
yeah guys i guess youre right about that.

TDog
10-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I want Cleveland in. Screw either New York or Boston. (and I wouldn't mind the extra day off for the Sox while the other teams have to blow out their pitching staffs in playoff for playoff games!)

Lip

Screw Cleveland. I want the Sox to win all three in their visit to the city at the crappiest of the Great Lakes this weekend. I would laugh if the Indians are eliminated Saturday.

Isn't it bad enough that next March we'll have to listen to people picking the Indians to finish first (and the White Sox third, no doubt) in the Central? Don't give their fans a trip to the postseason to encourage them.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I want Cleveland in. Screw either New York or Boston....

**** that, Lip. The Sox can eliminate ALL THREE simply by hanging one more loss on the Tribe. You think you can finally be satisfied with the Sox playing .500 ball the rest of the way?

Cleveland is OUT if the Sox win just one more game. After all the bull**** people like you put people like me through, I say we strangle the sons of bitches from Cleveland, chop off their heads, mount them on pikes attached to the front bumper of the team bus and drive all the way back home to Chicago on I-90 for Game 1 of the ALDS. On the side of the bus write, "Hey Cleveland, Eat me!"

Wild card Boston is next -- and Gammons and all the ESPNdiots will be up in the booth and the Lovable Loser fans down in the stands. DEATH to the Red Sox and all their fans -- cursed again just like the Flubbies, thanks to our Sox.

Beating New York's darlings for the ALCS is something NOBODY will ever be able to ignore. The symbolism is too great. Give me the big bad Bronx Bombers -- the team with Tanyon Sturtze in their bullpen. Still care to bitch about the Sox roster, Lip?

I'll tell you what is the ultimate fairytale route to the championship: plunging the dagger into the hearts of every single one of the teams that made our lives HELL all these past months and years. They all must be vanquished at the tip of our mighty Sox sword!

NO MERCY!
:cool:

http://academic.scranton.edu/student/MARSHALLJ2/Bluto.JPG
"Niedermeyer? He's a dead man!"