PDA

View Full Version : Jose to start game 1

grinderrule#1
09-29-2005, 08:26 PM
ozzy said jose will start game 1 of the playoffs just wondering what you guys think of taking the ball out of the man who has been the work horse of the team the past couple years and giving it to contraras

JB98
09-29-2005, 08:27 PM
ozzy said jose will start game 1 of the playoffs just wondering what you guys think of taking the ball out of the man who has been the work horse of the team the past couple years and giving it to contraras

Contreras is our best pitcher. He starts the first game. Next.

MarySwiss
09-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Contreras has been lights out. I would totally give him the start, especially if we face the Yanks in the first round.

Chips
09-29-2005, 08:34 PM
Contreras is pitching better than anyone right now. He only has seven losses, and he only got rocked in three in those.

MUsoxfan
09-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Gotta go with who's hot and who's rested. He's both and he deserves it.

munchman33
09-29-2005, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't be adverse to starting him in games 2-5 as well.

FielderJones
09-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Best choice that Ozzie could make. Let's get out to an early ALDS lead.

Chips
09-29-2005, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't be adverse to starting him in games 2-5 as well.

I don't think games 4 and 5 will be necessary.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Is that the REAL Chips...the same one who has to be the biggest dark cloud in America??? :D:

I knew it!!! And Jose TRULY deserves it!

chisoxmike
09-29-2005, 08:56 PM
I would go with this...

Game 1: Jose Contreras
Game 2: Mark Buehrle
Game 3: Freddy Garcia
Game 4: Jon Garland
Game 5: Jose Conteras

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 08:57 PM
I would go with this...

Game 1: Jose Contreras
Game 2: Mark Buehrle
Game 3: Freddy Garcia
Game 4: Jon Garland
Game 5: Jose Conteras

You heard Chips...HE predicted a sweep, so we wouldn't need Garland OR Contreras! ;)

chisoxmike
09-29-2005, 08:58 PM
You heard Chips...HE predicted a sweep, so we wouldn't need Garland OR Contreras! ;)

Just incase...:cool:

sjokanovic
09-29-2005, 09:00 PM
I would still go with buehrle hes been youre ace for a while not jose its mark hes the ace and even if jose is the best pitcher now it still doesnt mean he is youre #1 starter for the 1st playoff game where the team won the division in 5 years.

Lip Man 1
09-29-2005, 09:07 PM
I can think of worse things then Jose in Game #1 and Mark in Game #2.

Lip

bigdommer
09-29-2005, 09:10 PM

I would feel bad for MB if he was getting ousted, but he's getting the start in game 2 and will be ready to go. Let's just hope his second start comes in the ALCS

BeviBall!
09-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Jose starting Game 1 is a no-brainer.

Chips
09-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Is that the REAL Chips...the same one who has to be the biggest dark cloud in America??? :D:

I knew it!!! And Jose TRULY deserves it!

Yes, this is the real Chips.

Ventura Fan 23
09-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Jose Contrearas is the best right-handed pitcher in the american league, so yeah, he obviously deserves it

Jjav829
09-29-2005, 09:27 PM

Buehrle himself has said that Contreras should start game #1. Ozzie is making the right call here. Play the hot hand and hope he stays hot in the playoffs. If he doesn't, well, we'll still have Buehrle, Garcia and Garland to try to take the series.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-29-2005, 09:37 PM
Buehrle himself has said that Contreras should start game #1. Ozzie is making the right call here. Play the hot hand and hope he stays hot in the playoffs. If he doesn't, well, we'll still have Buehrle, Garcia and Garland to try to take the series.
Out of all the other postseason teams (or contenders, at this point), I defy anyone to come up with a better starting four.

Ooh, I just remembered this means El Duque and McCarthy coming out of the bullpen! :smile:

grinderrule#1
09-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Ooh, I just remembered this means El Duque and McCarthy coming out of the bullpen!

do you even activate duque, cant ozzy use franks spot on the 25 man roster and replace duque with willie for the 5 game series then reassert him for the 7 gamers

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 09:43 PM
Contreras is hotter than a UCLA field hockey player right now, and Buehrle and Garland are okay with that. Let's not worry about the rotation, let's just hope the bats show up and Pods' suddenly rediscovered base-swiping ability holds.

Jjav829
09-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Out of all the other postseason teams (or contenders, at this point), I defy anyone to come up with a better starting four.

Ooh, I just remembered this means El Duque and McCarthy coming out of the bullpen! :smile:

There is no better four on paper. We just have to hope they all show up and pitch as they are capable of pitching. That shouldn't be as hard against the Angels as it is if we end up facing the Yankees or Red Sox.

pczarapa
09-29-2005, 09:46 PM

Gotta go with who's hot, Contreras has been a stud his last 8 starts. This is no time for politics or rubbing egos.

kitekrazy
09-29-2005, 09:48 PM
The Sox bats will have to produce at least 4 runs a game.

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 09:51 PM
This is no time for politics or rubbing egos.

And unless Buehrle is being falsely modest (which I highly doubt), I think we don't have to worry about that kind of crap.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-29-2005, 09:51 PM
This is no time for politics or rubbing egos.
And you can take it to the bank that no one believes this more than Buehrle.

ChicagoHoosier
09-29-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm sure MB wants what's best for the team, and that means Ozzie is making the right call and putting his best pitcher the 2nd half of the season and hottest pitcher on the bump for game 1. Good to name him the starter now and get it out of the way. Works out well too for Buehrle and JG to get their starts in Friday and Saturday and be fresh for additional games.

LOVE the idea of Freddy in Game 3 on the road!

SOX ADDICT '73
09-29-2005, 10:00 PM
The Sox bats will have to produce at least 4 runs a game.
Yeah, since all of our starters have an ERA between 3 and 4, they're guaranteed to give up that many runs, right?

While I sure as hell hope the offense can score at least that many runs, this team (and most successful playoff teams) is built around pitching and defense. The Sox record in games where they've scored 2 runs or fewer is insane (not .500, but still ridiculous). The Yankees, by comparison, went winless for most of the season under the same circumstances.

elrod
09-29-2005, 11:42 PM
I would still go with buehrle hes been youre ace for a while not jose its mark hes the ace and even if jose is the best pitcher now it still doesnt mean he is youre #1 starter for the 1st playoff game where the team won the division in 5 years.

I'm going to have to disagree with the Croatian James Joyce on this one. I go with JC in Game One.

Reni
09-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Croatian James Joyce on this one
Hilarious.

DieTrying79
09-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Hey, Jose earned it. Take it to 'em, big man.

God, I'm starting to sound like Hawk! :D:

CHISOXFAN13
09-30-2005, 12:57 AM

Why would you start Buerhle on short rest when you could just go with JC then Mark in game two on regular rest?

JC deserves it anyway, but it's also worked out pretty nicely in that aspect.

pudge
09-30-2005, 01:18 AM
It's very interesting. As of now, it seems obvious Contreras should start.

But what if someone had told you back in July that come playoff time, all the other starters would be struggling, and it would be Contreras starting Game One? Would you be feeling warm and fuzzy?

kittle42
09-30-2005, 02:45 AM
I very much fear that Ozzie will pull his "I owe it to this kid" routine and start MB on three days' rest Tuesday.

kittle42
09-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Why would you start Buerhle on short rest when you could just go with JC then Mark in game two on regular rest?

:ozzie
"Because I make the ****ing pitching rotation."

longshot7
09-30-2005, 02:58 AM
There is no better four on paper. We just have to hope they all show up and pitch as they are capable of pitching. That shouldn't be as hard against the Angels as it is if we end up facing the Yankees or Red Sox.

The Angels would argue with you, but I won't. Colon/Lackey/Washburn/Santana or Byrd are a pretty good bunch, and numbers-wise, better than our four. The two teams are VERY similar, and I found it funny that the hosts on the postgame didn't want any piece of LA.

Personally, I want the Sox vs Angels so I can see the game live. What can I say, I'm selfish.

longshot7
09-30-2005, 02:59 AM
I very much fear that Ozzie will pull his "I owe it to this kid" routine and start MB on three days' rest Tuesday.

Ozzie was on the 93 team, which lost primarily to Lamont putting McDowell & Fernandez before hot-hands Alvarez & Bere. I don't think he'll let that mistake be made again.

Mr. White Sox
09-30-2005, 03:04 AM
The Angels would argue with you, but I won't. Colon/Lackey/Washburn/Santana or Byrd are a pretty good bunch, and numbers-wise, better than our four. The two teams are VERY similar, and I found it funny that the hosts on the postgame didn't want any piece of LA.

Personally, I want the Sox vs Angels so I can see the game live. What can I say, I'm selfish.

I hate the Red Sox and all, and don't believe they deserve to be in the playoffs this year, but...I really want a primetime game (I hate class) and Boston/NYY would provide that. Not to mention, BOS/NYY, I believe, match up far better against the Sox, especially with the Sox getting home field (Red Sox 41-40 on the road, NYY 41-37 on the road). Hell, the Angels are only 43-35 on the road as well..."these happy days are yours and mine!"
:)

Kizzy08
09-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Personally, I like the idea of a rotation going righty, lefty, righty. Not only that, but to have different styles of pitching coming from the opposite sides of the mound makes it look even better for this team. I can't believe nobody has brought this up yet.

Instead of the rotation, because I feel very confident on anybody we send out there, I'd like to know who we're gonna have in the bullpen. Is McCarthy and Duque gonna be in there, or just McCarthy? And who exactly is gonna be our closer? I personally don't have enough confidence in Jenks out there to close it out. Just wondering what everybody else's opinion is.

StockdaleForVeep
09-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Should hernandez be pitched? Yes he's been horrid lately but, one of the chief reasons we got him was because we wanted an amazing post season vet

Jjav829
09-30-2005, 07:43 AM

I'd rank the Angels second. I do think Colon's back is a major issue and that's why I would rank them below the Sox. If Bartolo is healthy, the Angels are right there along with the Sox pitching wise. I think John Lackey is one of the most underrated starters in the AL, if not all of MLB. Washburn and Byrd are both solid starters. Like I said though, Colon's back leads me to put the Angels a notch below the Sox. But the games aren't won on paper. Our starters could pitch like crap and their's could pitch great. We won't know until the games are played, assuming we do play the Angels and not the Red Sox/Yankees.

Tragg
09-30-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't want to play the Angels because they're so similar to us, with one difference - they have an offensive difference-maker in Vlad. (otherwise, good starting pitching, terrible obp offense, etc.). I thought that in 1993, we played teams with similar strengths/weaknesses we had, and we lost those series', so perhaps I'm over-reliant on a small sample of history.

Baby Fisk
09-30-2005, 08:55 AM
Should hernandez be pitched? Yes he's been horrid lately but, one of the chief reasons we got him was because we wanted an amazing post season vet
Hopefully none of Contreras-Buehrle-Garcia-Garland get into trouble early in their starts. If they do, it's great knowing that Hernandez can come out of the pen. Or McCarthy. My gosh, when did the Sox become LOADED with pitching?! :cool:

G1 - Contreras
G2 - Buehrle
G3 - Garcia slams the door on the road :bandance:

The Dude
09-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Yes, this is the real Chips.

Bull ****! You flip flop more than the windsock!

34 Inch Stick
09-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Anyone else think Garland in Game 3 and Garcia in Game 4?

longshot7
09-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd rank the Angels second. I do think Colon's back is a major issue and that's why I would rank them below the Sox. If Bartolo is healthy, the Angels are right there along with the Sox pitching wise. I think John Lackey is one of the most underrated starters in the AL, if not all of MLB. Washburn and Byrd are both solid starters. Like I said though, Colon's back leads me to put the Angels a notch below the Sox. But the games aren't won on paper. Our starters could pitch like crap and their's could pitch great. We won't know until the games are played, assuming we do play the Angels and not the Red Sox/Yankees.

I have not heard anything about Bart's back his last two starts, so I'm assuming that he's all better. In those two starts, one he was awful, and the other (against Okaland), he pitched pretty well. You're right about Lackey - he found "it" this season, and although Washburn's win total isn't that high, he has a great ERA. I think a series between them and the Sox will come down to hitting - LA's offense has struggled mightily this year at times, as has the Sox's, so it should be interesting.

Randar68
09-30-2005, 01:30 PM
I would feel bad for MB if he was getting ousted, but he's getting the start in game 2 and will be ready to go. Let's just hope his second start comes in the ALCS

Why feel bad for him? Has anyone looked at Jose's last 2.5 months? He's been Cy-Young worthy. Buehrle has been inconsistent over that time.

The playoffs ain't about stroking egos or reqarding first-half performance. It's about WINNING and using your best and hottest players the most to do so...