PDA

View Full Version : Frank's Reaction

RKMeibalane
09-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Has anyone from the Chicago media tried to get in touch with Frank (not that he'd talk with them) since the clincher this afternoon? I'd be interested to hear what he has to say about his teammates getting it done.

jabrch
09-29-2005, 08:30 PM
It is a shame the Big Guy can't be a part of this... (He won't - right?)

mrwag
09-29-2005, 08:52 PM
It just didn't seem quite right without him getting doused with champagne. I really wished he would have been there.

RKMeibalane
09-29-2005, 09:04 PM
It is a shame the Big Guy can't be a part of this... (He won't - right?)

I don't know what they've decided for him. Obviously, he'll get a ring when the Sox win it all, but I don't know if they're going to include him on the post-season roster. His ankle has improved, and I would love to see him make a Kirk Gibson-like appearance, but I don't think that's going to happen. I hope he can at least make it to the games and sit in the dugout with his teammates.

supertwangreverb
09-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Don't get me wrong I miss Frank. I'm 23 years old so I can say I pretty much grew up watching this guy and I remember idolizing him when I was younger. I'm a big Frank Thomas fan, and have always supported him, and we could sure use his bat. But...

They've done well without him, and I sure won't miss his playoff stats! So I'm not really missing him much, and I want to know why he wasn't there today?

RKMeibalane
09-29-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't get me wrong I miss Frank. I'm 23 years old so I can say I pretty much grew up watching this guy and I remember idolizing him when I was younger. I'm a big Frank Thomas fan, and have always supported him, and we could sure use his bat. But...

They've done well without him, and I sure won't miss his playoff stats! So I'm ot really missing him much, and I want to know why he wasn't there today?

:DJ

"Uh, oh..."

compy75
09-29-2005, 09:41 PM
They've done well without him, and I sure won't miss his playoff stats! So I'm not really missing him much, and I want to know why he wasn't there today?

Let's be fair here, he had a hitless Seattle series, but it's not like he didn't hit .353 with a dinger in his first playoff series against Toronto....

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 09:56 PM
When they hand those rings out, Frank will be the most deserving.

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Let's be fair here, he had a hitless Seattle series, but it's not like he didn't hit .353 with a dinger in his first playoff series against Toronto....

Let's be fair here...it seemed like everyone had a hitless Seatlle series.

RKMeibalane
09-29-2005, 09:58 PM

Agreed. I think Konerko was something like 1-13, and That Other Guy was 0-11. And Josh Paul was actually allowed to play, which is a good indicator of just how bad things were going for those three games.

Daver
09-29-2005, 09:59 PM

Jim Parque hit a couple guys.

Chips
09-29-2005, 10:01 PM

His ankle needs to be elevated. From what I heard on the radio earlier, he should be in the dugout during the playoffs- not in uniform.

Chips
09-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Agreed. I think Konerko was something like 1-13, and That Other Guy was 0-11. And Josh Paul was actually allowed to play, which is a good indicator of just how bad things were going for those three games.

PK was 0 for 9 with a walk. That series just plain sucked.

Daver
09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Frank met the team bus in Cleveland, with a bottle of champagne in hand.

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 10:08 PM

And then Wunsch got hit in the belly...

MarySwiss
09-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Seriously?

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 10:09 PM

Solid! :D:

1951Campbell
09-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Frank met the team bus in Cleveland, with a bottle of champagne in hand.

Hope the team doesn't choke on it.

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Personally, I think what Frank did was 100% class. He flew like 2200 miles from Nevada to Cleveland- complete with a fiberglass cast- to meet the team bus with champagne in hand to revel in the victory with his teammates. While he is beyond frustrated with his situation, he put the team first with his decision and it really warmed my heart to see that tonight. :smile:

RKMeibalane
09-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm waiting to hear what the Cubune says about Frank's visit with his teammates.

Thomas Skips Game, Hides Out in Cleveland

ode to veeck
09-29-2005, 11:09 PM

Good ole Butter, at least his heart was in the right place

RKMeibalane
09-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Good ole Butter, at least his heart was in the right place

I still think Ventura had a better fastball than he did. :cool:

TomBradley72
09-29-2005, 11:38 PM
I'd love to see Frank in the three hole....man do we miss him. Class move showing up in Cleveland.

tifosiv122
09-29-2005, 11:52 PM
Game 7 bottom 9, bases juiced...Thomas to the plate...is it possible to think of a better way to win (well maybe 4 straight)?

Erik

supertwangreverb
09-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Didn't know Frank was in a cast today. I guess that would give a good reason as to why he wasn't there. I just got a vibe from whitesox.com that the players were all kind of wondering where he was.

Like I said guys I grew up watching Big Frank... and he's one of my favorites.

Bill Aqua

JRIG
09-30-2005, 07:15 AM
I'm waiting to hear what the Cubune says about Frank's visit with his teammates.

Thomas Skips Game, Hides Out in Cleveland

Don't worry, the Cub-Times took care of this today with DeLuca's hit piece.

Unreal.

Uncle_Patrick
09-30-2005, 09:16 AM

Unreal.

Yup, its pretty disgusting that during what should be a celebration of the White Sox making the playoffs, the Sun-Times needs to take a shot at Frank. The man met his teammates in Cleveland and handed each of them a bottle of champagne as they got off the bus. What a jerk.

Hitmen77
09-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca30.html

Risk
09-30-2005, 09:32 AM
Well congratulations, Cub-Times, your rag newspaper is now on my permanent boycott list.:angry: Unbelievable.

Risk

ode to veeck
09-30-2005, 09:33 AM
what a pile of crap, a non story totally manufactured by the media

We love you Frank

get with it Cub-Times!!

bigdommer
09-30-2005, 09:37 AM

Unreal.

That's disgusting and pathetic. It must be sad, as a mediot, to have to create news because you don't have any talent as a writer. You could have written a piece about Crede getting back from childbirth to the celebration. Or a piece on Kenny's vindication (done). Ozzie for manager of the year. Or how nice it is to get in with a win vice a loss (2000). Or a piece on how the rookies from the farm, BA and BMac, helped win the ALC even though they might not touch grass in the playoffs. Or my favorite, an article bashing the Cubs and suggesting that they build a team like the Sox.

Uncle_Patrick
09-30-2005, 09:43 AM
whitesox.com has a better piece on Frank.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050929&content_id=1229285&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

anewman35
09-30-2005, 09:51 AM
I really hope Frank is willing/able to be at the home playoff games. Can you imagine the ovation he'd get if he was announced before the game or threw out a first pitch or something?

harwar
09-30-2005, 09:56 AM
First,what we have to remember is that the media in our own town is the enemy,like it or not.
Second,i would give almost anything if Frank was in the lineup for these next series.
I'm not much for the whole celebrity thing and i'm certainly no autograph hound,but Frank Thomas has meant so much to this team and we have all been through so much together that i can't begin to express how i feel about that guy and i am looking forward to seeing him sitting on the bench next week.
What a weird trip it has been so far ...

Unregistered
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
"He's been the face of this organization for a long time," Rowand added. "I'm sure, regardless of how much time he's spent on the active roster, everyone knows he's a big part of this team and helped us win quite a few ballgames while he was active. We wish he was here."

Damn straight. All these idiots with selective memories need to realize that the offense would improve by about 200% with a healthy Frank Thomas in the lineup.

hawkjt
09-30-2005, 11:24 AM
All knowledgable fans know that with a healthy Frank in our lineup we would be the favs to win it all.

DeLuca has been Marriottis butt-boy toady ever since he arrived at the Sun-times . He has always had a hard on for Frank. Jerk.

jshanahanjr
09-30-2005, 12:12 PM
He has always responded to my emails regarding his articles. Send him one if you want to disagree with his recent one. I sent him 2 last year about the Hunter/Burke incident and Foulke's postseason success with the Red Sox. He may write some irritating crap sometimes, but he will not hide from you like Jay.

Nice to see Frank meet the team in Cleveland. If he was healthy along with Pods, the Sox would buzz-saw through the World Series.

Sxy Mofo
09-30-2005, 01:32 PM
i feel almost as bad for frank not being a part of this all season as I do for the sox having to go through most of the season without him.

The thing I'll probably remember the most about Frank, through all the memories... is when they were out here in denver, he was healthy. He got like two at bats the whole series. It's the 9th inning, the sox are up like 14-4 or something ridiculous. Frank comes to bat....

...and hit a homer, that didn't mean a thing, but at the same time meant so much to all of the sox fans out here. It was the loudest crowd reaction in the entire series.

Frankly Missing
09-30-2005, 01:39 PM
Hitman77, I took your suggestion.

Dear Mr De Luca,

I am a 51 year old mother of 2 grown sons, registered nurse, and long time dedicated Chicago White Sox fan.

The greater portion of my greatest memories of the Sox are due to Mr Frank Thomas.

I will never understand why many in the media dont get the fact that Frank is one of the good guys.

As a fan, Frank has never dissapointed me, on and off the field.

Like many avid fans, I have made a point of visiting almost all of the MLB stadiums.

On the road, Frank is a wonderful ambassador of baseball and the Sox. Before the games, Frank is ALWAYS signs autographs, he is the last one off the field.

After games, Frank ALWAYS signs autographs before boarding the team bus. Believe me, plenty of players just walk by and can't be bothered.

I don't give a flip about any past contract problems or the opinions of those he had issues with in management. I'm SURE they had their own personal agendas in trying to sway the media.

But i do care about the fact Frank Thomas has never embarassed me while he wore the Sox uniform. Frank conducts himself professionally. He doesn't spit at umps, throw chairs at fans, flip anyone off, lose his temper, start fights, you get the picture.

Frank is one heck of baseball player, and has remained respectful of the game and its fans.

It pains me to read an article like yours, especially when there are so many good things you could have said on the day after the White Sox claimed the division title.

It seems Frank met the team bus in Cleveland with bottles of champaign and kudos yesterday. Probably won't see that story under your byline.

But perhaps you can take another look at Frank Thomas, from the veiw point of one of his many many avid fans.

FRANK! He Da Man! (psst, and steroid free, wow.)

Deb Clendenen
Estatically Happy White Sox Fan

tacosalbarojas
09-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Personally, I think what Frank did was 100% class. He flew like 2200 miles from Nevada to Cleveland- complete with a fiberglass cast- to meet the team bus with champagne in hand to revel in the victory with his teammates. While he is beyond frustrated with his situation, he put the team first with his decision and it really warmed my heart to see that tonight. :smile:Yeh, McPherrin said that he brought 20 $100 bottles of bubbly for the guys. It was definitely melancholy to see him that way - you've got to feel for the guy and what he's been through the last two years. And it hurts for us because we saw what he's still capable of when reasonably healthy...what was 12 HR's in his first 60 ABs or so. Amazing.

chopperjc
09-30-2005, 01:42 PM

He had run into the tarp I believe before the end of the year and played hurt that series.

maurice
09-30-2005, 02:17 PM
To the editors:

Chris DeLuca's article ("Plenty of joy, but where was the Hurt," Sept. 30, 2005) asks, "Where was Frank Thomas?" then proceeds to disparage him for rehabbing in Las Vegas pursuant to team policy. It's clear from the article that DeLuca knew exactly where Thomas was. He was on a plane to Cleveland, where he purchased 20 $100 bottles of champagne for his teammates and greeted them curbside upon their arrival. Leave it to the anti-Sox media to attempt to tarnish such a wonderful gesture.

Lip Man 1
09-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Thomas also was walked 10 times in the six game series with the Blue Jays, still an ALCS record. Toronto pitchers weren't stupid they were not going to let Frank beat them.

Lip

JackParkman
09-30-2005, 02:57 PM
This paragraph here pretty much takes the prize for most assinine statement of the 2005 season:

"Even Magglio Ordonez, the former Sox All-Star right fielder who not-so-secretly wishes he were still in Chicago, was at Comerica Park."

Psstt ... hey Chris, might this be because oh, I don't know, Ordonez plays for the Tigers? Sheesh, the guy makes it sound like Magglio was there to support his former team. What a jackass.

A. Cavatica
10-01-2005, 12:23 AM
This excerpt from whitesox.com:

Big surprise: The White Sox arrived at their Cleveland hotel last night to find a big surprise awaiting them. It was Frank Thomas, who had flown from Chicago to celebrate with the team. Thomas brought champagne with him and sprayed down his teammates on the bus before retiring to the hotel bar for a little more celebrating.

"It's too bad he wasn't in Detroit to celebrate with these guys," said Williams of Thomas. "Whether injured or not, he's been a big part of this family over the years and this team. He won a couple of games for us while he was back. Absolutely, he's part of the family."

"I was hoping tonight at Jacobs Field, but I'm happy," added Thomas. "The guys were ready to get it over with. They went through a tough stretch the last couple of weeks, but they persevered. They seemed to get hot at the right time, and that's going to the playoffs."

Thomas will be with the White Sox during the playoffs, although he won't be on the bench. An opening-round matchup against the Angels also would make it logistically easier for him to go on the road. The Big Hurt expressed optimism in regard to the latest set of X-rays on his ankle.

The most recent fracture in his left navicular showed signs of healing, but both Dr. Richard Ferkel, the examining doctor, and Thomas didn't want to rush the recovery. By Oct. 6, he could be out of his cast and in a walking boot, on his way toward a return for 2006. "It's real painful -- in the gut. This is what I do, and I haven't been able to do it right now," Thomas said of being inactive. "It's like a wasted year and a half for me. I'm just happy for everybody and happy to have had a chance to help this year at some point."

Deadguy
10-01-2005, 02:29 AM
Here's a column from Mike Downey:http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050930downey,1,2858541.column?coll=cs-home-utility

JRIG
10-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Here's a column from Mike Downey:http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050930downey,1,2858541.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Well,

"If ever there was a sign Thomas' 15-year career with the Sox is nearing its last chapter, this was it."

Thanks, Mr. DeLuca. Right again.

jerry myers
10-01-2005, 07:51 PM
When they hand those rings out, Frank will be the most deserving.amen!