PDA

View Full Version : With the way this sox season has gone

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 06:47 PM
from the numerous comebacks, to the nailbiting finishes..how could we expect... or want.. for that matter, anything other than an exciting clinch of a playoff spot?

Now that the clinching is done, I'm kinda glad it went this way. Kept the team sharp, instead of getting complacent with the huge lead going into the postseason.

I think the indians surge, more than the sox "collapse" (which they didn't do, but most media members want you to believe) was a great thing for this team heading into the postseason. I think i mentioned it about a month and a half ago, I said that I didn't want the sox to tank games to make it close, but I also didn't want a huge division lead (to allow the team to get complaceent). And surprisingly, it worked out perfectly. The sox played average baseball, and the indians played lights out, and kept the sox from getting to complacent. This took some years off my heart, but in retrospect, is exactly what i wanted.

Thanks for playing great ball, tribe. (notice no teal)

fusillirob1983
09-29-2005, 07:07 PM
We had this huge collapse but are only one game worse than the Cardinals right now.

itsnotrequired
09-29-2005, 07:08 PM
We had this huge collapse but are only one game worse than the Cardinals right now.

...and still have a chance to finish the season with the best record in the majors. When is the last time a team "choked" their way to the best record in the league? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm going to guess, oh, I don't know...never.:cool:

Iwritecode
09-29-2005, 07:10 PM

Yep. They collapsed right into 96 wins and the best record in the AL.

Geez, the 2000 team really must've sucked. They only won 95 games. :rolleyes:

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-29-2005, 07:31 PM
There's no way the Sox have been choking. They've played pretty good ball the last couple months but this was all overshadowed by the amazing run of the Tribe during that same period.

mbwhitesox
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
There's no way the Sox have been choking. They've played pretty good ball the last couple months but this was all overshadowed by the amazing run of the Tribe during that same period.

Well obviously the Sox played better in the first half than they did in the second half, but there is no way they played bad enough to be "chokers". If the Indians didn't go on this amazing run and played the same way they did the first half, the Sox never would have been close to losing the division and no one would have even metioned "choking".

But now that we've clinched the division, I'm sure we will get the media respect we deserve for gritting it out and holding off a very tough Indians team, along with numerous media predictions to win the World Series.

PicktoCLick72
09-29-2005, 08:28 PM
I totally agree that this race will help the Sox go deep into October. Let's go start a string of eleven wins on Tuesday.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 08:32 PM

No kidding! And, even the Cardinals' record is super-inflated, since the only other good teams in the NL are the Braves and Astros. Our record looks much better in the long run.

Jurr
09-29-2005, 08:50 PM
This is what a lot of us have been saying all along. A good gut check is going to help this team out a LOT more than a clinch in early September. There were just so many people that must not have had enough stomach lining to take the ride.

But, my friends, you are all alive, the Sox DID win, and we're all the better for it. :bandance: