PDA

View Full Version : Props to those who kept the faith.....

AZChiSoxFan
09-29-2005, 05:46 PM
I remember after the game vs. KC on Sep 15, many Sox fans (myself included) reached for the panic button. Props to "SoxFan26" and "Beckett21" for your comments in the postgame thread that day. I know there are others who stayed strong at that point as well, but I specifically remember the two of you. Nice job.

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

DC Sox Fan
09-29-2005, 06:00 PM
I'll wholehartedly admit full-fledged "panic". However, I credit my family on this board for keeping me from totally losing it.

We have been through one hell of a roller coaster ride. Although I haven't posted a whole lot, I've been looking at the boards every damn day for a full half-year. You got me through this, folks. I'm talking to the optimism of PHG and co, the bitch-slapping parental hand of VC and Daver, the amazing wit of Baby Fisk... the list goes on and on. As I sipped my victory champagne at the bar today after the game, a bartender told me "too bad no one is here to celebrate with you." I smiled and shook my head because you all have been with me all year and you all were most definitely there with me today. :gulp:

Enough sappy ****... LET'S GO SOX!!!

PAPChiSox729
09-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I'll admit I was getting nervous when that lead got to 1.5. But I never completely abandoned ship. I just thought that I've been this far with them, might as well finish this whole thing off. I'm not going to give up on these guys until the last out is made! Go Sox!!

:bandance:

Palehose13
09-29-2005, 06:10 PM
You're welcome.

Remember us when you lose faith again. 11 more games to win. Rest up this weekend. It's gonna be a wild ride!

beckett21
09-29-2005, 06:13 PM
I saved my own personal meltdown for after the loss to the Twinkies...:redneck

Never let 'em see you sweat. Worry is for the weak. :cool:

gosox3072
09-29-2005, 07:34 PM
I dont think anyone completely abandoned ship.....but i certainly was about ready to panic. That 1 win against cleveland last week restored my faith though. Either way can i quote barry manalow by saying "Looks like we made it!":redneck

SoxRulecubsdrool
09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
A lot of us kept the faith through this wild ride.
It only cost me chewing my fingernails down to my knuckles and about 25 cases of Miller Lite. Toss in snapping at my wife and kids every ten minutes and contemplating shaving my head or standing out in the street in front of my house waiting for a cement truck to go by. Along with dropping out of society, wearing deguises and refusing to turn on the news.
Besides that, everyting went fine. Bring on the playoffs. I am completely calm.

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I had no worries, but I do fear visiting this board if, God forbid, there is one bad playoff game

ilsox7
09-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I had no worries, but I do fear visiting this board if, God forbid, there is one bad playoff game

As someone who has easily been dubbed a Pollyana, I can only say today was a GREAT day! You always gotta keep perspective. Having said that, we start from scratch Tuesday. It's a new season. I will be pulling my hair out.

Madvora
09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm actually surprised in myself. I gave up early for the last 3 years and I didn't know that I could handle one more. I make specific demands that I wouldn't watch the Sox again unless they made major changes to that piece of crap they had last year... well they did and I was as happy as anyone for it.
I had to take a break from a few games at the end of the season here, but I never thought that they would lose the division lead. 15 game still remains impossible to make up.

I hope they can look at the playoffs as a whole new season and start hitting like they have been for the last two days. If that keeps up, the Sox will be real dangerous.

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Don't applaud the bandwagon bus driver (me!) yet, we've still got 11 more wins to go!

We're stopping for a quick weekend rest stop and to pick up more riders, but starting Tuesday it's full speed ahead!!!

:bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

havelj
09-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I had faith due to the fact that the Sox are #1 in pitching.

The reason the Red Sox have so little confidence is their pitching is #11. Now they are down 4-1.

Vernam
09-29-2005, 08:29 PM
I had no worries, but I do fear visiting this board if, God forbid, there is one bad playoff gameThere might be a bad playoff game?! Arrggggh!!! :redneck

I honestly never doubted they'd win the division, though there were a few points where I worried they might not. Big difference . . . I'd be surprised if anyone here never worried for even a moment.

My most worrisome moments were:

Hafner's double off Cotts on Sept 20.
Hafner's HR off Garland on Sept 21.

And it definitely helped to know there were other diehards who weren't slitting their wrists. :worship:

Vernam

tebman
09-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Whenever I felt discouraged, I just thought of Bafiarocks03.

TommyJohn
09-29-2005, 08:38 PM
I have to admit I was panicking for a while. I will say unabashedly that the
in-your-face optimism of people like MarySwiss, voodoo and PH13 kept me
on the ledge. It was actually great to read the posts of people who believed
that they would win, no matter how much the lead was Shrinking.
Speaking of which, the posts of the above-mentioned people and others
provided a great antitode to ChiSoxNutcasePsychoWackoDipDipDipDipDipDipDip.

Jurr
09-29-2005, 08:38 PM
I saved my own personal meltdown for after the loss to the Twinkies...:redneck

Never let 'em see you sweat. Worry is for the weak. :cool:
Damned skippy. There were a lot of us on this board that embraced the end of this season as a chance to see what our boys were made of. Every team that ends up doing something great needs that gut check to see if they've got what it takes, and the Sox proved that they do have a backbone.

Now, my friends, it's playoff time. I cannot wait.

Palehose, George, Daver, Beckett, and the rest of you that held strong and kept your heads up through this whole thing, GOD BLESS YOU. It was tough, but there had to be some cooler heads among this crew. George, I loved the "NFL schedule" reference that was made, and I think it helped a lot of people keep their eyes open to the fact that everything was going to be alright. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

MUsoxfan
09-29-2005, 08:39 PM
I have to admit that I didn't keep faith. I was up and down with every win and loss. I've been nervous for a month. Now I can sleep easy for a couple nights.

delben91
09-29-2005, 09:18 PM
My thanks to all those level-headed WSIer's as well. I "lost faith" momentarily in a drunken stupor one night, characterized by comparing the Sox to the Dolphins and whining about Wanny...a dark day for me indeed.

Barring that, I had many, many nervous moments, and groused my fair share. My apologies to all, and especially the Sox for my wavering faith... :(:

Wsoxmike59
09-29-2005, 10:43 PM
The past two months have been such an emotional roller coaster. This is without a doubt the most gut wrenching and emotional season I've ever experienced as a Sox fan.

I'm in daily contact with Soxwon (via email, games, phone calls) and each day we'd pick each other up if the other was down.

Da Reverend and I kept the faith, despite moments of fret and despair, we hung in there and kept going to games and listening on radio and watching on TV.

All our effort and emotions were rewarded with what I feel is hands down the most awesome regular season in my lifetime.

I always considered 1990 to be the pinnacle of my White Sox fandom.....followed closely by 1993 - 1983 - 1994- and 2000. Honorable mentions to 1972 - 1977 and 1996.

But 2005 so far blows all those years away. I haven't been this "jacked' about the Sox in quite some time.

It's Time!!

http://www.groomsonline.com/sbmimages/pics/MLB/WHITE-SOX-04.gif

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/trans.gif

TomBradley72
09-29-2005, 10:51 PM
I credit my family on this board for keeping me from totally losing it.

We have been through one hell of a roller coaster ride. Although I haven't posted a whole lot, I've been looking at the boards every damn day for a full half-year. You got me through this, folks. I'm talking to the optimism of PHG and co, the bitch-slapping parental hand of VC and Daver, the amazing wit of Baby Fisk... the list goes on and on. As I sipped my victory champagne at the bar today after the game, a bartender told me "too bad no one is here to celebrate with you." I smiled and shook my head because you all have been with me all year and you all were most definitely there with me today. :gulp:

Enough sappy ****... LET'S GO SOX!!!

Well said. :cheers:

Ol' No. 2
09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Grinder rule #78: That grinding sound you've heard for the last month was my teeth as they tried their damndest to give it away. But they'd built up too big of a lead, and when you've got pitching, you're always in the game.

Now wasn't that a lot more fun than if they'd just cruised in with a 15 game lead?

SoxSpeed22
09-29-2005, 10:59 PM
Now wasn't that a lot more fun than if they'd just cruised in with a 15 game lead?You know how it is, the tougher something is, the more rewarding it is when you succeed.:D:
:threadrules:

Domeshot17
09-30-2005, 12:38 AM
You know, I said from august I will panic when we lose the best record in the AL, until then I felt safer than unsafe. I dont blame anyone for panicing

BUT NOW IT DOESNT MATTER

PANIC HAS TURN TO CELEBRATION

AND LETS ALL DO ALOT OF THE THAT

voodoochile
09-30-2005, 12:48 AM
First the important thing...

I want to apologize to anyone I offended with my shut up thread. I realize there are many different fans out there and styles of rooting. I was mostly venting my frustration too. Some of that frustration was caused by the darker fans posting on the forums, but some of it was internal caused by the ever tightening race, so if I ticked you off, I do apologize.

Now the fun stuff...

Should I say it?

No... you really don't have to say it...

Come on... I really want to say it...

Well... if you insist...

I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Thanks, I feel much better. :):):):):)

http://are.berkeley.edu/courses/EEP101/spring03/AllThatSmog/pictures/sky.jpg

I can see clearly now the rain is gone...

And away we go...

FarWestChicago
09-30-2005, 01:38 AM
I want to apologize to anyone I offended with my shut up thread.As you well know, Voo, the Foulweather fans hate me more than anybody. And I'm not apologizing to any of them. :redneck

elrod
09-30-2005, 02:06 AM
There were nights lately where my stomach was literally hurting. My parents visitied me the night of the 9/14 KC collapse and I couldn't really admit to them why I was downright depressed that night. I finally fessed up that it wasn't stress from grad school, or the kids, or anything like that. It was the White Sox and their shrinking lead. Strangely, they understood. I kept thinking about how awful it would be to blow the whole lead. Not because I'd have to hear from Cub fans, but because I couldn't bear the thought of so much emotional energy and optimism going for naught. I've had that feeling in a few individual games this season - there was a game early in the season where the Sox led at Anaheim until the 7th inning, when Dallas McPherson hit a homer against Contreras, and all I could think of was that I had gotten so excited about a series win in Anaheim and it didn't happen. Down the stretch I wasn't so worried that the Sox would keep losing, but that the Indians would never lose. And then when Grady Sizemore lost that ball in the sun, the same day Buehrle shut down the Twins, I finally felt a little better. It was as if the baseball gods had finally said, "OK, you passed the test. You've suffered enough." I knew the Indians would flop against Tampa after that, though I thought we'd crush Detroit in four straight. It still wasn't easy these last few days, but when Paulie caught that line drive, I had the biggest smile on my face in a very long time. Tonight I will have the first peaceful night sleep in months. Yes, I am a White Sox fanatic.

Harry Chappas
09-30-2005, 10:23 AM
The low point for me was during the last K.C. series. I was in my basement, which started to resemble a bomb shelter and during a particularly animated screaming-at-the-TV session, my wife came down to report that I was scaring our dog and that he wouldn't come out from under our kitchen table.

I never gave up hope, but I was for damn sure sweating it a bit!

miker
09-30-2005, 11:32 AM
As I look back, I can say that:

I never threw in the towel...and I'm proud of that.
I did make the mistake of thinking that the Detroit series at home was going to right the ship...then KC happened.:mad:
I never did get too upset...I usually displayed my displeasure my turning off the postgame show and turning on some soothing music. Then venting on WSI.
There were only a few Cub fans who gave me grief, but even they weren't as malicious as they could've been. I responded that I still had my faith and I'm not going to panic...which they oddly seemed to respect.
When Paulie caught the line drive, I stopped what I was doing and did my own fist pump.

Now, on to the playoffs!

soxfan26
09-30-2005, 11:35 AM
I usually save my pessimism for the pre-season. Just look at my predictions for the 2005 season:

Team Stats

Wins: 88

Division Placement: 2nd

Post-Season Success: Maybe next season

Pitching Leader Predictions

Wins: Garcia

Saves: Mr. Zero

SO: Garcia

ERA: Buehrle

Walks: Garland

Losses: Contreras

I just LOVE being wrong! This team turned out to be much better than I thought possible, what can I say they made a believer out of me! :cool:

BNLSox
09-30-2005, 12:30 PM
I posted after we lost game 1 to the Indians that if they failed to maintain their lead I would not be able to bare watching baseball for at least a year. After I wrote that I took a long look in the mirror and decided if I was going to go out, I'd go out swinging.

I went into my closet and took all of my white sox gear out and put it on my desk. Since then I have worn Sox shirts, jerseys, buttons, hats, etc. every single day. I live in Los Angeles so this got some strange responses but it helped me through.... Basically when i felt like throwing it in, I said well I might as well go down swinging.

Even if this club fails to do damage this post season, their composure and chemistry have renewed my faith in this franchise. Good job boys, just be who you are and we'll all have something to celebrate soon!