PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Settle this Bet for Me?

BRDSR
09-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Alright, I apologize in advance for another thread about post-season matchups, but my friend and I have a little money on who the Sox will play in the first round of the playoffs. He contends that the team with the best record plays the wild card unless the wild card is from their division. I contend that the team with the best record plays the team with the worst record, unless that the team with the worst record is the wild card winner and in their division.

So, if the Angels, Red Sox, and Yankees all won this evening, and the Indians lost, and the season ended today, the Angels would end with 92 wins, the Red Sox with 93 and the Yankees with 94. I believe that with 96 wins, we would play the Angels. He believes that we would play the Red Sox, because they are the wild card winner. Who is correct?

Palehose13
09-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Alright, I apologize in advance for another thread about post-season matchups, but my friend and I have a little money on who the Sox will play in the first round of the playoffs. He contends that the team with the best record plays the wild card unless the wild card is from their division. I contend that the team with the best record plays the team with the worst record, unless that the team with the worst record is the wild card winner and in their division.

So, if the Angels, Red Sox, and Yankees all won this evening, and the Indians lost, and the season ended today, the Angels would end with 92 wins, the Red Sox with 93 and the Yankees with 94. I believe that with 96 wins, we would play the Angels. He believes that we would play the Red Sox, because they are the wild card winner. Who is correct?

He is.

FoulTerritory

your friend is correct.

Jjav829
The team with the best record plays the Wild Card team unless the Wild Card team is from the same division. In that case the team with the best record would play the division winner with the worst record.

anewman35
09-29-2005, 04:14 PM

Sorry. He's right.

elrod
09-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Your friend is correct. The top division winner plays the Wild Card, unless the Wild Card is from your division. Period.