PDA

View Full Version : walk to us celular field

sachin
09-29-2005, 12:18 PM
hello, me and my brother live in Hyde Park for university at university of chicago. We like Chicago White Sox since september and wish to go to the us celular field for the game and have tickets for game 1. We wish to walk because we do not own car, can you reccommend a good route for us? We share room at university of chicago dorm.

Sincerely,

Sachin

balz1472
09-29-2005, 02:24 PM
If you can get to a CTA Green Line stop, that would be your best bet. I live in the West loop and take the Green Line all the time. It is a lot less crowded than the Red Line which is what everyone else takes. Just get off the Green Line at 35th/Bronzeville.

I am sure you can probably take a combo of the bus/train as well. Check out the CTA web site: www.transitchicago.com (http://www.transitchicago.com) (look at system maps)

Ol' No. 2
09-29-2005, 02:36 PM
hello, me and my brother live in Hyde Park for university at university of chicago. We like Chicago White Sox since september and wish to go to the us celular field for the game and have tickets for game 1. We wish to walk because we do not own car, can you reccommend a good route for us? We share room at university of chicago dorm.

Sincerely,

SachinIt's a pretty long walk and not through the nicest parts of town. I recommend public transportation.

DumpJerry
09-29-2005, 02:39 PM
I grew up in Hyde Park going to Sox games. Why on Earth would you want to walk there? It is approx. 4 miles. If you must, walk up the lakefront then cut over at 31st Street. Don't do it at night.

Otherwise, take the 55 bus on 55th street to the Dan Ryan and transfer to the Red Line to Howard and get off at 35th street. $1.75+transfer ( $.25, I think) each way.

maurice
09-29-2005, 03:36 PM
As others have mentioned, it's should be cheap, safe, quick, and easy to take the CTA. OTOH, if you insist on walking for some reason, the lakefront route is the most scenic and safest.

A much more direct, still scenic, but less safe route would take you up Drexel to its end-point near Pershing, west on Pershing to Wentworth, north on Wentworth to the park. Be advised that the portion of this route along Pershing takes you between 2 low-rise housing projects.

DAllen15
09-29-2005, 03:42 PM
As others have mentioned, it's should be cheap, safe, quick, and easy to take the CTA. OTOH, if you insist on walking for some reason, the lakefront route is the most scenic and safest.

A much more direct, still scenic, but less safe route would take you up Drexel to its end-point near Pershing, west on Pershing to Wentworth, north on Wentworth to the park. Be advised that the portion of this route along Pershing takes you between 2 low-rise housing projects.

I think you should be able to gage by the responses that it's probable worth the cab fare....

DrummerGeorgefan
09-29-2005, 04:46 PM
55 Bus to the Garfield Redline stop. Red line to the game.

That is the best way to get to the game. Getting home the 55th bus may take longer to show up, so a cab isnt a bad idea

DumpJerry
09-29-2005, 05:14 PM
55 Bus to the Garfield Redline stop. Red line to the game.

That is the best way to get to the game. Getting home the 55th bus may take longer to show up, so a cab isnt a bad idea
or take Red Line downtown to the bus or cab to Hyde Park. The bus should be the Jeffrey Express, but check first-things have changed since I left the 'hood.

nasox
09-29-2005, 05:18 PM

Sincerely,

Sachin

This is not meant negatively: But are you a foreign student studying here? Are you Indian?

I only ask because I am Indian myself, and there are tons of Indians at U of C

slavko
09-29-2005, 05:19 PM

Sincerely,

Sachin

Me never went to the University of Chicago. Are the people there smart?

DrummerGeorgefan
09-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Me never went to the University of Chicago. Are the people there smart?

Well, after being there for four years, I can assure you that people didnt get in on looks