PDA

View Full Version : This might be fun...

Konerkoholic
09-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Last night I decided to rank the 2005 Chicago White Sox in terms of performance. My only criterion was pretty much how well they did in comparison to their expectations. There were some exceptions. For instance, Jenks has done way better than I expected from a rookie, and Jermaine has simply met my expectations, but I'm gonna put JD over Bobby because JD's been contributing regularly the whole year. So there are other factors at play. Anyway, the list looks like this:

1. Konerko - Only real consistent power threat : 40 and 100 on this team cannot be understated.
2. Garland - Most consistent ace over the whole year; several big games and 3 SHOs.
3: Podsednik - Catalyst. Best BA on the team.
4. Hermanson - Almost perfect thru mid-may: Consistenly nails it down.
5: Buehrle - Despite some struggles in the 2nd half, still the consistent horse he's always been.
6: Contreras - Maybe deserves to be higher because of all the HUGE victories in the 2nd half, almost all of which were pitcher's duels.
7: Iguchi - As good a 1st half as I could've hoped for. Adjusted very well to new league.
8. Politte- Amazing 1st half. Struggles in the 2nd but overall terrific work.
9. Cotts - Consistently gets the tough outs.
10. Dye- Solid numbers, pretty streaky tho.
11. Pierzynski - Handled the staff, HRs to boot
12. Garcia - inconsistent but dominant at times.
13. Everett - Clutch RBIs in the 1st half
14. Jenks - Stepped up big in a short period of time.
15. Rowand - Terriffic glovework, leads team in BA w/ RISP
16. Ozuna - Always ready to play.
17. McCarthy - Several good starts ; baffled Boston
18. Crede - Great glove and clutch hits
19. Uribe - amazing D, some clutch hits
20. Widger - Not a lot of ABs but 2 big HRs off Zito and Unit.
21. Vizcaino - Overcame early struggles to have a respectable year.
22. Marte - Too many walks and HBPs.
23. Hernandez - Good enough in the 1st, Piss-poor in the 2nd.
24. Harris - Not much PT, not much to show for it.
25. Blum - Maybe one big hit the whole year.

Garland_IS_God
09-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd put Contreras right below Podsednik.

SoxFan76
09-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Crede and Uribe deserve to be higher based on defense alone. If you want to talk offense, Crede does have a new career high in homers.

But the left side of the infield has saved so many runs due to their defense, it's unreal.

Just my opinion.

gosox83
09-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Wheres Ozzie??

mdep524
09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Exceeded my expectations:
Hermanson - duh
Garland - finally put it together
Contreras - !!!
Harris - solid at bats since being called up again
Ozuna - always makes something happen
Widger - infrequent at bats, handled staff nicely
Politte - great command
Dye - 30 HRs
McCarthy - September record speaks for itself
Jenks - rookie closer!
Konerko - horrid start, great finish
Cotts - rock solid

Met my expectations:
Buehrle - my favorite player, I always have high expectations
Garcia - very good, but not a lock
Hernandez - didn't expect Cy Young, but we got a heck of an April and May
Crede - shows flashes, great glove. 20 HRs from #9 hitter!
Uribe - I expected a let down from '04 offensively
Everett - clutch play in April through June was so important
Podsednik - hit about what I expected
Iguchi - I actually had high expectations for Tadahito, and he didn't disappoint!
Vizcaino - didn't like him when he was acquired, didn't really change my opinion despite improving in the 2nd half
Blum - same as Vizcaino

Didn't meet my expectations:
Marte - coughBillyKochchough
Pierzynski - was hoping for a higher BA, lots of wild pitches/passed balls, good job handling staff
Rowand - still waiting for him to go on a streak of doubles/gappers, horribly soft contact
Shingo - remember him? I expected him to be a reliable closer

Incomplete:
Big Frank, Gload, Anderson, Borchard all looked good in limited action to me

Konerkoholic
09-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Crede and Uribe deserve to be higher based on defense alone. If you want to talk offense, Crede does have a new career high in homers.

But the left side of the infield has saved so many runs due to their defense, it's unreal.

Just my opinion.
Yeah, you're right. I should definitely move em ahead of Brandon and Pablo at least.

maurice
09-29-2005, 03:21 PM
My only criterion was pretty much how well they did in comparison to their expectations....
1. Konerko

This doesn't make any sense. You're saying that Konerko exceeded your expectations more than any other Sox player?!? He had 41 HR and 117 RBI last year. His HR total, AVE, and OPS this season are essentially the same as 2004, and his RBI total will be something like 15 fewer than 2004. What exactly did you expect him to do this season?

I agree with the rest of your list, except I'd probably put Rowand a bit lower (disappointing power numbers) and Harris / Blum higher (extremely low expectations).

BTW, you know you had a great season when guys like Marte (3.71 ERA) and Vizcaino (3.72) qualify as "disappointing." Most teams would love to have guys like that in their bullpen.
:D:

Konerkoholic
09-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Well, Considering this Sox offense is not as high-powered as it has been in the past few years, and teams have been more careful with Paulie this year, I would say PK has stepped up LARGE. I would certainly call him this team's offensive MVP, and for these reasons I put him at the top.

maurice
09-29-2005, 03:43 PM
You didn't answer my question. What exactly did you expect him to do this season?

Considering last year's 41/117 and the fact that your screenname is "Konerkoholic," I find it extremely difficult to believe that 40/100 greatly exceeded you expectations.
:wink:

longshot7
09-29-2005, 03:47 PM
where's Timo?

Konerkoholic
09-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Eh, forget about the expectations. His contributions put him at the top.

Deuce
09-29-2005, 04:03 PM
I have to admit, I expected a lot more GIDPs from Konerko.