PDA

View Full Version : Dusty blames Chicago's night life and climate for Scrubs' woes

SOX ADDICT '73
09-29-2005, 11:08 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-050928cubsgamer,1,2465352.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true
Do the Cubs need more mentally tough players to handle the rigors of playing a predominantly day-game schedule at Wrigley?
"I don't know about mentally tougher, but they have to be more disciplined," Baker said. "I think it's more conducive to clean-living guys with families than it is for single guys who like to hang out.
"It's a lot more challenging here than anywhere. I thought about that this morning—the most challenging places to play for a young player are probably New York, Miami and Chicago because they stay open so late.
"You have other places that close at 1 o'clock or quarter to two, and if you were playing night games, then you could sleep in and get your rest in. But here, there would be some guys still here—not to mention any names—if we played more night games and they were more disciplined."

Asked about the biggest obstacles he has faced at Wrigley that he may not have considered when he was hired, Baker mentioned the unpredictable wind. The wind blew out more often in 2004 (39-35) but blew in more often this season (45-28).
"One of the primary obstacles is probably the element of the wind and which direction [it's blowing]," Baker said. "It can change the outcome of a game. Some days the ballpark giveth, and sometimes the ballpark taketh away.
"I've noticed it tends to take away more than it [gives]. This wind here can blow two or three different ways in the same day. That's the one element you really can't prepare for."

Yeah Dusty, it had nothing to do with your terrible team or managerial skills...

jackbrohamer
09-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Very classy of Sully to take a gratuitous cheap shot at Rafael Furcal. What a jerk, glad he's not covering the Sox.

the_valenstache
09-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Wow. This whole article is a beacon of pure class.

bennyw41
09-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Every Cubs manager for the last so many years has complained about the majority of day games the team plays.

Baby Fisk
09-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Every Cubs manager for the last so many years has complained about the majority of day games the team plays.
...and ownership has replied accordingly, because they are determined to win.

voodoochile
09-29-2005, 11:40 AM
The manager blaming the players for lack of discipline...

Typical Dusty.

Hey Dusty, how about you actually get in a guys face when he comes to the park half in the bag and smelling of whiskey?

I am shocked this guy still has a job. I think he's got at most a year left in Chicago if he doesn't get fired in the off-season.

C-Dawg
09-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Last night I was reading a copy of "Streets & Smith's Baseball yearbook 1980" and in the section on the Cubs they mentioned the no-night-games as one reason the Cub management gives as an excuse for bad play year after year. Guess its the same old story now 25 years later!

Also in the same issue, they had a piece about the Phillies 23-22 victory over the Cubs at Wrigley Field in May, 1979. The interesting part about it was the attendance - just under 15,000!! Bet they didn't even open up the upper deck for that!

SaltyPretzel
09-29-2005, 12:15 PM
"One of the primary obstacles is probably the element of the wind and which direction [it's blowing]"

He should be more concerned about how the Cubs are blowing.

Palehose13
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
The manager blaming the players for lack of discipline...

Typical Dusty.

Hey Dusty, how about you actually get in a guys face when he comes to the park half in the bag and smelling of whiskey?

I am shocked this guy still has a job. I think he's got at most a year left in Chicago if he doesn't get fired in the off-season.

Yeah, I did one of these :?: when I read that. I thought that was his job. :dunno:

daveeym
09-29-2005, 01:37 PM
"One of the primary obstacles is probably the element of the wind and which direction [it's blowing]"

He should be more concerned about how the Cubs are blowing. It was the wind down in Arizona too.:rolleyes:

ode to veeck
09-29-2005, 01:43 PM
The Cubs really deserve to have Dusty stick around for a few more years

PaleHoseGeorge
09-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Oh, Lord... every 2-3 years the Cubune succeeds in getting City Hall to let them add a few more night games to the schedule. It's been like this for 17 years now, and yet the Flubbies still reach for that same tired excuse about the "burden" of playing day games. Such bull****...

IT'S ALL ABOUT MAKING MORE MONEY FOR THE CUBUNE!

The Cubs suck. They sucked before they got night games and they suck after they got night games. Night games or not, the Cubs ALWAYS suck.

But gosh... what a surprise that Dusty's day game excuse makes it into the Cubune sports section.
:cool:

:cubune

PatK
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Dennis Eckersly did say that the Cubs were the worst team to play for, because you have mostly day games and the place is surrounded by bars.

Then again, he was a bigt-time alcoholic. Funny how he sobered up and defined the closer once he left the Flubs.

thepaulbowski
09-29-2005, 05:03 PM
Jeez, I live in Chicago and I am able to go out at night and be to work in the morning with no problem. I must be a special breed.

doublem23
09-29-2005, 05:30 PM

The other team has no problem winning them. :tongue:

FARMEO
09-29-2005, 05:38 PM
I tipped a few back with Farnsworth one night. There was a day game the next day, but Kyle wasn't concerned about pitching because he just pitched and had a bad outing. Although, this is a weak excuse.

chaerulez
09-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Very classy of Sully to take a gratuitous cheap shot at Rafael Furcal. What a jerk, glad he's not covering the Sox.

How is that being a jerk? Tell Furcal's garbage self to stop getting DUIs.

chuckn98229
09-30-2005, 04:26 AM
oh, whine me a river, Dusty. you are a real piece of crap.

voodoochile
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
This isn't the first time a flubbie manager has tried to use the day game excuse. I remember some manager from many years ago claiming that playing nothing but day games during the heat of the summer took the legs from the team and they would be better off if they could play at night when it is cooler so the players would conserve more energy.

Now I get the full picture.

It's not playing in the heat, it's playing in the heat with a hangover that does it. I admit that I sweat more when I have been drinking the night before, so I can imagine how horrible it must be to stand around in the sunshine with your head pounding hoping no one hits the ball to you so you don't have to exert any energy.

In addition, it proves what a great manager Dusty is. He never plays young guys and now we know why - because they cannot control themselves when faced with the temptations of the Chicago nightlife...:rolleyes:

miker
09-30-2005, 11:04 AM
So during the "Dusty Era", the blame has been officially attributed to:

white players
the TV announcers
Steve Bartman
...and now the nightlife?

When you point a finger, there are four more pointing back at you!

Thank God I'm not a Cub fan!!! http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/icons/scrubs25.gif

eriqjaffe
09-30-2005, 11:46 AM
Weren't all the games of the 2003 NLCS played at night?

mrfourni
09-30-2005, 12:41 PM
Weren't all the games of the 2003 NLCS played at night?

no teal neccessary

Tekijawa
09-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Cubs are 41-42 in Day Games... They are 37-39 in Night games. Cubs are 38-43 at home and 40-38 on the road. I couldn't Break it down to home day games but it appears to be statistically insignificant.

Try again Dusty!

I wasn't able to figure out the records durring those Dificult Windy days.