PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Red Eye: anyone see it?

Baby Fisk
09-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Has anyone got a copy of Thursday's Red Eye? They did a piece on Sox fans. The linky only provides a first part of the article, not the whole thing. :angry: Is it possible to access the entire article electronically?

http://www.redeyechicago.com/cover.htm

patbooyah
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
sox fans?

that val chick doesn't seem like a true fan.

SoxFan78
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Quoting Ron Burgundy...

"Go **** yourself RedEye"

VC Edit: to quote the code of conduct, DON'T try to evaded the language filters. I won't edit your next mistake, I'll give you the week off even if it means banned for playoff games.

IlliniSox
09-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Eh.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-050929soxmain,1,7550362.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

mjharrison72
09-29-2005, 10:35 AM
I saw it, too, and recognized a few of the people they interviewed as PHG (ID'd as a WSIer), PH13 and, I assume, Baby Fisk himself (how many other Sox fans are there in Toronto?). If you want, Fisk, I can mail you a copy of today's... how many Canadian dollars would that cost? :D:
Seriously... PM me if you want me to send you a copy.

On a related note, the spread itself was really typical Trib BS... little capsules mentioning all the close games we blew in August and September. Also included some jackass "Sox fan" who said if they don't make the playoffs, he's going to become a cubs fan. :o:

I really don't understand it... it's like they WANT us to lose!

SOXintheBURGH
09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
:chunks

:cubune

whitesoxwilkes
09-29-2005, 10:51 AM
I saw it, too, and recognized a few of the people they interviewed as PHG (ID'd as a WSIer), PH13 and, I assume, Baby Fisk himself (how many other Sox fans are there in Toronto?). If you want, Fisk, I can mail you a copy of today's... how many Canadian dollars would that cost? :D:

On a related note, the spread itself was really typical Trib BS... little capsules mentioning all the close games we blew in August and September. Also included some jackass "Sox fan" who said if they don't make the playoffs, he's going to become a cubs fan. :o:

Mike Wilkins is none other than yours truly.

Unregistered
09-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Mike Dulin, a 29-year-old Sox fan watching the game Wednesday at ESPNZone, is considering a desperate action if the Sox choke.

"I'll become a Cubs fan," he said

If this is a WSI member, ban this person IMMEDIATELY. :cool:

Baby Fisk
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM

Yes, that's me and my stomach pains... :redface:

I gave him some awesome quotes about Sox fans feeling very confident these days because we are in the lead and it's up to the Jndians to overtake us. I guess that kind of machismo wasn't interesting enough?

LongLiveFisk
09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
He'll become a Cubs fan? Yeah, ok, Mike....that'll solve ALL your problems. :rolleyes:

32nd&Wallace
09-29-2005, 11:02 AM

I gave him some awesome quotes about Sox fans feeling very confident these days because we are in the lead and it's up to the Jndians to overtake us. I guess that kind of machismo wasn't interesting enough?I'm shocked that you have never seen the Sox play at home? How did you get to be a Sox fan having been born and raised in Canada.

Unregistered
09-29-2005, 11:02 AM

I gave him some awesome quotes about Sox fans feeling very confident these days because we are in the lead and it's up to the Jndians to overtake us. I guess that kind of machismo wasn't interesting enough?Yeah, I was interviewed yesterday by a guy from the Tribune about what it's like to be a Sox fan in New York. I can't wait to see how they misquote me... :rolleyes:

I guess it's just always going to be a better story to show how Sox fans are panicking. :dunno:

bigsoxfan420
09-29-2005, 11:04 AM
This guy Greenfield is Flub fan who hates the Sox. He wrote an article about a month ago just about admitting this.

Baby Fisk
09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm shocked that you have never seen the Sox play at home? How did you get to be a Sox fan having been born and raised in Canada.I thank (blame?) Bill Veeck -- I liked the old navy blue uniforms as a kid, and stuck with the Sox all these years. I've been to Chicago once before in 1992, but during the off season.

Palehose13
09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
Wow. I said a lot of positive things. He asked how confident I was that the Sox would make the playoffs,and I responded that I was so confident that I bought tickets for the Angels home games and booked a flight. I think he was upset that I didn't have any physical ailments. :(:

Baby Fisk
09-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Good thing the reporter didn't see the recent thread about how Sox fans cope with losing (ie. the destroying furniture and smashing remote controls thread). His headline and story would have been all about "trashy Sox fans and their unavoidable tendencies towards violence".

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2005, 11:57 AM
David Haugh of the Tribune called me yesterday for a story on out-of-town Sox fans. He said it might run on Friday.

I told him that as a DFW-area Sox fan, I follow the Sox on WSI and listen to games on XM radio. I told him that I've been a Sox fans since 1983 when I moved to Chicago (SW burbs, actually) during the midst of the Winning Ugly pennant drive.

I told him that the White Sox are almost invisible to the media down here in Texas. I told him that the Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs often get as much attention as the Texas Rangers do from the DFW media.

I told him that it is to be expected for several reasons. First, football is king in Texas. In Dallas, the Cowboys lead the TV sports segments even in late May. The Rangers have to fight for scraps with the Mavericks and Stars. I told him there are lots of Midwest and East Coast transplants down here, so there are a lot of Red Sox and Yankees fans who pack Ameriquest Field when their teams come to town. I told him that it's not surprising that there are Cubs fans here, though, considering they have a media empire to promote them.

I told him that I often see fellow Sox fans at Sox-Rangers' games in Arlington, and that occasionally I'lll see Sox gear (especially retro jerseys, jackets and hats) on my campus.

I told David that I had one student in my class last semester who, when I mentioned I was a White Sox fan, said, "I've heard of the Red Sox, but not the White Sox." When I asked her if she had heard of the Cubs, she said "Duh..." :angry:

At the end of the interview, David also said he was trying to reach a Sox fan in England. I asked if the fan he was trying to reach was "SoxEd." He said it was.

David Haugh was friendly and conversational, but professional and polite. I'm looking forward to his story.

clogoodie
09-29-2005, 12:08 PM
RedEye is so painful to read...

Did they get in touch with all you guys via WSI?

Frater Perdurabo
09-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Did they get in touch with all you guys via WSI?

A certain moderator, whose identity I've been sworn to protect, invited me to e-mail David Haugh. :D:

Muopsies
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Clearly this story had been written for days. Its like when some very old celebrity dies and they have a full length story on him or her minutes after they announce their death. What can you expect from the Trib though?

Palehose13
09-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Clearly this story had been written for days. Its like when some very old celebrity dies and they have a full length story on him or her minutes after they announce their death. What can you expect from the Trib though?

We didn't talk to him until yesterday afternoon.