PDA

View Full Version : Sox clincher today on ESPN

Medford Bobby
09-29-2005, 08:28 AM
:smile: Hey at least US out of towners can see the Sox clinch today on ESPN, plus Friday as well if they don't wrap things up this afternoon. For all the ESPN bashing we do...they at least have the Sox games on for SOME national interest!!!!:gulp: FINALLY!!!:bandance:

lukesappling
09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Can someone please explain how the Sox can clinch today even though the magic number is 2? I haven't heard the explaination yet.

Sad
09-29-2005, 08:36 AM
Can someone please explain how the Sox can clinch today even though the magic number is 2? I haven't heard the explaination yet.

Because the best Cleveland can do at that point is tie the SOX & the tiebreaker (head to head competion) we already have in the bag.

Soxzilla
09-29-2005, 08:39 AM
And if Cleveland sweeps us, and beats the D-rays, they win the wild card.

We clinch tonite, as well, if we lose and the D-Rays beat the Indians...however, I prefer the thread starter's scenario.:tongue:

SSN721
09-29-2005, 08:43 AM
So what conditions then are there for the Sox to have to do the play-in game on Monday? I didnt know that if the records are tied between the Sox and INdians the Sox just win because of their record against them. I thought they still did the play-in game. Or is that only when other teams outside the division are tied?

CLR01
09-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Sox are not going to clinch. A psychic and an astrologer on Cold Pizza both saw them getting eliminated. :whiner:

Soxzilla
09-29-2005, 08:45 AM
So what conditions then are there for the Sox to have to do the play-in game on Monday? I didnt know that if the records are tied between the Sox and INdians the Sox just win because of their record against them. I thought they still did the play-in game. Or is that only when other teams outside the division are tied?

There will not be a tiebreaker game within the division to determine 'divisional' and 'wild card' status.

harwar
09-29-2005, 08:47 AM
I don't usually do this because i'm a bit superstitious but we started celebrating last night and plan on doing so for a month.
I just hope that its not chris berman & and that other moron whos' name escapes me.

Law11
09-29-2005, 08:58 AM
There will not be a tiebreaker game within the division to determine 'divisional' and 'wild card' status.

Wasnt there a coin flip sometime back to determine a divisional tie that Cleveland won?

What was the point of that if they go by head-to head.

Kogs35
09-29-2005, 08:59 AM
John Shonby(spl?), steve stone,steve phillips on the call for espn today

ozzman
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
all we have to do is win today. regardless if the indians win or not, we will maintain at least a 3 game lead if we win. that way even with an indians sweep, we win the division. lets hope for a clincher around 2:30 or 3 :)

mjmcend
09-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Wasnt there a coin flip sometime back to determine a divisional tie that Cleveland won?

That was to determine home field advantage for a possible one-game playoff that would only be used if the Sox and Indians ended the year tied for one playoff spot, such as the A.L. Central title and if the loser has no chance at the wildcard. But if the Sox win today, and Cleveland wins out then we both are tied for the best record in the A.L. and they won't have a playoff to determine who is the division champ since the loser is still going to the playoffs as the wild card. We get the division due to us winning the season head to head series.

anewman35
09-29-2005, 09:05 AM

They'd have to do the playoff game if it was a matter of being IN the playoffs (i.e., if Boston and New York had better records than the Sox and Cleveland, so the loser went home). Since both teams would make the playoffs anyway, there would be no playoff game.

stl_sox_fan
09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Yesss!!!!! Get to see my boys today!
BTW, what's up with WGN showing no love to the Sox this year? I love watching the Cubs struggle to break even this year in the middle of a Sox pennant race.

Taking off work early to watch the Pale Hoes here in St Louis today. Here's to the Cards slipping and the Sox back on top with the best record at season's end!!!!

cleanwsox
09-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Does the game on ESPN effect MLB.TV users? I know they black out all the Fox games no matter where you are but I'm not sure with the ESPN games.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
Taking off work early to watch the Pale Hoes here in St Louis today. Here's to the Cards slipping and the Sox back on top with the best record at season's end!!!!

You got some street walkers in need of a tan?? :D:

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
This means that I get to see it in High Def because DirecTV and Comcast being competitors they don't relay the signal in High Definition. Only when It's on ESPN do I have the Sox in glorious High Definition.

:bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

ChiSoxKB83
09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Do you think the Sox will be celebrating this afternoon after the game, or wait until they win this weekend in Cleveland? Assuming the Sox win this afternoon and they decide to celebrate, do you think ESPN would televise it? I remember when they clinched in Minnesota back in 2000, it was on TV and Gayle Fisher got drenched with champaign from Sirotka and Wunsch.
Looking forward to watching the boys party!! :party:

beer n champaign showers for all :drunken:

Goose
09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Does ESPN picking up the game mean that Comcast will not be airing it? I saw this morning on the cable listings that both were scheduled to show that game and I TiVo'd it on CSN because I want to have Hawk call the winner, not those lame asses on ESPN. Will I come home and find 3 hours of bass fishing highlights?

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Yea... it's good for us out of towners it's on national tv... except for those of us at work :angry:

I'm going to expect a very detailed game description in the clubhouse chat.

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Does ESPN picking up the game mean that Comcast will not be airing it? I saw this morning on the cable listings that both were scheduled to show that game and I TiVo'd it on CSN because I want to have Hawk call the winner, not those lame asses on ESPN. Will I come home and find 3 hours of bass fishing highlights?

I believe both will air it but one may be blacked out in Chicago. Sorry.:smile:

Muopsies
09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
I don't usually do this because i'm a bit superstitious but we started celebrating last night and plan on doing so for a month.
I just hope that its not chris berman & and that other moron whos' name escapes me.

Speaking of Tubby Berman, did anyone catch the utter disappointment in his voice when he was doing the promo for today's game during the BoSox game last night? He sounded so upset that Cleveland lost and the Sox won, more or less wrapping it up. Whatever dude.

crazyozzie02
09-29-2005, 11:50 AM
What happens if Cleveland is not in first of the wild card, but we are still tied for the divison? It is still possible.

voodoochile
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
What happens if Cleveland is not in first of the wild card, but we are still tied for the divison? It is still possible.

Only if it is a 4 way tie and then the divisions get settled first and the WC the day after in two games of tiebreakers.

Sox have clinched at least a one game playoff for a WC birth already.

The_Floridian
09-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Finally got DSL hookup here in France...just in time to hear the Sox clinch. I'd like ESPN but I'll take what I can get.

Hoo-ah.

batmanZoSo
09-29-2005, 11:58 AM

I think they're S.O.L. because in that case, they technically aren't in first because we dominated the piss out of them in head-to-head and thus we are the ones who are in first. They're just an also ran in that scenario.

balke
09-29-2005, 12:04 PM
So do the Sox clinch homefield advantage if they win and the Yanks lose? Or would that take 2 White Sox wins, and a Yanks loss?

ode to veeck
09-29-2005, 12:12 PM
:cleo

"The Sox will clinch today and the Indians will find a way to lose twice"

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 12:20 PM
I believe both will air it but one may be blacked out in Chicago. Sorry.:smile:ESPN doesn't have it in HD, Oh well I'll watch it on Comcast. Hope everybody has both in Chicago.

SouthSideHitman
09-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Dammit all! I was gonna catch the first and last hour of the game between classes, however it appears that some genius at ESPN decided that Beloit, WI was part of the Chicago market, despite the fact that we get Brewers games on cable, not the Sox.:angry::angry::angry::angry: