PDA

View Full Version : If the Sox clinch should they shut it down?

chaerulez
09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
That is if the Red Sox lose, but Sox and Cleveland but win, the Sox will have clinched a playoff spot. If that happens should we throw out three players that aren't going to make the playoffs (or be hardly used) to make the last three starts and give a few position players a rest each game?

I'd say yes, because if we win the division anyway, the Angels will be rested.

Bucky F. Dent
09-29-2005, 09:23 AM
Steve Stone said the smartest thing on this that I've heard in a while. You want your starters to stay in rhythm, so you pitch your regular rotation, but pull them early.

The only guy I would shut down would be Hermanson to give his back some relief for a few days....but if he tells me that he needs work to keep his back loose, maybe not.

All of us who have had back problems know that rest is not always the best answer for those pesky vertebrae!

Madvora
09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
I think Hernandez will get a start in Cleveland if we clinch early. He's going to be on the playoff roster and they're going to need to get him some work.
He's not going to start a playoff game or anything, but he might be needed in an emergency and this is the perfect time to get him some work.

Over By There
09-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I say keep everyone going - just don't push the starting pitching too hard. Seems like we're starting to get back into a bit of a rhythm offensively - let's keep it going.

09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Unless they are pitching a perfect game, no more then 5 innings for any SP

Sad
09-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Is there any way if we win today that we don't get home field advantage in the ALDS?

what if NY ends up with more wins and Boston gets the WC?

feh- no matter...
bottom line is we need to play for ALCS home field.

Kilroy
09-29-2005, 09:50 AM
I say we keep playing hard, no rest. Pitchers should be scaled back, but still pitch. The main reason I say that is because we can't just lay down and let the Jndians have a playoff spot, and if we can help them go home, all the better...

Of course, we still need to get ours secured first...

harwar
09-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Yea,the starters keep their regular rotation,just shorter outtings.
However;If we win today i think guys like Konerko,Iguchi,.A.J.,& Everett (who are clearly exhausted)should get a little time to just sit and relax.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Steve Stone said the smartest thing on this that I've heard in a while. You want your starters to stay in rhythm, so you pitch your regular rotation, but pull them early.

The only guy I would shut down would be Hermanson to give his back some relief for a few days....but if he tells me that he needs work to keep his back loose, maybe not.

All of us who have had back problems know that rest is not always the best answer for those pesky vertebrae!

And based on the way all of our starters have pitched in the past 6 games...I bet the bullpen is chomping to see some work. I love this idea - keep the rotation intact, pull them early.

A. Cavatica
09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
If we clinch today, I would play the bench (not the September callups, guys who are actually going to make the postseason roster!) on Friday. I know the game affects the wild card race, but the regulars are entitled to a day off, and Ozzie hasn't been able to keep the bench guys sharp lately.

Saturday and Sunday, I go back to the regular lineup, except for anyone who is trying to get healthier.

I would certainly keep the regular pitching rotation, but keep the starters under 100 pitches.

bennyw41
09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
I say we continue to use the appropriate players, including Blum in clutch/pinch situations.

A. Cavatica
09-29-2005, 10:49 AM
I say we continue to use the appropriate players, including Blum in clutch/pinch situations.

I would have brought Blum in for the ninth last night. Jenks wasn't sharp.

hawkjt
09-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I we win today- party like its 1999!!!!! On the field,in the locker room, on the plane and in cleveland; and on the south side,NW side,west side,north side,suburbs ect.

Then on Friday start Burls- let him go five and out.
Start the following lineup-
Widger
Ozuna
Blum
Harris
Gload
Timo
Anderson
Borchard
Crede-DH

I really think this lineup will win with the tribe tighter than a witches tat.

Saturday- let Garland work five and out

Play the regualars and relieve late in game

Sunday- el duque gets start and goes as long as possible.
Regulars play in the field.

Spinkle in the relievers as needed to keep the rust off.

A.T. Money
09-29-2005, 12:36 PM
Play Cleveland tough, knock em out of the playoffs so we can play the East in the first round of the playoffs. I don't want Anaheim.

ChiSoxRowand
09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
We should give some starters a rest, but we shouldn't tank games completely. The Red Sox and Yanks are counting on us to beat Cleveland, and if we were in their situation we wouldn't want them to tank games.

Iguana775
09-29-2005, 02:40 PM
No. The last thing we need it so to have the Sox regulars get out of rhymthm

lpneck
09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
El Duque should not start any of the games this weekend... he needs an opportunity to come out of the bullpen, since that is what he is doing in the playoffs.

I agree with pitching Buehrle and Garland five innings on Friday and Saturday, but I would bring El Duque in probably on Friday night in the 6th.

This is totally out of left field, but I don't completely hate the thought of him closing if Hermanson can't go. My confidence in Jenks in huge pressure packed situations is very shaky right now... I do not want to see him throwing a 99 mph fastball with no movement over the middle of the plate to Sheffield or to Aaron Boone in the ninth inning of a one-run ALCS game.

I would let McCarthy pitch as long as he is effective on Sunday. He needs the experience and we need to utilize him in the playoffs if ANY of our starters gets off to a slow start (that means you, Freddy G.)

That sets up the playoff rotation to be:
Tuesday- Contreras (5 days rest)
Wednesday- Buehrle (4 days rest)
Friday- Garcia (7 days rest)
Saturday- Garland (6 days rest)
Sunday- Contreras (4 days rest)

I would switch Garland and Garcia if Friday were a night game and a Saturday a day game for some reason, but I think it is more likely to be the other way around.

The one starter who we should NOT be giving time off to is Everett. He has 4 hits in the last two game... the last thing we need to do is sit him if he is breaking out of his funk. I would give AJ and Pods the entire series off if they need it.

Finally, if we are in a situation where we need to win a game to clinch home field in the ALCS, I think we need to do it and play everyone. I don't want to play game 7 in Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park because we laid down the last 3 games of the season.

soxrme
09-29-2005, 03:20 PM
I would say shutdown Rowand but he seems to have done it himself.:angry:

24thStFan
09-29-2005, 03:45 PM
No, beat the Indians. We want the best record in the AL. And, more importantly, we want to show the Tribe who's boss.

Harry Chappas
09-29-2005, 03:49 PM
I would give the pitchers a rest, but the position players need to stay sharp. Some of them are just starting to knock the rust off. I'd hate to cool them off again, particularly Crede and Crazy Carl.

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 04:02 PM
No, beat the Indians. We want the best record in the AL. And, more importantly, we want to show the Tribe who's boss.

I don't think they'd take much satisfaction in beating gload, timo, perez, willie, borchard, anderson, etc.

I think ozz will play the starters for about 4 innings in 2 of the three games, especially considering how little time they've had off in the last month.

spiffie
09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
KW just implied on MJ&H that they would not be letting up against the Toons this weekend.

jdm2662
09-29-2005, 04:31 PM
I'd give maybe one or two guys a day off, but that's about it. If home field is wrapped up by the last game, then you would pull the starters late in the game. I also would be ok pulling one of the starters early and let the Duke finish. He needs some work.