PDA

View Full Version : Padres = NL West champs

CHISOXFAN13
09-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Three down...three to go.

Congrats to the Padres, who despite a .500 record clinched the NL West with a 9-1 win against San Fran moments ago.

WE'RE NEXT!!!

:supernana:

Chips
09-29-2005, 01:15 AM
What a pathetic team. It pisses me off that we had to lose a game to them.

TheOldRoman
09-29-2005, 01:24 AM
What a pathetic team. It pisses me off that we had to lose a game to them.
Yep, that was the only save Hermanson blew when he was healthy. He has had a few since the back flared up. In our defense, at that time people were calling it a "possible world series preview". The Padres had one of the best records in baseball at that point. What the heck happened?

Chips
09-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Yep, that was the only save Hermanson blew when he was healthy. He has had a few since the back flared up. In our defense, at that time people were calling it a "possible world series preview". The Padres had one of the best records in baseball at that point. What the heck happened?

I think they lost about 5 or 6 games in a row, then did it again a week later and teetered around .500 for the rest of the season. That game sucked, we were up 1-0 if I recall, Buehrle came out after the eighth and Hermanson blew it, he was bound to do it eventually. Oh well, no harm done now.

FarWestChicago
09-29-2005, 01:52 AM
I'll be bummed if the pathetic Pads finish at .500 or better. They really need to have a losing record. It's only fitting.

santo=dorf
09-29-2005, 02:01 AM
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/197/3104/640/frikicomics.jpg

"WORST. DIVISION. EVER!!!"

Mr. White Sox
09-29-2005, 02:03 AM
http://www.superflypresents.com/thebuzz/jan05/images/critic_anchorman.jpg
"You do know, of course, what San Diahgo means, yes?"

The Dude
09-29-2005, 02:32 AM
If I were a padres fan/teammate I would have a tough time allowing myself a celebration. They suck as much as the Cubs/Twins and those are not playoff teams. Padres better get swept, otherwise there is a strong allegiance against such dog **** divisions.

Foulke You
09-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that the Padres are going to sneak out of the 1st round? It just seems inevitable that they will win the first series, since so much has been made of their horrible division (and it is indeed awful, I think the Sox would have clinched on August 10th or something:cool: ).

Another thing to consider, their likely 1st round opponent could be the perennial first round chokers, the Atlanta Braves. If the Pads get two solid outings from Peavy, I smell an upset.

EDIT: I just realized that the Cards won't be able to play the Stros if they end up hanging on to the wild card so it is probably unlikely SD beats the Cards. I thought they had a chance against the Braves but probably not St Louis.

MUsoxfan
09-29-2005, 02:58 AM
If I were a padres fan/teammate I would have a tough time allowing myself a celebration.

So if the Sox were 80-82 and won the AL Central you wouldn't celebrate? *****

Konerkoholic
09-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Man, there should be a rule where you must be over .500 to make the playoffs. It's not fair to Philadelphia and Houston, who have played such great ball the last two months (Phillies coming back late numerous times to win ballgames). And if I had it my way, you'd have to be 10 games over.

Uncle_Patrick
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
If I were a padres fan/teammate I would have a tough time allowing myself a celebration. They suck as much as the Cubs/Twins and those are not playoff teams. Padres better get swept, otherwise there is a strong allegiance against such dog **** divisions.

I think if I were a Padres fan, I would have to laugh at the irony of having a crappy year and yet still making the playoffs, not to mention enjoying the anger of fans of other teams who are mad that my crappy team made they playoffs while theirs didn't.

tstrike2000
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
In the age where there's 3 divisions in each league and a wild card, it's unfortunately inevitable that a team will get into the playoffs with barely a .500 record. It happens in football with the wild card where there's a crappy division and an 8-8 or 9-7 team makes it or in hockey where with so many playoff spots, many teams below .500 make it. In the playoffs however, few of those types of teams make it very far. On the flipside, I do like the fact it does give those cities something to cheer for after the regular season.

Unregistered
09-29-2005, 11:24 AM
I'll be bummed if the pathetic Pads finish at .500 or better. They really need to have a losing record. It's only fitting.
Yeah, I have my fingers crossed for them losing for the rest of the season. It would a testament to how ****ty the NL West is to have a playoff team with a losing record. Kinda reminds me of the NHL playoffs.

Johnny Mostil
09-29-2005, 11:30 AM
In the age where there's 3 divisions in each league and a wild card, it's unfortunately inevitable that a team will get into the playoffs with barely a .500 record. It happens in football with the wild card where there's a crappy division and an 8-8 or 9-7 team makes it or in hockey where with so many playoff spots, many teams below .500 make it. In the playoffs however, few of those types of teams make it very far. On the flipside, I do like the fact it does give those cities something to cheer for after the regular season.

It happened with two divisions, too. See '84 Royals, 84 wins, and '73 Mets, 82 wins. And the Mets had a 3-2 lead in the World Series.

The Dude
09-29-2005, 11:34 AM

I'd celebrate but probably quietly, & would have a tough time with that knowing how bad my division and team was throughout the season.

It's an embarrasment that such a team gets into the postseason.

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 03:26 PM
My first instinct was them being the tallest midget, but this isn't the case, as everyone starts the playoffs with the same record, and you never know with this crazy game.

I'm sure many of the left out teams in other divisions are very disgruntled about it though

ChiSoxRowand
09-29-2005, 04:43 PM

Well put. I would rather finish at .500 and win the division than win 95 games and miss the playoffs. Also, kudos to Bruce Bochy for letting Hoffman pitch the 9th even though it was 9-1.

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Also, the NL playoffs are basically set

Cardinals (Central) vs Padres (West)
Braves (East) vs Astros (WC)

Railsplitter
09-30-2005, 10:38 AM
The Padres didn't win thier division, the other teams lost it.