PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Indians series this weekend...

heythweath
09-28-2005, 11:37 PM
If the Sox clinch the division tommorow vs. Detroit (+ a Cleveland loss) or Friday vs. Cleveland, then there are TWO games left in the season. You might think they are just meaningless games for the Sox after they clinch, but really, these 2 games might determine their first round opponent. If the Sox lose the last 2 games to Cleveland on purpose (or put the "B" team on the field), then Cle will likely win the Wild Card (Boston being eliminated), meaning the Sox will play Anaheim in the first round. If the Sox sweep Cleveland, then it probably means Boston will win the WC, who would then be the Sox' first round opponent.

And judging from the poll taken, it looks like most people here want to play Anaheim in the first round. Maybe after we clinch it, we'll let Cleveland win. Just a thought. :tongue:

JB98
09-28-2005, 11:38 PM
If the Sox clinch the division tommorow vs. Detroit (+ a Cleveland loss) or Friday vs. Cleveland, then there are TWO games left in the season. You might think they are just meaningless games for the Sox after they clinch, but really, these 2 games might determine their first round opponent. If the Sox lose the last 2 games to Cleveland on purpose (or put the "B" team on the field), then Cle will likely win the Wild Card (Boston being eliminated), meaning the Sox will play Anaheim in the first round. If the Sox sweep Cleveland, then it probably means Boston will win the WC, who would then be the Sox' first round opponent.

And judging from the poll taken, it looks like most people here want to play Anaheim in the first round. Maybe after we clinch it, we'll let Cleveland win. Just a thought. :tongue:

No. I hate the Indians. I say let's knock them out of the playoffs entirely.

elrod
09-28-2005, 11:39 PM
No way. I'd rather face Boston than Anaheim. The Angels are the hottest team down the stretch. Boston has no pitching.

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2005, 11:42 PM
No way. I'd rather face Boston than Anaheim. The Angels are the hottest team down the stretch. Boston has no pitching.

Well, Clement is a decent pitcher, and Arroyo can get it done. I think our hitters can do enough against Schilling tho. I want Boston first.

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Definitely rather play Bawston than Anahiem. **** them damn toons. We finished second fiddle to them for the better half of 1990's. Knock their sorry asses out of the playoffs.

:notoons:indianslose :wh1tesox00

gobears1987
09-28-2005, 11:44 PM
Clement is decent? ERAs of 5 won't get it done in the playoffs. What's worse is he is their ace. We will kill Boston.

Flight #24
09-28-2005, 11:46 PM

Check the other thread, the Sox will clinch the division title with a win tomorrow.

That's because they'll have 96 wins. If they get swept by Cleveland, the 2 teams would be tied with 96. It's impossible at this point for BOTH AL East teams to get 96, so the Sox will either win the division outright, or tie with Cleveland. If they tie with Cleveland, it will mean that both teams will clinch a playoff spot, in which case they won't have a playoff and the division will be awarded on the tiebreaker to the Sox.

heythweath
09-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Oh, I thought that the Sox will just win a PLAYOFF BERTH with a win (not the division)...maybe I'm wrong.

Chips
Well, Clement is a decent pitcher, and Arroyo can get it done. I think our hitters can do enough against Schilling tho. I want Boston first.

Are you just saying that because your fiance is a Red Flubs fan?

antitwins13
Definitely rather play Bawston than Anahiem. **** them damn toons. We finished second fiddle to them for the better half of 1990's. Knock their sorry asses out of the playoffs.

:notoons:indianslose :wh1tesox00

Play to win!!!! Tribe Sucks

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Oh, I thought that the Sox will just win a PLAYOFF BERTH with a win (not the division)...maybe I'm wrong.

Yep, a win means the division, I thought it was a berth as well, but I was also wrong. We are 2005 Central Division Champs.

Banix12
09-29-2005, 12:14 AM
I don't think you'll see the entire B-team out there until probably the last day of the season but certainly if the sox clinch tomorrow I expect Ozzie to give a few of the players a few days rest, especially those with nagging injuries.

I would probably expect to see in game one Gload at 1st with PK taking the DH role. Podsednik moves into Center to give a day off to Rowand and Borchard or Anderson takes a shot in Left. I also bet you probably see Willie instead of Iguchi for one of the first two games.

Certainly though the last day I expect to see this lineup
SS Ozuna
LF Timo
1b Gload
RF Borchard
CF Anderson
DH Any regular who feels like playing
3b Blum
C Casanova
2b Harris

Starting Pitcher El Duque or McCarthy or maybe even just some last minute callup. Also a lot of time of Bajanaru and Sanders.

On another note, I don't see the Red Sox beating the Blue Jays tomorrow. Clement just hasn't had it in the second half. I see a repeat of tonight except maybe the Red Sox score a few more runs to make it close.

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 10:28 AM
IMO, I dont' want to see anaheim in the first round... nor the indians in the playoffs at all.

Playing hard the last four games could insure that to happen.

Of course, the other hand is extra rest for an emotionally taxed team.

Ol' No. 2
09-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Clement is decent? ERAs of 5 won't get it done in the playoffs. What's worse is he is their ace. We will kill Boston.Clement is done. Check his game logs. He relies on getting strikeouts and needs to K at least 6-7 batters. Early in the season he was doing that, but he hasn't struck out more than 6 since before the break and only managed 6 once. He's won 3 games since the break and all were games in which the Red Sox offense scored a ton of runs for him. Same old Clement. Good first half, not much in the second half.