PDA

View Full Version : Does this game assure...?

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Contreras of starting Game 1?

I think so! He doesn't have another spot in the rotation, allowing him to be the most rested guy they could throw out there. In addition, he's won his last eight decisions in dominating form and has flat-out carried this pitching staff on his back since the All Star break! He's got that rhythm that we need to anchor a series!

Way to go Contreras!!! Keep it up, and hopefully Sox fans are given a reason to celebrate in your name!!! :bandance:

doublem23
09-28-2005, 11:02 PM
I would think so, especially since, if we just kept the order we are in right now, Jose's next start would be Game #163.

Jose in Game 1
Mark in Game 2
Freddy in Game 3 (on the road)
Jon/Brandon in Game 4

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:03 PM
I see no reason why not to start him. Mark and Jon have been on and off, although they both had quality starts their last few outings. But Jose will be on 5 days rest and he is on fire.

OEO Magglio
09-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Jose should be the number 1 starter in the playoffs, period.

mike squires
09-28-2005, 11:12 PM

I think so! He doesn't have another spot in the rotation, allowing him to be the most rested guy they could throw out there. In addition, he's won his last eight decisions in dominating form and has flat-out carried this pitching staff on his back since the All Star break! He's got that rhythm that we need to anchor a series!

Way to go Contreras!!! Keep it up, and hopefully Sox fans are given a reason to celebrate in your name!!! :bandance:

Ii like it. He deserves it. I hate to bring it up and I'm usually a positive guy...but the only bad thing I can see is that he's due for a bad outing...:o:

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2005, 11:13 PM
but the only bad thing I can see is that he's due for a bad outing...:o:

You and Chips have something in common...Dark clowwwwwds!!! :cool:

Flight #24
09-28-2005, 11:14 PM

He'll start game 1, or in a worst case scenario, he'll start the 1-game playoff for the WC. I don't see that happening as the boys should be able to take care of business tomorrow, but it's possible.

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:16 PM
You and Chips have something in common...Dark clowwwwwds!!! :cool:

:tealpolice:

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2005, 11:16 PM
:tealpolice:

Nope!!! :D:

FielderJones
09-28-2005, 11:18 PM
He'll start game 1, or in a worst case scenario, he'll start the 1-game playoff for the WC. I don't see that happening as the boys should be able to take care of business tomorrow, but it's possible.

No, worst case scenario is that he'll start Sunday on short rest if the Sox need that game to clinch.

So let's take care of business tomorrow, let the Jndjans know that they're playing for the wild card, and have Jose lined up for game 1 of the ALDS.

elrod
09-28-2005, 11:22 PM
He'll start Game One unless the Sox lose four in a row, the Indians win tomorrow, the Yankees win tomorrow and the Red Sox win tomorrow and then take two of three from the Yankees. In that case Contreras would start a one-game playoff against either the Yankees or Red Sox for the Wild Card. In other words, yeah, Contreras should get the nod for Game One.

Flight #24
09-28-2005, 11:30 PM
No, worst case scenario is that he'll start Sunday on short rest if the Sox need that game to clinch.

So let's take care of business tomorrow, let the Jndjans know that they're playing for the wild card, and have Jose lined up for game 1 of the ALDS.

Sox have already clinched a 1-game playoff for the WC. So the decision would be to start him @ CLE or in the 1-game playoff on Monday.

But unlikely. I think this ends tomorrow with a win over DET and a division title being clinched then and there.

Banix12
09-29-2005, 12:16 AM
I think so, pitching Game one pretty much sets him up to go on near regular rest. I think just a day or so over.

IronFisk
09-29-2005, 01:03 AM
How bout just a THREE man rotation in the playoffs? There are some off days, so why not?

Jose, Mark & Freddie. Use Brandon, Garland and maybe El Duque for relief.

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-29-2005, 07:10 AM
There's no question Count should be starting the first game of the playoffs. He has gotten it done every time lately and he needs to win that first game to get us on track going into the playoffs.

bigdommer
09-29-2005, 07:28 AM

Actually, I think worst case scenario (besides not making it) is Jose pitching on Sunday on short rest (Oz already said he would), and then Freddy pitching Monday in a playoff on short rest. Then Mark and JG would be pitching on short rest and so on.

That's why last night and today/Friday are so important. If we can clinch today or tomorrow (or Saturday I guess) the rotation sets up like this:

Jose (hot, with one day of extra rest)
Mark (at home where he pitches well, on regular rest)
Freddy (on the road, with extra rest)
JG (on extra rest)

This would allow Ozzie to pitch BMac for about 5 innings on Sunday, and he could rest his bullpen while letting guys like Vizcaino and El Duque get some needed innings.

Hitmen77
09-29-2005, 07:58 AM
Too bad Kenny Williams couldn't finalize a trade that would have sent Jose to the Marlins for AJ Burnett.

34 Inch Stick
09-29-2005, 10:32 AM
The only alteration I would make in the playoff rotation is to ensure Garcia getting a day game away start. I know relation does not necessarily mean corelation but his numbers in those situations are just too overwhelming to pass up. I think that would mean Garcia would pitch in Game 4.

Ol' No. 2
09-29-2005, 10:41 AM
How bout just a THREE man rotation in the playoffs? There are some off days, so why not?

Jose, Mark & Freddie. Use Brandon, Garland and maybe El Duque for relief.The history of teams doing that in the playoffs is pretty grim.