PDA

View Full Version : Jose Contreras = Sox 2nd half MVP!

The Dude
09-28-2005, 10:32 PM
This man has bailed us out of losing streak after losing streak with a solid effort every outing! In my opinion no one else deserves this more than Jose.
Who's with me??

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Absolutely.:gulp::cheers:

Evman5
09-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Absolutely.:gulp::cheers:

Look at the sig....who else!!!!

Sox of White
09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Word to that. I believe that is 8 in a row now for him. Many strikouts in that period and few walks. And, his first career complete game. Way to shut those unbelieving chumps up Jose.

Chips
09-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Jose is a stud, he stopped walking batters left and right, settled down, threw strikes and keeps winning games. 15-7. 11-2 in the second half with 8 straight wins.

fquaye149
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
a solid case could be made for Paulie, but I definitely have to give Contreras the nod. He became our stopper this half. And stop he did

slavko
09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm not in the slightest bit upset that the guy we traded for him is having a nice year for the Nats. Good for Esteban, better for Jose.

soxfan26
09-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Jose is a stud, he stopped walking batters left and right, settled down, threw strikes and keeps winning games. 15-7. 11-2 in the second half with 8 straight wins.

Does he still have the most wins for an AL pitcher since the break?

DrCrawdad
09-28-2005, 10:50 PM
This man has bailed us out of losing streak after losing streak with a solid effort every outing! In my opinion no one else deserves this more than Jose.
Who's with me??

I'm with you, as is every voter at this point. I don't know that there is any question about it. Konerko has been very good, at times. But the man who's been consistently great is Jose Contreras.

And Kenny Williams, you've been mocked by the media, Cub fans and Sox fans alike about a few of your trades. But the Contreras for Loaiza has turned out very well for the Sox, even though Loaiza has had a good year for the Nationals.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-28-2005, 11:02 PM
Konerko.

Contreras and others have also been key. Without Konerko I would not even want to think of what our offense is or how many games we lost.

Not a vote against Contreras however - he has been a Godsend!!!

Tragg
09-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Man, if we had only traded Jose and MCarthy for Burnett.

(couldn't resist, as I spent 1/2 of July wailing against that proposed trade).

mike squires
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Sure hope they gave Contreras a beer shower. He deserved it.

sox1970
09-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Jose Contreras is by far the MVP of the White Sox season, much less the 2nd half. Here are the stats from games 82-158 (the second half):

Buehrle 6-6 team record 7-8
Garcia 5-5 team record 7-9
Garland 4-7 team record 6-9
El Duque 2-7 team record 4-7
McCarthy 2-1 team record 2-2

and Jose Contreras? 11-2 team record 14-2

The other pitchers combined in the second half are 19-26 and the team record is 26-35. If he did just as bad as them, we'd be very unhappy right now. Can this guy do this six more times in the postseason? If he does, where does the parade route begin?

soxfan26
09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Does he still have the most wins for an AL pitcher since the break?

Actually he now has the most wins since the break in all of MLB! :bandance: Tonight's win gives Jose a 12-2 record since the break, Andy Pettitte leads the NL with 11 wins.

PAPChiSox729
09-28-2005, 11:36 PM
It definitely has to be Contreras. He has come up huge for this team so many times. He has had an amazing 2nd half. All I can say is that I hope it carries into the playoffs.

:)

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 12:05 AM
:contreras:

Your ALDS Game 1 starter!

Chips
09-29-2005, 12:10 AM
:contreras:

Your ALDS Game 1 starter!

How about 2005 AL Cy Young winner?

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 12:11 AM
How about 2005 AL Cy Young winner?

I don't think so. There are others more deserving...Colon from California...Buehrle and Garland are more deserving here. You can't be a one-half pitcher and expect to win the Cy Young award.

Optipessimism
09-29-2005, 12:21 AM
I'm watching the ESPN broadcast of the Angels @ A's and Morgan and some butthole are discussing the AL MVP. The ONLY two names they throw out there? ARod and Ortiz (big surprise, right)?

Now I know that Contreras doesn't have a hooker's chance in heaven of getting the AL MVP, but IMO he is JUST as deserving as these other two. Here's why:

The Yanks and Boston have TERRIBLE pitching and a ton of offense. If you take ARod out of NY's lineup and Ortiz out of Boston's lineup they obviously suck more, but IMO STILL have a ton of thunder and enough OBP to get by in that division.

OTOH, Jose has single-handedly bailed us the **** out and stopped the presses on 'The Greatest Choke in Major League History.' Jose has carried this team on his back for the entire second half, and IMO that is far greater an accompishment than driving the score from 9-3 to 12-3 in a win.

Obviously the guy with the best offensive numbers is going to take it, but IMO you take out David Ortiz and ARod and the BoSox and Yanks are still right there next to each other on top of the AL East. You take Contreras out of the Sox staff and replace him with Neal Cotts/Jon Adkins/Sean Tracey/Arnie Munoz/Felix Diaz? This team doesn't even sniff the playoffs.

So, kudos to you Jose! There are those out there that know you deserve it.

chisoxfanatic
09-29-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm watching the ESPN broadcast of the Angels @ A's and Morgan and some butthole are discussing the AL MVP. The ONLY two names they throw out there? ARod and Ortiz (big surprise, right)?

Objectively, Ortiz deserves the AL MVP award. He is Mr. Clutch, and I can't think of anyone else who puts up the mass quantities of meaningful hits. I'd say that Papi/Manny is the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

Chips
09-29-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't think so. There are others more deserving...Colon from California...Buehrle and Garland are more deserving here. You can't be a one-half pitcher and expect to win the Cy Young award.

Buehrle and Garland were pretty much first half pitchers as well.

And I wasn't being entirely serious. maybe I should have posted it half in teal and half in pink. Obviously the Cy Young should go to Clement or Schilling or Rivera or Johnson or Sabathia, etc etc.

34 Inch Stick
09-29-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm with you, as is every voter at this point. I don't know that there is any question about it. Konerko has been very good, at times. But the man who's been consistently great is Jose Contreras.

And Kenny Williams, you've been mocked by the media, Cub fans and Sox fans alike about a few of your trades. But the Contreras for Loaiza has turned out very well for the Sox, even though Loaiza has had a good year for the Nationals.

The brilliance of KW on this trade is not so much the production. I would take either (or both) of these pitchers on my staff. The brilliance is that he received a good (with potential for great) starting pitcher who was locked in for 2 more years at an acceptable price for a rent a player situation.

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 12:59 PM
hey damaso? damaso?

See what happens when you challenge people instead of pitching around them?

balke
09-29-2005, 01:13 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, I'm in a rush. But I'll say this is why we are paying Contreras 6 million dollars. And why he's getting 9 million. The Sox organization have made some amazing pick-ups the past few years if you think of it. They find people who have the talent, then they've taught them how to use it. Or, they've found people with undeserved question marks, and let them prove everyone wrong. I hope Jose keeps it going through the playoffs. He's definitely a top 3 starter for the sox in a 5 game series. #1 still might go to Buehrle though. We will see.

ode to veeck
09-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Contreras has been doing a much better job of getting his wicked breaking stuff over the plate vs Damaso, who has been struggling to do so consistently

DaleJRFan
09-29-2005, 01:35 PM
I'm not in the slightest bit upset that the guy we traded for him is having a nice year for the Nats. Good for Esteban, better for Jose.

Loiaza has been very good for the Nats. If he got any run support, he'd be a Cy Young candidate.