PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Sox win the division, who do you want to win the AL Wild Card?

cheeses_h_rice
09-28-2005, 09:28 PM
If we win the division, who's your choice?

LuvSox
09-28-2005, 09:43 PM
The Injuns I guess. The thought of the Red Cubs winning it all last year and missing the playoffs all together this year is very humorous.

DSpivack
09-28-2005, 09:45 PM
surprised so many voted indians.

i hate red sox and yankees more than the indians, although paradoxically i think i'd least like to face the indians in the playoffs.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Tough choice. If the Yankees or Red Sox win the WC, that means TWO crappy pitching staffs to deal with. I'd take either one of them. I rate Anaheim and Cleveland as the two best of the potential playoff opponents.

Sox of White
09-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Jndjians, because we would not play them first round anyway. Plus, we have done pretty well against them this year, save that last home series against them. Hopefully, we'll see them in second round and make quick waste of them.

woo 501!

Sox of White
09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Plus, it would be great to see the east not have the wildcard, and maybe some people will start to respect the central.

cheeses_h_rice
09-28-2005, 09:48 PM
Tough choice. If the Yankees or Red Sox win the WC, that means TWO crappy pitching staffs to deal with. I'd take either one of them. I rate Anaheim and Cleveland as the two best of the potential playoff opponents.

I agree, but I think the outside factors when playing NYY or BOS overrule the on-the-field stuff.

1. The media. High intensity glare of the spotlight can induce Tight Sphincter Syndrome.

2. Experience. So many big game players on both teams -- Ortiz, Ramirez, Jeter, Randy, Rivera -- that I think the Sox would match up better against another no-name team like the Jndjans.

DSpivack
09-28-2005, 09:49 PM
as an extension of the thread's question, who would you rather see win the East?

minastirith67
09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Cleveland, because I selfishly want to see the Sox play in Anaheim...

Baby Fisk
09-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Baby Fisk's fantasy wet dream playoff scenario:

ALDS: destroy Boston

ALCS: destroy New York

WS: politely dismiss St. Louis

:bandance:

Chips
09-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I picked the Red Flubs because I think the Spanks will win the division and I think playing the Red Flubs will give us an evening game meaning I don't have to take off work to go. Plus I think we can beat easily with our starting staff. Their pitching flat out sucks.

eastchicagosoxfan
09-28-2005, 09:52 PM
I voted for the Indians. I can't stand the other two options. In addition, it just demonstrates that the Central was a tough division.

Chips
09-28-2005, 09:53 PM

WS: we can destroy St. Louis. I ****ing hate the cardinals.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I agree, but I think the outside factors when playing NYY or BOS overrule the on-the-field stuff.

1. The media. High intensity glare of the spotlight can induce Tight Sphincter Syndrome.

2. Experience. So many big game players on both teams -- Ortiz, Ramirez, Jeter, Randy, Rivera -- that I think the Sox would match up better against another no-name team like the Jndjans.All good reasons. But Anaheim seems to me the most likely to shut the Sox down in a short series, and that's who they'd draw in the ALDS if the Indians won the WC. I'd rather take my chances playing on the Least Coast. Besides, after they win the first two at home, they just need one more on the road.:smile:

DrCrawdad
09-28-2005, 09:56 PM
In my heart I'd like the Indians to win the WC, just to put the stick it to the media and Cubbie fans who always go on and on about how bad the AL Central is.

On the other hand, I want what's best for the Sox. I'm not too comfortable with the Sox facing the Angles. So perhaps it would be best for the Sox to face a WC opponent out of the East.

However, what do I know. I thought the Sox would do well against the Mariners in '00...

Bring on whomever! Sox just go and kick some (butt)!

Baby Fisk
09-28-2005, 09:56 PM
WS: we can destroy St. Louis. I ****ing hate the cardinals.
It's a Deal! :cheers:

DSpivack
09-28-2005, 09:58 PM
It's a Deal! :cheers:
I'd rather them destroy the Braves, for selfish reasons.

Tragg
09-28-2005, 10:05 PM
I vote redcubs.
I think they have the weakest pitching of the bunch.
Angels scare me.
Indians don't scare me, but we won't play them until round 3 anyway.
I'd rank it via preference to face:
Indians
Redcubs
Spanks
Angels

dcb33
09-28-2005, 10:06 PM

I don't give a **** who the Sox destroy in the WS, for selfish reasons.

I'm torn on who I want to win the WC. On the one hand, if Cleveland wins it would mean either the Red Sox or Yankees would miss out on the postseason, which would be a good thing. OTOH, if Boston or New York wins, it would give the Sox the opportunity to tee off on terrible pitching and it would likely mean that the Sox play in more prime time games, reducing the possibility of the Sox playing day games during the week while I'm at work.

A. Cavatica
09-28-2005, 10:08 PM
You know what? I honestly don't care.

1951Campbell
09-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Tough one. Yankee legacy? The hated Tribe? Knocking off the defending champs?

I'll go with knocking off the defending champs.

MUsoxfan
09-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Red Cubs scare me the least because of their substandard pitching

sox1970
09-28-2005, 10:42 PM
Can I change my pick. I said Indians, but I don't want to face the Angels in the first round. I guess Red Sox since their pitchiing sucks. But their bats scare the hell out of me.

fuzzy_patters
09-28-2005, 10:58 PM
I voted for the Yankmees. Their pitching sucks, and we played well against them this year. I think we would smoke them. :yankeessuck

TDog
09-28-2005, 10:58 PM
In 2000 I wanted the Mariners to win the wild card so the Sox could play a wild card team. Also, the Indians were on an incredible terror and I didn't want the Sox to have to face them in the ALCS.

I was wrong.

I was so wrong, I won't even offer an opinion on the 2005 question.

CanBuehrleWait
09-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Heres my best case scenario....

Injuns lose tommorrow Sox win 3 of the next 4 or sweep the Toons.

Yanks and Red Cubs win Tommorrow.....
Red Cubs take 2 of 3 from Skanks
Skanks and Red Cubs send their best pitchers to the bump (wakefield vs Randy?)
We get the loser without their best pitcher until game 4 and considering neither one is very deep well you know.:D:

chisoxfanatic
09-28-2005, 11:02 PM
It would be fun for a Sox/Red Sox series. I'm up for that!

peeonwrigley
09-28-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't want to see the Yankees b/c they have a stacked, prime-time lineup. They also have Flash and Rivera to close things out, which is better than what the BoSux have. Thus, I want the Toons to win the WC and the BoSox (as much as I hate them) to take the east.

Deuce
09-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Red Sucks are falling apart with bad pitching and infighting... I would love to take them out first. Lets do our best to not have to go to the West Coast...

doublem23
09-28-2005, 11:06 PM
The Red Sox are definitely the least scary of the potential play-off opponents. Why don't we just sweep Cleveland this weekend and then give them the longest World Series drought in the American League. :cool:

jabrch
09-29-2005, 12:13 AM

And Atlanta never even sells out for the playoffs/WS, so it would be fairly easy to get tickets.

kninchicago
09-29-2005, 09:29 AM
My vote's for either RS or Yanks. I don't want to play LAA in the first round as many of you have voiced before me. Plus then I don't have to take off of work:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: --any hours I take off for the game on Oct. 4 I have to make up:(: .

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 09:36 AM
as an extension of the thread's question, who would you rather see win the East?

The Yankees, because I'd love to see an ALCS between the Sox and Yanks. I know that my answer will be unpopular with the majority of Sox Fans.

Paulwny
09-29-2005, 09:41 AM
If the wild card happens to come from the east, I hope the entire Boston/NY series is a long drawn out affair, a slug fest, extra innings, starters having high pitch counts before 6 innings, both bull pens overworked and 2 exhausted teams entering the play-offs.

Goose
09-29-2005, 10:00 AM
If the wild card happens to come from the east, I hope the entire Boston/NY series is a long drawn out affair, a slug fest, extra innings, starters having high pitch counts before 6 innings, both bull pens overworked and 2 exhausted teams entering the play-offs.

Of course, it will be...we all know that this is the best rivalry in all of sports.

I couldn't care less who we play. Bring 'em on in order so we knock 'em right down!

A.T. Money
09-29-2005, 10:05 AM
Yankees.

I don't want to face anyone from the west in the first round.

tlebar318
09-29-2005, 10:09 AM

Devil Rays! :redneck

bigdommer
09-29-2005, 10:10 AM
I would like to see Boston for multiple reasons.

1)Their bullpen is terrible and Timlin is not good. I don't want to face Frankie or Rivera in the first round. If the Sox were tied or down in the ninth, and Timlin was on the bump, I will be ready for a "White Sox winner!"

2) Weak rotation. Our "pathetic" offense would have an easier time putting up runs against them.

3) The long plane ride to the west coast, aka house of horrors, scares me.

tlebar318
09-29-2005, 10:13 AM
I would like to see us play the Red Sox in the first round and have the Yankees watching at home with their $200 million payroll....Indians play the Angels and then we beat the Injuns, move on the the Big Dance and take out St. Louis...book it! Go Sox! :bandance:

SOX ADDICT '73
09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Devil Rays! :redneck
Are you nuts?! Haven't you seen what they've done to the best team in baseball the last two days? I want no part of Sweet Lou and the D-Rays.

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 10:21 AM
I believe there is a rule that if the WC comes out of one division, no matter what they do not play the Champion of that division in the first round. Hence, last year's ALCS. Therefore if the WC comes out of the east we will face the Angels.

hawkjt
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
The choice is obvious to me- REDFLUBS.

Their road record is 41-40. We get the first two at home.

They are pitching and hitting poorly right now.

I do not want the second best team,Angels, til second round.

Closing out the RS at Fenway would be so cool. I am envisioning that moment as one of the best in my baseball life.

SOX ADDICT '73
09-29-2005, 10:40 AM
I would like to see us play the Red Sox in the first round and have the Yankees watching at home with their $200 million payroll....Indians play the Angels and then we beat the Injuns, move on the the Big Dance and take out St. Louis...book it! Go Sox! :bandance:
You might be the first person in this thread who hasn't assumed that a Toons Wild Card automatically results in a first round Sox/Angels matchup. Isn't it still possible, with the Spankmees and BlowSox beating up on each other this weekend, that the Angels could end up the two-seed in the playoffs?

(Both scenarios assuming Indians are WC)

Angels win out = 95-67
NY & Boston both lose tonight, Red Cubs take 2 of 3 this weekend, winner of 1-game playoff = 95-68, Angels are 2-seed.

or

Angels win out = 95-67
NY loses, Boston wins tonight, Yanks take 2 of 3 this weekend = 95-67, Angels hold tie-breaker in head-to-head matchups (those count outside the division too, don't they?), Angels are 2-seed.

I know the possibility is remote, given that the Angels have clinched (and, let's be realistic, they'd probably rather play the White Sox than Cleveland anyway), and likely won't be busting hump this weekend to win all 4 remaining games. But stranger things have happened...

Fenway
09-29-2005, 10:45 AM
hopefully the Wild Card will be the Indians ( as Boston wins the division and knocks out NYY )

but

I think the WC will come from the east and will be us

A VERY GOOD CHANCE that Boston and NYY will end up tied and play again Monday night

if both win tonight NY enters the weekend with 1 game lead if Boston wins 2 of 3 at home we have a tie at Yankee Stadium

MarySwiss
09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
You know what? I honestly don't care.

No fair. You stole my post. :cool:

mdep524
09-29-2005, 10:51 AM
I picked the Red Flubs because I think the Spanks will win the division and I think playing the Red Flubs will give us an evening game meaning I don't have to take off work to go. Plus I think we can beat easily with our starting staff. Their pitching flat out sucks. Ha, for me it's the exact opposite. I work nights, so I wouldn't mind a day game because I will be home to watch/go to it. If we play the Red Sox/Yankees I'll have to take off work.

I voted Indians just because I can't stand either of the ESPN teams. However, if it as between the Yanks and Red Sox I would actually pick the Yankees. Yes, they are playing better ball of late, and yes the Red Sox pitching flat out sucks, but I think "Our Sox" (as Hawk would say) would be able to handle the Yankees easier.

Basically, Sox hitters aren't going to light up the opposition. They can scratch out runs against good pitching, and they're not going to score that much more against bad pitching than we are against good pitching. The Red Sox hitting, meanwhile, is so good that they're going to put up some runs even against great pitching like the Sox. The Yankees hitting is vulnerable, and we've shown we can hold them down.

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 10:59 AM
I think the WC will come from the east and will be us:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SoxFan64
09-29-2005, 12:36 PM

Isn't Round 3 the WS?

MasQbellesa
09-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Cleveland, because I selfishly want to see the Sox play in Anaheim...

Agree...i bought tickets to the series hoping the Sox show up in Anaheim.
GO SOX!!

whtsx1959
09-29-2005, 06:26 PM
I don't want two teams from the east. I don't want the Red Sox in the playoffs b/c their games are so long. It's akward to want the Indians to get the WC when the sox play them for the next three games.

Palehose13
09-29-2005, 06:32 PM
Agree...i bought tickets to the series hoping the Sox show up in Anaheim.
GO SOX!!

Ditto. It's gonna be weird to kinda want the Sox to only take 1 out of 3 this weekend.

grinderrule#1
09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
i say boston even though their hitting is ill their bull pen is terrible and thier starting pitching is tim wakefield? bronson arroyo? and schilling got beat by b mac earlyer this year

DenverSock
09-30-2005, 12:12 PM
Don't count out the Red Sox just yet, and I'd love to sweep the Indians this weekend. Besides, I want the Sox to finish with the best record in The American League just for pride's sake. Also I'd love to knoc the Commie Sox out of the playoffs.

Garland_IS_God
09-30-2005, 12:52 PM
The way the Indians have been playing the last 2 months they deserve the Wild Card. To be down 15 games and come within 1.5 games of the Central Division; there the most deserving.

Mickster
09-30-2005, 01:14 PM
I vote redcubs.
I think they have the weakest pitching of the bunch.
Angels scare me.
I'd rank it via preference to face:
Indians
Redcubs
Spanks
Angels

:?: :?: :?:

mjharrison72
09-30-2005, 01:30 PM

I couldn't agree more... there would be nothing sweeter and nothing more confidence-boosting than beating the reigning champs in the first round. Plus as others are pointing out, I like the pitching matchups. After Schilling and Johnson, not much to fear.