PDA

View Full Version : Magic Number Update

CallMeNuts
09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
There will be more White Sox baseball in October.

At minimum, we have clinched a tie for the Wild Card.
Magic number to clinch the Wild Card outright is 1.
And we will clinch the wild card out right with any one of the following:
One more White Sox win.
OR One more Yankee Loss.
OR One more Red Sox Loss.

The Magic Number to clinch the AL Central outright is now 2.
To clinch a tie, the number is 1.
Once we've clinched the Wild Card, a tie is all we need to win the Division, since the Sox & Indians would both go to the playoffs and the Sox would be the division winner based on head-to-head results.

To clinch the best record in the AL and home field throughout the post season, the Magic number is now 3. The Yankees are now in 2nd place.

With 4 games left for all of the above teams, its about time to climb in off the ledge. (It'll be too dangerous to jump for joy if you are still standing out there.)

Viva Medias B's
09-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Once we've clinched the Wild Card, a tie is all we need to win the Division, since the Sox & Indians would both go to the playoffs and the Sox would be the division winner based on head-to-head results.

Is that a certainty, meaning we would not have to play Cleveland in a playoff game if we tie them?

Daver
09-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Is that a certainty, meaning we would not have to play Cleveland in a playoff game if we tie them?

Cleveland has to win out to cause a tie in the division, the Sox win the tie due to head to head record, there will be no one game playoff for the division if the Sox win one more game.

Chips
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM

According to the MLB site, if we tie Cleveland for the division, we play a tiebreaker game at the Jake.

EDIT: I guess I am the dumbest person in America.

cheeses_h_rice
09-28-2005, 10:31 PM
According to the MLB site, if we tie Cleveland for the division, we play a tiebreaker game at the Jake.

That's only if both Boston and New York have better records than the Sox/Indians.

If the Sox/Indians have a better record than the AL East runner-up, the White Sox win the division, Cleveland gets the Wild Card.

doogiec
09-28-2005, 10:33 PM
They only play the tie breaker game if one of the two teams would not win the wild card. If both teams would be in the playoffs anyway, the White Sox win the division based on head to head play.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:33 PM
According to the MLB site, if we tie Cleveland for the division, we play a tiebreaker game at the Jake.Where's that "Not THIS again" tag?

The Dude
09-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Where's that "Not THIS again" tag?

Dont mind Chips, he's still trying to find a way that we might not make the playoffs. shhhh(He's a dark cloud:tongue:)

billyvsox
09-28-2005, 10:36 PM
By my math, if we win tommorrow afternoon, it is all over!!!

A win gives us 96 victories and the best scenerio for the ESPN teams (Bos/Nyy)
is 95 wins each (Bos 3-1) (Nyy 2-2).

Therefore a tie with Cleveland (at 96 wins) is all the Toons can accomplish, and we still win the division!!!!

Champagne is on ice for 12:30 - 1:00 pm Arizona time.

Beauty35thStreet
09-28-2005, 10:40 PM
:cheers:

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Where's that "Not THIS again" tag?I saved it for an occasion like this.
http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/588/nothisagainwsi9cr.jpg

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:47 PM
I saved it for an occasion like this.
http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/588/nothisagainwsi9cr.jpgBest. Tag. Ever.

Viva Medias B's
09-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Champagne is on ice for 12:30 - 1:00 pm Arizona time.

I've got my champagne in the wine cooler ready to go. Of course, work will prevent me from tasting the bubbly until after 8:00 p.m.

doogiec
09-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Dont mind Chips, he's still trying to find a way that we might not make the playoffs. shhhh(He's a dark cloud:tongue:)

I'll make it easy. I believe the following two scenarios are the only two possible where the Sox don't make the playoffs:

Scenario 1
Cleveland wins all four of their remaining games.
White Sox lose all four of their remaining games.
Boston beats TB, then wins 2 of 3 from NY.
NY beats Baltimore, then wins 1 of 3 from Boston.
Cleveland would win the Central at 96-66
NY and Boston would tie for the East at 95-67.
NY and Boston would play a tie breaker, with the loser playing the White Sox (also at 95-67). The White Sox would need to lose that game also, of course.

Scenario 2
Same as one, but Cleveland loses to TB, but sweeps the Sox.
All four teams would be 95-67. The Sox would need to lose the tie breaker to Cleveland on Monday, then lose a wild card playoff to the NY/Bos loser on Tuesday.

Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something. And if any of the dark clouds would like to bet me on this happening, my check book is wide open!

mantis1212
09-28-2005, 10:55 PM
If the Sox win tomorrow, they will win the division and pop the champagne. It seems the rest of the world (or media) would think they're prematurely celebrating.

Wasn't someone looking for a way for the Trib to negatively spin this? I found a way!

Chips
09-28-2005, 10:57 PM
I'll make it easy. I believe the following two scenarios are the only two possible where the Sox don't make the playoffs:

Scenario 1
Cleveland wins all four of their remaining games.
White Sox lose all four of their remaining games.
Boston beats TB, then wins 2 of 3 from NY.
NY beats Baltimore, then wins 1 of 3 from Boston.
Cleveland would win the Central at 96-66
NY and Boston would tie for the East at 95-67.
NY and Boston would play a tie breaker, with the loser playing the White Sox (also at 95-67). The White Sox would need to lose that game also, of course.

Scenario 2
Same as one, but Cleveland loses to TB, but sweeps the Sox.
All four teams would be 95-67. The Sox would need to lose the tie breaker to Cleveland on Monday, then lose a wild card playoff to the NY/Bos loser on Tuesday.

Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something. And if any of the dark clouds would like to bet me on this happening, my check book is wide open!

That is not going to happen, I was misinformed, we are going to the playoffs as the Central Division Champs.