PDA

View Full Version : One win away...

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:11 PM
I'm sure someone will correct me if my math is off, but by my figgerin', the Sox need only one more win to clinch the division. With one more win, they'll have 96 and the best Cleveland can do is tie them if they win out. But if Cleveland wins 96 games, they'll win the WC, so the Sox would win the division by the tiebreaker.

:supernana:

dpbyron
09-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Somebody just pointed that out on the postgame show and that is correct!!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Kogs35
09-28-2005, 10:15 PM
nice!!!!!!! :supernana: :supernana:

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-28-2005, 10:19 PM
LOVE the math - but win tomorrow, let TB win, and SOLVE THIS, once and for all. Let's FINALLY take what's rightfully ours...the Central Division Title.

WhiteSox16K
09-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Technically yes, but what happens if...
Sox win tommorow 96 wins
Boston losses tonight, win out, 96 wins
Cleveland wins out, 96 wins
LA Angels win out, 96 wins...
I talked to my brother and he said, "this was the reason the Sox don't clinch the division with a win tommorow". What are all of your thoughts??

Jerko
09-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Noon game tomorrow too, so we'll know nice and early........

MushMouth
09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Sox win tommorow 96 wins
I talked to my brother and he said, "this was the reason the Sox don't clinch the division with a win tommorow". What are all of your thoughts??

Boston would be the AL East champs if they win out and not fighting for a WC, neither will the Angels, who have already clinched. If the above scenario happened, we'd win the Central, Boston the East, and Cleveland the WC. Angels the West.

Tragg
09-28-2005, 10:25 PM
We clinched playing after Sunday. We clinched a tie tonight.

One more win and we're in.

mantis1212
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Sox win tommorow 96 wins

LA Angels are out of the equation, they've won the west.

If Boston wins out, that means they've swept the Yankees, which would mean they win the East and the Yankees only have 94 victories (since they were just swept by Boston)

It can be clinched tomorrow!!!!

WhiteSox16K
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Boston would be the AL East champs if they win out and not fighting for a WC, neither will the Angels, who have already clinched. If the above scenario happened, we'd win the Central, Boston the East, and Cleveland the WC. Angels the West.

Home field advantage anyone?

MushMouth
09-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Home field advantage anyone?

Good question...

I'm sure MLB has something in place for a 4-way tie. Perhaps a cumulative head-to-head record. We'd still be AL Central champs tho.

dpbyron
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Sox win tommorow 96 wins

First of all forget the Angels.

Secondly, Sox hold the tiebreaker for the division if both teams qualify for the playoffs

If the Sox win tomorrow that means 96 wins....

Cleveland loses tomorrow game, set, match... But if they win then and sweep the Sox they would have 96 wins same as Sox.

If both the Yankess and Red Sox win tomorrow...

Yankees Sweep

Yankees 97
Sox 96
Indians 96
Red Sox 93 ELIMINATED

Yankees 2 out 3

Yankees 96
Sox 96
Indians 96
Red Sox 94 ELIMINATED

Red Sox Sweep

Sox 96
Indians 96
Red Sox 96
Yankees 94 ELIMINATED

Red Sox 2 out 3

Sox 96
Indians 96
Yankees 95 One game playoff
Red Sox 95 One game playoff

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Sox win tommorow 96 wins
I talked to my brother and he said, "this was the reason the Sox don't clinch the division with a win tommorow". What are all of your thoughts??Sox win the tie-breaker with Cleveland IF they're tied with Cleveland and Cleveland would win the WC outright. The WC goes to the best SECOND PLACE team, and there's no way any other second place team can get 96 wins.

bendavisforpres
09-28-2005, 10:32 PM
why hasnt anyone outside this post realized that we clinch tom. all i hear is that if we win tommorow we clinch the wild card
GO SOX- Win and dont die trying

Beauty35thStreet
09-28-2005, 10:34 PM
:supernana: :supernana: :dtroll: :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:34 PM
why hasnt anyone outside this post realized that we clinch tom. all i hear is that if we win tommorow we clinch the wild card
GO SOX- Win and dont die tryingBeats me. There are still people insisting that there would be a playoff game if the Sox and Indians are tied.:?:

DSpivack
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Beats me. There are still people insisting that there would be a playoff game if the Sox and Indians are tied.:?:

So why isn't the magic number 1?

WhiteSox16K
09-28-2005, 10:37 PM
To clarify my position, I've done all the math on all of the situations, but this one got me thinking about home field advantage. I know about the tiebreaker and head-to-head situations. I just couldn't think what the formula/tiebreaker would be for who's home and who's away other then knowing we win the central and can't play Cleveland. I REALLY DOUBT this would happen, meaning we do clinch the Central with a win tomorrow and we COULD presumably clinch home field advantage too, but it just got me thinking.

A. Cavatica
09-28-2005, 10:38 PM
What would you have said before the season, if I told you the Sox could win the Central by beating Jason Grilli?

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:38 PM
So why isn't the magic number 1?The magic number doesn't account for ties. But all he Sox have to do is tie the Tribe as long as they win the WC.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
What would you have said before the season, if I told you the Sox could win the Central by beating Jason Grilli?:supernana:

DSpivack
09-28-2005, 10:43 PM
The magic number doesn't account for ties. But all he Sox have to do is tie the Tribe as long as they win the WC.

thanks.
makes sense.

just win, baby.

dpbyron
09-28-2005, 10:53 PM
This is confirmed per WGN News... :bandance:

mantis1212
09-28-2005, 10:57 PM
This is confirmed per WGN News... :bandance:

Fox just said it also- it will be well known by tomorrow morning, and definitely by noon central time!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Corlose 15
09-28-2005, 11:08 PM
So if the Sox win tommorrow can they celebrate on the field?

mike squires
09-28-2005, 11:13 PM
So if the Sox win tommorrow can they celebrate on the field?

You took the words right out of my mouth? So...do we celebrate on the field with a win???

elrod
09-28-2005, 11:18 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth? So...do we celebrate on the field with a win???

Yes.

Frankfan4life
09-28-2005, 11:18 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth? So...do we celebrate on the field with a win???Didn't something like this happen to the Cards this year? I recall they wouldn't celebrate the division championship until they had won it outright. The Sox might have a similar dilemma. Should the Sox celebrate knowing they might only have a tie for the division (winning it based on the tie-breaker) or do they wait until they win the division outright first?

BeviBall!
09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Didn't something like this happen to the Cards this year? I recall they wouldn't celebrate the division championship until they had won it outright. The Sox might have a similar dilemma. Should the Sox celebrate knowing they might only have a tie for the division (winning it based on the tie-breaker) or do they wait until they win the division outright first?

Yes... I believe it was the same thing. They had clinched unoffically, which is what we would do tomorrow if we win.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Didn't something like this happen to the Cards this year? I recall they wouldn't celebrate the division championship until they had won it outright. The Sox might have a similar dilemma. Should the Sox celebrate knowing they might only have a tie for the division (winning it based on the tie-breaker) or do they wait until they win the division outright first?If it was my call I'd wait. They're going to win at least one in Cleveland. Besides, whose noses would you rather rub in it?

TheOldRoman
09-28-2005, 11:20 PM
I just hope they pop the champagne tomorrow and celebrate after the game. It would be so cheap if the Sox celebrated in an airplane or in a bar somewhere. I want to see Crazy Carl running around drenching people with bubbly! I want to see the division champ t-shirts tomorrow!

BeviBall!
09-28-2005, 11:21 PM
I just hope they pop the champagne tomorrow and celebrate after the game. It would be so cheap if the Sox celebrated in an airplane or in a bar somewhere. I want to see Crazy Carl running around drenching people with bubbly! I want to see the division champ t-shirts tomorrow!

I want to see 5 runs for us before Grilli knows what hit him. Man, why are we playing a noon game this late in the season? Curse you MLB.

dpbyron
09-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Didn't something like this happen to the Cards this year? I recall they wouldn't celebrate the division championship until they had won it outright. The Sox might have a similar dilemma. Should the Sox celebrate knowing they might only have a tie for the division (winning it based on the tie-breaker) or do they wait until they win the division outright first?

Celebrate on the field tomorrow with a win! We earned the tiebreaker by kicking the Indians behinds in the season series.

Oh, and the Cards could afford to wait because they had a huge lead.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
If it was my call I'd wait. They're going to win at least one in Cleveland. Besides, whose noses would you rather rub in it?
Well, I personally would rather do it tomorrow afternoon because I am taking the LSATs early on Saturday morning. I would love to celebrate, have a couple of beers, and still get enough sleep and studying on Friday night.

Our situation is a little different than the one the Cardinals had. If we win tomorrow, we unofficially clinch the division. However, if we win and the Indians lose, we OFFICIALLY clinch the division. It the Indians drop one, it wouldn't make sense for us to celebrate on the field Friday even though we won it the day before.

Frankfan4life
09-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Celebrate on the field tomorrow with a win! We earned the tiebreaker by kicking the Indians behinds in the season series.

Oh, and the Cards could afford to wait because they had a huge lead.I just hope they pop the champagne tomorrow and celebrate after the game. It would be so cheap if the Sox celebrated in an airplane or in a bar somewhere. I want to see Crazy Carl running around drenching people with bubbly! I want to see the division champ t-shirts tomorrow!I can't wait to see that celebration either and I can't wait to get my own 2005 AL Division champ t-shirt and cap. But whether they celebrate the division championship with a win tomorrow probably depends on Ozzie. I agree that because the Sox are in a much tighter race than the Cards were, Ozzie will probably let the guys loose if they win tomorrow. Has Ozzie said that's what they're going to do if this happens?

twinsuck1
09-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Where do you guys think I could pick up a 2005 central Division Champs t-shirt right way If they win tommorrow? Reason I ask Is becuase my family and I are leaving for Cedar Point amusement park In Sandusky Ohio Friday morning and I would love to rub it in all those Indain fans face down there. Please let me know, thanks guys! GO SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dpbyron
09-28-2005, 11:44 PM
I can't wait to see that celebration either and I can't wait to get my own 2005 AL Division champ t-shirt and cap. But whether they celebrate the division championship with a win tomorrow probably depends on Ozzie. I agree that because the Sox are in a much tighter race than the Cards were, Ozzie will probably let the guys loose if they win tomorrow. Has Ozzie said that's what they're going to do if this happens?

Based on the post game interviews, they all said Kenny and Rick Haun said they clinch with a win. It sounded to me like they are gonna celebrate and why not!!!! :bandance:

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, I personally would rather do it tomorrow afternoon because I am taking the LSATs early on Saturday morning. I would love to celebrate, have a couple of beers, and still get enough sleep and studying on Friday night.

Our situation is a little different than the one the Cardinals had. If we win tomorrow, we unofficially clinch the division. However, if we win and the Indians lose, we OFFICIALLY clinch the division. It the Indians drop one, it wouldn't make sense for us to celebrate on the field Friday even though we won it the day before.Now that I think about it, if they win and the Indians lose tomorrow, they would miss the chance to celebrate on the field. That would suck. I guess I'd celebrate tomorrow if they get the chance.

TDog
09-28-2005, 11:48 PM
Well, I personally would rather do it tomorrow afternoon because I am taking the LSATs early on Saturday morning. ...

Which reminds me of a weird personal symmetry marking this baseball season. I begin the season with involvement in a murder trial. For the second time this year, I am involved with a murder trial as the season ends. I don't expect a verdict before the postseason begins. The victim in the current case had Thomas as a last name. He was killed in 2000.

I didn't assume Sox wins Monday and Tuesday, just as I didn't assume Cleveland would sweep the Devil Rays. I haven't yet counted the Thursday Sox game as a win. The Sox have to win. Even if they apparently don't need to win much more to get to the postseason, the Sox won't be able to go far if they are in the habit of winning only once in a while.

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:49 PM
If it was my call I'd wait. They're going to win at least one in Cleveland. Besides, whose noses would you rather rub in it?

I'd rather rub in Cleveland's nose.
I'd also like to celebrate in front of Magglio, then we can do it again in Cleveland.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Now that I think about it, if they win and the Indians lose tomorrow, they would miss the chance to celebrate on the field. That would suck. I guess I'd celebrate tomorrow if they get the chance.
Yeah, now that I think about it, Im sure MLB will tell them to celebrate and bust out the division champs hats and shirts tomorrow should they win. If the situation goes down like I said, nobody sees the Sox soaking the shirts and hats in champagne, and the "official lockerroom" merchandise wouldn't get as much exposure. People would be just as likely to go to Walmart and get a division champs shirt for $10.

mike squires
09-28-2005, 11:50 PM
I can't wait to see that celebration either and I can't wait to get my own 2005 AL Division champ t-shirt and cap. But whether they celebrate the division championship with a win tomorrow probably depends on Ozzie. I agree that because the Sox are in a much tighter race than the Cards were, Ozzie will probably let the guys loose if they win tomorrow. Has Ozzie said that's what they're going to do if this happens?

I think I heard Ozzie was going to leave it up to the players in regards to celebrating...Personally I would love to celebrate tomorrow but I would hate to do so and then go in and get swept by Cleveland. That wouldn't look so good.

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:54 PM
I think I heard Ozzie was going to leave it up to the players in regards to celebrating...Personally I would love to celebrate tomorrow but I would hate to do so and then go in and get swept by Cleveland. That wouldn't look so good.

I don't think there is chance in hell that Cleveland will sweep us, let alone win 2 of 3 again. We are 11-5 against them, I believe 5-1 or 6-1 at the Jake. We are winning at least 2. Cleveland can grab some bench.

bringfrankback
09-28-2005, 11:55 PM
How does winning tomorrow clinch the division? They flipped a coin and if us and the tribe tie there is a one game playoff at Cleveland. Its not about best head to head record.

Flight #24
09-28-2005, 11:56 PM
Fox just said it also- it will be well known by tomorrow morning, and definitely by noon central time!!!:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

Not that you'll see it prominently displayed on the local sports pages.......

TheOldRoman
09-28-2005, 11:59 PM
How does winning tomorrow clinch the division? They flipped a coin and if us and the tribe tie there is a one game playoff at Cleveland. Its not about best head to head record.
That is only if neither team has a good enough record to win the wild card, and the game is needed to determine who goes home. They dont bother playing when both teams are moving on anyways.
If we get 96 wins, only 1 team could top us - The Yankees.
If they did that, the Red Sox would have 93 wins, so the Yankees would win the east.
If the Red Sox get to 96 wins, they would win the East, and the Yankees would win 94.
Since we and Cleveland would be tied for the ALC/WC, and both teams would go to the playoffs anyway, no tiebreaker would be played.
We would be declared division champs based on head to head record, and the Indians would be given the WC.

ThatGuyOnTheL
09-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Well, I personally would rather do it tomorrow afternoon because I am taking the LSATs early on Saturday morning.

Me too - good luck!

Tragg
09-29-2005, 12:05 AM
I don't think there is chance in hell that Cleveland will sweep us, let alone win 2 of 3 again. We are 11-5 against them, I believe 5-1 or 6-1 at the Jake. We are winning at least 2. Cleveland can grab some bench.

Yea you right!

Chips
09-29-2005, 12:07 AM

It was done to me, so I'll do it to you

http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/588/nothisagainwsi9cr.jpg

TheOldRoman
09-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Me too - good luck!
Same to you. I will be taking it at Northwestern.

Chips
09-29-2005, 12:15 AM

I was supposed to take the LSAT last October, than this Feb, and then in June. I am definitely taking it in 2006, no matter what.

Good luck to both of you.

bringfrankback
09-29-2005, 12:23 AM
That is only if neither team has a good enough record to win the wild card, and the game is needed to determine who goes home. They dont bother playing when both teams are moving on anyways.
If we get 96 wins, only 1 team could top us - The Yankees.
If they did that, the Red Sox would have 93 wins, so the Yankees would win the east.
If the Red Sox get to 96 wins, they would win the East, and the Yankees would win 94.
Since we and Cleveland would be tied for the ALC/WC, and both teams would go to the playoffs anyway, no tiebreaker would be played.
We would be declared division champs based on head to head record, and the Indians would be given the WC.

I seeee, Thanks for clarifying that up, i was wondering about that. Anyone from here goin to watch the game at Buffalo Wild Wings on York in Addison? If so ill see ya there around 215.

popilius
09-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Sox win the tie-breaker with Cleveland IF they're tied with Cleveland and Cleveland would win the WC outright. The WC goes to the best SECOND PLACE team, and there's no way any other second place team can get 96 wins.

True, with a win tomorrow we clinch a co-divisional championship, which means that we actually go to the playoffs as the division champs because of the season series. . .

STILL, I want to finish the season with a better record than Cleveland, no matter what. I want the Sox to stand alone at the top of the division.

batmanZoSo
09-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Now that I think about it, if they win and the Indians lose tomorrow, they would miss the chance to celebrate on the field. That would suck. I guess I'd celebrate tomorrow if they get the chance.

Yeah I don't want that anticlimactic crap again like we had in 2000. I'd like us to clinch whenever we record a final out and be able to jump on the field like we did in '93.

Yes, we can be picky about this.

Flight #24
09-29-2005, 12:49 AM
The division title is clinched with a win tomorrow. Thus I'd bet they celebrate if/when they win tomorrow. Regardless of what Cleveland does.

The real question is if they do that, what does Ozzie do over the weekend? You could rest some starters, but given the inconsistency of this offense, you may want to give them every opportunity to get in a groove.

I'd bet you continue to see the regular lineup, but guys start getting replaced from the 6th on. That goes for starters and position players.

Chips
09-29-2005, 12:51 AM
The division title is clinched with a win tomorrow. Thus I'd bet they celebrate if/when they win tomorrow. Regardless of what Cleveland does.

The real question is if they do that, what does Ozzie do over the weekend? You could rest some starters, but given the inconsistency of this offense, you may want to give them every opportunity to get in a groove.

I'd bet you continue to see the regular lineup, but guys start getting replaced from the 6th on. That goes for starters and position players.

I don't want to see the "scrubs" in at all. I want this team to be on fire going in the playoffs. Hopefully tonight's (9/28) will get them on that roll.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
09-29-2005, 12:55 AM
the only way the sox can clinch the division tomorrow is if they win and cleveland loses. they clinch a playoff berth with a win no matter what else happens. but if they win and then get swept by the indians and both end up with 96 wins, they would then play a playoff game against each other in cleveland (cuz they won the coin toss) and the winner of that game would win the division. remember, the magic number is still 2, so if they each win, it goes down to only 1

TheOldRoman
09-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Whitesox.com article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20050928&content_id=1227943&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

This explains it all. Here is the best quote:
If the White Sox win Thursday afternoon with Freddy Garcia on the mound, they are the 2005 American League Central champions.
Einhorn is there, Jr is flying in. They will celebrate tomorrow!

TheOldRoman
09-29-2005, 12:56 AM
the only way the sox can clinch the division tomorrow is if they win and cleveland loses. they clinch a playoff berth with a win no matter what else happens. but if they win and then get swept by the indians and both end up with 96 wins, they would then play a playoff game against each other in cleveland (cuz they won the coin toss) and the winner of that game would win the division.
Ummm, did you even read this thread?
Obviously not.:rolleyes:

Chips
09-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Ummm, did you even read this thread?
Obviously not.:rolleyes:

If by readl, you meant imagined a naked lady, then yes.

Frankfan4life
09-29-2005, 12:57 AM
True, with a win tomorrow we clinch a co-divisional championship, which means that we actually go to the playoffs as the division champs because of the season series. . .

STILL, I want to finish the season with a better record than Cleveland, no matter what. I want the Sox to stand alone at the top of the division.So do I. I think the media will be happy to give the Sox some grief about settling for a tie, being lucky the season ended when it did, blah, blah, blah... I'd also like for the Sox to finish with the best record in the AL. That way, it's going to be hard to say that this team choked down the stretch.

Of course those are best case scenarios, I'll be happy with an AL Central Division Championship no matter how they get it done.

Tragg
09-29-2005, 12:58 AM
That makes sense; because if we win tomorrow, but end up tied for the division (which is the worst we can do division-wise if we win tomorrow), that means the team both Cle and Chi are in the playoffs; thus, no need for a playoff game, and they'll use the natural tiebreaker.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
09-29-2005, 01:00 AM
oh yeah, my bad on my previous post. i forgot that not both boston and new york could finish with enough wins to force a playoff game with us vs. cleveland

TheOldRoman
09-29-2005, 01:00 AM
If by readl, you meant imagined a naked lady, then yes.:rolling:

Tragg
09-29-2005, 01:03 AM
If we win tomorrow, and then start some AAA pitchers in Cleveland, and play Blum, Willie and Timo all weekend, and end up losing 3 to Cleveland, the squealing from the Bocubs/spanks mouthpiece, ESPN, would be funny. I hope it doesn't happen that way, but it would be funny.

voodoochile
09-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Psst...

The Sox have already clinched no worse than a one game playoff for the WC slot...

Johnny Mostil
09-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Psst...

The Sox have already clinched no worse than a one game playoff for the WC slot...

Correct. The only way they can't make the post-season is . . . aw, the hell with it, they will.

ilsox7
09-29-2005, 01:58 AM
The liquor is on ice! I have class tomorrow from 2-3:30 (damn CivPro) but will be at the bar at 3:45 celebrating a Central Division Championship! Feel free to join me on Division Street!

santo=dorf
09-29-2005, 02:04 AM
I'm ditching class. :bandance:

ilsox7
09-29-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm ditching class. :bandance:

I am soooooo tempted. I have a hypo review session from 12:30-2:00 that I can follow the game online at. Then after that is class from 2:00-3:30, but it's my most difficult class to miss. I am resigning myself to hitting the bar by 4 to celebrate.

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2005, 02:32 AM
I have class at 2:00. I can't ditch.

hawkeyesox17
09-29-2005, 02:36 AM
midterm ending at 12:00, next class at 2:30, i think may get "sick" :D: and miss that last class.

Mr. White Sox
09-29-2005, 02:37 AM

I have class from 9:30-11:50, so I can watch the game...some of it at least...I have a 2:30-3:45 Psych test that I have to take, so I can't celebrate until afterward...:angry:

Chisox003
09-29-2005, 02:42 AM
midterm ending at 12:00, next class at 2:30, i think may get "sick" :D: and miss that last class.
I also have a midterm....

Aren't you a freshman at Iowa too?

Your midterm doesnt happen to be sociology.....does it......?

batmanZoSo
09-29-2005, 02:44 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

StockdaleForVeep
09-29-2005, 02:50 AM

http://simpsons.metropoliglobal.com/famosos/9F07AdamWest.jpg
"Pure West"

hawkeyesox17
09-29-2005, 03:00 AM
I also have a midterm....

Aren't you a freshman at Iowa too?

Your midterm doesnt happen to be sociology.....does it......?

yes...freaky, yet funny at the same time

OEO Magglio
09-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Nice little blurb from mlb.com, we already knew it but fun to see it in print anyways: Jose Contreras won his eighth straight start and Scott Podsednik had four hits, leading the White Sox over the Tigers, 8-2, on Wednesday night. If the White Sox win this afternoon with Freddy Garcia on the mound, they are the 2005 American League Central champions.:bandance::bandance:

ThatGuyOnTheL
09-29-2005, 09:41 AM

Well, if you see a guy in a Sox road jersey who appears to be having an aneurysm....that's me.

mike squires
09-29-2005, 09:42 AM

I'd be saving some of those sick days for some playoff games!!!

Sox magic number=1

# of working days left will Squires has entire month of October off.=.5

spiffie
09-29-2005, 10:44 AM
All I'll say right now is thank goodness for a desk job, MLB Audio, and a permissive boss. There will be a shout in Evanston today if all goes well. Let's get this done today Freddy!

Iwritecode
09-29-2005, 10:49 AM

Yea, but you could make the class really, really short. :wink:

MushMouth
09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
I dug this up re: 2001 NL Central Champs...
interesting - but the fact is Houston won the Central that year. Same scenario as ours.

CARDINALS AND ASTROS SQUABBLE OVER FLAG

So, who won the National League's Central Division in 2001, anyway?

The St. Louis Cardinals or the Houston Astros?

Several Astros were upset when they saw that the Cards were displaying a 2001 NL Central co-championship banner. The Astros won the tiebreaker and are the real champions.

"I would think that they would have more serious matters than to be concerned with than something so trivial," Cards general manager Walt Jocketty said.

Both teams finished 2001 with 93-69 records. The Astros entered the 2001 post-season as the NL's top seed after beating the Cardinals in the final game of the season to win the season series 9-7.

"When we saw the Cards press guide, we scratched our heads," Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker said. "We were awarded the division championship and they were awarded the wild card. I think the commissioner's office should clarify it."

A defaced Cardinals media guide made the rounds of the Astros clubhouse with the words '2001 NL Central Division Co-Champs' modified to read `wild card.' The Astros also fly a banner in left field of Astros Field recognizing them as NL Central champs.

A Major League Baseball official called the scrap "silly" but added there is no definitive right or wrong in this instance.

"It's basically the wild card, but it's also co-champions," said vice-president of scheduling and club relations Katy Feeney. "Since the Astros had the better head-to-head record, they were determined to be the champs and the Cards the wild card for the post-season. But since they both had the same regular season record, they were both co-champs. Technically, the Astros get the champion title."

The St. Louis front office has a plaque that reads: "By virtue of having the highest percentage of games won in the NL Central, the lesser record versus co-champion Astros and better record of all second-place teams, the St. Louis Cardinals are hereby declared the 2001 Wild Card Champions and Central Division Co-champions of the NL."

Sxy Mofo
09-29-2005, 11:09 AM
wooo! go sox!

CaptainBallz
09-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna trust you guys on this one. Checked Yahoo Sports and they just mention clinching WC, but they're dumb.Let it be today, my friends!!!:bandance: :bandance:

Go Sox!

CaptainBallz
09-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna trust you guys on this one. Checked Yahoo Sports and they just mention clinching WC, but they're dumb.Let it be today, my friends!!!:bandance: :bandance:

Go Sox!

Nevermind...They caught on. Top Baseball Story Right Now!!!

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 12:10 PM
GO SOX- Win and dont die trying

BTW this is one reason to hate WC's and tiebreakers--- what's this-- football?

MushMouth
09-29-2005, 12:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/

they've finally caught on!

Nellie_Fox
09-29-2005, 02:49 PM
I have class at 2:00. I can't ditch.Hey, there's a TV in the classroom with cable, the game's on ESPN, and the students are rolling and classifying fingerprints today (Criminal Investigation class.) I can put the TV on with no sound.

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Hey, there's a TV in the classroom with cable, the game's on ESPN, and the students are rolling and classifying fingerprints today (Criminal Investigation class.) I can put the TV on with no sound.

I work in an elementary school and we have a classroom-turned "t.v. studio," complete with Comcast Cable. As soon as I'm done teaching at 2p, I'm headed right down to the "t.v. studio" because I want to see the win, not just listen to it on my portable radio underneath my desk or watch it on MLB Gameday! One of the janitors has been in & out of the room since noon, so he's hooking me up!Party on, Sox fans!!!! :bandance:

doublem23
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Ugh, I am so sick today. Sorry, work, but I got that Sox Fever that's been going around. :wink:

soxfanreggie
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
Glad class got done early today...I get to see the Sox clinch :D:

:supernana:

pinotgrigio
09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
three outs away from clinching!!:D:

ChiSoxGirl
09-29-2005, 03:21 PM
three outs away from clinching!!:D:

I'm anxious to see what this board is like during a clincher! My guess... one giant PARTY!!!! :bandance: I HATE the fact that it's happening during a day game, though.

Side note: Just got off the phone with my mom and she said that Rich King was on the noon news and said they're breaking in to coverage when the Sox clinch. So if you're at home, get your VCRs ready!

HotelWhiteSox
09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
3 more outs!

#1venturafan
09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Ahhhh!!! I'm so nervous!

soxrme
09-29-2005, 03:26 PM
Cora should be fired right now:angry:

The_Floridian
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
2 more. I'm just sayin'

The_Floridian
09-29-2005, 03:29 PM
One more.

Stress....

The_Floridian
09-29-2005, 03:31 PM
WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!! :supernana:

#1venturafan
09-29-2005, 03:33 PM
YIPPEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

My boss just announced over the intercom that the WHITE SOX ARE THE AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

joshua1024
09-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Just want to say, amidst all the hub and the bub over our clinching today, that I was at last night's game at Comerica Park and was blown away -- BLOWN AWAY -- by how well Jose pitched. Overpowering stuff! NASTY breaking ball!

I'm so psyched. Go SOX GO!!!!

OH YEAH: My wife told me I have to say that I love her more than I love theWhite Sox, "even if it is not true." OK, honey! I said it!!!!:washington :washington WE DID IT FOR HAROLD!!!!