PDA

View Full Version : The unexplainable...

Sxy Mofo
09-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Everyone probably has one thing that just perplexes them about this team, this year, whether it be timo perez playing time, why damaso marte refuses to throw strikes, etc.... and we should make a thread to ask... and answer those questions (ok, I just wanted a thread to answer this question).

My perplexing question. How did the offensive focus switch from the long ball to base hits and contact, and nearly every player on the team is hitting below their career average? I have not been able to figure that one out all year. Generally in baseball as power numbers go up, average goes down and vice versa (save a few special cases for guys who are just sick - pujols, etc.) What is the cause?

*theme from unsolved mysteries plays in the background*

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2005, 05:57 PM
A lot changes in a 162 games.

Sxy Mofo
09-28-2005, 06:06 PM
A lot changes in a 162 games.

You suck at answers.

Paulwny
09-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Everyone probably has one thing that just perplexes them about this team, this year, whether it be timo perez playing time, why damaso marte refuses to throw strikes, etc.... and we should make a thread to ask... and answer those questions (ok, I just wanted a thread to answer this question).

My perplexing question. How did the offensive focus switch from the long ball to base hits and contact, and nearly every player on the team is hitting below their career average? I have not been able to figure that one out all year. Generally in baseball as power numbers go up, average goes down and vice versa (save a few special cases for guys who are just sick - pujols, etc.) What is the cause?

*theme from unsolved mysteries plays in the background*

I'll bite, protection, with a light hitting team a pitcher isn't afraid to go after batters. Very little for him to worry about and he can pitch around a particular batter he may have had problems with.
Meanwhile, Boston and NY have protection up and down the order. You pitch around Arod and Scheffield is waiting.