PDA

View Full Version : Maddux streak comes to an end

Iwritecode
09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
17 consecutive seasons of winning 15 games or more. Heíll only get a max of 14 this year if Dusty even lets him pitch another game.

Didnít see this mentioned anywhere so I just thought Iíd bring it up. Forgetting for a moment that he plays on the wrong side of town, itís a pretty amazing feat. It rivals (and was a big part of) Atlantaís division title streak and I doubt either will be matched or broken anytime soon.

I looked it up out of curiosity and the next two closest guys are Mulder who has a current streak of 5 years and Bartolo whose streak is at 4. :o:

To make this a total WTS thread Iíll also mention that the Cubs chances of having 3 winning seasons in a row is in serious jeopardy with Houston coming in for a 4-game set and playing for their playoff lives. :cool:

SOXPHILE
09-28-2005, 02:52 PM
What's funny is if you look at Paul Sullivan's article in the Cubune, the headline says something like "18 year streak likely over". It also says something similar in the body of the article itself, how the streak is "probably over". Uhhhh...Paul ? The words "likely" and "probably" mean that there is still a small chance. The streak IS over. He has 13 wins, and there's only 5 games left. He only has one more start possible. Kinda hard for a starter to win 2 games in the next 5 days if he just pitched yesterday. So Paul, do you think they still have a shot at the Wild Card, or have they "probably" been eliminated ?

C-Dawg
09-28-2005, 03:29 PM
To make this a total WTS thread Iíll also mention that the Cubs chances of having 3 winning seasons in a row is in serious jeopardy with Houston coming in for a 4-game set and playing for their playoff lives. :cool:

No three-peat for the Cubs! The historic two-year streak is over!

StillMissOzzie
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
What's funny is if you look at Paul Sullivan's article in the Cubune, the headline says something like "18 year streak likely over". It also says something similar in the body of the article itself, how the streak is "probably over". Uhhhh...Paul ? The words "likely" and "probably" mean that there is still a small chance. The streak IS over. He has 13 wins, and there's only 5 games left. He only has one more start possible. Kinda hard for a starter to win 2 games in the next 5 days if he just pitched yesterday. So Paul, do you think they still have a shot at the Wild Card, or have they "probably" been eliminated ?

But he could still come into a game where the ScRubs have the lead and the starter couldn't go the required 5 innings to notch the W. It's not "likely" or "probable", but remember:
Hope springs eternal at the Urinal!

SMO
:gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
09-28-2005, 03:54 PM

B&B said that the Cubune's website last night said the streak WAS over.

Hmm, wonder what changed overnight? Methinks the Cubune's Blue Fairy Dust Department kicked into action to put a positive spin on what has to be a completely unfeasible situation.

Iwritecode
09-28-2005, 05:11 PM
No three-peat for the Cubs! The historic two-year streak is over!

It's official now. They can finish the season at .500 at best.

They had the bases loaded with none out in the bottom of the ninth and still couldn't push across the tying or winning run.

fquaye149
09-28-2005, 06:14 PM
since 15 wins isn't really a universal benchmark for baseball (unlike 30 HR, .300 AVG, 20 wins, etc) couldn't they just say he has X straight seasons with 13 wins? or 14?

It's kind of like that stupid thing the NFL was saying about Cadillac Williams how he has the most rushing yards for a rookie after 3 games.

Wow....another timeless record falls!:?:

Unregistered
09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
since 15 wins isn't really a universal benchmark for baseball (unlike 30 HR, .300 AVG, 20 wins, etc) couldn't they just say he has X straight seasons with 13 wins? or 14?

It's kind of like that stupid thing the NFL was saying about Cadillac Williams how he has the most rushing yards for a rookie after 3 games.

Wow....another timeless record falls!:?:Sounds like those random pointless stats they show when a player is batting at the Cell.
"__________ led the AL in ground rule doubles in May of 2004 with 3." :D:

C-Dawg
09-28-2005, 09:26 PM

Its just like when Mark Buehrle was ejected from that game in Baltimore, thus ending his streak of pitching 6 or more innings over however-many starts. The very next day Cub fans were saying "That was just a made-up stat anyway". If so, than I say the Maddux stat is too.

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Looks like I won my bet with Mickey the Cub fan at Guides. He thought Wood and Maddux would both have more than 15 Wins. I'll be drinking on him for quite a while. :D:

antitwins13
09-29-2005, 12:52 AM
It makes this season that much sweeter. Dance my lil bananas dance!:bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

PatK
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
What's funny about seeing people whine about the streak being over is that Maddux doesn't even really seem to care. He said that for him, 15 wins is no big deal and that 20 is always his goal.

Iwritecode
09-29-2005, 10:38 AM

Wow....another timeless record falls!:?:

It's still a pretty amazing stat and just shows the durability of the guy.

Like I said the next two closest to the record only have streaks of 5 and 4. Who knows if those two will even still be playing in 12 or 13 years much less winning double-digit numbers...

fquaye149
09-29-2005, 10:42 AM
It's still a pretty amazing stat and just shows the durability of the guy.

Like I said the next two closest to the record only have streaks of 5 and 4. Who knows if those two will even still be playing in 12 or 13 years much less winning double-digit numbers...

Don't get me wrong - Maddux was (is?) a great pitcher and that streak does REFLECT that. All I'm saying is, is it any less impressive to say he went X number of years with 14 wins? 13? It's not like 15 wins is hitting .300 or having 20 wins. That's all I'm saying.

Basically, what I'm saying is, outside of this streak when do you ever hear anyone mention 15 wins as a benchmark for a pitcher?