PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Question

Taliesinrk
09-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm sorry.. I'm not sure where this post goes... I know I should by now, but for some reason I can't find the right place to put it so feel free to move it mods..

Nonetheless, I came across this question today and found it kind of fun and interesting to ponder for a couple of minutes (plus it took my mind off the last two games):

There are seven ways a runner can reach first base without a hit: Name them....

tlebar318
09-28-2005, 01:43 PM
walk, hit by pitch, dropped 3rd strike, catcher's interference, error, and the other 2 I have no idea at least at the moment...good question!

Realist
09-28-2005, 01:45 PM
fielders choice

Goose
... and the other 2 I have no idea at least at the moment...good question!

Fielder's choice is one...

SouthSide_HitMen
walk, hit by pitch, dropped 3rd strike, catcher's interference, error, and the other 2 I have no idea at least at the moment...good question!

Hit and fielder's choice.

bluestar
09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
The 7th would be runner interference.

tlebar318
Hit and fielder's choice.

yeah, but he said besides a hit...so 1 left...

Taliesinrk
very nice.. there is one more.. this is the one that had me pondering the question for a bit...

Ol' No. 2
walk, hit by pitch, dropped 3rd strike, catcher's interference, error, and the other 2 I have no idea at least at the moment...good question!Fielder's choice is one.

bluestar
09-28-2005, 01:48 PM
If a ground ball hits a runner, the runner is out, but the batter is awarded first base. That is not scored as a hit, but is runner interference.

Meixner007
There's a few actually. This question has been debated for awhile. A few others being:

Balk with 3 balls
Fan Interference
Umpire interference
Runner Interference
and my favorite...Pinch Runner

Flight #24
very nice.. there is one more.. this is the one that had me pondering the question for a bit...

If I take your question literally, one way would be to be inserted as a pinch runner for someone already on 1st. The question wasn't how many ways can a batter reach first.

Taliesinrk
09-28-2005, 01:49 PM
There is one more.. however, I hadn't pondered the interference (i think runner's interference is when the runner interferes with a player fielding a ball). I would imagine that that answer would be in the same group as catcher's interference.

Meixner007
09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
There is one more.. however, I hadn't pondered the interference (i think runner's interference is when the runner interferes with a player fielding a ball). I would imagine that that answer would be in the same group as catcher's interference.

Runners interference is when the batted ball hits a runner...the runner is out and the batter is awarded first base.

Taliesinrk
09-28-2005, 01:51 PM
I don't think they would grant 1st on umpire's interference.. do you?? The umpire is part of the field of play..

Taliesinrk
09-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Runners interference is when the batted ball hits a runner...the runner is out and the batter is awarded first base.

My bad.. what's the term for interference by a runner with a fielder who has the right to the ball??

voodoochile
09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
My bad.. what's the term for interference by a runner with a fielder who has the right to the ball??

running out of the basepath. :D:

Taliesinrk
09-28-2005, 01:56 PM
If I take your question literally, one way would be to be inserted as a pinch runner for someone already on 1st. The question wasn't how many ways can a batter reach first.

That's right.. those were the seven I was given, however, the dropped 3rd strike usually goes as a PB/WP so I would imagine they lumped that into the error catagory and perhaps put a balk with 3 strikes as the 7th.. at least that was what I had in my answer. Interesting question nonetheless. I never thought about the fan's/runner's interference though.. good stuff

voodoochile
09-28-2005, 01:57 PM
That's right.. those were the seven I was given, however, the dropped 3rd strike usually goes as a PB/WP so I would imagine they lumped that into the error catagory and perhaps put a balk with 3 strikes as the 7th.. at least that was what I had in my answer. Interesting question nonetheless. I never thought about the fan's/runner's interference though.. good stuff

No, PB/WP are not couted as errors.

bluestar
09-28-2005, 02:00 PM
Technically, a balk on a three-ball count would be scored as a base on balls, wouldn't it? It would not be considered any different than any other walk.

bluestar
09-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm trying to think of how a fan could interfere with a ball that would result in a player being awarded first base.

Any ideas?

bluestar
09-28-2005, 02:11 PM
I don't think they would grant 1st on umpire's interference.. do you?? The umpire is part of the field of play..

It is possible for a batter to be awarded first on umpire interference. The hit ball must be in fair territory and must hit an umpire before it has topuched or passed an infielder or the pitcher. Of course, this would mean the umpire was being stupid and positioned himself inside fair territory.

itsnotrequired
09-28-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm trying to think of how a fan could interfere with a ball that would result in a player being awarded first base.

Any ideas?

Fan runs onto infield as the pitch is made. Ball hits fan before reaching any infielders. Runner awarded first base, fan beaten by security.

Paulwny
09-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Umpire intereference, the batted ball somehow lodged in the umps' clothing.

bluestar
09-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Fan runs onto infield as the pitch is made. Ball hits fan before reaching any infielders. Runner awarded first base, fan beaten by security.

Maybe some brave Sox fans should run onto the field and attempt to interfere with Rowand's ground balls during tonight's game.

Hokiesox
09-28-2005, 03:36 PM

Interference.

Hokiesox
09-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Umpire intereference, the batted ball somehow lodged in the umps' clothing.

That means runners advance, but the batter isn't awarded first base. Unless the ball was fouled off (the usual reason for a ball getting lodged). In that case, it's a foul ball only since foul balls = dead balls.

Hokiesox
09-28-2005, 03:39 PM
It is possible for a batter to be awarded first on umpire interference. The hit ball must be in fair territory and must hit an umpire before it has topuched or passed an infielder or the pitcher. Of course, this would mean the umpire was being stupid and positioned himself inside fair territory.

IN MLB, no. It's very easy for the second base umpire to get decapitated by a line shot with a runner on second base, especially with a pitcher who falls off the mound (he tends to obstruct the view). It happens all the time in youth baseball where we run 2-man systems.

bluestar
09-28-2005, 04:07 PM
IN MLB, no. It's very easy for the second base umpire to get decapitated by a line shot with a runner on second base, especially with a pitcher who falls off the mound (he tends to obstruct the view). It happens all the time in youth baseball where we run 2-man systems.

From the MLB rules:
The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when...

(d) A fair ball touches an umpire or a runner on fair territory before touching a fielder. If a fair ball touches an umpire after having passed a fielder other than the pitcher, or having touched a fielder, including the pitcher, the ball is in play.

Mohoney
09-28-2005, 04:45 PM
If the batter has 3 balls and the pitcher goes to his mouth, does the batter get 1st base?

bluestar
09-28-2005, 05:07 PM
If the batter has 3 balls and the pitcher goes to his mouth, does the batter get 1st base?

Only if the pitcher goes to his mouth while he is on the mound. That would still be considered a base on balls.

Paulwny
09-28-2005, 07:14 PM
That means runners advance, but the batter isn't awarded first base. Unless the ball was fouled off (the usual reason for a ball getting lodged). In that case, it's a foul ball only since foul balls = dead balls.

If a ball is hit fair and it lodges, say in the 2nd base umpire's clothing, I think that its a hit.