PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Oakland?

DrGiggles
09-28-2005, 11:09 AM
I was thinking how dominant they were a month ago and I wonder what happened to their team. I'm glad they didn't make it to the playoffs or hopefully don't, because I don't want to play them, but what REALLY caused this. Was it Anaheim just getting hot or something with their pitching? Let me know.

tlebar318
09-28-2005, 11:15 AM
turns out Billy Beane isn't a genius after all I guess....:smile:

tstrike2000
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
I was thinking how dominant they were a month ago and I wonder what happened to their team. I'm glad they didn't make it to the playoffs or hopefully don't, because I don't want to play them, but what REALLY caused this. Was it Anaheim just getting hot or something with their pitching? Let me know.

From what I've been reading and seeing, Chavez went into a tirade on the team bus and they responded with that stretch where they went 47-16. Zito was stinking up the place and then went something like 10 or 12 starts where he didn't lose. Harden was a really solid #2 starter, the young bullpen was pitching well and Bobby Crosby was really picking up guys on offense. They went back into their old ways with Zito struggling, Harden couldn't carry the starting staff on his own, Crosby slumped and no one was picking up guys on base. Plus, the young bullpen has struggled as of late which has all contributed to a 7-20 month they had.

Frater Perdurabo
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
turns out Billy Beane isn't a genius after all I guess....:smile:

Shhhh... We've got enough problems with the Dark Clouds. We don't need the FOBB's to come out from the woodwork now....

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Not enough steroids to make Beane look like a genius amongst the feeble-minded.

:cool:

Baby Fisk
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
They started the season as ABSOLUTE CRAP and that did them in. Then they had a super-hot stretch during July & August -- hot enough for some folks around here to start getting their knickers in a twist (no names, but you know who you are, all you folks who started thread after thread dreading mighty Oakland :wink: ). Now the A's are back to mediocrity. Paper Tigers of 2005.

Jjav829
09-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Billy Beane aside, I give the A's team credit for doing what they did. Beane traded away their two best pitchers, yet the rest of the team stepped up and overachieved. This was supposed to be a down year for them while their young players matured, yet they stayed in the division race all the way until the final week of the season. Macha and the players deserve credit for that.

Frater Perdurabo
09-28-2005, 11:33 AM
Billy Beane aside, I give the A's team credit for doing what they did. Beane traded away their two best pitchers, yet the rest of the team stepped up and overachieved. This was supposed to be a down year for them while their young players matured, yet they stayed in the division race all the way until the final week of the season. Macha and the players deserve credit for that.

Yes, Oakland overachieved. But I give Kenny Williams and the White Sox even more credit. He completely re-built the pitching staff to where the Sox now have six legitimate MLB-quality starting pitchers. He also oversaw a team that through trade, free agency or injury lost its three best hitters (Frank, Maggs, Lee), plus its only left-handed power threat (Valentin), and actually improved its regular season record by at least 10 wins (with five more games to play), have a two-game lead in the A.L. Central and a better record than both the Yankees and the Red Sox, all while playing in a tougher division! And they accomplished all this, even though no Sox position player has had a career year or even overachieved, and in fact several are performing below their individual regular season averages.

Jjav829
09-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Yes, Oakland overachieved. But I give Kenny Williams and the White Sox even more credit. He completely re-built the pitching staff to where the Sox now have six legitimate MLB-quality starting pitchers. He also oversaw a team that through trade, free agency or injury lost its three best hitters (Frank, Maggs, Lee), plus its only left-handed power threat (Valentin), and actually improved its regular season record by at least 10 wins (with five more games to play), have a two-game lead in the A.L. Central and a better record than both the Yankees and the Red Sox, all while playing in a tougher division! And they accomplished all this, even though no Sox position player has had a career year or even overachieved, and in fact several are performing below their individual regular season averages.

This isn't a White Sox vs. Oakland thing. I'm simply acknowledging the effort of the Oakland A's players. My post has absolutely nothing to do with the White Sox.

Banix12
09-28-2005, 11:55 AM
For a team which I think even Billy Beane would have admitted at the start of the season was not completely ready to compete for the division, what they did this season was amazing. Remember most of the hype about them making the playoffs came from sabremetrics sites like BP, not Billy Beane.

This was year one of a rebuilding effort and his young players adjusted really fast to the major leagues. Even though they are not making the playoffs, it was a very positive season for them.

And who knows what would have happened if Bobby Crosby didn't miss a month or so due to injury.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Bobby Crosby. The A's are not very good without him and I can't figure out their record without him.

JRIG
09-28-2005, 02:05 PM
They started the season as ABSOLUTE CRAP and that did them in. Then they had a super-hot stretch during July & August -- hot enough for some folks around here to start getting their knickers in a twist (no names, but you know who you are, all you folks who started thread after thread dreading mighty Oakland :wink: ). Now the A's are back to mediocrity. Paper Tigers of 2005.

I'd say this is the biggest thing. They started the season by digging themselvse a huge hole. Then Bobby Crosby missed a big chunk of time, then Rich Harden went down too.

I think almost everyone would say Oakland bested their expectations this sason. They just locked up Dan Haren til 2010 and Joe Blanton has been lights out in the 2nd half. So 2006 is looking pretty good. I think Kendall was a bit of a disappointment, in that he hit for almost zero power. And they need another bat to step up and complement Chavez. Could be Dan Johnson, who's played very well this year. We'll see.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Plain and simple, Oakland was never that good. Even mediocre teams have hot streaks, but over a 162 game season the cream rises to the top.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Plain and simple, Oakland was never that good. Even mediocre teams have hot streaks, but over a 162 game season the cream rises to the top.

Yep. You know what you call a team that misses the playoffs after a 162 game schedule? Losers.

"Wait till next year" A's fans, FOBB's, and anyone else looking to make excuses for that loser ballclub.

If we were talking about the Sox I guarantee nobody here would care about the "woulda, coulda, shouldas." Chokeland deserves no quarter either.

:cool:

Jerko
09-28-2005, 02:54 PM
The Raiders rubbed off on them.

ChiSoxRowand
09-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Oakland had some key injuries down the stretch, and that was a big factor in their demise. Harden hasn't started in a month and Crosby was out for a while. Keilty also missed some time down the stretch. They also had a lot of injuries early in the year (Crosby, Harden, Swisher).

Jerome
09-28-2005, 04:18 PM
As a fan of the A's from a distance, it was fun following them this year. I really did enjoy all the negative press and reaction that followed the Mulder and Hudson trades. Hey ESPN, not so wise to evaluate a trade after only 30 or so games.

It was so frustrating to see so many good pitching performances get wasted by such a meager offense. They need help on offense. A lot. One consolation is that because they are so young, this may be the worst A's team we see in the next 2 or 3 years. But that offense. :(:

antitwins13
09-28-2005, 04:30 PM
The Raiders rubbed off on them.

They Gone!

Flight #24
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
As a fan of the A's from a distance, it was fun following them this year. I really did enjoy all the negative press and reaction that followed the Mulder and Hudson trades. Hey ESPN, not so wise to evaluate a trade after only 30 or so games.

It was so frustrating to see so many good pitching performances get wasted by such a meager offense. They need help on offense. A lot. One consolation is that because they are so young, this may be the worst A's team we see in the next 2 or 3 years. But that offense. :(:

Ahem....The Mulder trade may have worked out, but even after a full year, that Hudson trade has generated....well....nada. They'll need those prospects to work out bigtime, and so far they got bupkus.