PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Roster

lpneck
09-28-2005, 10:43 AM
OK, assuming we make the playoffs, let's talk about the playoff roster. People shared some of their thoughts in the McCarthy thread, but I thought we should have one devoted to who is in and who is out.

The thing about a playoff roster is that you have to look at short term game situations. EVERYONE must understand what their role is on the team going into the playoffs and the situation where they might be utilized.

With that in mind, here is my playoff roster.
Pitchers:
Contreras - #1 starter
Buehrle - #2 starter
Garcia - starter, preferably in road/day game situation
Garland - starter
McCarthy - starter/long relief (QUICK yank to anyone struggling early)
Hermanson - closer if his back can handle it
Politte - setup
Jenks - RH matchup reliever
Cotts - LH matchup reliever
Marte - backup LH matchup reliever (only to be used situationally AFTER Cotts)
El Duque - backup RH matchup reliever (gives us some needed playoff experience in the bullpen)

That's 11 pitchers. I am leaving out Vizcaino. I can't think of a situation where he would be used. I know people are saying, "but El Duque isn't a reliever! It's a totally different animal!" In the playoffs, I want the best pitcher out there. Randy Johnson's most important career win came in relief. I can also see a situation where we use 5 different starters in the playoffs. (Not a 5 man rotation, but 5 starters- there's a difference). Say game 3 is a day game in Anaheim. I want Freddy G. starting that game. Now let's say he or Garland has a bad outing and their next turn is game 2 of the ALCS. I might go to McCarthy for that start, instead. It's all about having some options...

Starting Lineup:
Podsednik LF
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand CF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

What happened to this lineup? We used it the entire first month and a half before Frank came back and had great success with it. Moving Konerko up in the lineup to 3 spot means he will bat more often with one on and ONE out, instead of one one and TWO outs, so he doesn't have to look to hit as many home runs. It also increases Pods and Iguchi's chances of scoring if we can get one of them to second through a steal/sacrifice bunt. It also puts 3 guys in the lineup behind Konerko capable of hitting a HR, since he obviously isn't going to manufacture a run on the bases.

I know people have an issue with Everett in the lineup. (So do I.) But the time to get that taken care of was the trading deadline, not with 5 games to go in the season. It's too late now... for better or worse he's what we've got. Hopefullly his 2 hits last night are a sign he is ready to break out of his funk.

That leaves 5 players for the bench:
Widger - we have to have a backup C, but he will basically never play
Harris - he HAS to be on the team with the sole purpose of running for Konerko in the 9th inning of a tie/1-run game.
Gload- we need someone to play first base if we run for Konerko, so he gets a utility spot. Can also be used as a LH pinch hitter with some power if we were in a situation where we need a pinch hitter with the ability to hit a home run.
Ozuna - can play any of the other infield positions in an emergency. RH pinch hitter Can be used as a second pinch runner if need be
Perez - Backup outfielder in an emergency. LH pinch hitter. Can also be used as a 2nd pinch runner if needed.

This leaves out Blum, Borchard, and Anderson. I am taking Gload and Ozuna over Blum and Borchard, though, because if we pinch run for Paulie and need to put in a first basemen and then the game went to extra innings, I want Gload in the lineup, not Blum.

voodoochile
09-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I think that works for the first round, but in the second round they may want to dump a pitcher (either Hernandez or Marte) and activate Frank if he is healthy enough for PH duties.

I'd like to see an extra bat and one less pitcher for the playoffs, especially the WS where they need to PH more often in NL parks.

Doesn't have to be Frank, but Anderson probably brings as much to the table as Timo does...

DenverSock
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
Starting Lineup:
Podsednik LF
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand CF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Why not switch Rowand and Everett?

kevingrt
09-28-2005, 11:23 AM
I think that works for the first round, but in the second round they may want to dump a pitcher (either Hernandez or Marte) and activate Frank if he is healthy enough for PH duties.

I'd like to see an extra bat and one less pitcher for the playoffs, especially the WS where they need to PH more often in NL parks.

Doesn't have to be Frank, but Anderson probably brings as much to the table as Timo does...

I agree with you on the fact that Frank could be big come the ALCS, knock on wood.

Also I agree, I think El Duque beats out Vizcanio just because of playoff experience. He knows how to win in the playoffs and that could help us. And if two of our starters really struggle I can see El Duque moving into the rotation in the ALCS.

Jenks4Pres
09-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Bench Everett!

my5thbench
09-28-2005, 11:28 AM
I like your roster & think the lineup is fine, however Ozzie dropped

Everett down & it seems to be working so leave him there, keep

PK in the 4 hole where he thrives & try either Rowand or perhaps even

Crede in the 3rd spot....Voodoo, I'm sorry but there is know way that

we will see Big Frank this year

bigdommer
09-28-2005, 11:48 AM
I agree with lpneck on what the playoff roster should be. But I would be shocked if Oz and Kenny left Blum off for the sole reason that they keep running him out there. Same thing goes with Vizcaino...he shouldn't be on the roster, but then again, he should never see the mound unless the Sox are up or down by 10 runs.

I love your roster, but I bet that Blum is added over Harris. Perez/Ozuna can pinch run, and Gload can even pinch run for Konkerko if the run is not huge. Blum will play both corners while Willie will only play 2nd...and I can't see Iguchi getting a day off/pinch hit for/pinch run for in the playoffs. This would leave Timo for a pinch runner for Carl/AJ, with Timo staying in for Carl and Widger replacing AJ. Ozuna would then pinch hit for Pods in a lefty/lefty situation. Ozuna would pinch run for Crede, and either would pinch run for Paulie.

Not what I want, but what I think will happen.

DenverSock
09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
but I bet that Blum is added over Harris.

Why would anybody pick Blum?

bigdommer
09-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Why would anybody pick Blum?

I don't know...but Kenny picked him and Ozzie keeps picking him.

Your question should be in teal.

DenverSock
09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Your question should be in teal.
Please explain the use of teal, I confess I don't understand it. I'd have emailed this but you don't accept email.

MushMouth
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
we will see Big Frank this year

Is there some news I've missed?

I haven't so much heard of him being able to take batting practice yet...

bigdommer
09-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Please explain the use of teal, I confess I don't understand it. I'd have emailed this but you don't accept email.

As I understand it, teal is used for sarcastic or rhetorical comments, where the person doesn't want to be taken literally.

You asked why would anyone pick Blum, and I thought it was sarcastic due to the fact that Ozzie loves him and nobody knows why.

Joosh
09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Excellent, well thought-out first post, Ipneck.

Welcome aboard!

:welcome:

ChicagoHoosier
09-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Is Ozuna reliable enough of a glove to be used in late-inning defensive situations? He's looked a lot better lately, but that would be the determining factor on Blum vs. Willie, I'd think. If Ozzie/Kenny trust Ozuna at 3B, then we don't need Blum and keep Willie for his speed. If not, then maybe Blum stays.

Everyone is assuming Gload is the utility guy over Blum?

SABRSox
09-28-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry but there is know way that we will see Big Frank this year

If Frank can stand and swing a bat, he will be on the roster.

ode to veeck
09-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Harris is useless even as a pinch runner for Paulie in the 9th as he showed a few days ago when he didn't steal 2nd, then couldn't score from 1st on a double

lpneck
09-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Everyone is assuming Gload is the utility guy over Blum?

He has to be. The whole reason one of them would be in the game at first base is because we have run for Konerko. If that's the case, which one do you want in the cleanup spot if the game ends up in extra innings?

I could also see Gload used in a situation where we need a left handed hitter with some power at the plate with the ability to hit a HR. (Two on, two out in the ninth, down by 3 and Pods, Rowand, or Uribe at the plate against a righty.)

DenverSock... I think Everett is more likely to hit a HR, so I want him batting in situations with Konerko on base. I want Rowand in the 7 spot where he can act a "leadoff" hitter for the bottom of the order, where we need to manufacture a run... it's backwards to ask Rowand to drive guys in in the 3 or 5 spot and ask Everett to bat in the 7 spot where we may need a bunt or a hit and run.

Optipessimism
09-28-2005, 06:29 PM
I think the following players are pretty much in:
Pitchers: Contreras, Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, McCarthy, El Duque, Hermie, Cotts, Jenks, Politte, Marte
Starting line up: AJ C, Konerko 1B, Iguchi 2B, Uribe SS, Crede 3B, Pods LF, Dye RF, Aaron CF, Everett DH
Bench: Willie (pinch runner), Ozuna (clutch bat, can run for Crede)

IMO, the three spots that remain will go either Timo, Blum, Gload, Widger, Cassanova, Borchard or Anderson.

We need a back up 1B, a back up catcher, power off the LH side, and power from the PH side in three spots. Gload gives us the power from the LH side and a backup 1B while Widger gives us power from the RH and a backup catcher, so I'm pretty confident those two make it. I think Ozzie will give some serious thought to Cassanova since he has some power and is a switch hitter, but in the end I think the most important aspect of a Widger vs. Cassanova agrument would be that Widger has much more experience with our pitching staff if he comes in and the game goes to extras.

So, IMO, the final roster spot will come down to Timo vs. Blum vs. Borchard vs. Anderson. Since we have Gload, Willie, and Ozuna, Blum doesn't make sense since he can't run as well and wouldn't have a spot to play in the IF. Blum stays home, leaving the spot between Timo, Borch, and BA. Of the three left all have power, decent speed, and an arm for a corner OF spot. Anderson and Borch can play CF though while Timo can not, which I think is very important if Ozzie needs to hit for a struggling Rowand and doesn't want to give up Scotty's speed in LF. IMO, Timo and BA both stay home and Borchard gets the nod mainly because he is a switch hitter.

One final thought: IF and only IF Marte does something very very stupid over the next few days, Ozzie takes David Sanders instead. Either way, he will have two LH relievers.

SoxFan64
09-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Great thread starter.

I agree with Ipneck's outline. Like you, I wish we could get down to 10 pitchers but I do not see that happening because each of the 11 you outline serve a role.

Since this team is built around pitching you need to cover this area completely. I do see Vizcaino on the playoff roster so I expect (though I may not endorse) moving someone to the bench. But the two logical pitchers for Vizcaino to replace are two that have significant value to the team. McCarthy -- because he seems to be unflappable in tough situation and he can eat innings -- and El Duque -- because he has the most playoff experience. Besides it would tickle me to death to see him throw up zeros on the Pinstripers in the House that Ruth built. So absent a good alternative to your 11 pitchers, I think Viscaino is off the roster.

I would like to get another OF bat and glove on the playoff roster (probably Anderson) but I just don't see how that can be accomplished. Harris has too much value as a late inning PR that I see no way that he is not kept on the roster (I think he was added to the team on August 30 -- so it would take a move to get him OFF).

Blum, yup, I see Ozzie and KW keeping him but at whose expense. :?: But Gload look a better fit at 1B and Harris can cover 2B in an emergency so Blum's value is as a backup at SS and 3B and I think Ozuna can cover that.

But overall I get your outline a 95 -- it has a good beat and you can dance to it.

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

enurb
09-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I agree with LPneck on the roster -- not necessarily the lineup.

Blum and Vizcaino don't deserve to be on the playoff roster. Blum hasn't contributed to a single win and he's had plenty of opportunity. Our record with and without Blum on this team has got to be about .700 to .495 or thereabout. Vizcaino is an innings eater and we don't need that role filled in the playoffs b/c we only need 4 starters and the 5th starter can do it.

Leave Blum and Vizcaino off the roster -- please !!!

scottmt
09-28-2005, 11:25 PM
Don't the rules of eligibility prohibit Gload from being on the playoff roster considering he was called up September 1? Aren't Anderson and Borchard in similar boats?

Hate to rain on any parades...

Chips
09-28-2005, 11:34 PM
Don't the rules of eligibility prohibit Gload from being on the playoff roster considering he was called up September 1? Aren't Anderson and Borchard in similar boats?

Hate to rain on any parades...

I don't understand the roster rules that well, but I think Gload is eligible because he was on the roster earlier in the season. And I am pretty Anderson was on the roster before September 1st as well.

Optipessimism
09-29-2005, 12:46 AM
I don't understand the roster rules that well, but I think Gload is eligible because he was on the roster earlier in the season. And I am pretty Anderson was on the roster before September 1st as well.

Anderson and Gload both were, but I think Borchard, Cassanova, Bajenaru and Sanders were all called up on 9/1. I don't know how the playoff roster works either, so I'm just going to assume they are all eligible since they were on the 40 man roster until someone who knows corrects me.

Chips
09-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Anderson and Gload both were, but I think Borchard, Cassanova, Bajenaru and Sanders were all called up on 9/1. I don't know how the playoff roster works either, so I'm just going to assume they are all eligible since they were on the 40 man roster until someone who knows corrects me.

Even if Cassanova, Bajenaru and Sanders aren't eligible, I don't think they would make the playoff roster. Borchard, however, is a guy I want on the squad.

Banix12
09-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Blum has only made six appearances since the fifth of september and only 2 starts. So actually Ozzie hasn't been playing him a lot. In fact he only has 7 AB's and one start in the last three weeks starting at the tenth of september.

Actually Gload has seen a lot more playing time as of late but mostly as a late inning defensive replacement. He just has not been getting many AB's

September
Blum / 8 games /23 AB/ 3 hits / since 9/10 has made 3 Appearances
Gload / 11 games / 9 AB / 2 hits / since 9/10 has made 8 Appearances

Since 9/10 they also have the same amount of AB's.

The only reason that leads me to believe that Blum might be left off the roster in favor of Gload is that if Guillen was serious about having Blum on the playoff roster I would think Blum would be getting the majority of time as the late inning first base defensive substitute because that would be his most likely role in the playoffs.

Gload is also a faster runner on the basepaths giving him another pinch running option.

I also think Ozuna's recent emergence as a trustworthy defensive 3b has made Blum expendable because while he is a hair better than Ozuna at 3rd it's not a great difference anymore. Neither Blum or Ozuna will supplant Crede at 3rd anyway.

DenverSock
09-29-2005, 08:51 AM
As I understand it, teal is used for sarcastic or rhetorical comments, where the person doesn't want to be taken literally.

You asked why would anyone pick Blum, and I thought it was sarcastic due to the fact that Ozzie loves him and nobody knows why.

Well I don't like him! Every team has one or two like him. It's worse when he's a pitcher.