PDA

View Full Version : You Are Ozzie, Make the Line-Up

kevingrt
09-28-2005, 09:18 AM
Time for us, WSI members, to be Ozzie for a day. Lets make what we want to see be the lineup. I'll start us off. A little different but we need something to get started. I know it's late in the season and Ozzie and many members don't wanna "tinker' with the lineup, but we have been scuffling so here goes nothing.

LF Pods
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B PK
DH Carl
3B Crede
C AJ P
CF A-Row
SS Juan

A little different, but I would like to see how it works. I think Carl after a two hit night last night will come around soon. Crede would be better used in the six hole, I believe. Dye in the three hole is our best hitter right now. With him in the three hole, he would see better pitches with PK behind him, especially if Pods or Gooch are already on base.

Thoughts?

JRIG
09-28-2005, 09:23 AM
Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Gload 1B
Crede 3B

Make it so!

tstrike2000
09-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Gload 1B
Crede 3B

Yeah, I say we try something like that. That's the only lineup I haven't seen yet.

Madvora
09-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Gload 1B
Crede 3B

Make it so!
This one looks pretty nice to me. I've had enough of Rowand and Everett for a while. I have faith that Anderson can hang in there and do at least what Rowand has done lately. Gload... can't get any worse than Everett. I'll take it.

Blancos Medias
09-28-2005, 09:28 AM
JRIG, you've hit it. And if pinch hitting is needed, you have Timo and Borchard on the bench.

Perhaps Rowand and Dino need some rest.

JRIG
09-28-2005, 09:29 AM
JRIG, you've hit it. And if pinch hitting is needed, you have Timo and Borchard on the bench.

Perhaps Rowand and Dino need some rest.

And Rowand and Everett on the bench too. Who knows, maybe catch lightning in a bottle in a pinch hit at bat.

lpneck
09-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster :smile: (Have to do something to get rid of my nervous energy!)

Here's my lineup...

Podsednik LF (L)
Iguchi 2B (R)
Konerko 1B (R)
Everett DH (B)
Dye RF (R)
Pierzynski C (L)
Rowand CF (R)
Crede 3B (R)
Uribe SS (R)

Isn't this the lineup that they used the entire first month and a half of the season (before Frank came back?) Why have they gone away from this? It balances out the R/L situation in the middle of the lineup, allows Konerko to bat in more one on, ONE out situations instead of one on, TWO out, meaning he doesn't have to try to hit a home run. It puts people capable of hitting home runs behind Konerko since he is obviously not going to manufacture a run on the bases.

I know people aren't going to like Everett batting 4th, but it's where he had the most success this season. I don't particularly like him in the lineup either, right now, but it's too late for that. There are 5 games to go in the season and he's the guy for better or worse. We simply have to hold our breath and hope he breaks out of his funk.

Concerns about that should be addressed to K. Williams, general manager. Remember, where were we going to put another bat in our lineup? Or find room for another relief pitcher? :rolleyes:

tlebar318
09-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Where's Blum in JRIG's lineup? :D:

Sad
09-28-2005, 09:51 AM
Where's Blum in JRIG's lineup? :D:

don't get me started... I know that's in teal but I about blew a gasket last night when I seen him come out to pinch hit...:angry:

Viva Medias B's
09-28-2005, 09:57 AM
22 Podsednik LF
15 Iguchi 2B
14 Konerko 1B
33 Rowand CF
23 Dye RF
12 Pierzynski C
44 Anderson DH
5 Uribe SS
24 Crede 3B

Cellview22
09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
If I was Ozzie, I'd put Carl back in the #3 spot. It would show Carl he still has faith and confidence in him, and show him we need him to step up now. For Carl, it's just a mental thing, and if he gets out of it, I expect him to get on a little hitting streak. If Carl gets hot, this team is going far. Everytime Ozzie shuffles the lineup, the team seems lost. So back to the basics:

Pods
Iguchi
Everett
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Rowand
Uribe
Crede

JRIG
09-28-2005, 10:03 AM
If I was Ozzie, I'd put Carl back in the #3 spot. It would show Carl he still has faith and confidence in him, and show him we need him to step up now. For Carl, it's just a mental thing, and if he gets out of it, I expect him to get on a little hitting streak. If Carl gets hot, this team is going far.

With the exception of the few weeks Frank Thomas was active this year, Everett hasn't hit since 2003. And you think it's mental? I'll take physical.

DaleJRFan
09-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Pods
Iguchi
Crede
Konerko
Dye
AJ
Gload
Rowand
Uribe

Go with the hot hand... drop Crede in the 3-hole. Hell, it can't get any worse if Joe reverts to his old ways..

And of course, Everett = Benched

Baby Fisk
09-28-2005, 10:05 AM
22 Podsednik LF
15 Iguchi 2B
14 Konerko 1B
33 Rowand CF
23 Dye RF
12 Pierzynski C
44 Anderson DH
5 Uribe SS
24 Crede 3B
I like this one, but if Crede is unavailable it's time to get creative. That's right, so long Mr. Blum! In a move harkening to the days of zany former owner Bill Veeck, the Chicago White Sox today announced the signing of Robin Ventura to a fee-for-services contract and announced he would be the starting 3Bman for tonight's tilt in Detroit. Robin Ventura... YES! :bandance:

BeviBall!
09-28-2005, 10:15 AM
Pods LF
Gooch 2B
PK DH
Dye RF
AJ C
Crede 3B
Gload 1B
Rowand CF
Uribe SS

I can't take watching Carl strike out left-handed anymore. It's time for Gload, aka, someone who can put the ball in play.

Hangar18
09-28-2005, 10:24 AM
DH Podsednik
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
C Pierzynski
SS Uribe
CF Rowand
LF Anderson
3B Ozuna

Speed at the top and bottom of the order. We have a WAY better chance of AJ MAKING CONTACT at least batting behind Konerko. Ozuna gets on ......he can steal 2nd. Pods gets on .........he can bunt and beat out a hit, and rest on the bench.

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Truth is, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference how you order the lineup. Guys all up and down the order have had chances with RISP and not come through. I doubt shuffling them around will help.

The fact is, this is a below-average hitting team. This is not a recent development. Even through May and June when they were winning they were near the bottom of the league in team BA. But they were 5th or 6th in runs scored. That, IMO, is the essence of "Ozzieball". You get the most out of the hits you do get. Stealing bases and sacrificing moves runners into scoring position so it doesn't take 3 hits to get a run. Add in some timely hitting and you've got an effective offense. They're not doing any of those things now, and the run production has dropped off to where it would normally be with a weak-hitting team. Pre-all star they were 3rd in MLB in scoring runners from scoring position (44.2%). In September they're 22nd (37.3%).

Until they start playing the game the way they were, juggling the lineup is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

CHIsoxNation
09-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Pods

Go with the hot hand... drop Crede in the 3-hole. Hell, it can't get any worse if Joe reverts to his old ways..

And of course, Everett = Benched

I thought about this as well, but then you don't have anyone at the end of the lineup to hit. Crede and Uribe were carrying this team for a while. But Uribe has slowed off. Rowand hasn't been doing much and Gload could come off the bench a little rusty. I guess it can't be any worse than it is right now though.

Here is mine:

Pods
Uribe
Iguchi
Konerko
Dye
Rowand
AJ
Crede
Anderson (DH)

infohawk
09-28-2005, 10:31 AM
This is what I would probably do for tonight's game:

Podsednik
Harris
Uribe
Konerko
Pierzynski
Everett
Dye
Rowand
Crede/Ozuna

The pitcher the Tigers are starting tonight has been absolutely torched by lefties. That's why I would put Harris in the game. I'd also like to see Uribe in the three-hole.

Sad
09-28-2005, 10:35 AM
Until they start playing the game the way they were, juggling the lineup is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Ayup... couldn't agree more

DannyCaterFan
09-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I think it is time to think outside the box and make these changes for at least a day...

Pods- lf
Gooch-2b
Dye-RF
Paulie-1b
Crede-3b
AJ-Catcher
Borchard-DH
Uribe-SS
Harris-CF

I am sick of seeing Rowand ground out to the shortstop. He needs a break!:angry:

kevingrt
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Truth is, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference how you order the lineup. Guys all up and down the order have had chances with RISP and not come through. I doubt shuffling them around will help.

The fact is, this is a below-average hitting team. This is not a recent development. Even through May and June when they were winning they were near the bottom of the league in team BA. But they were 5th or 6th in runs scored. That, IMO, is the essence of "Ozzieball". You get the most out of the hits you do get. Stealing bases and sacrificing moves runners into scoring position so it doesn't take 3 hits to get a run. Add in some timely hitting and you've got an effective offense. They're not doing any of those things now, and the run production has dropped off to where it would normally be with a weak-hitting team. Pre-all star they were 3rd in MLB in scoring runners from scoring position (44.2%). In September they're 22nd (37.3%).

I think most of Sox army knows we have a below-average hitting squad, but we are not this far below average. I think maybe a little shuffle in teh lineup sparks some players and maybe we can get a 6-8 run game or something. I know we cna't do it every night, but versus guys liek Douglass, Roberson, and anyone on the Tigers we should be able to win when we only give up three runs.

harwar
09-28-2005, 10:46 AM
The same lineup that scored 8 runs on sept.2nd would do nicely.
But with the Oz you just never can tell,one of his kids might be in the lineup.
I had a captain like Ozzie years ago on a ship and this guy was nuts too.He decided that to save money we would overhaul(rip out)all of the steel piping on the deck while we were at sea instead of waiting until we were in dry dock.
Thank God the mate called ashore and got it stopped.

mdep524
09-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Gload 1B
Crede 3B

Make it so! I would be a big proponent of a line up like this for a few days. Let's face it, in the playoffs Ozzie isn't going to stray from the same line ups we've seen all season, and he's going to stick with struggling players like Marte, Everett and Rowand just because that's what Ozzie does. But for a few days, it would be refreshing to see this line up in action.

He gone
09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
Today's starting line-up will be:

2b Harris

ss Ozuna

Cf Anderson

DH Konerko

RF Bochard

C Casanova

1B Gload

LF Perez

3B Blum

:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I think most of Sox army knows we have a below-average hitting squad, but we are not this far below average. I think maybe a little shuffle in teh lineup sparks some players and maybe we can get a 6-8 run game or something. I know we cna't do it every night, but versus guys liek Douglass, Roberson, and anyone on the Tigers we should be able to win when we only give up three runs.I'd have to do a little digging, but I'd bet their team BA is not significantly lower than it's been all year. The value of batting order is WAY overrated. Either they get back to what worked earlier in the year or they won't. If they don't it won't make the slightest difference what order they bat in.

tlebar318
09-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I'd have to do a little digging, but I'd bet their team BA is not significantly lower than it's been all year. The value of batting order is WAY overrated. Either they get back to what worked earlier in the year or they won't. If they don't it won't make the slightest difference what order they bat in.

Didn't Billy Martin once have his team draw out of a hat to determine the batting order just to loosen things up? C'mon Ozzie give it a go! :D:

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Didn't Billy Martin once have his team draw out of a hat to determine the batting order just to loosen things up? C'mon Ozzie give it a go! :D:Yup. And there have been numerous studies that show that unless you do something patently dumb, like having Konerko leading off, it makes little difference how you order the lineup, and those small differences are likely to be observed only over a large number of games. For one game or a few games, picking the order out of a hat works about as well as anything.

dividedsk717
09-28-2005, 11:44 AM
W/ Crede:

LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
DH Everett
1B Konerko
RF Dye
3B Crede
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
SS Uribe

W/O Crede:

LF Podsednik
2B Iguchi
DH Everett
1B Konerko
RF Dye
CF Rowand
C Pierzynski
3B Ozuna
SS Uribe

I run the same lineup out there everyday the rest of the season and post season to give this team something consistent. The guys who are slumping really need to work it out ... and soon. I think they key will be to maximize the number of at bats to help them do it.

jshanahanjr
09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
I would lead off Konerko, so he could get the most AB's possible. Then go with Garland in the 2 hole, Politte 3 since he has the highest average in history, Contreras 4th, Freddie 5th(did you see him crushing the sunflower seeds left handed in the dugout?), Hawk 6th (I'm a dangerous hitter!), DJ 7th ( I have a plan up there.), Farmer 8th, and Ozzie 9th for old times sake.

TaylorStSox
09-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Pods LF
Iguchi DH
Dye RF
Konerko 1B
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Anderson CF
Harris 2B

DenverSock
09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Pods LF
Gooch 2B
PK 1B
Dye RF
Rowand CF
AJ C
Crede 3B
Carl DH
Uribe SS

kevingrt
09-28-2005, 12:28 PM
I'd have to do a little digging, but I'd bet their team BA is not significantly lower than it's been all year. The value of batting order is WAY overrated. Either they get back to what worked earlier in the year or they won't. If they don't it won't make the slightest difference what order they bat in.

I see your point, we aren't hitting clutch as of late. Look at all the games we should have won this past week and a half. I mean the only game that we really lost badly was Wednesday's game versus Elarton. I just think a little change in the lineup, may spark some guys, and maybe we might become clutch like we were in April, May, and June.

Jjav829
09-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Hmm....*thinking like Ozzie*...

CF Timo Perez
3B Pablo Ozuna
LF Timo Perez
2B Pablo Ozuna
RF Timo Perez
SS Pablo Ozuna
1B Timo Perez
C Pablo Ozuna
DH Freddy Garcia

:redneck

tlebar318
09-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Hmm....*thinking like Ozzie*...

CF Timo Perez
3B Pablo Ozuna
LF Timo Perez
2B Pablo Ozuna
RF Timo Perez
SS Pablo Ozuna
1B Timo Perez
C Pablo Ozuna
DH Freddy Garcia

:redneck

That's good! :D:

Domeshot17
09-28-2005, 12:48 PM
VS RHP

Pods DH
Iguchi 2b
Dye LF
Konerko 1b
AJ C
Crede 3b
Aaron CF
Anderson RF
Uribe SS

VS LHP

Pods LF
Iguchi 2b
Rowand CF (.303 .827 OPS vs LHP)
Konerko 1b
Uribe SS (.311 .867 OPS LHP)
Crede 3b
Dye RF
Widger C ( His 237 against lhp is 13 points higher than AJs 224 )
Ozuna DH (306 340 obp)

Keep Carl away from the lineup as much as possible, We need some guys to score some runs, Strikeouts a bigger Rally Killers than home runs

I will say, I very much toyed with the idea of hitting Pablo second and tadahito 3rd to provide some protection infront of PK. Anyone else get that frusterated feeling as he seems to come up to bat more and more leading off an inning.

Pablo doesnt walk very much, so his OBP is lower but he can create things with his speed, so if him and pods both got on, or one or the other, tada essentially acts as a 2 hitter hitting 3rd, gets more RBI chances, and Paulie Comes up with more men on base and sees better pitches with runners on.

soxfan26
09-28-2005, 01:09 PM
LF - Pods
SS - Uribe
2B - Iguchi
1B - Konerko
DH - Dye
C - AJ
CF - Rowand
RF - Anderson
3B - Ozuna

Taliesinrk
09-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Johnson, L. CF
Fox, N. 2B
Thomas, F. 1B
Minoso, M. DH
Jackson, J. RF <-- I know he played left for us, but had a history of playing
Ventura, R. 3B right too...
Fisk, C. C
Appling, L. SS
Podsednik, S. LF

MERPER
09-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Pods LF
Rowand CF
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Everett DH
Pierzynski C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 01:28 PM
I see your point, we aren't hitting clutch as of late. Look at all the games we should have won this past week and a half. I mean the only game that we really lost badly was Wednesday's game versus Elarton. I just think a little change in the lineup, may spark some guys, and maybe we might become clutch like we were in April, May, and June.No one has gotten hits when they needed them from ANYWHERE in the lineup. I don't see any reason to think shuffling them around will make the slightest difference.

In fact, the #3 spot has become kryptonite. So here's an idea. Why screw up a good hitter by batting him third? Put your WORST hitter there so at least there won't be so much of a dropoff when he grounds out 5 times.

He gone
09-28-2005, 02:13 PM
I would lead off Konerko, so he could get the most AB's possible. Then go with Garland in the 2 hole, Politte 3 since he has the highest average in history, Contreras 4th, Freddie 5th(did you see him crushing the sunflower seeds left handed in the dugout?), Hawk 6th (I'm a dangerous hitter!), DJ 7th ( I have a plan up there.), Farmer 8th, and Ozzie 9th for old times sake.

I like that line-up :D: I also like this one :D:
LF Rock Raines
2B Joey Cora
1B Greg Walker
RF Harold Baines
3B Bill Melton
DH Hawk
CF DJ
C Art Kusnyer / Man soo Lee ( I can't decide)
ss Ozzie

Palehose13
09-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I haven't read the thread yet. I didn't want any influence. This is how my line up would look:

Pods - LF
Iguchi - 2B
Crede - 3B
Konerko - DH
Dye - RF
AJ - C
Rowand - CF
Gload - 1B
Uribe - SS

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
LF Pods
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
CF Rowand
DH Gload
C AJ
3B Crede
SS Uribe

Palehose13
09-28-2005, 02:31 PM
LF Pods
2B Iguchi
RF Dye
1B Konerko
CF Rowand
DH Gload
C AJ
3B Crede
SS Uribe

Why DH Gload? He's better defensively than Konerko.

SoxSpeed22
09-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Why DH Gload? He's better defensively than Konerko.I did not know that.

antitwins13
09-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Pods-LF
Gooch-2B
Crede-3B
Konerko-1B
Dye-RF
Everett-DH
Rowand-CF
AJ- C
Uribe-SS

Mohoney
09-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Pods DH
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
AJ C
Rowand CF
Anderson LF
Crede 3B
Uribe 2B

Jenks4Pres
09-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Release Everett and Rowand now please!
Gload at 1rst Paulie-DH an Anderson in Center

RetireWoodys28
09-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Why isn't Gload getting a look or 2 in the 3 spot? He's hit .375, .500 OBP, .563 Slg in the few starts he's seen at #3.

I'd take anyone over Everett right now, even Borchard. It's gotten that bad.

ChiSoxRowand
09-28-2005, 03:55 PM
1. Podsednik
2. Iguchi
3. Dye
4. Konerko
5. Rowand
6. Crede
7. Borchard (DH)
8. Pierzynski
9. Uribe

pudge
09-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Podsednik LF
Uribe SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Anderson CF
Gload 1B
Crede 3B

Make it so!

I too was just thinking of Gooch as #3....

Pods
Rowand
Gooch
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Everett
Crede
Uribe

Alternatively, if Osuna is starting:

Pods
Osuna
Gooch
Konerko
AJ
Dye
Everett
Rowand
Uribe

Palehose13
09-28-2005, 04:14 PM
I considered Iguchi for #3, but decided to keep in the 2 hole becaue IMO no one else on the team handles a bat better.

Jjav829
09-28-2005, 04:21 PM
Why isn't Gload getting a look or 2 in the 3 spot? He's hit .375, .500 OBP, .563 Slg in the few starts he's seen at #3.

That's in about 20 plate appearances. I can guarantee you that Ross Gload wouldn't continue to put up those numbers.

Ross Gload, Chicago White Sox backup quarterback...

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
That's in about 20 plate appearances. I can guarantee you that Ross Gload wouldn't continue to put up those numbers.

Ross Gload, Chicago White Sox backup quarterback...Gload put up pretty good numbers in 234 AB last year. I'm pretty sure he could do as well as Everett. Come to think of it, a mannequin with a bat taped to its hands could do as well as Everett. At least he might draw a walk once in a while.

DaleJRFan
09-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Can PK hit more than once in the lineup???

Pods
Gooch
PK (batting for ARow)
PK
PK (batting for Dye)
PK (batting for AJ)
PK (batting for CC)
Crede
Uribe

Norberto7
09-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Ozuna DH
Podsednik LF
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Uribe SS
Crede 3B
Anderson CF

Why pigeonhole Podsednik in the leadoff spot? Ozuna has done a more aggressive, and better, job on the basepaths. Podsednik has been hitting the ball well, so maybe you would see a lot of first and thirds, no outs top of the first innings.

Kevbo
09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
1. Podsednik LF
2. Ozuna SS
3. Iguchi 2B
4. Konerko 1B
5. Dye RF
6. Pierzynski C
7. Gload DH
8. Rowand CF
9. Crede 3B

southsidesoxfan1
09-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Pods LF
Iguchi 2B
Everett DH
Konerko 1B
Rowand CF
Dye RF
AJ C
Crede 3B
Uribe SS

Keep the faith in Crazy Carl. The man's got one less rbi than Dye and has played in 12 less games. Carl's clutch, and he's due to turn it around.:bandance:

Ol' No. 2
09-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Read it and weep. From Reifort's blog:

Pods, LF ... Iguchi, 2B ... AJ, C ... PK, 1B ... Dye, RF ... Everett, DH ... Rowand, CF ... Ozuna, 3B ... Uribe, SS ... Contreras, RHP.

Huisj
09-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Ok, so Crede's not playing tonight, but when he does get back, why should he continue to hit 8th or 9th? He's clearly been the best hitter on the team recently, so why duck him down there so low where he's going to generally get 1 fewer plate appearance than the other guys? We need something, and Crede's been something lately, so why not try to get a little more out of him by moving him to 5th or 6th (or even third :o: he can play third and bat third).

I know it's crunch time, and it's a nice theory to stick with what has "worked" all season or earlier in the season or whatever, but it seems clear that that lineup isn't working, so try going to the hot bat for some help.

Optipessimism
09-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Pods LF
Ozuna DH
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Dye RF
Crede 3B
Uribe SS
Anderson CF
Pierzynski C