PDA

View Full Version : Clincher on TV (...if it takes a CLE loss)

downstairs
09-28-2005, 08:55 AM
If we win the next 2, and Cleveland loses the next 2... we clinch.

Now, we have a 1.05 game, and Cleveland 7.05. So it would be the somewhat depressing scenario of clinching on a loss (I'll take it!).

Will Comcast or other news stations follow this game somehow? At least go live to Detroit when it happens?

Just curious...

mike squires
09-28-2005, 08:57 AM
They are on FOX on Saturday, right? That would be a shame if Hawk had no part in the call if indeed it happends when the Sox are not on a local telecast.

downstairs
09-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Second question... will Detroit let them have a celebration 6 hours after their game there?

I'd kinda suck to have a bland news report, and have the players in a hotel bar or something...

kevingrt
09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Second question... will Detroit let them have a celebration 6 hours after their game there?

I'd kinda suck to have a bland news report, and have the players in a hotel bar or something...

I think the players in a bar is what they wil do. No way they will still be even at Detroit. They might find out when they land in Ohio or something. Would be an interesting scenario, but right now I just wanna get in. As does everyone else here I hope.

Deuce
09-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Technically, if the Sox win today and tomorrow and the Jndjans lose one more against TB, we won the division. If the Jndjans won every game till the end of the year after another loss against TB and two Sox wins, they would win the Wild Card and we would take the Division with a tied record.

So, the bar may be the best place to celebrate.

Kuzman
09-28-2005, 09:29 AM
So if this goes down to the last day and the White Sox win and the Tribe loses, but they win the WC at the same time... Does that mean both teams will be celebrating? If so that would be pretty wild, has that ever happened before? Both teams playing each other on the final day fighting for the division and the loser takes the WC?

Perhaps they can light a bonfire on the mound and sing koombiyah while rocking back in forth in each others arms.

I want Mags back
09-28-2005, 09:46 AM
the team will have flown to Cleveland and will watch the toons game from their hotel, CSN reported this morning

Goose
09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Technically, if the Sox win today and tomorrow and the Jndjans lose one more against TB, we won the division. If the Jndjans won every game till the end of the year after another loss against TB and two Sox wins, they would win the Wild Card and we would take the Division with a tied record.

So, the bar may be the best place to celebrate.

This is not the case, necessarily...the scenario you mentioned is only accurate IF the WC comes from ALCentral, and not the ALEast. If the WC comes from the East (that is, the 2nd place ALEast team, regardless if it is Bos or NY, has a better record than the Central's 2nd place team) then there would be a 1 game playoff for the Central Division Champs where the loser of that playoff will be making golf plans.

Deuce
09-28-2005, 11:16 AM
This is not the case, necessarily...the scenario you mentioned is only accurate IF the WC comes from ALCentral, and not the ALEast. If the WC comes from the East (that is, the 2nd place ALEast team, regardless if it is Bos or NY, has a better record than the Central's 2nd place team) then there would be a 1 game playoff for the Central Division Champs where the loser of that playoff will be making golf plans.

If the Jndjans lose one game with TB and the Sox win the next two and the Jndjans sweep the Sox, the Sox win the division and the Jndjans win the WC. Boston, NY and the Jndjans are tied for the WC. If Boston and NY win the next two games, they will then play each other for three games. With the best of the two winning the division, the other would have lost at least two putting them one game behind the Jndjans for the wild card.

Wow... now my brain hurts. :nuts:

Bee_Bee_Richard
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
The second place team in the East will have to lose at least two games (2 of the three in BOS this weekend, if BOS and NY both sweep the rest of this week's series). This would put the second place team behind what either the Sox or Clev could do as second place teams, provided the Sox win two more between now and Sunday.

Now, how about this: If the clincher does come Thursday night with a Cleveland loss to TB, the Sox are in town and in the stands, so they run on the field to celebrate. Now THAT would be surreal, plus have some kind of weird karmic Ligue connection.

Goose
09-28-2005, 11:45 AM
If the Jndjans lose one game with TB and the Sox win the next two and the Jndjans sweep the Sox, the Sox win the division and the Jndjans win the WC. Boston, NY and the Jndjans are tied for the WC. If Boston and NY win the next two games, they will then play each other for three games. With the best of the two winning the division, the other would have lost at least two putting them one game behind the Jndjans for the wild card.

Wow... now my brain hurts. :nuts:

Yes, mea culpa! I was wrong and you were right...

I will now proceed to chew on a fist full of Advil.

ChicagoHoosier
09-28-2005, 11:55 AM
Does this mean our magic number is actually 3, not 4? I guess technically it's not 3 because that 3 relies on 2 of the 3 games being wins by us, rather than losses by the Tribe.

I'm too nervous to count on us winning the next two to comment on where the celebration takes place.

harwar
09-28-2005, 11:55 AM
They are on FOX on Saturday, right? That would be a shame if Hawk had no part in the call if indeed it happends when the Sox are not on a local telecast.

I REALLY wish that fox hadn't grabbed that game as it was going to be on WGN and FSN-Ohio and i was going to tape both games,now i won't bother as fox is a joke.
Not to mention the fact that out of town viewers,such as myself,will have to sit throught the yankee-red sox game.

itsnotrequired
09-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Does this mean our magic number is actually 3, not 4? I guess technically it's not 3 because that 3 relies on 2 of the 3 games being wins by us, rather than losses by the Tribe.

Right on. The magic number is still technically 4 but three more Sox wins (regardless of opponent or the performance of other teams) and the Sox are a lock for the AL Central crown. If the Sox win only two more games, they are a lock for the Wild Card but if those two wins come against the Indians, then they are the champs.

Bottom line: Finish off Detroit and the Sox are a lock for some type of playoff spot. Then, win just one game in Cleveland and the Sox will be the AL Central champs.

TheOldRoman
09-28-2005, 12:46 PM
So if this goes down to the last day and the White Sox win and the Tribe loses, but they win the WC at the same time... Does that mean both teams will be celebrating? If so that would be pretty wild, has that ever happened before? Both teams playing each other on the final day fighting for the division and the loser takes the WC?

Perhaps they can light a bonfire on the mound and sing koombiyah while rocking back in forth in each others arms.
I dont know, but in 2000 the Twins celebrated a walk off while the Sox celebrated their division championship due to the Royals beating Cleveland.

Hokiesox
09-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Now, how about this: If the clincher does come Thursday night with a Cleveland loss to TB, the Sox are in town and in the stands, so they run on the field to celebrate. Now THAT would be surreal, plus have some kind of weird karmic Ligue connection.

That sounds like the best idea to me.