PDA

View Full Version : Exactly what I said last night....

MERPER
09-28-2005, 12:15 AM
I mentioned last night on this board that if Sox wrap up payoff berth via wild card before Cleveland series it wouldn't be bad for Ozzie to do this and accept wild card position....

Looks like I have a supporter in that theory:

Good Cubune column... CLICK ME (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050927rogers,1,6397487.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

:gulp:

09-28-2005, 12:21 AM
Wild card is fine with me....here are our options

1. Win the Central- Wondferful

2. Win the Wild Card and make the Playoffs- Great

3. Blow both and have to listen to it for the rest of our lives!! - FLATLINE

HotelWhiteSox
09-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Play to win, and let everything else unfold. The way this team has been streaky lately and seemed to be affected by losses, I wouldn't want them to purposely lose or fall into the playoffs. And I don't care who we play, bring em all on, if you can't beat your opponent, you don't deserve to win or be in the World Series.

ilsox7
09-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Good Cubune column... CLICK ME (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050927rogers,1,6397487.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an oxymoron.

MarySwiss
09-28-2005, 12:42 AM
Re: "Good Cubune column"

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you an oxymoron.

:rolling:

kevingrt
09-28-2005, 01:34 AM
Play to win, and let everything else unfold. The way this team has been streaky lately and seemed to be affected by losses, I wouldn't want them to purposely lose or fall into the playoffs. And I don't care who we play, bring em all on, if you can't beat your opponent, you don't deserve to win or be in the World Series.

Very true... Really I think the players should be worried about whats happening on their field. I mean yeah after the game take a look at the score. But if we win, good thigns will happen, we shouldn't have to rely on the Yanks, BoSox, and the Injuns losing to make the playoffs.

rdwj
09-28-2005, 08:39 AM
The White Sox really are out of touch with their fans

Typical start - and not really a great article. Ya, WC is better than nothing, but I don't think there is a good case to be made for giving up home field.

Johnny Mostil
09-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Perhaps most accurate graf in article?

>>

Wild card or division champ? Not many people outside of Chicago are going to remember two or three weeks from now.

<<

Hokiesox
09-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Typical start - and not really a great article. Ya, WC is better than nothing, but I don't think there is a good case to be made for giving up home field.

The White Sox have a better road record. That's the "reasoning" flawed or not...

DSpivack
09-28-2005, 09:54 AM
It's not like you try and win one way for the wild card and another for the division. You just go out there and try to win. All they have to do is win and they are in, no worrying of any Tampa Bay Devil Rays or whomever is playing those eastern teams.

BeviBall!
09-28-2005, 10:12 AM
I love the WC for matchups... I hate the WC because we had a 15 game lead.

All things being even, I feel the Sox would do best by opening up on the road. Last thing we want is 2000 where we lost a heartbreaker at home and packed it in for the rest of the series.

Cellview22
09-28-2005, 10:13 AM

If the Sox give up home field advantage and end up playing games 1 and 2 in Yankee Stadium, or Fenway, I like our chances of taking one or two of those even more than having to win games 1 and 2 at home against the Angels.

I would love to win the ALDS at home a week from Saturday against the Yankees, taking the series 3-1. Can you imagine the crowd at the Cell?! But chances are we'll be hosting the Angels, and I just hope our offense is clicking in games and 1 and 2.

Iwritecode
09-28-2005, 11:01 AM
If the Sox go into Cleveland with the WC wrapped up and only needing one game to clinch the division I hope they do it.

How demoralizing would it be to watch the Indians celebrate on their home field when the Sox were the division leaders the entire rest of the season?

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Perhaps most accurate graf in article?

>>

Wild card or division champ? Not many people outside of Chicago are going to remember two or three weeks from now.

<<

Except for all the mediots. They'll never let it go.

Clarkdog
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
You could see the pressure the Sox were under last night. They were all pressing.

But then every team the White Sox had to deal with lost last night as well. That remarkable event - and dare I say divine - may have now alleviated that pressure. The Sox now only have to win one more game to assure themselves a play-in for the Wild Card, and two to win the wild card outright. And if one of those wins happens in Cleveland, you are guaranteed no less than a tie for the division.

2 games out of the next 5.

Put in those terms and in comparison to the Yankees, Red Sox and Indians who really must win every remaining game they play - The Sox should be playing much looser today than they did last night. The Sox certainly need to win, but it's not that every game for them is a must win. Unless they lose another 3 straight. Then I'd start panicing.

At this point, it's about getting to October. For pride, I'd love to win the division - but I'll take the post-season any way it can come. The only teams that can win the World Series still have to qualify for the playoffs.

If the Sox win these next two in Detroit - I have no doubt they win the division. This is because they know they are in, and all the pressure would be in the other dugout.

Johnny Mostil
09-28-2005, 11:43 AM
If the Sox go into Cleveland with the WC wrapped up and only needing one game to clinch the division I hope they do it.

How demoralizing would it be to watch the Indians celebrate on their home field when the Sox were the division leaders the entire rest of the season?

Almost as demoralizing as it would be to lose in the ALCS to the team you celebrated in front of?

Johnny Mostil
09-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Except for all the mediots. They'll never let it go.

True, but that's why I get nearly all my Sox news at WSI.:cool:

Iwritecode
09-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Almost as demoralizing as it would be to lose in the ALCS to the team you celebrated in front of?

I like your way of thinking. :D:

How about we just demoralize the **** out of them by celebrating a ALC championship on their field and then later celebrate a trip to the WS on their field? :wink:

Johnny Mostil
09-28-2005, 11:54 AM
How about we just demoralize the **** out of them by celebrating a ALC championship on their field and then later celebrate a trip to the WS on their field? :wink:

Damn straight. Don't want them to think there's hope for '06 . . .

Seriously, I wonder how much either team would celebrate in Cleveland given the teams could meet yet again. Payback can be, um, a vicious cur . . .

kitekrazy
09-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Well I thought they would have a win by now against the lowly Tigers. I'm not sure we should put the cart before the horse.

chopperjc
09-28-2005, 12:09 PM
Wild card is fine with me....here are our options

1. Win the Central- Wondferful

2. Win the Wild Card and make the Playoffs- Great

3. Blow both and have to listen to it for the rest of our lives!! - FLATLINE

Great post!!!!!!! I believe this says it all!

Muopsies
09-28-2005, 02:04 PM
It's not like you try and win one way for the wild card and another for the division. You just go out there and try to win. All they have to do is win and they are in, no worrying of any Tampa Bay Devil Rays or whomever is playing those eastern teams.

Exactly. Winning is the best route to the playoffs. Now only if the Sox could get their heads out of their collective rears' and do it, we'd be set. They do what Al Davis says and "Just Win, Baby"