PDA

View Full Version : The mindset of Cleveland, NYY and Boston fans

cheeses_h_rice
09-27-2005, 11:01 PM
I was just musing on what must be going through the heads of the fans of the other 3 teams duking it out with the White Sox for the 3 playoff spots coming out of the ALs Central and East, and the Wild Card.

-if you're an Indians fan, you probably don't have much hope of winning the AL Central. For that to happen, you'd have to hope the Indians win the next 2 games, and the White Sox lose both of them, and the Indians take 2 of 3 in Cleveland. Your odds are much better for the Wild Card, and even then you'd almost have to win the next 2 games against Tampa Bay.

-if you're a Yankees or Red Sox fan, your chances are much better for the division title. Which means playing well the next 2 games and then winning 2 of 3 at least in the final weekend series.

Whereas if you're a White Sox fan, 1 win guarantees at least a tie for the WC, 2 wins guarantees at least the WC, and 2 of 3 in Cleveland guarantees the division.

Tonight's Sox game sucked, but we're actually in better position than we were before the day started. I find that amazing.

Mr. White Sox
09-27-2005, 11:03 PM
I was just musing on what must be going through the heads of the fans of the other 3 teams duking it out with the White Sox for the 3 playoff spots coming out of the ALs Central and East, and the Wild Card.

-if you're an Indians fan, you probably don't have much hope of winning the AL Central. For that to happen, you'd have to hope the Indians win the next 2 games, and the White Sox lose both of them, and the Indians take 2 of 3 in Cleveland. Your odds are much better for the Wild Card, and even then you'd almost have to win the next 2 games against Tampa Bay.

-if you're a Yankees or Red Sox fan, your chances are much better for the division title. Which means playing well the next 2 games and then winning 2 of 3 at least in the final weekend series.

Whereas if you're a White Sox fan, 1 win guarantees at least a tie for the WC, 2 wins guarantees at least the WC, and 2 of 3 in Cleveland guarantees the division.

Tonight's Sox game sucked, but we're actually in better position than we were before the day started. I find that amazing.

Yeah, I just got an AIM from a Boston fan saying the White Sox are in trouble for the #1 playoff seed. Um, excuse me Boston fan, but you're in trouble for the #anything playoff seed!

itsnotrequired
09-27-2005, 11:06 PM

Just think of how amazing it would be if the Sox had won! Already a tie for at least the WC, 1 win to lock up at least the WC and only 1 out of 3 in Cleveland to clinch (provided the Sox won one more in Detroit).

Ah, to go back to the 8th inning...:(:

MarySwiss
09-27-2005, 11:47 PM

Cheeses, you are right. It's totally amazing but also true. Basically what happened was this: everybody lost so nothing changed--except there's one fewer game to play!

True, it would've been nice to have won, but all things considered, I'll take it!

:bandance:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Cheeses, the explanation is as simple as this: there are virtually no games left.

You simply can't get much accomplished in 5 games. When you waste an entire day's worth of games to get something done -- like Cleveland, New York, and Boston did yesterday -- the odds against getting something accomplished become even greater.

The White Sox are leading all of these teams -- not because of a 5-day sprint but because of a 6-month marathon 162 games long. The Sox have EARNED their spot like no other champion team ever could from the NBA or NHL, forget about the NFL.

Whatever lead the Sox might hold becomes worth absolutely nothing the morning of October 4. Everybody's record goes back to 0-0. That's why using the lead makes perfect sense. It's a cushion the Sox have earned because they showed up to play when the games mattered -- not just in September, but April, May and June, too.

:cool:

Fenway
09-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Last night the only team that actually had good news was the White Sox ( with Cleveland losing ) and it takes another game off the schedule.

The mood in Boston is grim but with Cleveland losing 2 in a row the wild card insurance policy looks a little better.

But the mood in Boston and NY is tense
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/rah-rah-sox_BDD.jpg (http://www.frankgalasso.com/)
http://www.nypost.com/img/back092805.gif (http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml)http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/632-0928bigback.jpghttp://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/645469_sports09282005.jpg

Deuce
09-28-2005, 10:46 AM
Cheeses, the explanation is as simple as this: there are virtually no games left.

You simply can't get much accomplished in 5 games. When you waste an entire day's worth of games to get something done -- like Cleveland, New York, and Boston did yesterday -- the odds against getting something accomplished become even greater.

The White Sox are leading all of these teams -- not because of a 5-day sprint but because of a 6-month marathon 162 games long. The Sox have EARNED their spot like no other champion team ever could from the NBA or NHL, forget about the NFL.

Whatever lead the Sox might hold becomes worth absolutely nothing the morning of October 4. Everybody's record goes back to 0-0. That's why using the lead makes perfect sense. It's a cushion the Sox have earned because they showed up to play when the games mattered -- not just in September, but April, May and June, too.

:cool:

Post of the Year!!!

Paulwny
09-28-2005, 10:54 AM
One fear shared by Red Sox and Yankmee fans, mentioned on the Mike and Mad Dog show (WFAN/YES Net), ~ If the White Sox clinch the div title on Fri or Sat Cleveland will win the next game due to the Sox not being in good condition for that game. The sox will be partying all night long, give the next day's game to Cleveland.

tlebar318
09-28-2005, 10:58 AM
One fear shared by Red Sox and Yankmee fans, mentioned on the Mike and Mad Dog show (WFAN/YES Net), ~ If the White Sox clinch the div title on Fri or Sat Cleveland will win the next game due to the Sox not being in good condition for that game. The sox will be partying all night long, give the next day's game to Cleveland.

What a shame for the fans of Boston and New York if that were to happen! :D:

maurice
09-28-2005, 11:33 AM
:threadrules:

It's hard to be happy with our play of late, but I use a football analogy. The Sox put together a big lead early in the game, and now we're just running out the clock. We may be punting a lot, but so are the other 3 teams.

Frater Perdurabo
09-28-2005, 11:54 AM
It's hard to be happy with our play of late, but I use a football analogy. The Sox put together a big lead early in the game, and now we're just running out the clock. We may be punting a lot, but so are the other 3 teams.

We just need to get a first down... :D:

Iwritecode
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM

Well, that and the fact that the lineup will more than likely include all the following players:

Harris
Anderson
Borchard
Gload
Perez
Ozuna
Blum
Widger

Stroker Ace
09-28-2005, 02:05 PM
My roomate is a Yankee fan, and this combined with Chad Pennington's injury, is about to go insane. I'm getting paid $20 to text message him the scores of the Yankee game every 15 min.

Fenway
09-29-2005, 10:28 AM
Panic time in Beantown :(:

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/09/29/1127994683_2494.jpg (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/09/29/playing_head_games_can_be_a_brain_drain)

Now last night the marketing department got cute and asked someone to throw out the first ball.....this is a real picture ( even the Cubs wouldn't do this )
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/09/29/1128000003_5669.jpg

Idiot radio calling for Francoma's head ( hello Lou Pinella?), Schilling is depressed. Come right down to it, we will need the White Sox to help us get in.:?:

bostondirtdogs.com

Curt Schilling on WEEI's Dennis and Callahan show

Gerry Callahan: You always struck me as a guy who was thick skinned and can handle criticism. I was surprised by how much this anonymous teammate affected you.

Curt Schilling: "I think the reason you were surprised was because I think (because of) the editor of the newspaper and a lot of other people, this got taken to be much, much more than it was, than it was intended to be. The gist of the interview, the article that I did with Bob (Hohler) was kind of a look back on the season, how rough itís been and in the manner of a 15-minute interview, this conversation on this topic lasted about 45 seconds. It really was not and is not the issue itís being made out to be in my mind. This kind of sniping and back office kind of talk stuff goes on in every place in America, the clubhouse even more so. Itís something that came about, something I found out about, something obviously I donít think anybody would feel good about it.

"But it kind of ends there. I didnít go out to the mound or get ready for yesterdayís game with this in the forefront of my mind and having an effect on me, it happens. And itís something I wasnít happy about but unfortunately it got made out to be a much, much larger issue than it is to me."

On whether Curt knows who made the negative comments

CS: "I know (who it is) yeah, and I said that. I thought the article (said that). Iím not going to elaborate on that (if heís still in the clubhouse) part of it because it doesnít do anybody any good. It smacks of New York media trying to dig under that part of it. No (he hasnít talked to him about it). He knows I know. Itís done. Itís a done deal. It was said. I commented on how I felt about what was said and I moved on. Unfortunately no one else has moved on.

"Itís hard to elaborate on this one (understanding why he gets a ďfree passĒ) becauseÖ weíve talked about this all year long. Iím in that clubhouse, Iím a part of that team. I see how fans reactions affect my teammates. And again, Iím incredibly appreciative of the fact that Iíve been given one. I certainly didnít expect or feel like I deserved it based on how I performed this year. But obviously Iím a lot happier not being booed than if I am. Iím no more or less responsible than Mark Bellhorn who hit three home runs in three consecutive games or Keith Foulke who, as Iíve said in the past, was the MVP of that postseason. Unfortunately off the field, the people that write and talk about what we did, a lot more emphasis was placed on some things that happened in the postseason than others. And I feel good about the fact that Iím not getting my ass booed off the field Ďcause Lord knows Iíve deserved it. But itís a tough situation. Iíve already spent a lot more time talking about it than I have been thinking about it the last couple of days. Itís something thatís happened, itís done, and Iíve got to move on."

Tekijawa
09-29-2005, 03:08 PM
http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/7536/ajsig1gc.jpgHas this been turned into a T-Shirt yet? I want one!

Iwritecode
09-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Panic time in Beantown :(:

Come right down to it, we will need the White Sox to help us get in.:?:

Start praying because I don't know how many starters Ozzie will be using this weekend.

SOXfnNlansing
09-29-2005, 07:45 PM
This is the perfect weekend to troll over on red sox sites just like the weekend of July 21st was perfect for the wsi trolls:bandance: ....... see ya in spring training