PDA

View Full Version : Giambi a Yankee

Jerry_Manuel
12-06-2001, 02:33 PM
NEW YORK -- Jason Giambi will indeed be a New York Yankee next season. And for the next six after that.

Giambi has agreed to a seven-year, $128 million contract with the Yankees, according to ESPN's Dan Patrick, who made the announcement on his daily ESPN Radio show. The Yankees have yet to comment.

The Oakland A's, Giambi's team since he came to the major leagues in 1995, also have made no comment.

ESPN's Peter Gammons reports that Giambi has yet to take a physical with the Yankees, so the deal will not be finalized until then.

Yankees manager Joe Torre called Giambi in recent weeks in hopes of luring him to New York. This past season, the 2000 American League Most Valuable Player batted .342 with 38 home runs, 120 RBI and a league-leading 129 walks

He was second in the 2001 MVP balloting to Seattle's Ichiro Suzuki.

Last year, Torre made a call to right-hander Mike Mussina, who left the Baltimore Orioles for a six-year, $88.5 million deal and went 17-11 with a 3.15 ERA.

First baseman Tino Martinez, one of four Yankees starters that has been with the club since Torre took over, is a free agent. Torre also called Martinez to let him know the team is pursuing Giambi.

On Wednesday, Torre put his signature on a new three-year contract worth over $16 million.

Giambi has told Torre he wants to play first base, not designated hitter. According to an AL scout, the Yankees think of Giambi as an average first baseman. Torre told New York reporters he would try Giambi at first base, but Oakland manager Art Howe told a newspaper he thinks the Yankees may have something else planned.

"I've heard rumors that the Yankees are looking at him as a DH, not a first baseman," Howe said. "Whether they tell him that or not is another story."

The Yankees, according to the New York Post, even trotted out Hall of Famer Yogi Berra to contact Giambi with his own sales pitch for the Yankees.

"I told him to come to the Yankees," Berra told the Post. "I met him at the Bob Hope Classic last year and he is a good kid. He can help the Yankees. I told him that the right-field fence at the Stadium is a lot shorter than the one in Oakland."

Since losing the World Series in seven games to Arizona, right fielder Paul O'Neill, third baseman Scott Brosius and backup infielder Luis Sojo have retired.

Meanwhile, the Yankees are on the verge of signing reliever Steve Karsay to a four-year contract and reports continue to circulate of their attempt to bring in outfielder Moises Alou.

Where will this money come from? The Yankees payroll is $23.75 million less than it was last season, thanks to getting rid of the contracts of Martinez, O'Neill, Brosius and Chuck Knoblauch.

The second player doesn't necessarily have to be Alou. The Yankees are known to have inquired about virtually every major free agent, including everyone from Juan Gonzalez to Roger Cedeno.

As for third base, Torre seems comfortable with Drew Henson taking over sometime next season. Henson, Michigan's quarterback before he rejoined the Yankees last March, struggled at Triple-A as he recovered from a broken hand.

Paulwny
12-06-2001, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The second player doesn't necessarily have to be Alou. The Yankees are known to have inquired about virtually every major free agent, including everyone from Juan Gonzalez to Roger Cedeno.

Must be nice !!!!

NUCatsFan
12-06-2001, 02:38 PM
And the rich get richer

Foulke You
12-06-2001, 02:48 PM
UGH! The Yanks don't know what "rebuild" means. They simply just reload. Yankee mystique= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ma-gaga
12-06-2001, 03:44 PM
That sucks, in a major way. Yeah, there is something wrong with this league, where the Yankees can sign ANY major free agent, and there is no way of stopping it. .... I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it.

Can anyone help me out here? What's wrong with this?

RedPinStripes
12-06-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
UGH! The Yanks don't know what "rebuild" means. They simply just reload. Yankee mystique= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You got that right.

WinningUgly!
12-06-2001, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

The Yankees stay so far ahead of the rest of the pack of championship contenders every year, because not only do they sign the best available free agents, they keep taking them from some of the other top teams in baseball. It looks like Oakland's losing Giambi & Atlanta's losing Karsay to them already. With a decent chance of New York signing Juan Gonzalez & Moises Alou away from Cleveland & Houston.

Yankee fans-"Our team's better than yours, & if you get close, we'll buy away your best players!"

The same thing happens every offseason! Why does it still piss me off so much? Just wait untill they sign Maggs or Buehrle in a few years!

FarWestChicago
12-06-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
The same thing happens every offseason! Why does it still piss me off so much? Just wait untill they sign Maggs or Buehrle in a few years! Yikes!! I forgot about that. The better Burly-Mon gets, the sooner he will be a Skank. :(:

WinningUgly!
12-06-2001, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Yikes!! I forgot about that. The better Burly-Mon gets, the sooner he will be a Skank. :(:

It sucks, but it's probably true. We all know how :reinsy hates signing starting pitchers to long term deals. :(:

Daver
12-06-2001, 09:23 PM
According to the Yankee books George BARELY turned a profit last year,so by signing Giambi they must have set themselves up to lose money next year.

But then again what the hell do I know?

WinningUgly!
12-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
According to the Yankee books George BARELY turned a profit last year,so by signing Giambi they must have set themselves up to lose money next year.

But then again what the hell do I know?

I'd say there's more fiction in the Yankee books than Harry Potter.

CubKilla
12-06-2001, 10:44 PM
While the Yankees reload, all the White Sox do is sit on their hands, shrug their shoulders, and exclaim, "Oh well." The only signing the White Sox have made is resigning Ramirez. Pass me a beer..... It's time to get crunked up! Good to know that the probability of the White Sox getting to the 2002 WS by BEATING the Yankees is now slim and none. Maybe the Yankees will get hit by the injury bug cause watch out if this line-up is 100% healthy. :gulp: