PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on KW trading JB

Iwritecode
07-27-2001, 10:58 AM
OK, Iíve read a lot of the posts on here about the trade. Seems that most arenít too unhappy about losing JB, just the crap we got back for him. I wonít argue that point. Just this moron thatís saying KW is giving up. There is some idiot on the radio here where I work. I have no idea who he is or what radio station it is. (Itís a country station if that tells you anything.) I guess he was reporting the news or something, and he was talking about KW trading JB. He said KW is giving up on the season. That he thinks KW doesn't think this team can pass Minnesota, Cleveland and Boston. Then he goes and talks about how Jimmy Williams went through major surgery and is leading his team to a possible playoff spot. This guy obviously knows nothing about baseball or the Sox. Seeing as JB is a FA at the end of the year and probably won't be resigned we were better off trading him now. He's a great clubhouse leader and a pretty good pitcher but obviously not one of the guys that's going to lead us to a division title. Plus with all the young pitchers coming up he would really have to battle for a spot next year. As far as catching any of the other teams, it's amazing that the Sox are at .500 right now. We are currently 6 - 5 vs. Cleveland, 2 - 11 vs. Minn. and 2 - 1 vs. Boston. Those aren't exactly encouraging head-to-head records against teams we are trying to catch. Especially when we're 8 games back. We still have 8 games against Cleveland, 6 against Minnesota, and 3 starting tonight against Boston. So it's possible to make up some ground on these three teams. Although, as past records indicate, not likely. So I really can't blame KW for making this trade. He's not completely sacrificing this season and still looking ahead to next season. Something this moron on the radio can't seem to understand. If we came in and swept Cleveland and were at least .500 against the Twins then this trade might be a little more questionable, though not too much. I still have no idea where Jimmy Williams surgery fits into all this... Anyway, that's my little rant. Now let's go beat Boston!! :)

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 11:05 AM
I wonít argue that point. Just this moron thatís saying KW is giving up. There is some idiot on the radio here where I work.

What the local media are idiots? Well this comes as news to me
:)

The question you must ask is with the season pretty much lost would you rather trot JB out there or would you rather get a look at Garland and Wright? I like number two as PHG has said before 2002 Spring Training is starting early.

Paulwny
07-27-2001, 11:07 AM
I agree that JB would leave at the end of the season but he was traded for players who probably will never see the ml. JR's message is obvious, we can't make the play-offs, dump payroll.

cheeses_h_rice
07-27-2001, 11:16 AM
Are you guys nuts? Do you think James Baldwin would have given this team anything other than wishy-washy, sometimes-good, sometimes-awful pitching the rest of the year? You might as well have flipped a coin when he was pitching to see if the Sox were going to win that day.

K. Wells, Buehrle, Garland, Lowe, Glover/Biddle can do just as "good" a job as JB. Let's go with the kids we have, and see what happens. With JB, I just never, EVER felt confident that we would win that day.

Chisox353014
07-27-2001, 11:41 AM
I have three issues with this trade, in order of severity:
1. The absolutely inexcusable mistake of mixing up the names of the players. From a PR standpoint this is a nightmare, and it makes the entire organization appear incompetent.
2. We couldn't get anything better than that for a solid 4th or 5th starter? Stiffs like Steve Trachsel were bringing more at the deadline last year. And not a CF, C, or SS prospect in the bunch either.
3. I actually liked JB, and despite knowing he probably wouldn't be here next year, it's sad to see him go. His presence in the clubhouse will be missed.

That being said, the future has arrived. We will now see if the organization's fabled pitching depth is real or not. It will be interesting to watch the youngsters develop, although I think we're in for quite a few patience-testing moments in the near future as they do. Although I wouldn't say this is White Flag 2 or anything, it's hard to argue that this trade makes us better right now, this year. Unless Wright comes up and pitches lights out, this puts a strain on an already too thin bullpen and leaves our starting rotation a little too green to actually compete this year. I've pretty much accepted that this isn't our year, so I can't fault KW for making this move. I just wish it had been handled better and we had gotten something we could use right now.

Iwritecode
07-27-2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
I've pretty much accepted that this isn't our year, so I can't fault KW for making this move. I just wish it had been handled better and we had gotten something we could use right now.

Exactly the point I was trying to make. We always want to hold out hope that we can still come back, but with the way things are going, we just can't plan on it. So do the next best thing, start planning for the future. I don't see this as "white flag 2". We should be back were we belong by next year.

Paulwny
07-27-2001, 12:09 PM
I have nothing against trading JB but we gave him away for nothing.Get at least one positional player with potential. More minor league pitchers and a no potential OF is the last thing we needed.