PDA

View Full Version : Sunday against Cleveland

Frater Perdurabo
09-27-2005, 11:38 AM
With last night's unexpected loss to the Tigers, it's at least possible that Sunday's game against Cleveland could decide who wins the division and who takes the Wild Card. Currently McCarthy is scheduled to start. He certainly has earned his keep and a spot on the postseason roster.

El Duque has not performed up to expectations this year, although we can't underestimate his value to the Sox early in the season, given how much the Sox have missed having a legitimate #5 starter for many years. Also, each time El Duque has come back from a DL stint this year, he's performed well before regressing in subsequent starts.

Right now he's rested.

Given the fact that all the other Sox starters will pitch through Saturday, if the Sunday game against Cleveland is to decide who wins the division, might it be at least be worthwhile to consider starting El Duque, with McCarthy warmed up in the pen and ready to come in at the first sign of trouble (walk, hard hit ball, etc.)?

If the Sox got just three innings from El Duque, McCarthy could pitch six strong innings to close out the game. Even if El Duque only got through two, McCarthy still could take the game into the ninth and perhaps close it out or hand the ball over to Jenks or Hermanson.

This would keep the other starters on normal rest for the playoffs and give most of the bullpen a rest as well.

Discuss (and please refrain from the troll-ish idiocy of knee-jerk insults)...

BeviBall!
09-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Trib said, in not as certain words, that if it came down to Sunday, McCarthy would not start.

If we're already in the playoffs then, I say why not? I almost feel it would benefit us to open up on the road anyway.

Ol' No. 2
09-27-2005, 11:42 AM
With last night's unexpected loss to the Tigers, it's at least possible that Sunday's game against Cleveland could decide who wins the division and who takes the Wild Card. Currently McCarthy is scheduled to start. He certainly has earned his keep and a spot on the postseason roster.

El Duque has not performed up to expectations this year, although we can't underestimate his value to the Sox early in the season, given how much the Sox have missed having a legitimate #5 starter for many years. Also, each time El Duque has come back from a DL stint this year, he's performed well before regressing in subsequent starts.

Right now he's rested.

Given the fact that all the other Sox starters will pitch through Saturday, if the Sunday game against Cleveland is to decide who wins the division, might it be at least be worthwhile to consider starting El Duque, with McCarthy warmed up in the pen and ready to come in at the first sign of trouble (walk, hard hit ball, etc.)?

If the Sox got just three innings from El Duque, McCarthy could pitch six strong innings to close out the game. Even if El Duque only got through two, McCarthy still could take the game into the ninth and perhaps close it out or hand the ball over to Jenks or Hermanson.

This would keep the other starters on normal rest for the playoffs and give most of the bullpen a rest as well.

Discuss (and please refrain from the troll-ish idiocy of knee-jerk insults)...Normally, when Hernandez implodes, it's in the first inning or two, so I'm not wild about starting him with the idea of having McCarthy as backup. If Hernandez is not on, it's likely to be too late by the time they can get him out of there. I thought I read that starting Contreras on short rest was a possibility. Sunday seems soooo far away right now.

DaveIsHere
09-27-2005, 11:43 AM
If it come down to Sunday, Ozzie said he would start Contreras.

DenverSock
09-27-2005, 11:46 AM

Right now he's rested.

But my solution is different. What I'd do is start McCarthy, use El Duque for Middle relief. Watch his pitch count closely and remove him at the merest hint of trouble.

CHIsoxNation
09-27-2005, 11:55 AM

I also heard this.

Hangar18
09-27-2005, 12:38 PM
I love how you just automatically assume it's coming down to Sunday's game now.

The title of this thread is called "Sunday in Cleveland", the idea being WHAT IF
it came down to that last game, who should start. I say BMAC

DenverSock
09-27-2005, 01:20 PM
He has proved his worth and deserves the start and a spot in the Playoff rotation. By the same token, he's still a rookie and you need to have a few of the relievers ready to take over in case he gets in trouble. The question becomes, who is ready, how early will you take him out of the game, and what to do if we've already clinched a playoff berth via the Wild Card, but the Division is still up for grabs. Clearly choices are more obvious and starker if we face total elimination on Sunday which is a remote possibility.

DenverSock
09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
He has proved his worth and deserves the start and a spot in the Playoff rotation. By the same token, he's still a rookie and you need to have a few of the relievers ready to take over in case he gets in trouble. The question becomes, who is ready, how early will you take him out of the game, and what to do if we've already clinched a playoff berth via the Wild Card, but the Division is still up for grabs. Clearly choices are more obvious and starker if we face total elimination on Sunday which is a remote possibility.

I obviously believe we shall clinch the division before Sunday.

JB98
09-27-2005, 01:59 PM

And that's the proper move. I think we'll have it in the bag before Sunday, but if for some reason we don't, Contreras gets the ball. He's been our best pitcher since the All-Star break.

rdwj
09-27-2005, 02:08 PM
...Contreras gets the ball.

I know it's the right thing to do, but that REALLY makes me nervous. Come to think of it, any of our guys in that situation would make me nervous.

sas1974
09-27-2005, 02:10 PM

From today's ST:
TEAM EFFORT: Guillen said he has a plan that would allow Contreras to start the final game of the season on three days' rest if it has playoff implications for the Sox. As of now, that spot would fall to Brandon McCarthy.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug27.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug27.html)

Ol' No. 2
09-27-2005, 02:11 PM
I know it's the right thing to do, but that REALLY makes me nervous. Come to think of it, any of our guys in that situation would make me nervous.If you're going to sweat, there's plenty to sweat over in today's game. No point in getting worked up a week in advance over something that may never happen.

rdwj
09-27-2005, 02:14 PM
If you're going to sweat, there's plenty to sweat over in today's game. No point in getting worked up a week in advance over something that may never happen.

Ya, I know - for some reason, I'm still pretty calm. Two games still seems like a nice lead with what's left of the season.

kobo
09-27-2005, 02:25 PM
I know it's the right thing to do, but that REALLY makes me nervous. Come to think of it, any of our guys in that situation would make me nervous.
If you feel that way about our starters, then how are you going to feel when we get to the playoffs and play a potential series clinching game?

rdwj
09-27-2005, 02:33 PM
If you feel that way about our starters, then how are you going to feel when we get to the playoffs and play a potential series clinching game?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still fairly confident - but I still get nervous about EVERY single game - regular season or playoffs.

I'm hoping the playoffs won't be as bad since we'll be past the whole possible choke thing, but I kinda doubt it.