PDA

View Full Version : MLBPA counter-offer on drug testing

Ol' No. 2
09-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Surprise!!! It's weaker than what Selig wanted.
Selig asked for penalties of 50 games, 100 games and a lifetime ban the first three times a Major League player on the 40-man roster of each club tests positive for an extensive list of performance-enhancing drugs and amphetamines. The union has countered with a proposal of 20 games for the first offense, 75 games for a second offense and arbitration to determine whether Selig can ban a player for life on a third offense.

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050926&content_id=1224978&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

wilburaga
09-27-2005, 11:36 AM
I think the union gave a ton with their counter-offer, which appears pretty reasonable to me. Including amphetamines in the testing is a major step that the union was willing to agree to. I think Selig is just grandstanding here, trying to look like a tough guy before he goes before Congress.

W

DaleJRFan
09-27-2005, 11:52 AM
20 games is nothing. Taking "performnce enhancing drugs" is equivelant to an offense meriting termination in the real world.

Stand firm, Mr. Selig. This is one issue in which I stand with the commish. Wow. that rhymes. Sorry 'bout that.

Mickster
09-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Will they change drug testing to include blood tests and include HGH on the list of banned substances? If they do not, this is a total waste of time IMHO.

CLR01
09-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I think the union gave a ton with their counter-offer, which appears pretty reasonable to me. Including amphetamines in the testing is a major step that the union was willing to agree to. I think Selig is just grandstanding here, trying to look like a tough guy before he goes before Congress.

W

I think you may be a little confused on who is grandstanding before they go in front of congress again.

HotelWhiteSox
09-27-2005, 12:46 PM
I like Selig's punishments, but it is still weak and proves nothing with no HGH/blood testing (they say a urine test is being developed, who knows) and if it's true that items from over the counter/legal items can trigger a positive test, which I would see as unfair/too stiff

D. TODD
09-27-2005, 01:22 PM
The suspensions are still subpar, but I am thrilled that amphetamines are now included. This is a classic performance enhancing drug by all accounts for athletics that has not only been overlooked, but promoted in clubhouses around baseball for years. It will stop some of the hypocrisy of steroids being the devil while amphetamines are just a part of the game.

I wonder how the well known amphetamine users records will be viewed after they are a banned substance. They were always illegal to pop at random, just like steroids are, but players with esteemed records such as the all time hit leader, popped "greenies". They were handed out like M&M's by trainers to gain a boost in performance.