PDA

View Full Version : Another cheap shot from McGrath

mdep524
09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Same song, new verse.

In an utterly pointless and rambling column "Whiff of fall ball hanging in the air," in which he talks about the Cubs nearly as much as the Sox, Dan McGrath pulls out an old, irrelevant favorite to make a point.

"Had the Sox lost and the crowd been surly ... well, surely you remember poor Tom Gamboa."

The context of the quote, some Illinois Lottery promotion, wasn't as tasteless as the quote is on its own, but still, why keep bringing this issue up and referencing it in unrelated articles? I guess the only surprising part was the article included a photo of Scott Podsednik instead of Ligue. That must be the defense McGrath will use to prove there's no bias.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I read his feature today, too. My God... Dan McGrath is without question the BIGGEST DOPE in all of Chicago sports journalism. What a rambling pile of **** that was. He gets PAID to write this stuff. It's a wonder he doesn't moonlight on some sportsblab radio show. He has all the necessities.

When you realize this moron is running the Cubune's sports department, everything starts to make perfect sense.

:cubune

maurice
09-27-2005, 12:54 PM
Note to Trib employees: Stop destroying your credibility by insisting that McGrath is a Sox fan. The facts against you at this point are overwhelming.

jackbrohamer
09-27-2005, 01:06 PM
He also says that Buehrle was "lucky" on Sunday because he pitched against the Twins' "JV." Jerk.

SoxFan78
09-27-2005, 01:08 PM
He also says that Buehrle was "lucky" on Sunday because he pitched against the Twins' "JV." Jerk.

I wonder what he would of said if the Sox would of lost Sunday. I bet you he would of ripped the Sox a new one saying something along the lines "The Sox in a game they needed, couldn't even beat a JV Twins' team".

PaleHoseGeorge
09-27-2005, 01:10 PM
Note to Trib employees: Stop destroying your credibility by insisting that McGrath is a Sox fan. The facts against you at this point are overwhelming.

I'm sure Lip will muster up an excuse to explain it away for the rest of us.

:cool:

Vestigio
09-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Same song, new verse.

In an utterly pointless and rambling column "Whiff of fall ball hanging in the air," in which he talks about the Cubs nearly as much as the Sox, Dan McGrath pulls out an old, irrelevant favorite to make a point.

"Had the Sox lost and the crowd been surly ... well, surely you remember poor Tom Gamboa."

The context of the quote, some Illinois Lottery promotion, wasn't as tasteless as the quote is on its own, but still, why keep bringing this issue up and referencing it in unrelated articles? I guess the only surprising part was the article included a photo of Scott Podsednik instead of Ligue. That must be the defense McGrath will use to prove there's no bias.

What did he say about the Illinois Lottery promotion? I was at the game last Saturday, when they held the promotion. The only thing I could possibly think that Mcgrath had a problem with was when the entire stadium started booing when the 3 contestants took about 5 minutes to scratch off and oversized lottery ticket.

MarySwiss
09-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Same song, new verse.

I have a pretty vivid imagination, and when I read this quote, a picture of Roman citizens dressed as Sox fans watching gladiators fight and giving "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" signals sprang to mind. Yeah right, every time things don't go our way, we all become "surly" and look for someone to beat up.

mdep524
09-27-2005, 01:41 PM
What did he say about the Illinois Lottery promotion? I was at the game last Saturday, when they held the promotion. The only thing I could possibly think that Mcgrath had a problem with was when the entire stadium started booing when the 3 contestants took about 5 minutes to scratch off and oversized lottery ticket. "The only downer for a nearly full house was an inane and unending Illinois Lottery promotion that followed the game and delayed the start of fireworks..."

hawkjt
09-27-2005, 02:39 PM
It was clear that this guy is clueless when I heard him say last week when previewing the sox indian series on that Chicago tribune comcast talk show :

'' The sox are lucky to miss cc and lee ; instead they get Millwood and westbrook. They are nothing special. ''

At the time and currently Millwood led the league in ERA by a healthy margin.
He is uninformed or just stupid.

Lip Man 1
09-27-2005, 02:48 PM
George:

I only quoted what Bob Vanderberg said in his WSI Interview. I don't know McGrath, never met him, never talked to him.

Lip

MRKARNO
09-27-2005, 03:15 PM

And the Indians weren't fortunate in their getting to face KC down the stretch of a pennant race. Nope.