PDA

View Full Version : One game playoff with Cleveland?

Realist
09-26-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm a little confused, which is nothing new, but I've heard two different stories about what would happen if the Sox and Indians finished the season with identical records.

Some folks are saying that if both teams have identical records, the Sox win the division because they will have a better record in head to head competition.

This article (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050925&content_id=1223384&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) mentions that if both teams have an identical record, a one game playoff will be played in Cleveland next Monday.

What if the Indians and the White Sox are tied in the AL Central?
Next Monday (Oct. 3), the Indians would host the White Sox.

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
YES, im confuse here too. I keep hearing that if the teams are "TIED"
for 1st, they will have a 1game playoff in Cleveland. Others here are saying "if were tied, we win anyway because our records better" etc etc.
Someone set the record straight

kjhanson
09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
They would play at the Jake next Monday; presumably in the afternoon. Head to head records mean nothing in baseball, and Cleveland won the coin toss a while back.

However, I don't anticipate that happening. On Monday we'll be resting while Cleveland flies to New York or Boston.

Iwritecode
09-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm a little confused, which is nothing new, but I've heard two different stories about what would happen if the Sox and Indians finished the season with identical records.

Some folks are saying that if both teams have identical records, the Sox win the division because they will have a better record in head to head competition.

This article (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050925&content_id=1223384&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) mentions that if both teams have an identical record, a one game playoff will be played in Cleveland next Monday.

It depends on who wins the wildcard...

If the Sox and Cleveland both end up with 98 wins and NY ends up with 97 then Boston will only have 96 wins. That means that the Sox are the division champs and Cleveland are WC winners.

If the Sox and Cleveland both end up with 95 wins and NY = 97 and Bos = 96 then they will have a 1-game playoff to determine the divsion champ while Boston takes the WC.

Flight #24
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
Think of it this way: If the playoff could alter which teams make the playoffs, they'll play it. If it doesn't alter who gets in, but just which one's the division champ v. wildcard, they won't and the Sox will get the division based on the tiebreaker.

So if the Sox win the next 4, they'll clinch the division because they'll either have a >3 game lead on the Tribe, or they'll have at least a 3 game lead on the AL Least contenders, who can't BOTH gain 3 games since they play each other.

Iwritecode
09-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm really curious to know if the Sox win the first 3 games in Detroit, will they have champagne waiting for them after game 4?

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm really curious to know if the Sox win the first 3 games in Detroit, will they have champagne waiting for them after game 4?I'm really curious to know why people keep asking this same blasted question.:?:

BRDSR
09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm really curious to know if the Sox win the first 3 games in Detroit, will they have champagne waiting for them after game 4?

Good question. My guess is no. I bet the White Sox don't want to give off the impression that they've spent enough man hours to figure out that if the Sox and Indians tie for the division but one is the wild card winner and one is the division winner that the Sox automatically get the division because they have a better H2H record with Cleveland. They'll go by the traditional magic number that the papers have been printing since July 18th or whatever.

However, thats not to say that WSI can't pop the cork on some virual champagne!

SouthSide_HitMen
09-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I'm really curious to know why people keep asking this same blasted question.:?:

Maybe the Mods can put a stuck post stating the tie breaker / wild card rules.

Funny how some people are still confused after asking the same question (and having it answered) as yesterday.

There are no tie breaker games unless the loser of the tie breaker would go home (not qualify). If both tied teams would make the playoffs (One as a Division Champ & One as Wild Card) than there is no tie breaker game - the playoff seeding reverts to season series record of which the White Sox have clinched a win over Cleveland.

Iwritecode
09-26-2005, 05:28 PM
Good question. My guess is no. I bet the White Sox don't want to give off the impression that they've spent enough man hours to figure out that if the Sox and Indians tie for the division but one is the wild card winner and one is the division winner that the Sox automatically get the division because they have a better H2H record with Cleveland. They'll go by the traditional magic number that the papers have been printing since July 18th or whatever.

However, thats not to say that WSI can't pop the cork on some virual champagne!

I'm sure if the situation arises somebody will tell them.

Then they have to figure out how to go about the series with Cleveland. Will the regulars start or will it be a team full of AAA/bench players? Who pitches?

kittle42
09-26-2005, 05:29 PM
Maybe the Mods can put a stuck post stating the tie breaker / wild card rules.

Funny how some people are still confused after asking the same question (and having it answered) as yesterday.

There are no tie breaker games unless the loser of the tie breaker would go home (not qualify). If both tied teams would make the playoffs (One as a Division Champ & One as Wild Card) than there is no tie breaker game - the playoff seeding reverts to season series record of which the White Sox have clinched a win over Cleveland.

So what happens if the Sox and Cleveland are both tied after Sunday? One-game playoff? :)

SouthSide_HitMen
09-26-2005, 05:29 PM
They would play at the Jake next Monday; presumably in the afternoon. Head to head records mean nothing in baseball, and Cleveland won the coin toss a while back.

However, I don't anticipate that happening. On Monday we'll be resting while Cleveland flies to New York or Boston.

http://www.nndb.com/people/629/000061446/mclaughlin-john-crop.jpg

Wrong. Read my post. Next Issue - Should McCarthy start in the playoffs? I ask you Pat Buchanan.

BRDSR
09-26-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm really curious to know why people keep asking this same blasted question.:?:

This ones different. If the White Sox win their first 3 against Detroit and Cleveland wins their first two against TB, then the magic number will technically be 2 going into action on Thursday. However, even if both the White Sox and Indians win Thursday, the White Sox will have clinched the division because a tie would award them the Division. The question is, would the White Sox break out the champagne even though the magic number is still 1?

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 05:33 PM
This ones different. If the White Sox win their first 3 against Detroit and Cleveland wins their first two against TB, then the magic number will technically be 2 going into action on Thursday. However, even if both the White Sox and Indians win Thursday, the White Sox will have clinched the division because a tie would award them the Division. The question is, would the White Sox break out the champagne even though the magic number is still 1?Why are you asking me?:?:

Seriously, do people stay awake nights thinking up these questions?

Max Power
09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
This ones different. If the White Sox win their first 3 against Detroit and Cleveland wins their first two against TB, then the magic number will technically be 2 going into action on Thursday. However, even if both the White Sox and Indians win Thursday, the White Sox will have clinched the division because a tie would award them the Division. The question is, would the White Sox break out the champagne even though the magic number is still 1?

Larussa didn't for the Cardinals a couple weeks ago. So I'll say no.

BRDSR
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Why are you asking me?:?:

Seriously, do people stay awake nights thinking up these questions?

LOL, a lot of people have admitted lately that they've been losing sleep while going over possible White Sox playoff scenarios in their head.

But come on, ON2, with over 6000 posts in one year and over 16 per day, I'm sure you've had more than your share of low-content posts. No need to go blasting people for theirs.

robertks61
09-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Maybe if we tie with Cleveland we could play them in a simulated game on Monday.

bobwsx
09-26-2005, 05:47 PM
Why are you asking me?:?:

Seriously, do people stay awake nights thinking up these questions?THEN DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.I'm sure he'd rather you don't answer then you cry like a little girl about it!:whiner:

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 05:59 PM
LOL, a lot of people have admitted lately that they've been losing sleep while going over possible White Sox playoff scenarios in their head.

But come on, ON2, with over 6000 posts in one year and over 16 per day, I'm sure you've had more than your share of low-content posts. No need to go blasting people for theirs.Absolutely not. All mine were pithy and insightful.:tongue:

sox1970
09-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Maybe if we tie with Cleveland we could play them in a simulated game on Monday.

Who's starting? Mark Prior or Kerry Wood?

MarySwiss
09-26-2005, 06:18 PM
I will be so glad when we go into Cleveland at least 4 up with three to play. :cool:

maurice
09-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Wrong. Read my post. Next Issue - Should McCarthy start in the playoffs? I ask you Pat Buchanan.

:Buchanan
"John, you have to understand that, if it were up to me . . . "

:Clift
"John . . . ."

". . . Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez would be prevented from entering this country . . ."

"John . . . ."

" . . . by a really big wall."

"John . . . ."

:McLaughlin
"What say you, Tony Blankley?"

:Blankley
"I don't watch baseball."

"John . . . ."

"Very insightful, Tony. Next question -- I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10. What is it? Lawrence O'Donnell."

TommyJohn
09-26-2005, 06:22 PM
I will be so glad when we go into Cleveland at least 4 up with three to play. :cool:

I like your thinking, MS. The Sox sweep Detoit and TB slaps Cleveland once.
It can be done.

MarySwiss
09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I like your thinking, MS. The Sox sweep Detoit and TB slaps Cleveland once.
It can be done.

I keep thinking about:
1) How Tampa swept Cleveland,
2) How tough Tampa's been playing lately,
3) The fact that Sweet Lou HATES losing, no matter what, and
4) How Cleveland is due to level off a bit.

Tonight's game is big. Hell, they all are! But imagine if the Sox, Yanks, and Boston all win tonight. Talk about pressure!

Realist
09-26-2005, 06:50 PM

Umm... I didn't ask that question yesterday. Maybe you're just a little bit more confused than I am. Perhaps someone did within some other thread, but I scanned through two pages of titles in the Clubhouse and didn't see a thread about this.

DSpivack
09-26-2005, 06:51 PM

"John . . . ."

". . . Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez would be prevented from entering this country . . ."

"John . . . ."

" . . . by a really big wall."

"John . . . ."

"What say you, Tony Blankley?"

:Blankley
"I don't watch baseball."

"John . . . ."

"Very insightful, Tony. Next question -- I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10. What is it? Lawrence O'Donnell."

Best political talk-like show on TV.

But enough of this post.

BUHHHH BYE!!!!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
09-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Umm... I didn't ask that question yesterday. Maybe you're just a little bit more confused than I am. Perhaps someone did within some other thread, but I scanned through two pages of titles in the Clubhouse and didn't see a thread about this.

I wasn't referring to you.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-26-2005, 07:17 PM

Actually it went more like this

Pat - "Well I long for the good old days when the pitchers could hit and then their hitting would come into question."

John - "Tony what do you think about the DH."

Tony - "Well as you know there is no designated hitter rule in cricket which I played as a youth nor in the National League where my Washington Nationals play and I have season tickets. I haven't given it much thought though I have heard the White Sox staff is good."

John - "Eleanor"

Eleanor - "Well John I have to tell you I haven't watched baseball since the leader of the current administration owned his team and I hope George Soros' bid is accepted so I can go to Washington National games next season. Also teams should give away their tickets like the Milwaukee Brewers but everygame should be free paid for via a tax on baseball's billionaire owners."

Clearance Page - "Well, getting back on topic, several of my colleagues at the paper tell me the White Sox are not going to make the playoffs and have suffered the worst choke in the history of sports. Also, nobody knows who starts for the White Sox because nobody goes to their games. If a tree falls in the forest.."

John - "I predict he will not start unless there is an injury. Final Predictions"

Pat - "Notre Dame will earn a BCS Bowl bid and make all Catholics very proud."

Tony - "The Washington Nationals will have a new owner by Halloween and George Soros' group will not win."

Eleanor - "Congress will cite Palmeiro for perjury and he will never play MLB again."

Clarence - "The Cubs will win the World Series next year."

Pat - "My Red Sox will win the AL Eastern Division this year for the first time since 1995. Bye Bye."

longshot7
09-26-2005, 07:59 PM
THEN DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION.I'm sure he'd rather you don't answer then you cry like a little girl about it!:whiner:

For the record, little girls don't cry any more than little boys.

That said, if we sweep Detroit, let's throw Buehrle on Fri and rest Garland for playoff game #2. Throw McCarthy on Sunday cuz he's not gonna start in the postseason anyway.