PDA

View Full Version : Going into Cleveland...

XplodingScorbord
09-26-2005, 01:06 PM
If someone else has posted this already, I apologize, but it just occured to me that a magic number of 2 going into the CLE series is as good as a magic number of 1, since every victory over them head-to-head reduces the number by 2.

I'd feel pretty good if we got to CLE needing to only win 1 of 3 to clinch. If we get swept there, we don't deserve to win this division.

Just my two cents.

GO SOX!

BRDSR
09-26-2005, 01:14 PM
If someone else has posted this already, I apologize, but it just occured to me that a magic number of 2 going into the CLE series is as good as a magic number of 1, since every victory over them head-to-head reduces the number by 2.

I'd feel pretty good if we got to CLE needing to only win 1 of 3 to clinch. If we get swept there, we don't deserve to win this division.

Just my two cents.

GO SOX!

Well, not necessarily. If its two, then a Cleveland sweep would mean they win the division. If its one, then a Cleveland sweept would mean theres a tiebreaker to determine the winner of the division. The only case in which 2 is as good as 1 is if the Sox, for instance, sweep Detroit and the Indians sweep TB. The Sox would hold a 3 game lead on the division, and if they got swept by the Indians they would still be AL Central Champions because the Wild Card would come from the Central and the White Sox would win because of H2H matchups.

Its nitpicking, but true. I'd rather Cleveland just lost a game or two and we went in with a 4 game lead.

IronFisk
09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
I can't see the division being wrapped up before Cleveland. At best it will be 2 or 1 for the magic #. I think we'll get in the playoffs however beforehand.

As for that series, although they act like no big deal, there will be TONS on pressure on Cleveland. Again, this is presupposing the Sox have clinched at least the wild card. If not, BOTH teams will have a significant "pucker" factor going in.

I'm hoping here for a case of the jitttttters of course, as well as more stellar outfield play by the Tribe!

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2005, 01:53 PM
I think Cleveland had their Waterloo yesterday. I think they tank their final six games, while the Sox win out. The Sox will win the division by 9 games.

:)

Flight #24
09-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I think Cleveland had their Waterloo yesterday. I think they tank their final six games, while the Sox win out. The Sox will win the division by 9 games.

My prediction: Indians win 2 of 3 v. TAM, Sox sweep 4 @ DET. It's all over by the time the team heads to the mistake by the lake. They split the first 2, forcing the Tribe to win the last game and save a playoff chance. They win a close one and have to head out for a 1-game playoff v. the AL Least loser.

TheOldRoman
09-26-2005, 02:07 PM

This Cleveland team has no heart, same as last year. They are very good, but they have been unbelievably lucky lately. Last year in mid August, they closed to within a game of the Twins after taking the first two of a weekend series, IIRC. In the final game of the series, in Cleveland, the Tribe was slaughtered by the Twins. They could have been in first place, but when they got punched in the mouth they cowered and fell back into third place. They ended up losing the division by double didgets.

I believe they are still the same way, and I was waiting for that moment when the collapsed this year. That game should have been last Wednesday, but the Sox decided not to try that game. If we would have won on Wednesday, the race would be all but over, because they would have lost at least 2 in KC. Hopefully this epic drop by Sizemore is just the thing to break their spirit and send them spiralling downwards. Tampa has been playing really good lately, and it would have been a tough series for the Indians even if they were still in their "invincible" mode. The Indians will drop one against the Rays, possibly 2.