PDA

View Full Version : 1959?

bobwsx
09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I'm only 30 but my dad says back in 59 there was know playoffs.That the team with the best record in each league met in the world series.Is that true?If not who did they go through to get to the series.

doogiec
09-26-2005, 12:35 PM
That's absolutely true. Divisions first started in 1969. In 1959, there was just a single 8 team American League and a single 8 team National League. The team with the best record in each league went directly to the World Series.

Baby Fisk
That's correct. The AL and NL used to not have any divisions before 1969. Picture "one big division" in each league, and the team with the best record automatically became the AL or NL Champion. The World Series itself was the only round of post-season play in 1959.

People also used to tie a string of garlic around their waists because that was the style of the day. :cool:

TomBradley72
It's true. Each league had a total of 8 teams. No playoffs or wild cards. Ist place winners went directly to the World Series. In 1969....the leagues went to Divisional play.

bobwsx
09-26-2005, 12:37 PM
thanks guys.i can't believe the old man was right!

DannyCaterFan
09-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I can't believe how old this thread is making me feel. I became a fan of the Sox on opening day 1960 when my Dad took me out of the 3rd grade to go to opening day. Back then there were only 8 teams in each league, until 1961 expansion turned it in to 10 teams per league. Still there was only 1 winner per league going to the World Series. Too bad there was no wild card in the early 60's. The Sox routinely would finish second to the Yankees in those days. It was not until 1969 that baseball expanded again and went to four divisions, with a playoff format

SOXintheBURGH
09-26-2005, 01:02 PM
That's correct. The AL and NL used to not have any divisions before 1969. Picture "one big division" in each league, and the team with the best record automatically became the AL or NL Champion. The World Series itself was the only round of post-season play in 1959.

People also used to tie a string of garlic around their waists because that was the style of the day. :cool:

Back then we used to call nickels bees. Gimme 5 bees for a quarter we used to say! Now, the important thing is that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style of the time.

Paulwny
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Too bad there was no wild card in the early 60's. The Sox routinely would finish second to the Yankees in those days. It was not until 1969 that baseball expanded again and went to four divisions, with a playoff format

That's why so many of us old farts continue to hate the yankmees. Too many years of looking at their behinds. :angry:

cleanwsox
09-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Geez, only 16 teams in the league and neither Chicago team or Boston could win a World Series for those 40 years?

wassagstdu
09-26-2005, 01:14 PM
The top 4 teams were referred to as the "first division" and the goal of everyone except the Yankees was to finish in the first division. That, for the Sox in the '50s, meant a successful season. (How could we have been so enthusiastic about a team that finished third every year?) Winning the pennant depended on having the best record over 154 games, and that meant something. Everyone knows that any team can beat any other team in a 7-game series, so the World Series was more an exhibition, like the All Star game. There were two big winners each year, the pennant winners. Without interleague play both pennants were equal and independent.

In the current system the "pennant" means next to nothing and there is only one winner each year. Instead of having champions decided over the whole season, they are decided in a second season, sudden death, where luck and timing (e.g. Red Sox) trump quality (e.g. Cards). Three years in a row the WS has been won by a team that did not even have the best record in its own league. And of course, the part of the baseball season that counts is delayed until the public is more interested in football and the weather becomes more appropriate for football.

I guess you could say that "making the playoffs" now has the same role as a first division finish had in the '50s -- with the added benefit that making the playoffs gives a team a lottery ticket for the championship.

Johnny Mostil
09-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Well, there was a playoff of sorts in '59--the Dodgers and Braves squared off in a best-of-three additional regular-season games after tying through 154. A Chicago-Milwaukee Series would be something--at least for those of us like Abe Simpson who like to tell long, boring stories that go nowhere . . .

Lip Man 1
09-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Some of you obviously need to brush up on your Sox history. This will help:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=14&id=2198

Lip

Hitmen77
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Back then we used to call nickels bees. Gimme 5 bees for a quarter we used to say! Now, the important thing is that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style of the time.

You guys crack me up with the Simpsons jokes! :rolling: :kneeslap: