PDA

View Full Version : Burnett SHREADS McKeon

DaleJRFan
09-26-2005, 12:14 PM
"We play scared, we manage scared, we coach scared, and I'm sick of it, man," Burnett said. "It's depressing around here. ... It's like they expect us to mess up and when we do they chew our a-- out. There's no positive nothing around here for anybody. Young kids come up, they can't get early hitting. They can't get early work. There's no positive [feeling] on this staff whatsoever, none.

"It's a waste. A positive pat on the back is better than anything, and I haven't seen a positive pat on the back since April. Guys are out here busting their a--. ... We ain't trying to lose. We ain't trying to give up runs or strike out. Guys are out there busting their a--, yet you still hear negativity. I'm not saying no names, just too much negativity."

"It's a 3-3 game," said Burnett, who served up a game-tying, two-run homer to Marcus Giles in the fifth. "I give up a home run, it's a funeral. I'm over it, man. I've got one more start here, and that's all that matters."

Wow, big words for a guy who plain SUCKS right now... I'll take McCarthy any day. Thank GOD that trade didn't happen...
LINKIE (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-marlins26sep26,0,7685041.story?coll=sfla-sports-front) to rest of the story and McKeon's reaction.

Baby Fisk
09-26-2005, 12:24 PM
There have been murmurings all year about the Marlins re. Clubhouse vs Manager. I remember watching a Marlins game around mid-season and the cameras showed a wide shot of their dugout. McKean & his coaches were all sitting at the extreme right end of the dugout, while the players were all hanging around the middle and left end of the dugout. It was very striking.

DaleJRFan
09-26-2005, 12:26 PM
There have been murmurings all year about the Marlins re. Clubhouse vs Manager. I remember watching a Marlins game around mid-season and the cameras showed a wide shot of their dugout. McKean & his coaches were all sitting at the extreme right end of the dugout, while the players were all hanging around the middle and left end of the dugout. It was very striking.

As much as I like McKeon, you have to look to the manager and coaches. They have SO MUCH freakin talent on that team NOT to have run away with that eak ass division. ITs amazing how quickly things have changed since their WS title in 03...

Brian26
09-26-2005, 12:49 PM
The more I see and hear of Burnett, the more glad I am that we didn't get him. And, good lord, I am glad as hell we didn't ship Contreras and BMac down there for him.

The age old adage is more true than ever in this case...sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. This one isn't even close. Where would we be without BMac and Jose? Mercy.

mdep524
09-26-2005, 12:55 PM
The more I see and hear of Burnett, the more glad I am that we didn't get him. And, good lord, I am glad as hell we didn't ship Contreras and BMac down there for him.

The age old adage is more true than ever in this case...sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make. This one isn't even close. Where would we be without BMac and Jose? Mercy. Agreed 110%. I NEVER liked Burnett- his attitude or his overrated-ness. I was relieved when we didn't deal for him, and now I'm downright giddy we have Contreras and McCarthy in the fold.

:hawk
I looove old adages.

:DJ
<sighs> We know Hawk, you're full of 'em

JB98
09-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Burnett is just like Carrie Woods. He's fools gold. Everybody loves that 98 mph heater, but the bottom line is he's an oft-injured .500 pitcher. And it appears his attitude leaves something to be desired as well.

He's going to get $10-12 million a year from some sucker this offseason. I wouldn't sign him for half that.

SoxSpeed22
09-26-2005, 02:07 PM
He's going to get $10-12 million a year from some sucker this offseason. I wouldn't sign him for half that.http://www.widewordofsports.com/images-steinbrenner.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/gloria7816/TheoEpstein.jpg"Hey!"

Back to the topic. True McKeon lost the team and is probably on his way out, but Burnett does not have the attitude or the results to rip into McKeon. I am sure that 2003 never would've happened if Burnett was healthy. Not too many people on the team like him and the coaches and players are going against each other.

1951Campbell
09-26-2005, 02:27 PM
Wow. Just wow.

DaleJRFan
09-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I love his tirade... shows what a complete bumbling idiot he really is. First, he complains that there is "No positive nothing" in the clubhouse... well, jackass, how can there be when drillrods like you call out the manager and coaching staff on the media?? Ugh. Pull down your skirt and pitch, Nancy boy.

Jerko
09-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Wasn't McKeon the savior the last time the Marlins won it all? Didn't they hire him in mid-season and give him all the credit for turning them around? Now he knows nothing all of a sudden? JUST SHUT UP goes to Burnett here.

tstrike2000
09-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Burnett is just like Carrie Woods. He's fools gold. Everybody loves that 98 mph heater, but the bottom line is he's an oft-injured .500 pitcher. And it appears his attitude leaves something to be desired as well.

He's going to get $10-12 million a year from some sucker this offseason. I wouldn't sign him for half that.

His career has mired Wood's a lot. Both have the talent but injury plagued. The addition of calling out teammates and coaches in the paper regarding negativity has clubhouse cancer written all over it. Hey, that's good way to battle negativity in the clubhouse A.J., publically criticize your team and coaches in the newspaper. Idiot indeed.

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 03:00 PM
So let's see....

Kenny tries to get Burnett - deal falls through - Burnett falls apart and turns out to be an ass

Kenny tries to get Aubrey Huff - TB won't deal - Huff hits about .250 in Aug and Sept

Kenny tries to get Griffey - Reds owner kills deal - Griffey hurt and out for the year

Great job, Kenny!!!!

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2005, 03:07 PM
So let's see....

Kenny tries to get Burnett - deal falls through - Burnett falls apart and turns out to be an ass

Kenny tries to get Aubrey Huff - TB won't deal - Huff hits about .250 in Aug and Sept

Kenny tries to get Griffey - Reds owner kills deal - Griffey hurt and out for the year

Great job, Kenny!!!!

I wish Kenny had tried to trade for Travis Hafner, Johan Santana and Mark Teixeira!
:redneck

TaylorStSox
09-26-2005, 03:16 PM

Yeah, but he's not injured all the time!!!

Burnett just reminds me how much of a joke this place was around the deadline. Everyone wanted a trade for the sake of a trade. I seriously think that fantasy league's are ruining some sports fans.

Frankly Missing
09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Burnett is a fan favorite and there are a good reasons why he is.

I live in St Pete ( GO RAYS!) and have traveled to Miami 5 times this year to catch a game.

After the games I have hung out at the player exit, maybe get an autograph by the visiting team as they board the bus and so forth.

As the Marlins exit in their cars, most of them with tinted windows, some might give the fans a wave, some ignore them completely.

A.J. Burnett on the other hand, drives out in his open air Jeep and pulls off to the side of the road. He signs for 30-45 minutes, until every fan that gathers around his Jeep gets an autograph.

I wasn't in favor of trading for Burnett at this point in time, but he seems like a real decent guy.

Jjav829
09-26-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't get it. Why is everyone ripping Burnett? The guy is speaking the truth about how bad the team is treated. I doubt he's speaking just for himself, either. I'm guessing he's probably saying what a lot of other Marlins would like to say but can't. Burnett is a free agent once their season ends next week so he can say whatever he wants to say.

If anything this just tells me that Burnett really wants to win. I'd rather have a guy who feels like this than someone who just goes through the motions with the rest of the team.

Norberto7
09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Maybe the Sox were just trying to corner the market on clubhouse cancers named "A.J."

peeonwrigley
09-26-2005, 04:45 PM
Maybe the Sox were just trying to corner the market on clubhouse cancers named "A.J."
:D:

chopperjc
09-26-2005, 05:21 PM
The players and coaches have been fighting all year, reading the fish wrapper (Miami Herald) Trader Jack almost was let go earlier in the year but they played a little better so he stayed. I doubt he will be back either.

beckett21
09-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Burnett is a fan favorite and there are a good reasons why he is.

I live in St Pete ( GO RAYS!) and have traveled to Miami 5 times this year to catch a game.

After the games I have hung out at the player exit, maybe get an autograph by the visiting team as they board the bus and so forth.

As the Marlins exit in their cars, most of them with tinted windows, some might give the fans a wave, some ignore them completely.

A.J. Burnett on the other hand, drives out in his open air Jeep and pulls off to the side of the road. He signs for 30-45 minutes, until every fan that gathers around his Jeep gets an autograph.

I wasn't in favor of trading for Burnett at this point in time, but he seems like a real decent guy.

Glad to see some people sticking up for AJ here. I'm also one of his defenders.

Anyone who is not in that clubhouse day in and day out has no idea what is going on. It's easy to judge people based on their comments when you don't know them or what their situation is.

Like Jjav said, he was probably speaking up for a lot of players who don't have that luxury. Sounds like a guy who likes to win that was just venting after a frustrating season. If he didn't care he probably wouldn't have said a word.

chaerulez
09-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Seems to me AJ was only saying what everyone on the team is thinking. Unless his teammates come out and dispute what he's saying, there's really no reason to believe otherwise.

JB98
09-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Glad to see some people sticking up for AJ here. I'm also one of his defenders.

Anyone who is not in that clubhouse day in and day out has no idea what is going on. It's easy to judge people based on their comments when you don't know them or what their situation is.

Like Jjav said, he was probably speaking up for a lot of players who don't have that luxury. Sounds like a guy who likes to win that was just venting after a frustrating season. If he didn't care he probably wouldn't have said a word.

But hasn't Burnett lost his last six decisions? He's been tagged pretty good down the stretch here. I really don't care what players say in the paper, but it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything when he's not performing.

Regardless of what kind of person he is, the guy is a .500 pitcher.

beckett21
09-26-2005, 10:38 PM
But hasn't Burnett lost his last six decisions? He's been tagged pretty good down the stretch here. I really don't care what players say in the paper, but it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt on anything when he's not performing.

Regardless of what kind of person he is, the guy is a .500 pitcher.

He hasn't pitched well for the past month. That much is true.

Seems that his frustration got the better of him. They had just essentially been eliminated from playoff contention as well. I wouldn't expect him to be happy.

SABRSox
09-26-2005, 10:44 PM
I don't get it. Why is everyone ripping Burnett? The guy is speaking the truth about how bad the team is treated. I doubt he's speaking just for himself, either. I'm guessing he's probably saying what a lot of other Marlins would like to say but can't. Burnett is a free agent once their season ends next week so he can say whatever he wants to say.

If anything this just tells me that Burnett really wants to win. I'd rather have a guy who feels like this than someone who just goes through the motions with the rest of the team.

Agreed. I'll take him any day of the week. We can find room for him in next year's rotation. Right?

JB98
09-26-2005, 10:52 PM
Agreed. I'll take him any day of the week. We can find room for him in next year's rotation. Right?

Uhh, no. He's a .500 pitcher who is going to command $10-12 million on the open market because he's the biggest name in a weak free-agent class. It would be one thing if the price were right, but there is no way in hell I'd give him that kind of money, especially since the Sox are already strong in the starting rotation. If JR is willing to spend that type of dough during the offseason, I say find us someone who can hit No. 3 in the batting order. But that's another topic entirely.

RKMeibalane
09-26-2005, 11:17 PM

I agree. I think the timing for his outburst was bad, but I don't blame for having these feelings. The Marlins should be on their way to the postseason. The fact that they aren't is a direct reflection of the coaching staff. This Marlins team reminds me a lot of the Sox teams that played under Jerry Manuel. They had the most talent in the division, and still came up short. When that happens, changes need to be made.

RKMeibalane
09-26-2005, 11:18 PM
If JR is willing to spend that type of dough during the offseason, I say find us someone who can hit No. 3 in the batting order. But that's another topic entirely.

I don't even want to think about that, yet. We still don't know what's going to happen with Frank's ankle, let alone who's going to replace him if he isn't with the team next season.

tstrike2000
09-26-2005, 11:38 PM

I understand your standpoint. I read as well when I was in Tampa about some of the division in the Marlin clubhouse. I guess I was comparing it to Konerko pointing out Frank a few years ago or Uribe this year which I never like to see guys doing. Burnett may have a point but pouring fuel on the fire sometimes isn't the best thing.

Jjav829
09-27-2005, 01:57 AM
The Marlins told Burnett to go home for the rest of the season. Any chance he had of staying around is gone now.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2173336)

Viva Medias B's
09-27-2005, 10:51 AM
We need Miguel Cabrera more than we need A.J. Burnett.

Steelrod
09-27-2005, 11:39 AM

If we traded for Burnett, we'd have a grand total of "ONE" clubhouse cancer's named AJ.
Take your head out of the clouds, or wherever else you've put it! Our A.J. is just fine!!

beckett21
09-27-2005, 11:41 AM
If we traded for Burnett, we'd have a grand total of "ONE" clubhouse cancer's named AJ.
Take your head out of the clouds, or wherever else you've put it! Our A.J. is just fine!!

I think he was being sarcastic.

Besides, I don't think Burnett is a cancer either. So we would have zero.

Baby Fisk
09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Teal text is for sarcasm.

HotelWhiteSox
09-27-2005, 03:01 PM
He gone!

RKMeibalane
09-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Here's the link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2173705

soxwon
09-27-2005, 06:26 PM
what people dont realise is.
if someone had a crappy year, that doesn't mean he would be crappy with us, if we had made a trade.

say griffey- just cause he got hurt(again) doesnt mean he would have with us.

if a person is in a different place, it changes everything
understand?

if your with a different team, things change.

say konerko got traded, that doesnt mean he would have had such a great season with the reds or tigers or whomever.

it works both ways.