PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet!!!

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 10:43 PM
I was thinking about how big this weekend was in that Cleveland gained absolutely NOTHING on us, and four games were knocked off the schedule, giving us a two-loss cushion in the process; however, this just came to mind that I actually considered last night when I was at the game, but was waiting for another game to conclude before actually posting it.

In the past three games, our bullpen has been used for exactly one inning (Vizcaino last night). This is larger than some would think. Our bullpen has now been able to completely recuperate from a minor "down" period and can back up our starters more effectively now that they have had a great amount of rest.

Aside from the rest our bullpen has received, it also shows that we can chunk together quality starts. It appears that this pitching staff is going in the right direction, and the offense seems to be kicking it up a notch or two.

This is coming together at the right time!!!

DaleJRFan
09-25-2005, 11:16 PM
yea, and our so called "over-rated" pitching staff put together 4 straight dominant performances. When the starting pitcher goes 8 innings and allows 1 run, it makes winning easy. Let's Go Sox! Bring on Cleveland!

ElDuque26
09-25-2005, 11:19 PM
The rest that the starters gave the team during that series was crucial. You have a lot of guys who are much less effective when pitching so frequently. The main example would have to be Bobby Jenks. He was electric in his situational role and throwing 98-101 all day. The last week he pitched in 4 games and the toll it had on his velocity(topping out at 95 on thurs) was a big part to his struggles...marte(i still have little hope) needed the rest for his "neck" problems and the time off was crucial.

mike squires
09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
I mentioned the very same thing to my wife today. Two complete games in a row and McCarthy giving us 8 strong innings are huge. I would like to see some of the relief pitchers get SOME work in during the Tiger series, but in good situations (for us.) It's refreshing to see the pitching along with some timely hitting and a few stolen bases (Rowand, Iguchi, Harris) the past few games. We are playing our kind of ball again. I hope they continue.

Sox magix number:5

Squires # of work days until having All of October off:3 :)

SOXfnNlansing
09-26-2005, 12:16 AM
we're up 3 in the loss column ......:bandance:

Garland_IS_God
09-26-2005, 01:03 AM
When we win 2maro will pick up a .5 game on the Tribe which makes it an even 3 game lead which is nice. All we need is a 4 game lead come Cleveland time and all is well on the South Side. Yeah I can add!!! :bandance:

MsSoxVixen22
09-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Maybe I'm the only one but I feel really good right now. I feel like my faith has been restored. Not that I had completely lost it I was just getting really worried for awhile there. I hope the Sox can keep this momentum going and well into the playoffs. Anyone else happy the A's are starting to come apart? I cna't wait til October! The Sox winning is all I've been thinking about lately. I think my signature says it all

PorkChopExpress
09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
When we win 2maro will pick up a .5 game on the Tribe which makes it an even 3 game lead which is nice. All we need is a 4 game lead come Cleveland time and all is well on the South Side. Yeah I can add!!! :bandance:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we have a four game lead come Cleveland time, then we would have already clinched. Unless that is what you mean.

Goose
09-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we have a four game lead come Cleveland time, then we would have already clinched. Unless that is what you mean.

Actually, if we have a 3 game lead going into the CLE series, we will have clinched. With 3 games remaining after DET, if we head into CLE +3, then we can still lose all 3 games to the Tribe and claim the division via Tie Breaker.

jdm2662
09-26-2005, 11:22 AM
I won't feel confortable until the magic number is zero. However, I like their chances much more than I did last week. It's funny how things can change in a few days.

HebrewHammer
09-26-2005, 11:42 AM
What I can't believe no one has mentioned is that the churro stand has been removed from the upper level!

I had to run down to the lower deck to grab a couple of churros. No way I was going to watch the last home game of the year without a churro.

Iwritecode
09-26-2005, 11:46 AM
If you really stop and think about it, the magic # to clinch the division is only 4.

That would give the Sox 98 wins. Cleveland would have to win every single one of their remaining games to hit 98. The Sox have the H2H advantage so they would automatically be determined the ALC champions.

If either Boston or New York managed to win 98, then the other team would only have 95 wins.

:)

SOX ADDICT '73
09-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Actually, if we have a 3 game lead going into the CLE series, we will have clinched. With 3 games remaining after DET, if we head into CLE +3, then we can still lose all 3 games to the Tribe and claim the division via Tie Breaker.
Not if, after we win game 1 at Detroit, the Sox and Tribe both drop the next three, while Boston and NY both sweep their respective opponents. In that scenario, we'd still have a three game lead, but neither of us would be assured of the Wild Card. If we end the season tied with either the Yanks or BlowSox for the WC, wackiness would ensue...

marte(i still have little hope) needed the rest for his "neck" problems and the time off was crucial.
Marte's problems aren't so much with his neck, but with what sits atop his neck. :tongue:

Garland_IS_God
09-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Thats what I was hinting at.

voodoochile
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM

Only if Cleveland is the WC...

Garland_IS_God
09-26-2005, 12:12 PM
What I can't believe no one has mentioned is that the churro stand has been removed from the upper level!

I had to run down to the lower deck to grab a couple of churros. No way I was going to watch the last home game of the year without a churro.

Noooooooo, not the Churros!!!!! :smile: How'd you manage to get down to the lower deck with upper deck tickets? Whener I try and sneak down security is always asking for tickets.

Goose
09-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Not if, after we win game 1 at Detroit, the Sox and Tribe both drop the next three, while Boston and NY both sweep their respective opponents. In that scenario, we'd still have a three game lead, but neither of us would be assured of the Wild Card. If we end the season tied with either the Yanks or BlowSox for the WC, wackiness would ensue...

I must be missing something...

If the Sox go into the CLE series with a +3 lead, then they will not care what the Yankees/RedSox do. The division goes to the Sox and Cleveland will be left to worry about the WC and the AL East scenarios. The Sox going into the last series with a 3 or more game lead over the Tribe assures them on the ALC. WC scenarios should not apply, correct?

I may not be understanding the tie breaker rules...

voodoochile
09-26-2005, 12:19 PM
I must be missing something...

If the Sox go into the CLE series with a +3 lead, then they will not care what the Yankees/RedSox do. The division goes to the Sox and Cleveland will be left to worry about the WC and the AL East scenarios. The Sox going into the last series with a 3 or more game lead over the Tribe assures them on the ALC. WC scenarios should not apply, correct?

No, if the Tribe and Sox tie for the division lead and neither of them can be the WC than the division title will be settled with a one game playoff next Monday in Cleveland, but that isn't going to happen...:cool:

kitekrazy
09-26-2005, 12:23 PM
I hope they sweep the Tigers. They could get a break from the pressure going into Cleveland.

Goose
09-26-2005, 12:25 PM
No, if the Tribe and Sox tie for the division lead and neither of them can be the WC than the division title will be settled with a one game playoff next Monday in Cleveland, but that isn't going to happen...:cool:

Right...Thanks! I was under the impression that the tie breaker would be head-to-head record, not a playoff.

Oh well...like you said..."That isn't going to happen."

Thanks for the clarification.

HebrewHammer
09-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Noooooooo, not the Churros!!!!! :smile: How'd you manage to get down to the lower deck with upper deck tickets? Whener I try and sneak down security is always asking for tickets.

Season ticket holder. They let us down there.

Optipessimism
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
NY and Boston both sit at 91-64 going into today. The best possible scenario for both is that they each sweep their four game sets against BAL and TOR, putting them at 95-64 going into the final 3 game series against each other which would decide the divsion. So, if the losing team still wins one game that team will have 96 wins total.

EDIT: The Sox have 94 right now. All we need to do is go 3-4 to clinch a playoff spot, and all Cleveland needs to do is go 4-2 to clinch a tiebreaker assuming Boston and the Yanks both sweep. The absolute worst case scenario IMO is that the Sox and Tribe end up in a tie at the end of the year, where the Sox are named the winner and the Tribe gets the WC.

I think it's a pretty decent bet to say these will be the playoff matchups:
AL Central champs Sox vs. AL West champs LAAA
AL East champs BoSox/Yanks vs. WildCard Cleveland

Based on Houston's schedule vs. Philly's schedule, I have to go with this:
NL Central champs Cardinals vs. Wildcard Phillies
NL West champs Padres vs. NL East champs Atlanta

Sad
09-26-2005, 03:22 PM
I think it's a pretty decent bet to say these will be the playoff matchups:
AL Central champs SOX vs. AL West Champs LAAA
AL East champs BoSox/Yanks vs. WildCard Cleveland

a decent bet? :?: hmmm... I'm not so sure...
could happen... I sure wouldn't bet my money on it-

Boston and NY are tied for ALE and only 1/2 game behind CLE for WC... I think Boston and NY also play each other 3 games to end the season.

SOX vs. LAAA will also change if Boston & NY both get in 'cus they can't play each other in the ALDS...

dunno... in any case it should be an interesting final week of the season

Optipessimism
09-26-2005, 03:31 PM
a decent bet? :?: hmmm... I'm not so sure...
could happen... I sure wouldn't bet my money on it-

Boston and NY are tied for ALE and only 1/2 game behind CLE for WC... I think Boston and NY also play each other 3 games to end the season.

SOX vs. LAAA will also change if Boston & NY both get in 'cus they can't play each other in the ALDS...

dunno... in any case it should be an interesting final week of the season

Cleveland would have to tank in order to miss the playoffs since Boston and NY play each other. Boston and NY also would have to sweep the Jays and Baltimore to even allow the Tribe to Tank. And, if one of Boston or NY tank, then that opens the door right up for Cleveland without a fight. The Tribe's toughest opponent will be us for a final 3 game set, but there is always the chance that if we clinch before the final 2 games of the season Ozzie could us the last two games of the series with the Tribe to get Viz/Marte/Duque some work, which gives the Tribe the edge in the series IMO.

Sad
09-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Cleveland would have to tank in order to miss the playoffs since Boston and NY play each other. Boston and NY also would have to sweep the Jays and Baltimore to even allow the Tribe to Tank. And, if one of Boston or NY tank, then that opens the door right up for Cleveland without a fight. The Tribe's toughest opponent will be us for a final 3 game set, but there is always the chance that if we clinch before the final 2 games of the season Ozzie could us the last two games of the series with the Tribe to get Viz/Marte/Duque some work, which gives the Tribe the edge in the series IMO.

yeah... well this sounds like one of my Math II story problems from tech school:

On a semi-cloudy day, a plane is flying west at 106MPH into a 17MPH N-NW headwind, and passes over a boat traveling north 25 MPH in an upstream current of 7 knots.

How many fish does the guy anchored off the west bank take home that day?

or something like that :tongue:

FielderJones
09-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Cleveland would have to tank in order to miss the playoffs since Boston and NY play each other. Boston and NY also would have to sweep the Jays and Baltimore to even allow the Tribe to Tank.

Define tank. 3-3 for their last 6? 2-4? NY and BOS have the same number of losses as CLE. Why would they have to sweep? I'm not buying the theory of Jndjan Jnvjncjbjljty any more, not after that loss to KC.

Chips
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM

:hijacked: If you use lower deck ticket stubs from an earlier game you can cover up the date and get down easily. The Dude and I did it every game last week.

my5thbench
09-26-2005, 04:15 PM
what happened to 1 game playoffs in the case of a tie?

tiebreaker???? what tiebreaker

Hitmen77
09-26-2005, 04:21 PM
The absolute worst case scenario IMO is that the Sox and Tribe end up in a tie at the end of the year, where the Sox are named the winner and the Tribe gets the WC.

:?: :?: :?: :?: Really? The absolute worst case scenario is that the Sox win the Division and the Tribe wins the WC? This is worse than the Sox finishing 2nd or (God forbid) the Sox missing the playoffs altogether?

Hey, I just made my 500th post!

nordhagen
09-26-2005, 05:23 PM
The rest that the starters gave the team during that series was crucial. You have a lot of guys who are much less effective when pitching so frequently. The main example would have to be Bobby Jenks. He was electric in his situational role and throwing 98-101 all day. The last week he pitched in 4 games and the toll it had on his velocity(topping out at 95 on thurs) was a big part to his struggles...marte(i still have little hope) needed the rest for his "neck" problems and the time off was crucial.

The time off for Marte was crucial to our sanity and blood pressure.

Flight #24
09-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Define tank. 3-3 for their last 6? 2-4? NY and BOS have the same number of losses as CLE. Why would they have to sweep? I'm not buying the theory of Jndjan Jnvjncjbjljty any more, not after that loss to KC.

(sigh)

Remember, NY plays BOS the final3, so one of them is guaranteed to get 2 losses right there. Thus to match the "tank" you project for the Toons, all they really have to do is lose 1 of their next 4, which when you look at their pitching is not that farfetched for either team.

ALC will have 2 playoff contenders and the final series will determine which of the Al Least teams get in and which one gets demolished by an ALC team in round #1.

Sox over LAAAAAA in 4, Tribe over NYY in 5, Sox over Tribe in 6.

chisoxfanatic
09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
:hijacked: If you use lower deck ticket stubs from an earlier game you can cover up the date and get down easily. The Dude and I did it every game last week.

Yea, after I told The Dude!!! :cool: