PDA

View Full Version : REAL magic number for playoffs

34rancher
09-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry if this has been stated, but I have been out of town for 3 weeks. I keep seeing the magic number listed places, but isn't the real number for the playoffs, 3 wins by the Whitesox? The way I see it, since Boston and New York play each other next weekend, then one of them is going to lose at least 2 more games this year giving them 66 losses (or more). Since for the White Sox to finish ahead of them (100% certain), they can have at most 65 losses, or go 3-4 the rest of the year. Just a thought.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Sorry if this has been stated, but I have been out of town for 3 weeks. I keep seeing the magic number listed places, but isn't the real number for the playoffs, 3 wins by the Whitesox? The way I see it, since Boston and New York play each other next weekend, then one of them is going to lose at least 2 more games this year giving them 66 losses (or more). Since for the White Sox to finish ahead of them (100% certain), they can have at most 65 losses, or go 3-4 the rest of the year. Just a thought.

Yes, it's referred to as the RIOT number.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Sorry if this has been stated, but I have been out of town for 3 weeks. I keep seeing the magic number listed places, but isn't the real number for the playoffs, 3 wins by the Whitesox? The way I see it, since Boston and New York play each other next weekend, then one of them is going to lose at least 2 more games this year giving them 66 losses (or more). Since for the White Sox to finish ahead of them (100% certain), they can have at most 65 losses, or go 3-4 the rest of the year. Just a thought.Do us a favor. PLEASE don't ask about ties.:o:

ilsox7
09-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Do us a favor. PLEASE don't ask about ties.:o:

Dear God please do not ask about them. It's not that difficult to understand, but there are many scenarios.

OEO Magglio
09-25-2005, 09:43 PM
Yup, if the sox win 3 games they're atleast the wildcard.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Do us a favor. PLEASE don't ask about ties.:o:

I'm going to the store and would like to buy my significant other a tie. What would you suggest? :D:

fuzzy_patters
09-25-2005, 11:14 PM

This is correct. I was just going to post this, in fact, when I saw your thread. If the Sox win the next two, the most losses they can have is 66, while the fewest number of losses the Boston/New York series's loser can have is also 66. One more win would lower the Sox's maximum number of losses to 65 and clinch the Wild Card.