PDA

View Full Version : Al Newman a class act (despite Twins uniform)

Whitesox029
09-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I was at today's game (YYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSS!) and I was sitting 4 rows up on the outfield side of the Sox dugout. In the second inning, Crede hit an absolute laser in our direction (pitch before his RBI single) and it partially hit a kid, about 6, on the arm. First, the guy who caught the ball on the rebound gave him the ball, which was a nice move in itself. Then, when he came back a few innings later with his arm wrapped up, Twins 3B coach Al Newman came over to make sure he was alright, and came over again pretty much every inning to talk to the kid and parents. It's nice to see there are guys who do this kind of thing in a world of spoiled millionaires (not that 3B coaches are typically millionaires...but you get the point).

JUribe1989
09-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Not only is he a class act, he is hilarious. When I went to an Angels/Twins game a few years go he joke around with me and my dad during the game.

elrod
09-25-2005, 11:53 PM
He had to go to the hospital after a game here in 2003. It was right after that the Twins got hot and won the division.

SOXPHILE
09-26-2005, 12:02 AM
He had to go to the hospital after a game here in 2003. It was right after that the Twins got hot and won the division.

Right. He actually had an aneurysm either right before or right after that game. One thing I heard, and I don't know if it's true or not, is that right before it happened, he had been eating some nachos or some sort of spicy food from the post (pre ?) game spread. After he had the aneurysm, he said that he still had the taste of the nachos "burned" into his senses for a couple of weeks afterword. He constantly had the taste of them still in his mouth, as if he had just eaten them.

chitownhawkfan
09-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Is he the guy who makes salad dressings?

UofCSoxFan
09-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I was at a game when drunk fans were heckling him like mad for some reason....he just laughed it off and encouraged them by dancing between pitches...great guy.

hose
09-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Good to hear the kid is ok .

I seen his Mom rush him up the stairs and he was crying, poor little guy.

Whitesox029
09-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Good to hear the kid is ok .

I seen his Mom rush him up the stairs and he was crying, poor little guy.
Yeah and like I said it was a nice move by the guy who gave him the ball. It was also good to see the Sox public relations people take care of it so swiftly and efficiently. It's just too bad no one told Crede about it or I'm sure he would have signed the ball.