PDA

View Full Version : Padres/Giants upcoming series

SOXfnNlansing
09-25-2005, 08:37 PM
77-82. That could be the record of the Padres and Giants entering the final 3 games next weekend..... providing that the Giants can sweep the 4 game series at Petco Park. The series begins tomorrow night. All I can say is that division so weak, anything can happen. I bet the Cardinals are licking their chops for that 1st round playoff!

pearso66
09-25-2005, 08:52 PM
dont the cardinals play the WC unless the WC comes from the NL central which it may not? I didn't think it mattered about record

cbrownson13
09-25-2005, 09:16 PM
dont the cardinals play the WC unless the WC comes from the NL central which it may not? I didn't think it mattered about record

Yes. The Cardinals will play the Wild Card winner, unless it is from the Central. I think he was assuming that Houston will win the Wild Card.

MarySwiss
09-26-2005, 11:13 AM
And believe it or not, the D'Backs still are hanging by a thread.
Sox/D'Backs WS = two games in Arizona, including the one where the Sox become 2005 Champs, and I am so there! :gulp:

Yeah, yeah, I know, the NL West winner is toast in the first round, but I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

DaleJRFan
09-26-2005, 11:23 AM
And believe it or not, the D'Backs still are hanging by a thread.
Sox/D'Backs WS = two games in Arizona, including the one where the Sox become 2005 Champs, and I am so there! :gulp:

Yeah, yeah, I know, the NL West winner is toast in the first round, but I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

I really like the changes made to that team for this year and I hope they can build on their young players for the future. Arizona have some very good players.. When the chips are down though, San Diego gets it done. I doubt they lose 4 straight to the Giants... We'll see, though!!

MUsoxfan
09-26-2005, 11:26 AM
I'm rooting for the Padres to pull out the broom this week. I've never had a problem with them like I've had with the Giants. Are they almost a lock to lose in the NLDS? Certainly. But I'd rather them make it than Barroids, Moisture Alou and the rest of that fantastic organization.

dcb33
09-26-2005, 01:56 PM
I really don't care who wins the West, but I hope whoever does finishes with a below .500 record, and I will be rooting for that team to win the Fall Classic as long as they don't face the Sox. The scandal that would result from having an 80-82 or 79-83 win the NL or World Series would force baseball to seriously reevaluate if not completely overhall the current BS Division/Wild Card setup.

ChiSoxRowand
09-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Yes. The Cardinals will play the Wild Card winner, unless it is from the Central. I think he was assuming that Houston will win the Wild Card.

Does anybody think LaRussa will tank any of the games against Houston this week?

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Giants are now 3 back! They just defeated the Padres by the score of 3 to 2. Randy Wynn knocked in the winning run in the top of the 9th with a triple that Brian Giles was unable to catch. This is pretty amusing, so I'm cheering for the Giants!

SOXfnNlansing
09-27-2005, 12:35 AM
Giants are now 3 back! They just defeated the Padres by the score of 3 to 2. Randy Wynn knocked in the winning run in the top of the 9th with a triple that Brian Giles was unable to catch. This is pretty amusing, so I'm cheering for the Giants! 3 more wins will make things really interesting

dcb33
09-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Does anybody think LaRussa will tank any of the games against Houston this week?

Not a chance. If you were LaRussa, why would you want to help the Astros into the postseason?

ChiSoxRowand
09-27-2005, 01:11 AM
Not a chance. If you were LaRussa, why would you want to help the Astros into the postseason?

Thats true, the Stros will be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. But if you're St. Louis you would rather play the west champion than Philly in the first round.

Mohoney
09-27-2005, 06:19 AM

You help them in because you GUARANTEE a trip to the NLCS.

To GUARANTEE skating past the 1st round and taking your chances when you get there wouldn't be bad strategy at all.

Think about if it was the AL West instead of the NL West. If the Angels were a .500 team and we already had our division clinched, wouldn't you tank the last 3 games in Cleveland to try and keep one of the AL East teams COMPLETELY out, have the dangerous Indians get into a dogfight with the survivor of the two, AND get to play against a .500 club in the ALDS?

The only way I DON'T tank the series against the Indians in this scenario is if I'm POSITIVE that the Yankees and Blowsux are BOTH less of a threat to me than a .500 team from the west coast.

To practically automatically get past an entire round of the playoffs, when I'm already guaranteed to go there, would make me do just about anything, ethical or otherwise, to make it so.

If we clinch this division on Thursday, we just might be in this same boat, given the facts that New York and Boston play each other the final weekend, and Oakland is eliminated from Wild Card contention.