PDA

View Full Version : Perfect scenario shaping up?

MERPER
09-25-2005, 07:32 PM
By no means am I saying the playoffs are a gurantee, but the last three days have made everyone breathe a bit easier... I thought I'd go back to July and see how people were feeling.. here were some of the big concerns:

1-- This team would clinch the division so early, they'd coast and be too relaxed as the playoffs began to compete in meaningful games again...

2-- Oakland, whom the Sox are 2-7 against and Boston gave everyone worries because the Sox struggle against them...

Well, here we are on Sept. 25... the Sox have had to play much more meaningful playoff-like games the past 2 weeks with the Indians keeping things close, meaning there was no time to let down the guard in the weeks leading up to Oct. 4...

In addition, Oakland is all but dead and Boston is in for a fight for their lives with the Yankees over the next week and may not get in either...

I couldn't be happier... cue the 'NANAS

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

A_ROW33
09-25-2005, 07:41 PM
All good points, i'd like to also add that in July (the end of it anyway) we were conscerned about our closer situation with hermanson's back, and now we have Jenks filling in as well as anyone could.

However as we all know problems still exist, most notably the fact that we have not clinched a spot yet. Also we are most likely looking at LA Anaheim, the most fundamentally sound all around team, in the division series.

chisoxfanatic
09-25-2005, 08:04 PM
However as we all know problems still exist, most notably the fact that we have not clinched a spot yet. Also we are most likely looking at Anaheim, the most fundamentally sound all around team, in the division series.

There's no telling on if Boston or New York gets that Wild Card. I'd think our Sox would be extra stoked to knock Cleveland out of Wild Card contention next weekend, favoring both the Carmines and Yanks.

SABRSox
09-25-2005, 08:38 PM
However as we all know problems still exist, most notably the fact that we have not clinched a spot yet. Also we are most likely looking at LA Anaheim, the most fundamentally sound all around team, in the division series.

A little note about Anaheim. I've been following them a bit this year, living in LA and all, and I'll tell you right now that their offense is just as streaky as the White Sox offense. To be honest, I'd love to take my chances against them. When they can't hit, they aren't much of a team. When they are hitting, you hope you have the pitching to shut them down. I think we do have that caliber pitching...

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 08:42 PM
A little note about Anaheim. I've been following them a bit this year, living in LA and all, and I'll tell you right now that their offense is just as streaky as the White Sox offense. To be honest, I'd love to take my chances against them. When they can't hit, they aren't much of a team. When they are hitting, you hope you have the pitching to shut them down. I think we do have that caliber pitching...Anaheim looks to me like a carbon copy of the White Sox with just a few differences. Statistically, they're almost dead even with the Sox in almost every category. They rely on pitching and defense. Although they have more big boppers, they're not really a high offense team. They've scored only 10 more runs than the Sox this year. And they run. Could be a very even match.

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
Clinching early with no real threat sure didn't help us in 1983, 1993 or 2000. They really look like a team that needed about 2 weeks (Angels (0-3), Royals(1-2), Twins(2-1), Indians(1-2), Twins 1st game) to "adjust" to playing high pressure baseball.

They seemed to have caught their second wind. A very different dynamic heading into the home stretch/post season then their recent post season appearances.

October baseball is a total crap shoot (who's hot, who's cold, who gets the breaks, who really steps up)....but I like our chances.

doublem23
09-25-2005, 08:48 PM
I was definitely thinking this while watching the game today... IMO, what killed the Sox in 2000 was that they clinched with 10 games left and played their worst stretch of baseball of the season from the Monday after the clincher to Game 3 in Seattle.

I was shaky about the pitching, but it is very refreshing to see Garcia and Buehrle have back-to-back solid starts. October baseball is a complete travishamockery, but the best thing you can do is go into the post-season clicking on all cylinders.

SABRSox
09-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Anaheim looks to me like a carbon copy of the White Sox with just a few differences. Statistically, they're almost dead even with the Sox in almost every category. They rely on pitching and defense. Although they have more big boppers, they're not really a high offense team. They've scored only 10 more runs than the Sox this year. And they run. Could be a very even match.

I feel that their starting pitching isn't quite as strong as the White Sox starting pitching. Once you get past Colon and Lackey their staff isn't dominating. The White Sox have 4, possibly 5 starting pitchers than can all be dominant. That's where I'd give the edge to the Sox.

soxwon
09-25-2005, 08:50 PM
There's no telling on if Boston or New York gets that Wild Card. I'd think our Sox would be extra stoked to knock Cleveland out of Wild Card contention next weekend, favoring both the Carmines and Yanks.

love to see tampa win 2 of 3 from clev
then us 2 of 3 and somehow no indians.

but it wont happen.

greenpeach
09-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Anaheim looks to me like a carbon copy of the White Sox with just a few differences. Statistically, they're almost dead even with the Sox in almost every category. They rely on pitching and defense. Although they have more big boppers, they're not really a high offense team. They've scored only 10 more runs than the Sox this year. And they run. Could be a very even match.

One big difference, they have Vlad Guerrero in rightfield & we don't.

SABRSox
09-25-2005, 08:55 PM
One big difference, they have Vlad Guerrero in rightfield & we don't.

Vlad Guerrero is easy. Pitch around him. The Angels lineup has done a terrible, terrible job of protecting him this year. If I'm not mistaken, they have a terrible record when teams have decided to pitch around Vlad.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 08:55 PM
One big difference, they have Vlad Guerrero in rightfield & we don't.And over 155 games they've scored a grand total of 10 more runs than the Sox. It takes more than Vlad Guerrero to win.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 09:02 PM
I feel that their starting pitching isn't quite as strong as the White Sox starting pitching. Once you get past Colon and Lackey their staff isn't dominating. The White Sox have 4, possibly 5 starting pitchers than can all be dominant. That's where I'd give the edge to the Sox.Byrd and Washburn aren't exactly chopped liver. Their W-L records don't reflect it, but they've done the job pretty well. Their bullpen is pretty solid, too - at least as good as the Sox.

Overall they've allowed only 3 more ER than the Sox. WHIP: 1.26 v. 1.28. BAA: .255 v. .249. Statistically, they're about as even as they can be.

TDog
09-25-2005, 09:09 PM
All four teams in the Central and East vying for three playoff slots are under great pressure to win. All are playing teams this week well behind in the standings before wrapping up the weekend with their only division rival. The west will get one team, no matter its record, but it won't get a wild card. Considering that Oakland is playing lowly Seattle, even the Angels are under great pressure to win. The fact that the Sox go into this week three up in the loss column over the closest teams is huge.

Still, the Sox have to win. You shouldn't need bulletin board material at this stage, but I hope the Sox remember some of the quotes coming out of the Tigers' clubhouse after Sox games this summer.

People across the country are talking about the Sox folding, but in truth this is a great race.

SABRSox
09-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Byrd and Washburn aren't exactly chopped liver. Their W-L records don't reflect it, but they've done the job pretty well. Their bullpen is pretty solid, too - at least as good as the Sox.

Overall they've allowed only 3 more ER than the Sox. WHIP: 1.26 v. 1.28. BAA: .255 v. .249. Statistically, they're about as even as they can be.

I think Washburn just spent some time on the DL with tendinitis. He may have come back off to pitch today though. At any rate, I still think that Byrd and Washburn are not as strong of pitchers than the White Sox have. Maybe it's because they both have low strikeout totals. Their defense gets the job done, but that's never a guarantee.

Of all the contenders, I'd like to take the Angels first, followed by New York, Cleveland, and Boston. I really hope Boston misses the playoffs.

Huisj
09-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Byrd and Washburn aren't exactly chopped liver. Their W-L records don't reflect it, but they've done the job pretty well. Their bullpen is pretty solid, too - at least as good as the Sox.

And as similar as the two teams are, do we ever hear anyone on TV making big predictions about how they are a fluke and shouldn't be this good and could fall apart any day? Did Mulletman ever predict that there would be crying in the beer in anaheim this season? Are they a lock to go 3-and-out in the playoffs?

I've haven't heard anything like that.

wassagstdu
09-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Like the Sox and the Dodgers in '59. . .

greenpeach
09-25-2005, 10:29 PM
And over 155 games they've scored a grand total of 10 more runs than the Sox. It takes more than Vlad Guerrero to win.

It's not just his hitting, he's an excellent fielder with a cannon for an arm. But you're right, we don't want him.

greenpeach
09-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Like the Sox and the Dodgers in '59. . .

Unfortunately, they had Larry Sherry & we didn't. Talk about one series making a career. Sheesh.

Cowhead418
09-25-2005, 10:33 PM
It's not just his hitting, he's an excellent fielder with a cannon for an arm. But you're right, we don't want him.
Yeah, because he sure made it clear that we don't want him.:rolleyes:

BainesHOF
09-25-2005, 10:39 PM
1. Things are looking much better for us, but we still have a lot to do to make the playoffs.

2. I agree it's much better to play meaningful games going into the playoffs.

3. It would be awesome if we win the division and Cleveland doesn't make the playoffs. The Indians are obviously the hottest team in baseball by far. If they would fall just short of the wild card, that would increase our chances considerably of winning the World Series.

greenpeach
09-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah, because he sure made it clear that we don't want him.:rolleyes:

Hey, that's the way I read his post. Why don't we let him defend himself ??