PDA

View Full Version : What do we do if Crazy Carl...

tifosiv122
09-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Doesn't wake up? Do we still let him become a huge hole in the post-season or do we have a decent alternative? I mean, he is our DH, if he can't hit, he's useless.

In his last 40 at bats, he's hit 6 times with 1 HR and only 2 RBIs. :whiner:

Erik

ND_Sox_Fan
09-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Right now, I'd rather have the pitchers hit - seriously.

Optipessimism
09-25-2005, 07:14 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd wouldn't mind seeing a Willie/Ozuna platoon out there to at least put some more speed in the line up. Pablo has hit all year and Willie has actually taken some nice cuts since coming back from AAA.

slavko
09-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking back to Bo Jackson saying in the playoffs: "We're playing a man short." (about Dan Pasqua) Try Gload as DH or 1B a few times before the season is over and don't be afraid to switch if it's called for.

rdwj
09-25-2005, 07:24 PM
To be honest, I'd rather have a higher average, less pop type guy in there. We have plenty of guys that can hit the ball out of the park.

Ozuna's my choice

Navaro's Talent
09-25-2005, 07:30 PM
I also wouldn't mind seeing Gload given the opportunity to hit. Last Septemeber, he proved that he can hit consistenly when given the proper amount of at-bats, so it's possible that he can get on a hot streak. Granted, he hasn't seen live pitching in a while, but even a few hits here and there is better than what Carl has been doing this second half of the season.

As far as Carl is concerned, I'm surprised he hasn't been able to get out of this porlonged slump of his. He's usually such a great clutch hitter that I expect him to at least get a productive out if he's not going to get a base hit. He had a pretty bad May to rebound well in June on limited plate appearances (thanks to Frank's return), so I still think he may be able to figure it out soon. After all, he's a veteran; he knows how to step it up in tight situations. I hope he can get going. If not, I'm all for Gload stepping in. Ozuna would be fine with me as well because of his speed. After watching the team getting back to stealing bases today, I think I'd like to see Ozuna in there more, so this team can get them in abundance.

Daver
09-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Drop back ten yards and punt.

Brian26
09-25-2005, 07:41 PM
I also wouldn't mind seeing Gload given the opportunity to hit.

This is eerily similar to our DH situation going into the '93 playoffs, not so much in having three guys battling for one spot, but the fact that the DH spot isn't producing and is bickering with the manager.

HotelWhiteSox
09-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Trade for Griffey

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Sorry, but I have to wonder about anyone who seriously wants to rely on Gload or Borchard or Ozuna in the playoffs. For better or worse, Everett is the guy, and they've got to figure out some way to get him back on track. He looked positively lost today. I don't think he managed so much as a foul tip. Maybe a day or two off. Maybe some psychoanalysis. I don't know. But what I do know is that Gload, Borchard and Ozuna are not the answers to any question I want to ask.

Viva Medias B's
09-25-2005, 07:58 PM
For those of you who were not at the game today, Crazy Carl was getting booed a lot today.

DickAllen72
09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
For those of you who were not at the game today, Crazy Carl was getting booed a lot today.
Were there a lot of Cubs fans there today? That's the kind of thing they do.

Banix12
09-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Sorry, but I have to wonder about anyone who seriously wants to rely on Gload or Borchard or Ozuna in the playoffs. For better or worse, Everett is the guy, and they've got to figure out some way to get him back on track. He looked positively lost today. I don't think he managed so much as a foul tip. Maybe a day or two off. Maybe some psychoanalysis. I don't know. But what I do know is that Gload, Borchard and Ozuna are not the answers to any question I want to ask.

Agreed. Maybe a day off would do him some good but Everett is the guy we are likely going to have to count on and right now he should be getting at-bats to try and pull him out of this slump before the playoffs start.

Gload and Borchard are likely just lateral moves from Everett's current state and probably won't be on the playoff roster. And Ozuna can't drive in runs like Everett can when he is going right.

Though keep him low in the order and the fans today were right to boo. I liked the lineup today with Rowand third in the order.

SoXPriDe33
09-25-2005, 09:24 PM
maybe he needs to sacrifice a live chicken for some extra power? :tongue:

tifosiv122
09-25-2005, 09:29 PM

We could hear it pretty clearly on TV as well...hey, he got a walk with his 3 Ks

:rolleyes:

Erik

TomBradley72
09-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Anyone else think Jermaine may be the guy for the #3 slot? I can't see a scenario where Carl isn't in the line up....no one on the bench is a better option....if he can get hot (you never know when the switch could go off)...along wth Dye/Konerko/Crede/Uribe....we'd be looking good.

SoxSideIrish
09-25-2005, 09:45 PM
i got it! electro-shock therapy! that'll do the trick!

ok, maybe thats not it, but i've been dying to get someone with a taser... :rolleyes:

FoulTerritory
09-25-2005, 10:12 PM

I'm fairly certain the fans are turning on him because he bitched about getting dropped in the lineup, not because he is sucking. there is a difference.

Banix12
09-25-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm fairly certain the fans are turning on him because he bitched about getting dropped in the lineup, not because he is sucking. there is a difference.

I think it was the combo of both.

Ol' No. 2
09-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Agreed. Maybe a day off would do him some good but Everett is the guy we are likely going to have to count on and right now he should be getting at-bats to try and pull him out of this slump before the playoffs start.

Gload and Borchard are likely just lateral moves from Everett's current state and probably won't be on the playoff roster. And Ozuna can't drive in runs like Everett can when he is going right.

Though keep him low in the order and the fans today were right to boo. I liked the lineup today with Rowand third in the order.I've never believed in playing through slumps. You just reinforce the bad mechanics that are causing it and you hurt the team in the meantime. Give him a couple of days off. With Johnson starting tomorrow they can start Gload at 1B and let Pauly DH. Start Ozuna the next day against Robertson. Ozzie is going to have to talk him down from wherever he is. Or maybe Harold can talk to him. OK, never mind Harold.:cool: Bring him out to a movie (Jurassic Park?). Anything. Somehow someone has got to get his head untwisted.

Domeshot17
09-25-2005, 10:47 PM
I hate to say this, but give me ozuna in the playoffs. He has a better average, OBP, can make things happen with his speed, I think his total package outweighs Everetts ability to POSSIBLY go 1-4 with a homer and 3 K's. I know I have been anti everett for most of the year, I just really think if you want to be a number 3 hitter, you better hit like a number 3 hitter. Right now, Crede Uribe ARow Dye AJ all Deserve to hit infront of Carl, so why not DH Ozuna, bat him 9 to turn the line up over. I mean could you imagine the havoc Ozuna and Pods could go on the bases together and the pitches Tada ( insert 3 hitter here) Paulie would see

Baseball is very much a what have you done for me lately game, and Carl, as good as you were in April, its time to put up or ride the bench.

gobears1987
09-25-2005, 11:38 PM
maybe he needs to sacrifice a live chicken for some extra power? :tongue:We can't have people puking their guts out in the clubhouse before the game!

SOXfnNlansing
09-26-2005, 12:12 AM
one word TIMO:bandance:

Soxfanspcu11
09-26-2005, 12:21 AM

No, that is not what cubs fans do. Cubs fans cheer moronically at every fly ball. With the exception of corey patterson, cubs fans are just clueless. Sox fans expect a certain level of performance, and when they dont get it, we voice our displeasure. This is a potential world series team with a "DH" batting under .250, not acceptable.

DaleJRFan
09-26-2005, 12:39 AM
maybe he needs to sacrifice a live chicken for some extra power? :tongue:

"I good to you. You no help me now, I say **** you Jo Boo, I do it myself."

Banix12
09-26-2005, 12:50 AM
one word TIMO:bandance:

Maybe for a game or two to give Carl a few days off to get his head together. However I would be seriously ticked off if Timo Perez was the full time DH going into the playoffs

mbwhitesox
09-26-2005, 01:52 AM
To me, it would make sense to give one of the call-ups a shot for a couple days. I mean Borchard is batting 1.000 this season with the club, he should be in there every game! Seriously though, he might be good for a home run every now and then, and this team will need every run it can get down the stretch. And Anderson basically single-handedly won that game for us against King Felix and the Mariners when he was up with the club earlier so he could get a shot.

I don't know what is wrong with Carl, but today was particuarly bad. Hell, even I could get up there and disinterestdly swing the bat a few times and head back to bench. Maybe they should make me the DH! :cool:

elrod
09-26-2005, 02:10 AM
I'd like to see Anderson in right and Jermaine as DH for a game or two. Carl needs a rest.

starboy0
09-26-2005, 08:45 AM

Yes he was. I didn't like hearing that. He did look completely out of sync up there and is going through an extended bad stretch. But he has contributed this year.

Maybe he just needs a road trip.

mrwag
09-26-2005, 09:15 AM
I'd like to see Anderson in right and Jermaine as DH for a game or two. Carl needs a rest.
Bingo. This would be the ideal solution for a few days. That'd give Carl some time to rest his head, and get some playing time for our future outfielder.

Jjav829
09-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Is there really much of a choice? We're gonna have to keep going with Everett and hope he can do something in the playoffs. Maybe against a tough righty we can give Timo a start or two. In late inning situations against righties we'll have to pinch hit for Everett. But otherwise we're gonna have to live with Everett in there every day. Hopefully Ozzie will keep batting him lower in the order.

Oh, and we can start counting the days until Everett is gone. Hopefully that isn't for another month or so though...

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2005, 09:35 AM

Bingo. This would be the ideal solution for a few days. That'd give Carl some time to rest his head, and get some playing time for our future outfielder.

No. Move Pods to DH, because he is the "weakest" outfielder, and the one we can least afford to lose to injury, and put Anderson in left.

MsSoxVixen22
09-26-2005, 09:41 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd wouldn't mind seeing a Willie/Ozuna platoon out there to at least put some more speed in the line up. Pablo has hit all year and Willie has actually taken some nice cuts since coming back from AAA.

I agree with you too. I'm surprised to say it too believe me! Maybe giving Carl a bit of a rest may help him get out of his slump. Might as well give Wille or Ozuna a chance. You know what I just thought of someone else, maybe even a crazier thought, what about Brian Anderson? Its worth a shot I think

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Carl Everett = BENCH I have not seen a guy more clueless at the plate than this guy right now. Struck out on 3 pitches yesterday, failed to make contact and move the runner up. This guy lost us some games

Hangar18
09-26-2005, 09:46 AM
No. Move Pods to DH, because he is the "weakest" outfielder, and the one we can least afford to lose to injury, and put Anderson in left.

This ............. is an excellent idea

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Brian Anderson? The Brian Anderson who has 5 hits in 28 AB? THAT Brian Anderson? Please. Just because he had one good game does not mean he's the answer. Anderson's time will come, but not this year.

This is not the time for trial-and-error substitution, trying to find a miracle. Carl needs a couple of days off to untangle his head, but they should use someone who's a little more proven than Brian Anderson. Play Gload today against Johnson and Ozuna tomorrow against Robertson.

kittle42
09-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Brian Anderson? The Brian Anderson who has 5 hits in 28 AB? THAT Brian Anderson? Please. Just because he had one good game does not mean he's the answer. Anderson's time will come, but not this year.

This is not the time for trial-and-error substitution, trying to find a miracle. Carl needs a couple of days off to untangle his head, but they should use someone who's a little more proven than Brian Anderson. Play Gload today against Johnson and Ozuna tomorrow against Robertson.

Great post.

List of people who should be in the lineup in the playoffs:

Carl Everett

List of people who should not be in the lineup in the playoffs:

Pablo Ozuna
Brian Anderson
Ross Gload

List of people who should never be in any lineup:

Joe Borchard
Timo Perez

knocko94
09-26-2005, 12:12 PM
What is Carl's contract situation for next year?

Kenny Williams never puts up with any crap, he's probably not to happy with Carl mouthing off about his spot in the order. I can't imagine him being happy with Carl sucking ass either.

kitekrazy
09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Carl Everett = BENCH I have not seen a guy more clueless at the plate than this guy right now. Struck out on 3 pitches yesterday, failed to make contact and move the runner up. This guy lost us some games

I agree. I was accused of being a dark cloud because I reufsed to ignore the multiple Ks Carl has yesterday. Even if you don't get a hit you can still have a quality at bat. It's like being in the NL with the pitcher batting. It's giving away an out.
Bench him. Make him spend some time in the cages.

CHEESESOXER
09-26-2005, 12:40 PM
I find it extremely strange to see someone who doesn't believe in dinosaurs becoming one.

Everett is a hole in the lineup.

Frater Perdurabo
09-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Brian Anderson? ..... Carl needs a couple of days off to untangle his head, but they should use someone who's a little more proven than Brian Anderson.

Someone suggested putting Anderson in for Dye, who would DH. My point was that if they wanted to get Anderson into the outfield, they should not have him replace Dye, who's been hot lately and leads all A.L. RFs in HRs (and plays great defense in right). If they wanted to get Anderson into the game to rest Carl, the best way to do that would be to have Pods DH and have Anderson play left.

Key difference: I wasn't advocating Anderson as the best option overall for giving Everett two games to get his head right with ball, but as the best option if Anderson had to be the player to replace Everett in the lineup.

However, Anderson isn't the worst option among those on the team because he has decent speed and power. Although he's young and inexperienced, he can lay down a great sac bunt, go from first to third on a single or even hit a home run. He's also excellent defensively, which isn't a bad thing considering the Sox will play four games in cavernous Comerica Park.

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Someone suggested putting Anderson in for Dye, who would DH. My point was that if they wanted to get Anderson into the outfield, they should not have him replace Dye, who's been hot lately and leads all A.L. RFs in HRs (and plays great defense in right). If they wanted to get Anderson into the game to rest Carl, the best way to do that would be to have Pods DH and have Anderson play left.

Key difference: I wasn't advocating Anderson as the best option overall for giving Everett two games to get his head right with ball, but as the best option if Anderson had to be the player to replace Everett in the lineup.

However, Anderson isn't the worst option among those on the team because he has decent speed and power. Although he's young and inexperienced, he can lay down a great sac bunt, go from first to third on a single or even hit a home run. He's also excellent defensively, which isn't a bad thing considering the Sox will play four games in cavernous Comerica Park.Look at Johnson's splits and tell me you don't want to use a lefty tonight. It's gotta be either Timo or Gload. I'd go with Gload if only because it gives Pauly a little bit of a breather.

The Dude
09-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I like these ideas already listed

1.)Putting Pods at DH for a few games and let Crazy "Cold" Carl rest and get his head straight
2.)JD in the # 3 hole for the rest of the season/playoffs
3.)Timo never in the game again and off the playoff roster.

I usually hate to see one of our players booed, but Carls comments last week combined with his horrible play are the reason's he is being booed. I think the comments irked most people into booing which is their right.

JB98
09-26-2005, 01:45 PM

I agree. I'm tired of listening to people calling for Gload, Anderson, Borchard, et al, to be in the everyday lineup. It's nonsense. Right now, the Sox need to do whatever it takes to get Carl out of his slump. He's our guy at DH. I'm not giving up on a hitter who is our third-leading run producer.

Ol' No. 2
09-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I agree. I'm tired of listening to people calling for Gload, Anderson, Borchard, et al, to be in the everyday lineup. It's nonsense. Right now, the Sox need to do whatever it takes to get Carl out of his slump. He's our guy at DH. I'm not giving up on a hitter who is our third-leading run producer.He's the third-leading run producer hitting in a lineup spot where he should be first. I'd love to have a better alternative, but they don't. All they really need is for him to have a few hot weeks. Any time he wants to start is fine with me.

Hangar18
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Im starting to feel bad for the guy ........... he is terrible.
wasnt for getting hit with the pitch twice ...........

munchman33
09-27-2005, 09:12 AM
Hangar I'm in agreement with you. He needs to sit. And he definately needs to not be our starting DH next season.

JRIG
09-27-2005, 09:15 AM
Hangar I'm in agreement with you. He needs to sit. And he definately needs to not be our starting DH next season.

...until we re-acquire him at mid-season for the stretch run.